Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: MOTU Classics Mekaneck Video Review by Pixel Dan

I think he looks great and can not wait to add him to my display. Thanks, Pixel Dan.
    Meow,
    Princess Selina Desire

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsexy_j View Post
    Great review Dan!

Well maybe he is just like how a lot of people say that Scott is? Just doesn't come off right in only writing? Is it totally wrong to ask Dan to scrape his free review figure on the arm or leg to see if this is becoming a new normal? Don't want him to miss something so that Scott can keep bringing it up as not a big deal.
    How many people personally "scrape" their figures when they get them? And even if it is free his reviews are excellent. I don't see why this such an issue now? Mattel has been painting plastic with this entire line, obviously to me the "black plastic issue" is overblown.

Cool figure from the neck down, but I'm not a fan of the head.
    It's not just the issue with the helemt placement, I'm not a fan of the vintage block-silver visor.
    How does he see? It just looks like it's solid metal. We know he's not blind, so how is he seeing out of that visor?
    I much prefer the clear green of the 200X, i'm wondering if there's some way of customising it to look like that?
    I am an illustrator, please check out my work:

www.facebook.com/lukespicerillustration

While this figure looks great I prefer 200X Mekaneck just like i do every time that it is an option. 200 X is what MOTU is to me because it had so much more visual diversity. This figure is part of my qualm with Classics, occasionally we get figures with no 200X influence and that is crappy. I don't want that era to be ignored and sometimes it is entirely. Mekaneck looks better IMO with more technical armor versus plain blue. I get that this line is inspired by the vintage line but it should improve that look instead of repeat it with more joints. It's the same issue with SLL wearing spandex looking armor. MAA looks soooooo much better me with the robot body parts and I think this guy would too. Hopefully the movie toys will be highly detailed unlike this line. I love Classics but sometimes I wish for more.

Heroic Warrior
    Caverns of Rakash (Formerly of Darksmoke)
    Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    "Different strokes" or "Takes one to know one."
    Yeah, I guess if you read that as him being a jerk, its probably because you're being a je...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Madison Carter View Post
    Different strokes then, because with the way he includes "were," "need" and all the insults about needing an assistant - inferring he can't do the job - it's very condescending and demanding in my eyes.
    I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt, rather than assuming the worst. That's just me though. It makes life happier all around, you should try it!

Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
    ... a pretty vanilla update on a core figure.
    I wish we got this with every figure!

Heroic Warrior
    Great review Dan!

Well maybe he is just like how a lot of people say that Scott is? Just doesn't come off right in only writing? Is it totally wrong to ask Dan to scrape his free review figure on the arm or leg to see if this is becoming a new normal? Don't want him to miss something so that Scott can keep bringing it up as not a big deal.
    I really mean no disrispect to DAN, the part of him needing an asisstant was in fact, sarcastic, hence the "pixel boy" name... But I truly belive that he should have scraped this figure that is given to him for free... that is my honest opinion, but sadly very few people seem to respect anotherīs person opinion...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Draego-Man View Post
    How about giving LANTERN-RO a break. He was saying what he thinks and meant no disrespect to Dan. The never ending witch hunts around this place get really, really tiring. Good god, lighten up people. We all have opinions, and LANTERN-RO expressed his respectfully so there should be NO problem here.

That said, I'd love to see a "Comparison Time" take a blow torch to all three versions of Mekaneck and see the result. That would be amazing!!
    Thanks man, I really mean no disrispect, that is just my opinion, but I didnīt notice that this thread was just to praise Dan's reviews (I really like his reviews, no sarcasm in that)

- - - Updated - - -

Great review Dan!

I fail to see why it is so wrong to ask a reviewer to scrap a figure he gets for free to review... no sarcasm here, I swear!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LANTERN-RO View Post
    Please Dan! You were the best motuc reviewer! but ultimately the reviews seems rushed... you need to adress as many issues as posible, and you need to work more on the figures, besides articulation and "comparasion time"....maybe you need an assistant? A sidekick? Pixel Boy perhaps??
    He already DOES have an assistant. A rather beautiful one (his wife) that works the camera while he does the "live" demonstration part of his review. I understand wanting to know more about the figure and the fact that Mattel gives us more to worry about with each figure is troubling, but IMO Dan does a great job reviewing the figures he receives. If you read around (fwoosh, afi, etc) you will see different reviewers touch more on different aspects. One man can't cover everything.
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

Heroic Warrior
    Scraping a figure should NOT be part of a review, because it's not normal usage of the product.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Lookie View Post
    He already DOES have an assistant. A rather beautiful one (his wife) that works the camera while he does the "live" demonstration part of his review. I understand wanting to know more about the figure and the fact that Mattel gives us more to worry about with each figure is troubling, but IMO Dan does a great job reviewing the figures he receives. If you read around (fwoosh, afi, etc) you will see different reviewers touch more on different aspects. One man can't cover everything.
    I get (and agree) that he does a great job, but he says that he dedicates a lot of time to this, so an assistant, or whatever you want to call it, doesnīt seem such a bad or disrespectfull idea, and to scrap a free figure semms logical (to me) but I repeat, that is just my honest opinion, nothing else...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hoffman View Post
    Scraping a figure should NOT be part of a review, because it's not normal usage of the product.
    I know it is not normal use, but is a way to hurry a normal wear process...

Heroic Warrior
    Caverns of Rakash (Formerly of Darksmoke)
    I agree. Free figures should be subject to robust tests and be there to answer fan questions. The point is to determine whether we want to buy our own or not. We want to know if he uses black plastic, and whether or not I buy this figure is contingent upon that very issue. I'd like a review that helps me with my purchasing decisions... we all can agree that that's the whole point right?

Destroy the figures! Destroy! Destroy! Destroy!
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

Evil Apologist of MattelŪ Count Marzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    Destroy the figures! Destroy! Destroy! Destroy!
    With fireworks!!

-=ĪEvilCøuntMarzøĪ=-
    BLÅĮK FLØWËRŠ!!!!

I need to know if these figures are shatter proof before I get them. Dan should do practical things like throw them hard as possible against a brick wall. Another practical test might be pressing them against a hot iron to see if the paint lasts a few seconds or just over a minute. I don't mean any disrespect, but you are a reviewer Dan and we expect to know these things.

If you find these requests time consuming, I'd suggest hiring a few assistants.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffman View Post
    Exactly.

... that is my honest opinion, but sadly very few people seem to respect anotherīs person opinion...

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks man, I really mean no disrispect, that is just my opinion, but I didnīt notice that this thread was just to praise Dan's reviews (I really like his reviews, no sarcasm in that)

- - - Updated - - -

I fail to see why it is so wrong to ask a reviewer to scrap a figure he gets for free to review... no sarcasm here, I swear!!!
    And seemingly "most" others opinions are similar, it is not something you would normally do with a figure. And I don't think I've seen any of the the other review sites do intentional damage to figures?

I get (and agree) that he does a great job, but he says that he dedicates a lot of time to this, so an assistant, or whatever you want to call it, doesnīt seem such a bad or disrespectfull idea, and to scrap a free figure semms logical (to me) but I repeat, that is just my honest opinion, nothing else...

- - - Updated - - -

I know it is not normal use, but is a way to hurry a normal wear process...
    Umm... are you playing with them outside? or slamming them against each other in battle? Or giving them to kids to play with (who would care less if the paint scraped off from playinfg with them?

I agree. Free figures should be subject to robust tests and be there to answer fan questions. The point is to determine whether we want to buy our own or not. We want to know if he uses black plastic, and whether or not I buy this figure is contingent upon that very issue. I'd like a review that helps me with my purchasing decisions... we all can agree that that's the whole point right?
    Sounds like you have many more issues than most when determining to buy a figure than most? As long as it is reviewed for it's intended purpose and shown as such I'm thinking that is a pretty good review? Maybe you should check out some other MOTUC reviews where they rip the review samples apart...... oh wait there aren't any?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    I need to know if these figures are shatter proof before I get them. Dan should do practical things like throw them hard as possible against a brick wall. Another practical test might be pressing them against a hot iron to see if the paint lasts a few seconds or just over a minute. I don't mean any disrespect, but you are a reviewer Dan and we expect to know these things.
    Despite your sarcasm I think that to test a figure is the point of a free sample, not to complete DAN's collection in mint condition, but maybe Dan thinks the free figure is a form of "payment" for his review? That would explain why he want to keep it scratch free...

- - - Updated - - -

That was exactly my point...

Despite your sarcasm I think that to test a figure is the point of a free sample, not to complete DAN's collection in mint condition, but maybe Dan thinks the free figure is a form of "payment" for his review? That would explain why he want to keep it scratch free...

- - - Updated - - -

That was exactly my point...
    Wasn't being sarcastic. I'm on the Lantern-Ro train all the way. CHOO! CHOO!

Now let's hire some assistants and tear these figures apart!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by cbomb23 View Post
    Maybe you should check out some other MOTUC reviews where they rip the review samples apart...... oh wait there aren't any?
    Because reviewers keep the figures for their collection instead of testing them... And a scratch in an articulation is not as rare....

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe I'm taking this so seriusly no?

CHOO CHOO! C'mon ride that train! That Lantern-Ro Train!
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

Heroic Warrior
    Because reviewers keep the figures for their collection instead of testing them... And a scratch in an articulation is not as rare....

- - - Updated - - -
    And keeping it for the collection is wrong how? And if they are using the articulation and it is'nt "scraping off" or it is that should be good enough should'nt it? Or should they be scraping the faces to see if they are painted or plastic colored?

Please Dan (and others) keep doing the excellent jobs that you do, please don't feel pressured by the few to start disfiguring your review samples.

Heroic Warrior
    And keeping it for the collection is wrong how?.
    It is not wrong, it is just not their original porpouse, the samples are meant to be reviewed...

- - - Updated - - -

Please Dan (and others) keep doing the excellent jobs that you do, please don't feel pressured by the few to start disfiguring your review samples.
    Sure they need your permission to not feel pressured....

Pretty sure Dan throws those figures into the dumpster after he reviews them, so him keeping them is pretty moot.

Heroic Warrior
    Pretty sure Dan throws those figures into the dumpster after he reviews them, so him keeping them is pretty moot.
    nothing wrong with him keeping them, it is just not their original porpouse, the samples are meant to be reviewed...

All right - I think the point has been made here. Let's move on from the back and forth. Please take it to PM if needed.

Great review Dan, looking forward to ol' Meckie as well as the rest of the reviews! With all the figures coming + Power-Con, this is one awesome MOTU month!
    Subscribe now for MOTUC 2015! Every sub counts!