Thread: MOTU Classics Frosta Video Review by Pixel Dan

Hybrid View

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar

MOTU Classics Frosta Video Review by Pixel Dan

Trying to hammer out these videos today! Here's Frosta!

Enjoy! Additional questions, please ask and I'll do my best to follow up!
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Heroic Warrior
    Caverns of Rakash (Formerly of Darksmoke)
    Great, thanks Dan! Keep up the great work!!

She looks awesome! The face sculpt looks great in the video. No more concerns here. I'm not even convinced her forearms are switched based on that video.

I do think the hair is too dark, but not that big of a deal. Not sure why they couldn't have used a lighter blue translucent plastic, basically like what they used for her shield.

Oh, and in the crotch area, it just looks like panties to me... no big deal either, so no need to scratch them.
    Last edited by Draego-Man; September 8, 2012 at 02:21pm.

Thanks Dan.

I honestly think Frosta looks fantastic and the face looks great on your figure. Can't wait to get her.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubilation View Post
    Thanks Dan.

I honestly think Frosta looks fantastic and the face looks great on your figure. Can't wait to get her.
    I think she looks great too!

Thanks Dan! Frosta is good enough for me. I think she looks very Filmation and if I get one with reversed forearms, it should be an easy fix. I really don't mind what they look like reversed, but I'll have to judge it in person should mine have that issue.

I still think, as I have since first reveal, that the hair sculpt looks sloppy and not what I would expect from artists the caliber of the 4H. I do, however, like the translucent plastic, that was a nice touch.
    Congratulations! MOTUC 2015!

scaly 2014 Subscriber! Dragonblaster's Avatar
    Nice review Dan
    Why didn't you mention her back being unpainted though?

I really like how Frosta looks with her accessories btw. Now I need to find myselk a nice "ice bridge" base for her to stand / skate on.
    Now I'm desparately waiting for your Dragon Blaster Skelly review!!!
    Press down on dragon's head. It will bite off your frickin' fingers !!!

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonblaster View Post
    Nice review Dan
    Why didn't you mention her back being unpainted though?

I really like how Frosta looks with her accessories btw. Now I need to find myselk a nice "ice bridge" base for her to stand / skate on.
    Now I'm desparately waiting for your Dragon Blaster Skelly review!!!
    Actually, it doesn't look unpainted to me. It looks like it's supposed to be all white like that. Maybe I'm wrong, but it looks fine to me. *shrugs*

Thanks guys! Glad you're enjoying the video! I really do think the face looks great on mine! Just those cursed switched forearms! Argh!
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Filmation fan & proud redsquadron's Avatar
    Nice figure! Think the cartoon version is hotter though...
    Maybe Mattel are avoiding the white plastic because of the yellowing issue. As collectables rather than toys, they need to have a longer shelf life than your average toy figure... just a guess.
    Last edited by redsquadron; September 8, 2012 at 02:36pm.
    I survived the 2013 sub ordeal!
    "We achieved the impossible, and that makes us MIGHTY" (Mal Reynolds, captain of Serenity)

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Wow, Dan...out of your sample, Fwoosh and ActionFigureInsider, facially that Frosta looks like the best one that I've seen yet.

I'm sure you can heat and pop the arms gloves and hands to their correct places, right?

I'm not sure why Mattel doesn't like brilliant white, but it's consistent with what we've gotten before. Old She-Ra, original Teela, Sorceress and even Zodak rock that light gray color on their costumes.

I'm a little dismayed about the back of her bodice not being painted. While it's not a big issue, it looks like something that Mattel should have painted. Cost cutting?
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; September 8, 2012 at 02:28pm.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post

I'm not sure why Mattel doesn't like brilliant white, but it's consistent with what we've gotten before. Old She-Ra, original Teela, Sorceress and even Zodak rock that light gray color on their costumes.
    I personally like the "off-white". Pure white usually looks cheap to me on figures.

Plus, as you mentioned, it's consistent. At this point, I'd rather them keep consistency so my entire collection is similar. I'd hate to have 3 years of off-white figures, and then a couple with bright white figures.

And it's not just MOTUC, all of the white DCUC figures are slightly grey as well.

scaly 2014 Subscriber! Dragonblaster's Avatar
    Know what I'm going to do? I'll drybrush her (off)white areas with some "metallic medium".
    It'll make the white shine/shimmer like ice!
    Press down on dragon's head. It will bite off your frickin' fingers !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Draego-Man View Post
    Great, thanks Dan! Keep up the great work!!

She looks awesome! The face sculpt looks great in the video. No more concerns here. I'm not even convinced her forearms are switched based on that video.

I do think the hair is too dark, but not that big of a deal. Not sure why they couldn't have used a lighter blue translucent plastic, basically like what they used for her shield.

Oh, and in the crotch area, it just looks like panties to me... no big deal either, so no need to scratch them.
    So she is wearing crotchless tights then?
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

While I think she could be better, I think she could be far worse. I give her a B. I'm excited to get her.

I'm curious what that translucent hair looks like in front of a light source.

And Pixel Dan is correct. Great to have her to bolster the GR ranks, and LONG overdue! They could shut up a lot of POP fans by releasing a couple of GR two packs. Say Angella and Glimmer, and Mermista and Castaspella. The snake men and NA need a bit more attention as well.

Thanks Dan. Frosta is my favorite POP character so I was concerned when I started seeing all the posts and reviews the last few days. Your video has me optimistic that I will get a great figure.
    My blog: huckthedog.com

My trade feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=174899

The issues are annoying, but overall I'm still pretty happy as long as mine have correct forearms. I might try to add a lighter blue paint on her hair though. I don't know if it's just video/pictures but I wish the line on the back of her hair between light and dark wasn't so distinct. I'm hoping it's less so on the actual figure.

I will say, I'm sure it was unintentional, but your sign off sounded almost angry! LOL.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

Heroic Warrior
    I'm still undecided about this figure. It's one of my favorite POP characters, but the flaws are what's keeping me from buying it.

There's worse : given the fact Matty seems to botch many female figures, and especially Great Rebellion figures, I think I might give up all of the future Great Rebellion characters.

Pixel Dan's comments on Frosta's face are not enough to convince me : I've seen with my own eyes what Frosta could have looked like (cf. Eamon's Frosta face), and the face we're getting seems once again to mean "That's your Frosta, people !". The problem was totally ignored and dismissed under the "all sculpts are final" policy.

The reversed forearms are not acceptable at this point. And NO, Pixel Dan, I don't think this will be an "isolated case". YOUR figure, the figure you previewed, had that problem ? Then, too bad for Matty : I personally consider that there's too big a risk that this problem will be widespread.

I already made too many concessions for other, earlier figures. I don't feel like getting yet another botched figure.

Then, there's the white legs pegs... this kind of issue has already been raised many times before : the legs pegs should be made in the SAME colour as the legs ! The white leg pegs on Frosta are too apparent, and it doesn't look good. Once again, Matty ignored the fans' voices.

I'm still undecided, but the more I write about Frosta, the more I realize I've had enough with these design and QC issues. Right now, I feel like passing this figure. I'll take my decision once I'm calm and cold-blooded again, but let's say that right now, I have a bad opinion on MOTUC Frosta.

The only great point about this figure seems to be the articulations... I'll see whether this is enough for me to buy it. But it's already clear that it is NOT worth the 50 euros I'll have to spend for it !

Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post
    I'm still undecided about this figure. It's one of my favorite POP characters, but the flaws are what's keeping me from buying it.

There's worse : given the fact Matty seems to botch many female figures, and especially Great Rebellion figures, I think I might give up all of the future Great Rebellion characters.

Pixel Dan's comments on Frosta's face are not enough to convince me : I've seen with my own eyes what Frosta could have looked like (cf. Eamon's Frosta face), and the face we're getting seems once again to mean "That's your Frosta, people !". The problem was totally ignored and dismissed under the "all sculpts are final" policy.

The reversed forearms are not acceptable at this point. And NO, Pixel Dan, I don't think this will be an "isolated case". YOUR figure, the figure you previewed, had that problem ? Then, too bad for Matty : I personally consider that there's too big a risk that this problem will be widespread.

I already made too many concessions for other, earlier figures. I don't feel like getting yet another botched figure.

Then, there's the white legs pegs... this kind of issue has already been raised many times before : the legs pegs should be made in the SAME colour as the legs ! The white leg pegs on Frosta are too apparent, and it doesn't look good. Once again, Matty ignored the fans' voices.

I'm still undecided, but the more I write about Frosta, the more I realize I've had enough with these design and QC issues. Right now, I feel like passing this figure. I'll take my decision once I'm calm and cold-blooded again, but let's say that right now, I have a bad opinion on MOTUC Frosta.

The only great point about this figure seems to be the articulations... I'll see whether this is enough for me to buy it. But it's already clear that it is NOT worth the 50 euros I'll have to spend for it !
    I never saw it coming that you'd feel this way about a figure.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Roton 4) Dragstor 5) Saurod 6) Karg 7) Lodar 8) Mask of Power Demons 9) TC Skeletor 10) FF He-Man 11) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 12) Road Ripper 13) Lord Masque 14) Filmation Teela

Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post

The problem is that Toyguru will just say, "See? POP Stinks and no one wants to buy these characters. Ha Ha!" - if people don't buy her.

Though, she's already sold what she needs to because she's a Subscription figure! So...

But don't give up on the GR characters I've been waiting this long for some of my favorite MOTU/POP/NA characters, all the while appreciating the rest, but if people start bailing now, it's really going to sting. (no pun intended there).
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

I want more of everything but the Snake Men have had a banner year. I think we can go a few more reveals without another.
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2015!!!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Cool () Review!!!
    I for one, not originally a Big POP person (that was my sister's side of the playroom) but am Happy they are part of the Classics line! They definitely add up the figure count and are working well, albeit the color spectrum tends to go brighter with these characters. I'm diggin it!

One thing that I started to notice with the POP, or for that matter Great Rebellion faction is they are all incorporating the shield. And I'm beginning to look at it in the sense the shields are a "Rebellion" item in which each member has one given to them after proof of service and commitment which can possibly do something such as keep in contact with other Rebellion members a la the crystals or jewels in them (I know they are done on these shields but weren't they originally?); or maybe the jewels do something unique?

I see it that once Queen Angella appoints a member to the Rebellion, the Star Sisters help forge the shield with a jewel unique to the member? Sort of tying it all to the Crystal Castle as well? Just a thought...
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

I don't think she is without flaws, and I don't want to marginalize the problems too much, but we've taken a lot of female characters now with warts and all. IMO the Sorceress was botched horribly by those drums and a kind of bland face. Teela, a star of the female characters, has an unforgivable bobble head and overly hard leotard but as yet no rerelease. Queen Marlena has those awful iris-less eyes and non-puffy sleeves. Adora had the granny pants (IMO a very minor problem compared to others). And there was the first bland She-Ra figure. I am kind of shocked and grateful they put the effort into "fixing" She-Ra with the BP variant considering, even though I had to buy two figures to get the one I wanted. But still, this is such a pattern now I don't expect a change and even think Mattel is just waiting to see how long customers keep buying the flawed stuff rather than looking at how to fix the flaws and attract more customers (and by making a huge deal out of every flaw, I feel we even contribute to the exodus of customers, though not THAT much). All I can say is that she looks better than she looked in that first showing even if the translucent hair is too dark.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

Heroic Warrior
    Almost any figure from any toyline from any company has some sort of flaw that could be pointed out. To imply that it's only the female figures of one line from one toy company is totally unfair.

I could honestly look at any of the thousands of figures I own and point out some sort of "flaw".

This review madee more optimistic about Frosta to be honest. The face sculpt came out very nicely and the hair doesn't look as bad as I'd feared.

I've decided to buy two Frostas and paint over one of their hair. I've never customised a figure so I thought I'd give it a go. She'd look better with lighter hair, as in the series, but if I botch it I won't be majorly disappointed.

Hopefully she'll sell well and we'll see more POP soon after Netossa (who I'm also totally excited about!).

Quote Originally Posted by Hoffman View Post
    Almost any figure from any toyline from any company has some sort of flaw that could be pointed out. To imply that it's only the female figures of one line from one toy company is totally unfair.

I could honestly look at any of the thousands of figures I own and point out some sort of "flaw".
    I'm not sure if you meant that for me, but I certainly didn't say or imply that only female figures have flaws. That said though, I've had to overlook flaws in a lot of the major female characters, and I don't consider Teela's bobble head or Sorceress's drums to be "flaws" just up to personal taste. Now that there's so much to notice about Frosta I'm getting dead to it and just expect something to be amiss with new figures--such that probably will enrage a lot of fans who haven't gotten as worn out as I have. I am still very grateful Shadow Weaver is such a good figure though.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406