Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MOTU Classics Frosta Video Review by Pixel Dan

Frosta looks fantastic! Hopefully the forearms are an isolated incident. Thank you for another great review Dan!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Thanks Dan. Frosta is my favorite POP character so I was concerned when I started seeing all the posts and reviews the last few days. Your video has me optimistic that I will get a great figure.
    My blog: huckthedog.com

My trade feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=174899

The issues are annoying, but overall I'm still pretty happy as long as mine have correct forearms. I might try to add a lighter blue paint on her hair though. I don't know if it's just video/pictures but I wish the line on the back of her hair between light and dark wasn't so distinct. I'm hoping it's less so on the actual figure.

I will say, I'm sure it was unintentional, but your sign off sounded almost angry! LOL.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm still undecided about this figure. It's one of my favorite POP characters, but the flaws are what's keeping me from buying it.

There's worse : given the fact Matty seems to botch many female figures, and especially Great Rebellion figures, I think I might give up all of the future Great Rebellion characters.

Pixel Dan's comments on Frosta's face are not enough to convince me : I've seen with my own eyes what Frosta could have looked like (cf. Eamon's Frosta face), and the face we're getting seems once again to mean "That's your Frosta, people !". The problem was totally ignored and dismissed under the "all sculpts are final" policy.

The reversed forearms are not acceptable at this point. And NO, Pixel Dan, I don't think this will be an "isolated case". YOUR figure, the figure you previewed, had that problem ? Then, too bad for Matty : I personally consider that there's too big a risk that this problem will be widespread.

I already made too many concessions for other, earlier figures. I don't feel like getting yet another botched figure.

Then, there's the white legs pegs... this kind of issue has already been raised many times before : the legs pegs should be made in the SAME colour as the legs ! The white leg pegs on Frosta are too apparent, and it doesn't look good. Once again, Matty ignored the fans' voices.

I'm still undecided, but the more I write about Frosta, the more I realize I've had enough with these design and QC issues. Right now, I feel like passing this figure. I'll take my decision once I'm calm and cold-blooded again, but let's say that right now, I have a bad opinion on MOTUC Frosta.

The only great point about this figure seems to be the articulations... I'll see whether this is enough for me to buy it. But it's already clear that it is NOT worth the 50 euros I'll have to spend for it !

Hover Robots in MOTUC! RockinHard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post
    I'm still undecided about this figure. It's one of my favorite POP characters, but the flaws are what's keeping me from buying it.

There's worse : given the fact Matty seems to botch many female figures, and especially Great Rebellion figures, I think I might give up all of the future Great Rebellion characters.

Pixel Dan's comments on Frosta's face are not enough to convince me : I've seen with my own eyes what Frosta could have looked like (cf. Eamon's Frosta face), and the face we're getting seems once again to mean "That's your Frosta, people !". The problem was totally ignored and dismissed under the "all sculpts are final" policy.

The reversed forearms are not acceptable at this point. And NO, Pixel Dan, I don't think this will be an "isolated case". YOUR figure, the figure you previewed, had that problem ? Then, too bad for Matty : I personally consider that there's too big a risk that this problem will be widespread.

I already made too many concessions for other, earlier figures. I don't feel like getting yet another botched figure.

Then, there's the white legs pegs... this kind of issue has already been raised many times before : the legs pegs should be made in the SAME colour as the legs ! The white leg pegs on Frosta are too apparent, and it doesn't look good. Once again, Matty ignored the fans' voices.

I'm still undecided, but the more I write about Frosta, the more I realize I've had enough with these design and QC issues. Right now, I feel like passing this figure. I'll take my decision once I'm calm and cold-blooded again, but let's say that right now, I have a bad opinion on MOTUC Frosta.

The only great point about this figure seems to be the articulations... I'll see whether this is enough for me to buy it. But it's already clear that it is NOT worth the 50 euros I'll have to spend for it !
    I never saw it coming that you'd feel this way about a figure.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Skeletor's Robot Knights 2) Stridor 3) Night Stalker 4) Tung Lashor 5) Squeeeze 6) Lizard Man 7) Battle Ram (back-half!) 8) Roton 9) Multi-Bot 10) Ninjor 11) Dragstor 12) Saurod 13) Blast-Attak 14) Karg 15) Gwildor 16) Lodar 17) Mask of Power Demons

Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post

The problem is that Toyguru will just say, "See? POP Stinks and no one wants to buy these characters. Ha Ha!" - if people don't buy her.

Though, she's already sold what she needs to because she's a Subscription figure! So...

But don't give up on the GR characters I've been waiting this long for some of my favorite MOTU/POP/NA characters, all the while appreciating the rest, but if people start bailing now, it's really going to sting. (no pun intended there).
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Sweet Bee, Arrow, Spinnerella, NA She-Ra, Mermista, Gwildor, Hover-Bots, Tung Lasher, Angella, Ninjor, Huntara, Oo-Larr, Lizard Man, Sssqueeze, Peekablue... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Heroic Warrior
    The problem is that Toyguru will just say, "See? POP Stinks and no one wants to buy these characters. Ha Ha!" - if people don't buy her.
    Knowing his machiavellian mind, I know that's what he could be tempted to say and do. But honestly... I don't care anymore.

I'm not a huge POP fan, but still... I like many POP characters, and would welcome them in my collection IF they're great and unflawed, and IF they're worth the money I spend. The QC issues (those damned reversed Frosta forearms, for pete's sake !!!) are the main reason that prevented me from buying several figures this year. I don't feel that Frosta is a great figure. She's an "OK" figure, but most of all, she's ONE MORE FIGURE suffering from the SAME OLD FLAW(S) ! And I'm really fed up with those flaws at this point... Matty never bothered to fix a thing, and my patience has now reached its ultimate limit.

I'm not sure I'll drop all of the Great Rebellion. I just wrote this out of pure rage. But I'm so annoyed by all the QC issues (anf even more so by the RECURRENT ones) that I just might drop it. Only time will tell...

Heroic Warrior
    She looks excellent in your review. Thanks Dan!

The review reeks of positive 'spin' which is cool, as from a fan point you'd want to emphasize the positive over the negative in your review.

However after reading bcrduke's post, I think this Q&A Ask Matty response deserves re-posting to back up bcrduke's post:

GreatRebellion.org

Arthur asks: Matty, you often tell us POP fans that we're more louder than numerous. Ever thought on releasing a numbered limited series of POP three packs at higher prices to finish off POP? Sure if you can do a sub for 6 figures a year you can do one for say 2 yearly 3-packs at $150 each or so.

No, we do not have plans for something like this. We'll be excited to see how Frosta sells to see how big the POP fan base is!
    To translate that answer: We know we totally screwed up Frosta (like we did King Hsss, Roboto, Stinkor) but this is your Frosta. She's what has been produced, so buy her regardless of the final products quality. If you don't, then we won't give you more POP as we now have an excuse not to make them or limit the skus they get.

*Sometime next year...*: "We produced a fantastic Frosta last year, that the reviewers totally loved, yet her day of sales were not encouraging like we hoped, so we might have to scale back the skus POP gets in 2014."
    10 figures I still need: 10/Peekablue, 9/Sssqueeze, 8/Lizard Man, 7/Hunga the Harpy, 6/Gwildor, 5/Filmation Clawful, 4/Mermista, 3/Tung Lashor, 2/Dylamug, 1/Queen Angella.

Okay, this review helped me accept the imperfections of the figure.

The face looks good. Personally, I preferred the first version we saw when she was revealed. I definitely don't like the gray/white color. Why on earth can't these figures be bright? My favorite He-Man is the TRU version because he is bright. I just don't get the dulling down of the colors.

But yeah, Frosta rocks. Can't wait to get her. If I can afford it, I will be buying a couple more than my subs cover. I think my niece is going to LOVE her.
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

She's lookin' a lot better now; I think the lighting and the closeups at the Fwoosh review made me a little more wary (of course, I am in no way bashing the awesome Fwoosh reviews). She looks good in-hand and at different angles (which was also mentioned in the Fwoosh review, since her profile is much better).

Anyway, I'm looking forward to her! Sucks that her arms could be reversed, but it looks like they function the same and I honestly don't care which way the gloves are pointed. One way or another I think she ain't bad!
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by blackiecats View Post
    The review reeks of positive 'spin' which is cool, as from a fan point you'd want to emphasize the positive over the negative in your review.

However after reading bcrduke's post, I think this Q&A Ask Matty response deserves re-posting to back up bcrduke's post:

To translate that answer: We know we totally screwed up Frosta (like we did King Hsss, Roboto, Stinkor) but this is your Frosta. She's what has been produced, so buy her regardless of the final products quality. If you don't, then we won't give you more POP as we now have an excuse not to make them or limit the skus they get.

*Sometime next year...*: "We produced a fantastic Frosta last year, that the reviewers totally loved, yet her day of sales were not encouraging like we hoped, so we might have to scale back the skus POP gets in 2014."
    My Frosta is getting re-worked to look the way she should. I know the majority seems to approve of her as is, and the sculpt IS good - I just can't get past those eyes.

I know these are just toys, but I love them, and I think the design team has made some really bizarre choices as of late. This figure, unfortunately, is a shining example of that.
    Classics TGR figures should be Filmation-based, but they NEED MORE COWBELL!

Frosta looks terrific and I'm so excited to bolster my GR ranks. I can finally start a second shelf with the Star Sisters, Snout Spout (and Netossa soon enough) and have She-Ra & Swift Wind alongside Bow and Frosta on the top shelf reserved for A-listers. The white joints under the skirt are definitely annoying but hopefully I will not see it too often. As for her hair, I think it looks terrific. While I usually like these figures to look as Filmation as possible this definitely looks much more like an ice empresses hair should. Can't wait for this one to arrive on my doorstep!
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2015!!!

Powers of Grayskull Lord Snake Hunter's Avatar
    Yep, the proto was incredible better. The forearms can be easily swappable (AGAIN!!!)

Gray instead of white -- stupid decision.
    TOP 20 MOTUC ITEMS WISHLIST
    -SONGSTER -KARG -CALIX -SCROLLOS -SAGITAR -CLAWDEEN -GRANITA
    -QUEEN ANDREENO -CERATOS -KULATAK ELDER
    -BIONATOPS -TURBODACTYL -TYRANTISAURUS -BATTLERAPTOR
    -METEORBS -ORACLE -QUEEN VEENA -GRAY -ODIPHUS -MONSTROID

2015 NA SUB (EXCLUSIVE: Darius)
    -Weaponstronic, Tuskador, Kayo, Lizorr, Staghorn, Hoove

Quote Originally Posted by Draego-Man View Post
    Great, thanks Dan! Keep up the great work!!

She looks awesome! The face sculpt looks great in the video. No more concerns here. I'm not even convinced her forearms are switched based on that video.

I do think the hair is too dark, but not that big of a deal. Not sure why they couldn't have used a lighter blue translucent plastic, basically like what they used for her shield.

Oh, and in the crotch area, it just looks like panties to me... no big deal either, so no need to scratch them.
    So she is wearing crotchless tights then?
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

While I think she could be better, I think she could be far worse. I give her a B. I'm excited to get her.

I'm curious what that translucent hair looks like in front of a light source.

And Pixel Dan is correct. Great to have her to bolster the GR ranks, and LONG overdue! They could shut up a lot of POP fans by releasing a couple of GR two packs. Say Angella and Glimmer, and Mermista and Castaspella. The snake men and NA need a bit more attention as well.

I want more of everything but the Snake Men have had a banner year. I think we can go a few more reveals without another.
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2015!!!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Cool () Review!!!
    I for one, not originally a Big POP person (that was my sister's side of the playroom) but am Happy they are part of the Classics line! They definitely add up the figure count and are working well, albeit the color spectrum tends to go brighter with these characters. I'm diggin it!

One thing that I started to notice with the POP, or for that matter Great Rebellion faction is they are all incorporating the shield. And I'm beginning to look at it in the sense the shields are a "Rebellion" item in which each member has one given to them after proof of service and commitment which can possibly do something such as keep in contact with other Rebellion members a la the crystals or jewels in them (I know they are done on these shields but weren't they originally?); or maybe the jewels do something unique?

I see it that once Queen Angella appoints a member to the Rebellion, the Star Sisters help forge the shield with a jewel unique to the member? Sort of tying it all to the Crystal Castle as well? Just a thought...
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

I don't think she is without flaws, and I don't want to marginalize the problems too much, but we've taken a lot of female characters now with warts and all. IMO the Sorceress was botched horribly by those drums and a kind of bland face. Teela, a star of the female characters, has an unforgivable bobble head and overly hard leotard but as yet no rerelease. Queen Marlena has those awful iris-less eyes and non-puffy sleeves. Adora had the granny pants (IMO a very minor problem compared to others). And there was the first bland She-Ra figure. I am kind of shocked and grateful they put the effort into "fixing" She-Ra with the BP variant considering, even though I had to buy two figures to get the one I wanted. But still, this is such a pattern now I don't expect a change and even think Mattel is just waiting to see how long customers keep buying the flawed stuff rather than looking at how to fix the flaws and attract more customers (and by making a huge deal out of every flaw, I feel we even contribute to the exodus of customers, though not THAT much). All I can say is that she looks better than she looked in that first showing even if the translucent hair is too dark.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

Heroic Warrior
    Almost any figure from any toyline from any company has some sort of flaw that could be pointed out. To imply that it's only the female figures of one line from one toy company is totally unfair.

I could honestly look at any of the thousands of figures I own and point out some sort of "flaw".

This review madee more optimistic about Frosta to be honest. The face sculpt came out very nicely and the hair doesn't look as bad as I'd feared.

I've decided to buy two Frostas and paint over one of their hair. I've never customised a figure so I thought I'd give it a go. She'd look better with lighter hair, as in the series, but if I botch it I won't be majorly disappointed.

Hopefully she'll sell well and we'll see more POP soon after Netossa (who I'm also totally excited about!).

Like everyone else, I think this figure could have benefited from much lighter hair so it greater resembled the Filmation cartoon. I also think some more translucent plastic and possibly even the use of glitter in places, would have been nice, just to accentuate the crystalline, icy quality in keeping with the theme. But with these relatively minor gripes aside, I think she looks great overall. I especially like the face sculpt which really emphasises her prettiness. Looking forward to displaying her.

Thanks for the great review Dan.

I'm saddened by the reversed forearms, fingers crossed it's not a widespread issue. Dan's Frosta does have a nicer face so that it a plus, and I'm not really bothered by the white on the back of the bodice, of course it'd be nice if it was actually white.

The gray pegs in the thighs is also a big issue, one that makes no sense and was clearly an issue with Mattel design.

We've waited 4+ years for a member of the Great Rebellion and for her to be anything less than perfect is greatly disappointing.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    Actually, it doesn't look unpainted to me. It looks like it's supposed to be all white like that. Maybe I'm wrong, but it looks fine to me. *shrugs*

Thanks guys! Glad you're enjoying the video! I really do think the face looks great on mine! Just those cursed switched forearms! Argh!
    I think if it was meant to be like that there would not be such an unsightly seam on the sides of her from where it changes from blue to white. It's my only real complaint about her though

Golems for 2016! AdultCollector's Avatar
    1. Swap the forearms after applying heat with a hairdryer.
    2. Paint the leg pegs to match her dark blue leg pegs.
    3. Add a new coat of brighter white acrylic paint.
    4. Paint her hair a lighter blue.

Mattel's keeping us customizers busy!