Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Talkback Thread - The Art of He-Man Book [SPOILERS]

2002/DC He-Man Video guy

Official Talkback Thread - The Art of He-Man Book [SPOILERS]

Since the new book from Dark Horse, "The Art of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe" has been released on some comic book shops April 14th and
    fans have gotten their copies already. (Bookstores and others will get theirs on April 28th)

Here is the official discussion thread for the book and its contents.

Spoilers!

SO who is the green dude around the table with He-man, king Hiss etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Rodster6 View Post
    SO who is the green dude around the table with He-man, king Hiss etc?
    He is in the section of concept art for future projects:

"Battle Cat reimagined as a humanoid shape changer. In his base form, he's an ancient general from King Grayskull's era, now a mentor to a young Prince Adam. When it's time to fight Skeletor, the general dons his enchanted battle helm (which caps his staff) and transforms into the ferocious Battle Cat, Master of War!"

Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodster6 View Post
    Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear.
    Indeed. What an embarrassment.

Still excited for the book, although I suspect the last section is filled with clown vomit.
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

On a hill in the woods just around the corner
    I like the reimagined Battle Cat more than many of the others.
    ......... ........

MOST WANTED MOTUC figures:
    Ice Armor He-Man, Sagitar, Master Sebrian, Snake Mountain Man, Filmation Mer-Man, NA Prince Adam, Dylamug, Fang-Or, Major Header, Granita, Great Black Wizard, Quakke, Delora/Hawke, Dree-Elle/Montork, Tuvar, Badrah, Disco Skeletor, Songster, & Stridor

*My iTrader Feedback
    *My MOTU_Maniac Feedback Thread

There's some fun stuff at the end. I'm sorry, I just can't take artistic noodlings and ideas that seriously. There's no reason to get up in arms about it. That's what artists and creative people do when they brainstorm. They come up with lots of ideas. Some of which are brilliant. Some of which are daft. Some of which are brilliantly daft.

Worrying about it too much right now feels like crying over spilled milk that might spill tomorrow. Let's wait until it spills.

Anyway, I can't wait to actually dig into the book. Had no time other than a quick cursory glance. But I was REALLY happily surprised by the little animation cell. That was a cool extra.
    Upcoming MOTU-inspired Graphic Novel: www.eonquest.com

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by foots_mcgee View Post
    He is in the section of concept art for future projects:

"Battle Cat reimagined as a humanoid shape changer. In his base form, he's an ancient general from King Grayskull's era, now a mentor to a young Prince Adam. When it's time to fight Skeletor, the general dons his enchanted battle helm (which caps his staff) and transforms into the ferocious Battle Cat, Master of War!"
    Way to ruin Battle Cat, Mattel! This is one of the worst ideas that i heard for a MOTU character. I could say even more than the entire SOH brand. It's painful to see one of the most familiar, popular and iconic faces of the franchise being reduced to a poor concept like that. So now Battle Cat is a male Catra. And He-Man using as a mount, a transformed humanoid being, it just sounds awful. I hope that's only a fan concept and nothing more, and it will never used in any kind of future media or reboot. But this is a further evidence, that when it comes to bring new ideas for the brand, Mattel is just lacking of creativity. And Mattel, a Classic and iconic character like Battle Cat with a well developed and established story, doesn't need "new origins" like this one. What i don't get it's why a fan concept like that was used in a MOTU "family" portrait?
    Last edited by granamyr80; April 16, 2015 at 06:23pm.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    But I was REALLY happily surprised by the little animation cell. That was a cool extra.
    I agree! Loved it!
    ......... ........

Ice Armor He-Man, Sagitar, Master Sebrian, Snake Mountain Man, Filmation Mer-Man, NA Prince Adam, Dylamug, Fang-Or, Major Header, Granita, Great Black Wizard, Quakke, Delora/Hawke, Dree-Elle/Montork, Tuvar, Badrah, Disco Skeletor, Songster, & Stridor

*My iTrader Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    There's some fun stuff at the end. I'm sorry, I just can't take artistic noodlings and ideas that seriously. There's no reason to get up in arms about it. That's what artists and creative people do when they brainstorm. They come up with lots of ideas. Some of which are brilliant. Some of which are daft. Some of which are brilliantly daft.

Worrying about it too much right now feels like crying over spilled milk that might spill tomorrow. Let's wait until it spills.

Anyway, I can't wait to actually dig into the book. Had no time other than a quick cursory glance. But I was REALLY happily surprised by the little animation cell. That was a cool extra.
    I agree the good in the book greatly outweighs anything bad. I really enjoyed the memos, notes and concept art from the conception of the line. The animation cell was an awesome surprise as well. The other thing that immediately sticks out is the page from the movie script about Skeletor and the severed head. The giant NO! in the margin made me chuckle. I spent several hours going through there and it made me feel like I was five years old again.

That's what made the last section so jarring. It was like being violently shaken awake from the best dream ever. What is really disheartening is that I didn't see anything in the last section that I actually want to see used. Isn't that the whole point of a section like that? To excite people about what is on the horizon? I don't want to see Iron Man He-Man where you can't even see his face... are you kidding me? I don't want humanoid Battlecat. I don't want to see Orko's legs. And above all I don't want Keldor raising his havoc staff and chanting a few words to become Skeletor composed of havoc magic armored by indestructible battle armor. Some stuff could easily be the concept for a completely different franchise and probably should be if that is what they choose to use. That Trapjaw on the last page.... I still don't know what that is. My eyes can't make any sense of it.

Why can't the future contain updated versions of the classic characters, much like Classics did for the action figures, involved in a great story. We are starved of a great story. A great story is the missing component. What we've been getting recently is the equivalent of a full season or two of the Walking Dead shoved into a single episode.

EDIT: I think I'm going to go write a giant NO! in the margins of the last section.
    Last edited by foots_mcgee; April 16, 2015 at 09:40pm.

Any photographs of the book pages?

Dunno if that's allowed. I'm not talking about scans. Rather than actual mobile photos of the book pages

I'm fine with the exploration ideas at the end.

Everyone is certainly entitled to dislike what they want. But I guarantee if some of the ideas we grew up with had never happened, and were introduced for the first time here in that same section, we'd see the same type of negative reaction. Many fans of many different franchises are known to have immediate negative reactions to new ideas unless those ideas are painted with heavy overtones of nostalgia.

If executed correctly in film or animation, some of the new concepts presented here could prove to be really cool. Or maybe not. There's all sorts of possibilities.
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    Power-Con returns in 2016! Hope to see you there!

Quote Originally Posted by demiscy View Post
    Any photographs of the book pages?

Dunno if that's allowed. I'm not talking about scans. Rather than actual mobile photos of the book pages
    No, unless it is officially released promotional material, then you can.

Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    Way to ruin Battle Cat, Mattel! This is one of the worst ideas that i heard for a MOTU character. I could say even more than the entire SOH brand. It's painful to see one of the most familiar, popular and iconic faces of the franchise being reduced to a poor concept like that. So now Battle Cat is a male Catra. And He-Man using as a mount, a transformed humanoid being, it just sounds awful. I hope that's only a fan concept and nothing more, and it will never used in any kind of future media or reboot. But this is a further evidence, that when it comes to bring new ideas for the brand, Mattel is just lacking of creativity. And Mattel, a Classic and iconic character like Battle Cat with a well developed and established story, doesn't need "new origins" like this one. What i don't get it's why a fan concept like that was used in a MOTU "family" portrait?
    Could have been worse - they could have reimagined He-Man's loincloth as an anthropomorphic hero who transforms into shorts whenever He-Man needs his aid...
    By the ancients!!!

Short-Man !!!

Quote Originally Posted by foots_mcgee View Post

Face palm!!! Love the art, not so keen on the idea of a dude given another dude a piggyback ride into war.
    “You don't stop playing because you grow old you grow old because you stop playing.” George Benard Shaw.

Isn't the humanoid thing been done with bravestar? Or am I remembering incorrectly? But didn't his horse turn into a humanoid?
    Is not not licking toads

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbryan View Post
    Isn't the humanoid thing been done with bravestar? Or am I remembering incorrectly? But didn't his horse turn into a humanoid?
    Yep! Thirty/Thirty could transform into a humanoid form. It's in the intro of the show too. I think Thirty/Thirty was cool!

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Yep! Thirty/Thirty could transform into a humanoid form. It's in the intro of the show too. I think Thirty/Thirty was cool!
    See it could work!
    Is not not licking toads

I think Thirty/Thirty is cool, I think ridin on the homie's back is just Dirty/Thirty !
    “You don't stop playing because you grow old you grow old because you stop playing.” George Benard Shaw.

Quote Originally Posted by PIMPS ADAM View Post
    I think Thirty/Thirty is cool, I think ridin on the homie's back is just Dirty/Thirty !
    Can't disagree with that! Sagitar knows this all too well.

Can't disagree with that! Sagitar knows this all too well.

Thirty/Thirty and Sagitar were/are cool!! And I have said it already, but I think Battle Cat as a humanoid shape changer is a much cooler reimagining than some of the others. Trap Jaw for instance...well I couldn't even really tell what was going on with him.

And I am not sure what I think of Orko with mummy arms and legs or Iron Man He-Man. So, Battle Cat was definitely one of the cooler ideas IMO.
    ......... ........

*My iTrader Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by PIMPS ADAM View Post
    Face palm!!! Love the art, not so keen on the idea of a dude given another dude a piggyback ride into war.

That's a hilarious mental image
    By the ancients!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    Could have been worse - they could have reimagined He-Man's loincloth as an anthropomorphic hero who transforms into shorts whenever He-Man needs his aid...
    Lol, that's true, but better to not give Mattel ideas. But really having He-Man, transform his mentor to a steed, it's racist, inhuman and practically an evil and cruel act, that doesn't fit to a heroic character. Personally i' m open to new ideas, when those are better than the previous ones, but that's not the case here.