Thread: Your dream MOTU movie

Your dream MOTU movie

So I had this idea while chatting with MegaGearMax in the org chatroom and this is it.

Just pretend that some Hollywood execs have approached you to write a He-Man film and they want to hear your take on it, well that is what this thread is about.

This is mine

I would just like to say I am condensing this movie quite a lot so it may seem short but really I see it running about 3 – 3.5 hours so it's not.

As for tone, well it may seem like a dark movie when you read it but I think the closest movie I could think of that has the same tone I see for this movie is the John Carter film. Yes it has it's big dramatic and emotional moments but it is still bright and colorful.

Ok...

The movie opens with a narration telling of a powerful artifact named the “Ram Stone” which was capable of shattering any barrier. Deemed too powerful for any one to have it was broke into many parts and shared out amongst the leaders of the different races with a solemn promise that the parts would never be reunited again.

We then cut to He-Man and friends locked in battle with the evil forces of Skeletor outside of Castle Grayskull with He-Man and Skeletor locked in mortal combat. The battle comes to an abrupt end when an attack by Skeletor results in him falling into the chasm surrounding the castle to his supposed demise. The other villains seeing the leader fall immediately turn tail and flee. The heroes themselves return (with great fan fare) to a massive party to celebrate the final defeat of Skeletor except for He-Man who, unable to deal with the fact that he had “killed” someone, had stayed to return the Sword of Power to the Sorceress.

Randor and the Council (made of the current leaders of the different races of Eternia) send a group warriors led by Man-At-Arms to Snake Mountain to finally capture the fleeing villains. But upon arrival they find it empty.

Weeks of searching continues but there are no signs of the Skeletor's evil warriors. They have simply vanished.

With Skeletor now dead and his warriors now long gone goodness has finally prevailed and peace has finally come to Eternia.

We fast forward four years.

Apart from a few mild skirmishes that are easily quashed by the Royal Guards and everyone wondering what happened to He-Man who has neve been seen since that fateful day, Eternia is still basically at peace and everyone is living a happy and fulfilling life. The various masters have moved on with their lives, either getting new jobs or returning to their old ones before they were called to help fight Skeletor and everyone is just very happy.

All except Adam. Something tells him that this is merely the calm before the storm, something big is brewing and that this era of peace is making everyone too soft and unprepared.

Then on the anniversary of Skeletor's defeat it is decided to hold a grand ball at the palace and everyone is invited to attend.

The party is in full swing, all the heroes are there from Teela and Man-At-Arms to Man-E-Faces, Sy-Klone, Mekaneck, Roboto etc etc and everyone is having a good time and remembering the old days and thanking the long missing He-Man for this time of peace.

Adam is then contacted by the Sorceress, she tells him that some unknown force has broke through the protective barrier of Zalesia where part of the fabled “Ram Stone” resides. She asks Adam and Man-At-Arms to head over there and investigate. When she sees them leaving the party Teela naturally decides to accompany them despite their assurances that she would not be needed. Cringer is also dragged along even though it is clear that he would much rather sleep beneath one of the many banquet tables then head off an another adventure after all this time.

Taking one of the Wind Raiders they soon reach the old city. They find it deserted, the magical barrier has indeed been breached and the Ram Stone piece is gone

It is then that the attacks start to occur.

Back at the party Man-E-Faces and Orko are just Reports come in from the various races, (the Caligars, Speleans, Avions, Andreenids etc), that they have just come under a surprise attack by Skeletor's evil warriors. Panic spreads as armies led by evil warriors such as Beast Man, Mer-Man, Trap-Jaw, Triklops, Jitsu, Ninjor spread out across Eternia from the Mystic Mountains to the Evergreen Forest across the burning Sands of Time and over the vast oceans of the planet.

Meanwhile Kobra Kahn, Clawful, Whiplash, Spikor, Webstor and Two-Bad venture deep into the deepest pits of Subternia, home of the Caligars and Speleans.

Naturally the different heroes start rushing off to defend their homes while the others either go to help those most in need, everyone but Fisto, Roboto, Mekaneck and Clamp Champ who stay behind to help guard the palace. All the while wondering how they managed to get caught off guard so badly.

It is lucky that they do as it is now that we witness the largest army of all, easily twice the size of all the others combined, marching upon the Eternos Palace. (think of the battle of Minas Tirith in LOTR and you get the idea of the numbers).

A seemingly endless amount of warriors attack on foot as countless more ride atop a host of Night Stalkers. These are met on the battlefield by the Palace Guards some of whom ride out to war on their trusty Stridors.

Sky Sleds, Wind Raiders, Dragons and Gryphons fight for dominion of the sky.

Battle Rams and Attak Traks face off against Rotons and Spydors

While Giants, good and bad, make the very earth tremble as they face off in this battle royale.

The palace is overrun and there is just panic everywhere.

Meanwhile over at the kingdoms of the other races the heroic warriors manage to beat back the enemy but always too late to stop the villains getting a hold of yet another part of the Ram Stone who had used magical runes to teleport them to an unknown destination..

By now Adam, Teela and Man-At-Arms have heard of the attacks and are speeding their way back to the Palace.

Adam grabs a sword and valiantly tries to fight his way to his parents, but the enemy numbers are too great and the furthest Adam can get to is the Ball Room where the guests who were not combatants cower in fear. Orko is also there trying his best to keep everyones spirits up by doing magic tricks, but it is painfully obvious that the little Trollan is just as afraid of everyone else.

Pleased to see Adam Orko gives the prince a big hug before pulling him away into a side room where he asks him if it wouldn't be a good idea if He-Man was to finally return.

Adam agrees but points out that he left the sword with the Sorceress at Castle Grayskull and that it would take a miracle to even get out of the palace alive let alone make it all the way over there.

All seems lost until Orko takes off his hat, his face revealed for the briefest of moments, and pulls the Sword of Power out of it. A flashback to when Adam gave the sword back to the Sorceress after he believed his actions had resulted in the death of Skeletor shows that she had secretly asked Orko to keep hold of it as she knew that the day would come when he would need it.

Pleased to be reunited with his sword again, Adam, for the first time in four years, calls upon the power of Grayskull and once more Adam becomes He-Man just as Cringer becomes the mighty Battle-Cat.

With He-Man and Battle-Cat leading the charge the remaining heroes and the royal guards are able to fight back and drive the evil army away.

It is in this time of panic that Skeletor makes his appearance. Of course the Skull-faced Sorcerer is not dead and has spent the last four years amassing the biggest evil army that Eternia has faced in a very very long time. But still his interest lies with Castle Grayskull, all the other attacks have just been a massive diversion.

Accompanied by Evil-Lyn, Panthor and Count Marzo, the overlord of destruction heads for Grayskull to finally claim victory, the reassembled Ram Stone in his grasp.

Of course the sorceress manages to put up a magical barrier to keep the 3 evil magic users out. However the Sorceress knows that even with the magic of the castle powering the barrier it will only be a matter of time before the Ram Stone breaks it down. She puts out a psychic call to He-Man to come to her aid.

Jumping astride his faithful Battle-Cat, He-Man rushes off to help the Sorceress. He is followed by Man-At-Arms and Teela in the attack-track and we finally get to the final battle outside of the Castle.

The fight is long and arduous, Teela and Man-At-Arms fight side by side against the combined force of Evil-Lyn and Marzo. Fur flies and claws scratch as Battle-Cat and Panthor attack each other with all they have and amidst all of this He-Man and Skeletor face off for the first time in four years.

Eventually the heroic warriors triumph, the Ram Stone is destroyes and Skeletor is finally defeated.

Teela asks He-Man if he is ever going to vanish again and he assures her that he will always be there to help when the need arises

Once again peace returns to Eternia.

(now this part I would probably do mid credits)

Meanwhile Kobra Kahn, who had been part of the attack on Subternia (the home of the Caligars and Speleans) and had simply vanished finds himself in a large underground room filled with various statues and tapestries with a very very distinct Snake motif.

On each side of the room, nestled up against the walls are sarcophagi and there is yet another right at the end all by itself. It looks very old and is covered in dust and cobwebs and grime.

Kahn opens it and inside is a human looking man. Apart from a layer of dust and a few webs he basically looks like he has only just climbed in it, he looks as fresh as a daisy. It is then that his eyes open and they are the unmistakable eyes of a serpent.

The screen goes black as we hear the ominous sound of a rattle...

END FILM

Well that is what my MOTU movie would be, so lets see yours.
    Last edited by wolfsfang; June 1, 2014 at 04:03pm.
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Heroic Warrior
    For me the first movie must been about:

King Grayskull and the Origins of the Sword of Power

The Prophecy

The tail of the Sons of Miro/Origin of Skeletor/Great Unrest

How Adam (or Oo-Lar if they go with the first mini comics)he became first He-Man

First Siege of Castle Grayskull and first battle between the the Heroic and Evil Warriors

End of the movie

Important notice: Both He-Man and Skeletor must be presented with their BARBARIAN outfits.

Skeletor's movie look:
    http://helgecbalzer.deviantart.com/a...etor-407955750

He-Man's movie look:
    http://www.deviantart.com/art/He-Man-456409359
    Last edited by granamyr80; May 31, 2014 at 09:03pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Hey, that's great Wolfsfang! I'd sure like to see that movie get made!

I always liked the first episodes of the 200X show. I thought they could be translated into a live action movie without much problem honestly and if you expanded the episodes to include some more set pieces and some more dialogue and action you have a good core idea there.

I would avoid a lot of the Filmation stuff myself...
    The Lurkiest

**Scott please make me a Staghorn**

I could get behind those three movies easy. Wolfgang I have a hard time believing your plot would take 3hrs to translate to screen BUT I'm sure you have it more mapped out in your head than I would. The MYP idea would be great if they tweaked it a little. Granamyr I like a lot of your ideas as well.

My movie opens up in space with a narrative about how Eternia is the magic center of the Universe ( pan to the planet and descend on it) and how through the ages there has always been a struggle between good and evil to become "MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE"

Crazy Filmation type scenery passes by flying over an ocean and landing on a young Prince Randor sparing with older half brother Keldor. Typical trash talk between them ending with how Keldor will make an excellent king. Guards come to tell the two that King Miro Must have word with them. Throw something in where Gars are all evil (something along those lines - Maybe a gar assinates King Miros wife , Miro tells Keldor that Randor will assume the throne apon his death,Further more he will be banished from the kingdom( something bad has to happen here really). Keldor vows revenge...(big speech while we throw in a montage of Keldors training in the evil arts)
    Fast forward to the beginning of MYP Keldor burns his face.
    Another montage of randor becoming king- Keldor becoming Skeletor the birth of the twins then...
    I like the idea of a fast forward where Skeletor has won Eternia is reformed in his image
    (like the new comics did)

Oo-lar bids farwell to his tribe journey off on his own with his pet green tiger(mini comics anyone) secretly the goddess is the sorceress who is still looking for Adam Who Happens to be Oo-lar --Duh!! who leads him to the power suit and armor ( hey I like the comics sue me) She tells him to go to Castle Grayskull where his true destiny will be revealed.

we meet Man at arms and Orko along the way they fight a few bad guys getting there. they win- he figures out to say" by the power of grayskull" unlocking everyone's memory whos there ( man at arms and Orko know his secret) - one of my only nods to Filmation

So on and so forth big scale fights, Skeletor finds out about Grayskull , rescue a couple of hero's Teela and ram man maybe.

movie ends with massive fight scene with all the stops pulled out stridors wind raiders battle rams vs night stalkers rotons (that fly) spydors and landsharks that can swim through the ground ( the scene where the land shark eats a stridor will be sweet!) tons of robot droids and magical skeletor knights or maybe snake men where Skeletor find them thanks to Kobra Khan)

Long story short movie ends with Skeletor defeated, possibly dead- King hiss looks to be on the way back to set up sequels.

If you read through that thanks! what you think? I think its funny how were kinda all on the same page here with slight differences...
    SMANOMEGA'S "NEWER" CUSTOM GALLERY BELOW
    http://s16.photobucket.com/user/sman...?sort=3&page=1

I like wolf's take. I would watch and enjoy that movie.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Here is my pitch...

2000 years after the Great Wars, Eternia is a barbaric and magical fantasy world. The evil mage turned lich Skeletor wants the secrets of the universe which is located inside the indestructible Castle Grayskull. A brave young barbarian named He-Man hears of Skeletor's evil and leaves his Vine Jungle tribe with his giant green tiger to stop him. He-Man encounters a green skinned woman in cobra armor who is attacked by Beast Man and the purple jungle monster from the mini-comics. He-Man and Battle Cat try to help, but Beast Man and his monster are too much for them. Admiring their heroism, the green skinned woman helps out He-Man and Battle Cat by empowering them, which gives them their trademark outfits. After defeating Beast Man and killing the monster, the green skinned woman reveals herself as The Goddess and tells them that Skeletor needs to find the two halves of the Power Sword to gain entry into the Castle. That there is still time to stop him! Meanwhile at Snake Mountain, Skeletor punishes Beast Man for failing.

The first gray half is on the highest peak on Eternia. Since Battle Cat can't make the journey, He-Man needs to seek out the inventor Man-At-Arms and use one of his unearthed Great Wars flying vehicles to reach the top. He-Man journeys to civilization--the Royal Palace of Eternia on Battle Cat, where Man-At-Arms is located. He is stopped at the gate by the guards who will not admit a barbarian on a ferocious beast, until Teela comes out (in her battleground casual look) and lets him in when he mentions stopping Skeletor. Although Teela, is skeptical about the barbarian, she develops an immediate attraction to him, while He-Man is immediately smitten by the attractive blonde. Teela leads He-Man to Man-At-Arms, where it is revealed that Man-At-Arms is Teela's adopted daughter. The two agree to let He-Man use his experimental Wind Raider to reach the top of the mountain with the caveat that they come with him. MAA can pilot the machine and fix it with need-be, while Teela provides an extra sword arm.

He-Man on Battle Cat, accompanied by Man-At-Arms and Teela (now in her traditional leotard) in the Wind Raider travel to the Mystic Mountains and reach Avion, the mountain home of Stratos and his people. He-Man sadly leaves Battle Cat at the base of the mountains and reassures the cat that they will be reunited soon. In Avion, Stratos doesn't trust the humans, but then Skeletor attacks Avion atop a flying monster in search of the Power Sword. While Man-At-Arms engages the flying monster from the Wind Raider, He-Man saves Delora from being crushed by falling debris with his great strength.Teela confronts Skeletor before he reaches the Power Sword, but she is easily defeated by him. Skeletor locates the Power Sword, but can't remove the sword out of the stone. Enraged by Teela possibly being killed, He-Man battles the Lord of Destruction in personal combat. Skeletor destroys He-Man's axe, but He-Man pulls out the Power Sword with his superior strength as he needs a new weapon. Skeletor escapes and swears vengeance against He-Man, who is now armed with the Power Sword. Stratos is won over by the heroism of the strangers who saved Avion and his wife and vows to help them stop Skeletor. The Goddess appears to the assembled heroes and there is a slight hesitation as the Goddess sees Teela injured. She uses her powers to heal Teela. Man-At-Arms gives the Goddess a look as she tells Teela to be careful and hugs her. Away from view the audience sees a small tear form on the Goddess' eye.

The Goddess tells the assembled heroes that the second Power Sword location is deep below the Sea of Rakash. Man-At-Arms says that he has no Great Wars vehicle that is sea worthy and Stratos laments that his aerial agility would be useless underwater, so the Goddess enchants the heroes so that they could breathe underwater and specifically enchants Stratos so that he is as useful underwater as he would be in the air. The heroes swim until they come upon an ancient ruin with the Power Sword in a tomb. Mer-Man arrives with a sea monster -- the octopus monster from the Alcala mini-comics. Stratos takes on Mer-Man personally, but the sea king defeats him using his sword that shoots icy cold. He-Man, Teela and Man-At-Arms fight the sea monster and He-Man slays it with the Power Sword, then takes on Mer-Man, matching the might of his Power Sword against Mer-Man’s corn sword. Mer-Man’s weapon is destroyed in an explosion, encasing Mer-Man in ice. Using Mer-Man as a distraction, Skeletor secretly arrives and takes the Power Sword, warping the color to purple to match the balde’s new owner. With Mer-Man defeated, the heroes start to turn their attention to the Power Sword, but Skeletor blasts He-Man from behind using his half of the mystical blade. The villain takes He-Man’s half and teleports away with Mer-Man. The heroes surface and guess that Skeletor is now headed to Grayskull with the Power Sword halves to unlock the castle. The heroes race off to Grayskull!

Outside of Grayskull, Skeletor, Beast Man and Mer-Man assemble. Skeletor joins both halves of the Power Sword. A brilliant display of energy comes from the Sword. Skeletor thrusts the blade into the Castle and the Jawbridge opens. The Goddess is in the entrance way and warns Skeletor not to tamper with forces that he cannot comprehend. Skeletor strikes down the Goddess and enters the castle with his Evil Warriors.

He-Man and Teela, who is now riding on Battle Cat, Man-At-Arms on the Wind Raider and Stratos arrive at Grayskull. Beast Man shoots down the Wind Raider using Grayskull’s laser canon. Stratos grabs Beast Man and knocks him off the Castle to the ground. Mer-Man and Stratos resume their rivalry, while MAA and Battle Cat takes on Beast Man.

He-Man and Teela enter Grayskull and find the Goddess. She tells them that although Skeletor is very powerful with the Sword halves, he isn’t omnipotent-- that the heroes may triumph if they can somehow get the sword from Skeletor and separate the halves. Skeletor is marveling at the various Grayskull artifacts, such as a rich tapestry of two warring armies, the computer room and the laboratory. When he reaches the throne room, he notices that there is an ornament for THREE Swords of Power, including a gold Power Sword with a beautiful gem. He-Man and Teela navigate the various dangers of the castles (crushing walls, illusions, dungeon monsters) together until they reach Skeletor sitting in the throne room. He-Man demands that Skeletor surrenders. Skeletor laughs and activates the hidden trap door from the throne. Teela falls in. He-Man tries to fight Skeletor, but He-Man is finding himself outmatched by the raw power of the Sword. Teela escapes the trapdoor and catches Skeletor by surprise. While Skeletor is animating suits of armor on Teela, He-Man endures the power of the blade and pulls the sword from his grasp with his superior strength. He-Man then separates the halves once more, while Teela roundhouse kicks Skeletor to the ground! The Goddess appears and teleports the sword halves away. Now on equal footing, He-Man and Skeletor do battle! The fight winds up on the roof of the castle. He-Man and Skeletor both go over the edge and hit the ground outside of Grayskull. As He-Man, Teela and Man-At-Arms look on in amusement, Stratos and Battle Cat drive off the villains who flee on foot.

As a proud Goddess looks on, The Spirit of Castle Grayskull rises from out of the Castle and thanks the heroes, telling them that for stopping Skeletor from discovering the secrets of the universe, that they are truly Masters of the Universe. He-Man and Teela cheerfully ride off on Battle Cat, while MAA in a repaired Wind Raider and Stratos fly above them. Later at the Royal Palace of Eternia, King Randor and Queen Marlena recognize the valor of He-Man, Battle Cat, Teela, Man-At-Arms and Stratos in an official ceremony -- officially proclaiming Eternia’s newest champions as The Heroic Warriors.

The End.

After the credits, Skeletor enters a dark and dreary swamp. He greets someone offscreen and while the camera slowly turns to reveal who he is talking to, he says that since the Goddess has both halves of the Power Sword, he has need of a new magical artifact to enter Grayskull. Evil-Lyn is revealed in the same pose as her vintage boxart and she says she knows exactly what he can use...

I purposefully chose a really small cast. Other characters will show up in sequels. The stuff in italics are Easter Eggs for longtime fans.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; June 2, 2014 at 05:55pm.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    Interesting to see how people's ideas are colored by the version of MOTU they like best. Not surprising, either.

I still like Wolfsfang's take on it. I reckon it would work real well as a movie.

Widget
    As imaginary Hollywood executive, I'm giving MegaGearMax's pitch the green light.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelgaard View Post
    As imaginary Hollywood executive, I'm giving MegaGearMax's pitch the green light.
    I second that. MegaGearMax should write the new movie! Wadlow, hire him!
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Heroic Warrior
    My vote goes to Wolfsfang. I thought his outline was really impressive and would make for an excellent screenplay, with enough spread of material on offer to draw in the widest possible audience.

I think that MegaGearMax's submission, though exciting and with a lot to recommend it, is rather too predicated on existing long term MOTU fans - many of whom grew up on Filmation/MYP anyway and were never much taken by the whole Oo-Lar/barbarian He-Man pitch.

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Some say they would not like a Masters of the Universe film based on the FILMation animated series, but how jazzed would you be if He-Man walked toward the camera and punched the screen? I think a PG13 adaptation of the FILMation animated series would be cool; something with a darker tone but with the same spirit. I would like to see a FILMation power-level He-Man who is stronger than every other comic book film superhero; a He-Man who is truly the Most Powerful Man in the Universe.

Heroic Warrior
    Overpowered characters have the tendency to be boring. This is the reason for why Batman will always be more interesting than Superman. Also overpowered characters are making the presence of the other persons around them pointless and irrelevant.
    Personally i would prefer to see a power level for He-Man similar to the 87's movie. Strong but without arriving to the exaggerated Filmation's levels. Besides He-Man is not only raw strength. He is also Duncan's apprentice, one of the most brilliant minds in MOTU Universe, and at both Filmation and MYP cartoon we saw that Adam was able to repair Sky Sleds nad Wind Raiders. Another example was during the recent DC ongoing when he, Teela and Adora were surrounded by an army of Horde Troopers. Now if it was Filmation He-Man he would simply punch them to dust. But instead DC He-Man had prepared a plan for escape. It's a more interesting side of He-Man to see.
    For this reason i prefer to watch in a movie, a less powerful but a more resourceful warrior He-Man.

Heroic Warrior
    Agree.
    He-Man's more interesting as a character if he's got some flaws, some weaknesses, needs a hand sometimes. Even some doubts and uncertainties like people holding power have.
    If he's super-powerful and can just smash everything in his way then he's got no depth to him. It's dull as a storyline.

And I liked the '87 movie quite a bit.

Widget
    I'm eager to give my own pitch. I just need time to sit down and type it all out.

But I'm really surprised there aren't more submissions than this. Surely there are hundreds of fans who've been harboring their dream film for years. I'm new here, is there already another thread on this topic?

Quote Originally Posted by Kelgaard View Post
    I'm eager to give my own pitch. I just need time to sit down and type it all out.

But I'm really surprised there aren't more submissions than this. Surely there are hundreds of fans who've been harboring their dream film for years. I'm new here, is there already another thread on this topic?
    I'm guessing people have written things in the fan-fiction section of the forums throughout the years.

I'm sure there are tons of people that have their own idea for a movie but to sit down and type it all out may not be everybodys cup of tea I mean I gave everybody mine BUT it really is a watered down version As I'm sure not everybody is going to want to read the whole thing. Not to mention that I would want to do it either unless their was a paycheck involved. Heck I probably lost half of you by this line...
    SMANOMEGA'S "NEWER" CUSTOM GALLERY BELOW
    http://s16.photobucket.com/user/sman...?sort=3&page=1

Heroic Warrior
    I really like Wolfsfang's directorial pitch. It's the kind of film which would draw a good wide audience - and that's what counts.

Sometimes I think the best movie that could realistically be made would just be a really good special edition of The Masters of The Universe 1987 film. If you look back at the history of filmography the use of special editions and directors cuts were key to building hype for the eventual rebooting of several famous franchises.

The main example would be that before any of the new star wars films were made George Lucas wanted to test the waters by making special editions of his original trilogy. The special editions not only added deleted scenes but also redid all the special effects with updated CGI. They were treated almost like a brand new movie but reused all the old acting footage. Say what you will about the Star Wars Special editions they were a major financial success. Star Wars The New Hope special edition alone made over $100 million and was a huge return on investment. For a relatively small budget Lucas was able to revive a languishing and nearly dead franchise. Before the special editions the only thing keeping interest in star wars alive was some low budget TV ewoks movies, a Star Wars Christmas special, and the blind hope that the stalled out prequels would eventually get made. It was sad times much like what is going on with Masters of the Universe which is why these lessons are pertinent to us.

Doing a good special edition is really the key to rebooting He-Man here. Even the old animated Transforms movie from 1986 was remastered and re-released on DvD and Blu-ray before the live action movies got made into films.

The pitch is that Maters of the Universe would benefit enormously from modern 21st century CGI and editing. If you understand the conditions the original film was made under it easy to see why. The film was under constant threat of being shut down by the producers and corners were cut everywhere due to budget constraints. Cannon studios was going out of business just as this film was finishing. In fact they didn't even let them finish making the film. The studio turned off the lights and threw them out of the building right while they were filming the climactic battle scene. That is why the "final battle" between He-man and Skeletor was less than 30s long and done in a dark room. The studio didn't even let them film the real planned battle sequence. The battle consisted of a sword hitting and breaking Skeletor's staff. He-man and Skeletor where not even on camera at that point. It was the best they could do with the studio bankrupt they bearly got the film out the door.

That fight scene could be redone in the special edition with stunt doubles and realistic CGI. We have the technology to make a real fight scene without the original actors that looks so good nobody would ever know the difference. So much could be done with CGI these days that the fight could be stepped up to epic proportions if they wanted. For instance He-man could kick Skeletor through a wall and then they fight outside where you can see all of Eternia it's CGI glory. It might be overkill but that is what sells movies these days, out of this world mind blowing special effects. Really would just like to see a well choreographed sword fight that was originally planned. It would be somewhere in a cross between Lord of the Rings realism and a light saber battle from the newer Star Wars. This way the ending with Skeletor falling down the pit can be preserved.

There are some things the original film did right though. There will never be a better performance as Skeletor than Frank Langella. He is Skeletor period. Can't improve on perfection. It is the rest of the movie that needs to be brought up to his level. Dolph Lundgren certainly looked the part of He-Man. Lundgren's "I HAVE THE POWER" yell was better than the Filmation original. He just needed better editing to make him look more heroic. When he swings his sword through the air just CGI a robot in there that he cut in half and exploded. CGI a bunch of other stuff to draw out the battle scenes more on Eternia such as the fight sequence near Gwildor's hideout.

The whole movie needs better editing so it focuses more in Eternia and less on the Earth scenes. For instance the opening scene showing Castle Greyskul is just painting. This could be replaced with a 3D model showing more of Eternia and Castle Greyskull under siege by Skeletor. This scene can blend seamlessly into the existing scene where the Sorceress is watching Skeletor enter the castle. The entering of the castle could be made into a much longer visual effect. The special edition scene would show Skeletor is the commander of a vast army that is tens of thousands of soldiers. This would all be CGI. There was supposed to be global war for Eternia. That should all be shown in an epic prologue. The first 4 or 5 minutes of the movie show Skeletor's army conquering Eternia and taking over Castle Greyskul.

FUN FACT: the painting of Castle Greyskul in the movie was done by the same artist who designed Skeksis Castle in the Dark Crystal.

In one of the better scenes in the original movie Skeletor becomes a 1000ft tall hologram to announce his victory to the people of Eternia. The line "The war is over, submit or be eliminated" was well done by both Frank Langella and the visual concept of a 1000ft hologram. It was a good effect for the time but so much more can be done with this now. Instead of Skeletor just speaking to open desert and rocks. He can be addressing CGI cities and crowds being put under the boot of his soldiers. Really show the effects of Skeletor's tyranny and the desperateness of the situation.

There is kind of a plot hole in the original movie in why did He-man run away from Skeletor by going to Earth. He-Man should have just defeated Skeletor right there. The special edition would close the plot hole by showing that fighting Skeletor was pointless because Skeletor had already won by conquering the entire planet. He-man was out numbered by the thousands. Only escape was to go to Earth. In the end Skeletor defeats himself. He had already won and became ruler of Eternia but that wasn't good enough. He wanted to become a god too and and thus was defeated while being drunk on the naked arrogance of pure power. Simple filmation style moral of the story: "Too much power will be your undoing Skeletor." He-man won't actually say that but it will be implied through the whole film especially in the ending fight scene.

In the end scenes after Skeletor is defeated there will be more CGI wide shots of Eternian cities being liberated. Plenty of chance for Easter eggs here showing some of the missing characters such as Stratos, Orko, Cringer/Battle cat, King Randor, Ram Man etc. The movie won't really be about them but it will show them real quick just long enough for fans to notice. The final ending of Skeletor surviving the fall down the pit would be moved to before the credits. Skeletor's line would be changed from the over used 80s cliche "I'll be back" to a more Masters of Universe appropriate "You'll pay for this He-Man."

So that is my idea for special edition Masters of the Universe come back movie. Even if they only did half of what I mentioned here it would still be enough to make the movie overcome its' original flaws. It would be a way to rejuvenate the series without having to do a full new triple A movie from scratch and for only a fraction of the cost. Don't have to worry about casting, or building stage sets because everything new is CGI. The special edition would only be about 20 minutes longer than the original but all the new stuff would be in Enteria which would make it feel like a real He-Man movie.

Widget
    Paint over Karg, Blade, Saurod with Trap Jaw, Tri Klops, and Mer Man, and you definitely have my interest.

Sadly though, Warner Bros refused to even invest in a special edition blu ray so this will never happen.