Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: He-man & The Masters of the Universe #2 Talkback - DC Comics - *SPOILERS*

He-man & The Masters of the Universe #2 Talkback - DC Comics - *SPOILERS*

Just got the issue myself. Spoiler tags do not need to be used in this thread so read at your own risk.

Blonde Teela

I found it interesting that, when reading Skeletor, it was 200x Skeletor's voice in my head, not the Filmation Skeletor - yet Trapjaw was Filmation Trapjaw.

I love the gothic redesign of the Castle. That was awesome looking.

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    These redesigns continue to be the drizzling *****...I am enjoying, to an extent, the story. But the art is inconsistent...nice at times, like it was drawn by a drunk at others.

Just seems like actual professionals could do better.
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post
    Rob Leifeld is a professional artist. Keep that in mind

I enjoyed the issue. I didn't care for Trap Jaw's character design. I'm not quite sure what they were going for with that. I thought the issue was much better than the first one. I'm interested in seeing where this storyline goes.

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    IS that Castle Grayskull?

Looks NOTHING like the Grayskull in the Man-at-Arms issue...terrible art, terrible redesigns and IF this IS Grayskyll, well, they can't even manage any continuity.
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Do they finally show us everyone's character designs?
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Like all of the mini's and issue one, I wasn't a fan of this issue. Weak art and very little backgrounds, boring and stale story and while relatively minor, I hated blonde Teela. With the poor art, there were a few panels where it was hard to tell Adam and Teela apart since both have schetchy long blonde hair and minimal facial details. At least red hair on Teela would have signaled she was actually Teela.

I keep buying but this whole roll out of comics have been awful in my book.

My only issue us that the character models seem to vary in quality quite a bit. But I did like the story and details in the world a lot.

Wow, that was pretty bad, and I am not that hard to please. I pretty much gave the first issue a pass, telling myself it was just a 'set up' issue, but that was as much leeway as I could spare. Skeletor looked fat and I was mostly just bored, and I'm grateful that the 3rd issue has such an amazing cover cuz I'm afraid that's the only reason people (non-hardcore fans, anyway) will buy it.

I miss the MVC book--it was everything that this is not.

The digital mini-comics are also SO freaking much better than this 'actual' series.

IS that Castle Grayskull?.
    I'm hoping that that's "Skeletor's Castle Grayskull", and that once Adam reclaims The Power that it undergoes a maaaaaaajor change....but if not, then...bleeeeeeeeh.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

I'm with you Mern-Ra. I miss the MVC book too... it was new but it HUGELY respected all the past sources of material... this new book respects very little of the past...

Quote Originally Posted by Tzadkiel View Post
    I found it interesting that, when reading Skeletor, it was 200x Skeletor's voice in my head, not the Filmation Skeletor.
    Felt the same way.

I wondered for a minute if the servant lady in Grayskull was the Sorceress... but then Zoar was with Adam, so I guess it wasn't... and why did Teela "know" that Zoar wasn't a bird?

Weird.

There just seems to be so little regard for the past... and that matters to the fans. I'm all for a new story... and I like the idea of the story here (which is what I'm HOPING is responsible for the different designs of the castle, etc.), but things like Blonde Teela as a younger Teela and Trap-Jaw claiming He-Man ripped off his jaw, and Trap-Jaw having arms but using a symbiotic creature to create the arm-weapons, are just weird...

Adora is blonde... Teela is a red-head. I'm sorry - that's just how it is and how I like it. I've come to accept that older Sorceress Teela became blonde... that's fine... but this is weird.

And Teela says a line in this comic that She-Ra says in SOTS about having a "LOT to talk about." LOL...

Why exactly is Teela alive?? Trap-Jaw KNOWS who Teela is... So does Skeletor... I mean, come on. Why is Skeletor willing to slit Adam's throat but he has kept everyone else alive?

I did like how the castle had the Filmation-like arches leading up to the castle.. except they were stone... and perhaps look different because of the spell?

I also love that Kronis is a war-lord with his own people who seem to be nomads... that is really cool.

A
    Last edited by bcrduke; September 13, 2012 at 12:11pm.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    • I kinda like Adam and Teela's bickering. It seems pretty familiar.
    • Do the villains know that Adam is He-Man? Adam isn't supposed to be a great fighter.
    • Beast Man got his ass kicked by Adam, but Trap Jaw almost killed him.
    • Skeletor had a point...Trap jaw played this out like a James Bond villain and gave Adam time to escape instead of simply killing him.
    • I have a feeling that each of the six main Evil Warriors might try each issue to kill Adam until he reaches Skeletor. So we're off to Stage 3 now...going from the cover, it's a water stage!
    • Awww....only four and a quarter pages of Blonde Teela action. Bummer. Oh, well...I have the rest of the series.

I like the idea that Skeletor divided up Eternia for his Evil Warriors, with him ruling at Castle Grayskull.

I wasn't thinking SOTS at all. When Teela starts going off on Adam, it sounded very Filmation-like, instead of 200X Teela's "You suck, noob!".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
    Like all of the mini's and issue one, I wasn't a fan of this issue. Weak art and very little backgrounds, boring and stale story and while relatively minor, I hated blonde Teela. With the poor art, there were a few panels where it was hard to tell Adam and Teela apart since both have schetchy long blonde hair and minimal facial details. At least red hair on Teela would have signaled she was actually Teela.

Pre-Filmation DC and the mini-comics did a better job of showing two blond characters in the same scenes. And that was 30 years ago.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    I've never heard Filmatoin Skeletor's voice in my head. Whenever I read something with Skeletor talking, it was always Frank Langella's version until the 2002 toon came out, and now it is always that version.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Chicago, Illinois (but my heart will always be in the UK)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I wasn't thinking SOTS at all. When Teela starts going off on Adam, it sounded very Filmation-like, instead of 200X Teela's "You suck, noob!".
    You may not have thought of SOTS initially, but surely you can at least understand why some of us who prefer our Teelas redheaded and our She-Ras blonde would be irritated, right? As BCR mentioned above and I mentioned in the other post, as She-Ra and He-Man are flying away from the Fright Zone (following her saving him), she explains to a newly rescued Adam/He-Man that they "have a lot to talk about." In the comic, Teela says they have "a lot to talk about" right after rescuing Adam, and even places the emphasis in the same place. Besides that, she has a similar sword to the Sword of Protection (though only really glimpsed in that one promo image to date), blonde hair, blue eyes, and is wearing a hooded outfit (at the moment) similar to the one Adora wears when on her quest to learn the truth about the Horde's evil ways.

All that being said, I will concede that (in my opinion) this issue was far better than the first, and nigh-infinitely better than the piece of garbage that they passed off as the Evil-Lyn one-shot. The overall artwork is still a travesty, though, and--despite their intentions--Skeletor strikes me as anything but menacing at the moment. I might hear the 200X Skeletor's voice in my head, but his portrayal is weak and aloof (maybe he's bored with ruling the world, like Dr Doom was in that one series where he actually took over).
    MORE POP AND NEW ADVENTURES REPRESENTATION IN MOTUC PLEASE!

Dark Legacies
    MVC Comics - Collected Info About the Comics

Zoar28, Facebook

I'm not going to lie, I've started to dislike the MVC series more. It doesn't SUCK, and I like the easter eggs, but I felt it was too 'clean' in many places. Eternia felt very modern in it, I didn't like that, and the stories were just ok. the stand outs being the Trap Jaw icons of evil and the halloween special. those remain near perfect in my eyes, but the series itself, generally feels like it was taking from other too famous stories. at the time I liked them, but now not as much as before. esp in the later issues where you could feel mattel restricting the story.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    I'm not going to lie, I've started to dislike the MVC series more. It doesn't SUCK, and I like the easter eggs, but I felt it was too 'clean' in many places. Eternia felt very modern in it, I didn't like that, and the stories were just ok. the stand outs being the Trap Jaw icons of evil and the halloween special. those remain near perfect in my eyes, but the series itself, generally feels like it was taking from other too famous stories. at the time I liked them, but now not as much as before. esp in the later issues where you could feel mattel restricting the story.
    That is the difference between having to fit into an existing continuity and being able to do whatever you want. MVC didn't have the luxury that DC is getting. So it really is an unfair comparison.
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Lookie View Post
    That is the difference between having to fit into an existing continuity and being able to do whatever you want. MVC didn't have the luxury that DC is getting. So it really is an unfair comparison.
    yeah, i'm not comparing the two, it's just standing out more these days. esp when Mattel started pulling on the reigns.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

These redesigns continue to be the drizzling *****...I am enjoying, to an extent, the story. But the art is inconsistent...nice at times, like it was drawn by a drunk at others.

Oddly enough... this captures my thoughts almost completely ---^ I can't help but think better and more consistent art would help the whole package rise above. The dialogue is still clunky, especially when Adam is talking to himself about why he's so capable even though he's merely a simple woodsman, but God willing he'll get his memory back soon and we can drop this whole pretense of amnesia. It's gettin old fast.
    Harken the coming of Dragstor!!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    These DC comics are interesting as a non-fandom take (which has the characters doing things we'd NEVER see them do. This isn't a bad thing as the creator's fanboyishness could hold them back creatively), but I liked getting the in-jokes and references that the MVC creators lovingly but in. IDW's Transformers More Than Meets The Eye series is like that now, filled with a bunch quirky TF characters chocked full of personality. I just read MTMTE's annual and it is leaps and bounds what I hope a Masters of the Universe comic would be. Especially that Ultra Magnus plot and that Drift/Ratchet argument about religion vs atheism.

Quote Originally Posted by Telkan2 View Post
    You may not have thought of SOTS initially, but surely you can at least understand why some of us who prefer our Teelas redheaded and our She-Ras blonde would be irritated, right? As BCR mentioned above and I mentioned in the other post, as She-Ra and He-Man are flying away from the Fright Zone (following her saving him), she explains to a newly rescued Adam/He-Man that they "have a lot to talk about." In the comic, Teela says they have "a lot to talk about" right after rescuing Adam, and even places the emphasis in the same place. Besides that, she has a similar sword to the Sword of Protection (though only really glimpsed in that one promo image to date), blonde hair, blue eyes, and is wearing a hooded outfit (at the moment) similar to the one Adora wears when on her quest to learn the truth about the Horde's evil ways.
    I understand why POP fans or Red haired Teela fans don't like Teela being blonde in non-Pre-Filmation adventures, but I didn't immediately see that SOTS quote (if the creative team is even referencing SOTS. Robinson might not have done that, but Giffen is a fan), because I'm not looking for Blonde Teela's similarities to Adora, She-Ra or POP in this book. This might be second nature to POP fans, but to Pre-Filmation fans, we see a blonde woman by He-Man's side as Teela.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; September 13, 2012 at 03:15pm.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

this series is soooo slooooowww. Talk about writing for the trade.

I'd give it a free pass on everything else if the story was moving more quickly (and was more interesting).

If I had to pick one thing that's wrong with modern comics - it's the "decompressed" storytelling.
    That's one of the main reasons I'm loving MTMTE from IDW. So much story - and character - in each issue.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Croaker View Post
    this series is soooo slooooowww. Talk about writing for the trade.

I'd give it a free pass on everything else if the story was moving more quickly (and was more interesting).

If I had to pick one thing that's wrong with modern comics - it's the "decompressed" storytelling.
    That's one of the main reasons I'm loving MTMTE from IDW. So much story - and character - in each issue.
    I agree, MTMTE & RID are supercool comic series with consistent art & good stories...and they respect G1 fans...

Agree with people's comments on the art. It's a mixed bag. Some panels look great, most look ho-hum. The story does move slow, but more annoyingly they keep putting He-Man on the cover and he hasn't made an appearance yet.

The best aspect, so far, is their version of Eternia in a post-He-Man era ruled by Skeletor. That is a great premise, worth exploring. I'm in for all six. Blonde haired Teela does not bother me. I appreciate warrior chicks of all hair colors and lengths.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    • I kinda like Adam and Teela's bickering. It seems pretty familiar.
    • Do the villains know that Adam is He-Man? Adam isn't supposed to be a great fighter.
    • Beast Man got his ass kicked by Adam, but Trap Jaw almost killed him.
    • Skeletor had a point...Trap jaw played this out like a James Bond villain and gave Adam time to escape instead of simply killing him.
    • I have a feeling that each of the six main Evil Warriors might try each issue to kill Adam until he reaches Skeletor. So we're off to Stage 3 now...going from the cover, it's a water stage!
    • Awww....only four and a quarter pages of Blonde Teela action. Bummer. Oh, well...I have the rest of the series.

I like the idea that Skeletor divided up Eternia for his Evil Warriors, with him ruling at Castle Grayskull.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eela/012-1.jpg

Pre-Filmation DC and the mini-comics did a better job of showing two blond characters in the same scenes. And that was 30 years ago.
    Comics were simply better 30 years ago. Take out an old comic and look at how dense the story actually is. Now look at a modern comic- hardly any story in comparison. Comics look more sleek now, but I do not think the quality of the story telling comes close. And yes, old comics have amazing artwork, all colored using paints... great stuff!
    I will NEVER believe that Mermista beheaded Mer-Man! You sit on a throne of lies.... and smell of beef and cheese, bio writer!!!!

I think part of the problem is there are two different artists (four if you include the inkers) at work here. One of which is fan favorite Howard Porter () Makes it look sloppy.

I don't mind Castle Grayskull - IF it is Skeletor's handiwork at play. It does look like Hordak's apprentice made his own Fright Zone. Also, if SLL is reminiscent of Cobra Commander, does it surprise you to see the Terror Dome? (Did I get the right name )

An aside: if the ruler of Grayskull has the ability to change it's appearance, why doesn't the Sorceress spiff it up every once in the while?

I did like the dialogue better in this one; not as clunky as the first. However, it's kind of weird how laid back Skeletor is (force choking aside). I would think he'd be a least a little more ****** off.
    Last edited by Nekk-ra; September 13, 2012 at 06:00pm.
    Classics TGR figures should be Filmation-based, but they NEED MORE COWBELL!

This was also the first time blonde Teela bothered me. Even though I'm a hard-core Filmation fan I didn't feel too strongly about her going blonde, but seeing it in actual media made me realize that she should for sure be a red head.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.