Thread: John Erwin

John Erwin

There was some talk a while back that Alan O was tired of doing skeletor. Yet, he seems to have mellowed a bit and is now, if not gladly, doing conventions. I so hope to get to see him at Power Con in NY next year.
    But what about John Erwin? The last thing I heard about him was that he sort of vanished after he-man and the reason given was some excuse about 'not wanting to ruin the image of the character, because he doesn't look like said character'. is there any video of him in the recording booth, photos, etc? has anyone tried to contact him for power con?

later
    Last edited by Shredder; September 12, 2012 at 12:10am.
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    There was some talk a while back that Alan O was tired of doing skeletor. Yet, he seems to have mellowed a bit and is now, if not gladly, doing conventions. I so hope to get to see him at Power Con in NY next year.
    But what about John Erwin? The last thing I heard about him was that he sort of vanished after he-man and the reason given was some excuse about 'not wanting to ruin the image of the character, because he doesn't look like said character'. is there any video of him in the recording booth, photos, etc? has anyone tried to contact him for power con?

later
    Alan talked about this at length last year at PowerCon, John feels he cannot live up to the image of He-Man so he refuses to do it. Maybe after the overwhelming reception Alan and Melendy received last year that idea might begin to change, but I doubt it.

As far as I know he won't even entertain the idea at this point in time
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Heroic Warrior
    I wish he did attended.

Such a terrific voice actor, he was even Reggie in the 60s/70s Archie toons.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Shredder...and I don't usually say this to people...but what's with the tone? From the videos I saw of their appearance at Power Con last year, both Alan and Melendy were nothing but gracious - and game! - when dealing with fans. To suggest that Alan's not "gladly" doing this seems like unsubstantiated spin on your part...unless Alan's complained somewhere and I missed it!

As for John, well honestly, if I was him and reading your post I probably wouldn't want to appear at a convention either. You're dismissing his reasons (if those are in fact his reasons) as invalid simply because...what? You want to shake his hand and take a picture? And if he doesn't want to do that, well then...he's got a problem?

Alan, Melendy and John were part of one of the biggest toy/cartoon phenomenons of our generation. If they've decided to move past it in their lives, then that's up to them and should be respected.

Saying we'd love to have them is totally fine. Saying their reasons aren't good enough if they aren't interested isn't fine, and that seemed to be what you were saying in your post.

I love how people read into things.
    All I stated was what I've heard in the past. I'm happy that Alan seems to have gotten past the 'I don't want to be associated with Skeletor' phase I heard he was in not more than ten years back. John still seems to be in that state. from what I've read, he still doesn't care for people asking him about the show..

nothing negative about it. just reacting to what I've heard over the years and wondering if anything has changed.

although now i am ****** hearing power con 2013 is still going to be in LA rather than NY. That you can quote :o)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Alan talked about this at length last year at PowerCon, John feels he cannot live up to the image of He-Man so he refuses to do it. Maybe after the overwhelming reception Alan and Melendy received last year that idea might begin to change, but I doubt it.

As far as I know he won't even entertain the idea at this point in time

huh, I thought I replied to this..I certainly hope so! If memory serve, She-Ra's VA (don't want to spell her name wrong!) had the same concerns. What John has to realize is, most people don't care what you look like. people will like ya all the same .
    Geek Media -

Unedited Director's Cut Captain Wow's Avatar
    I was told a while back by someone in the know that Mr. Erwin is also very shy so that might also be a reason he doesn't want to do conventions.
    "You see, I've got this real moron thing I do...it's called 'thinking'...and I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wow View Post
    I was told a while back by someone in the know that Mr. Erwin is also very shy so that might also be a reason he doesn't want to do conventions.
    huh..now that i can understand. probably the very thought of being bombarded by questions seizes up his mind like it does mine .
    Geek Media -

I was pretty impressed I got my autograph request back from him. Rumors I had heard before made it seem as if he wouldn't even respond to such requests, either.
    Last edited by He-Manis007; December 1, 2012 at 07:19pm.
    Live in the Connecticut/SW Massachusetts area? Need a tutor for you or your kids? PM me!

The name is Bond.... James Bond.