Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Mekaneck Discussion Thread

MOTUC Mekaneck Discussion Thread

Had a thought for an accessory - perhaps we can have additional Mekanek neck pieces?

Mek could be designed so that his head could be removed from his extendable neck and additional neck pieces added. Not all of the neck would go back into the body, but that wouldn't be the point - the point would be that he was posable/playable with a long long neck.

Good idea, but actually, it was already said fairly early on that Mekaneck would have neck pieces that snap together rather than a single extending neck if they make a Mekaneck figure because MOTUC won't have action features (like extending necks, power-punch/spring action, etc.).

I mentioned this in your other thread, but I do think it'd be cool if the neck was articulated in a chain of (disguised) ball and socket joints that could be posed in all sorts of positions.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    MOTUC won't have action features (like extending necks, power-punch/spring action, etc.).
    Good and bad. Good because we can move them at the hips without them springing all over the place. Bad because some action features were - uh, good! (like Saurod's sparks, Mek's neck)

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    Good and bad. Good because we can move them at the hips without them springing all over the place. Bad because some action features were - uh, good! (like Saurod's sparks, Mek's neck)
    Yeah, it's sort of a mixed bag. I'm one who's generally OK with no action features and prefer MOTUC to not have them, but I'll admit it's difficult to envision some figures without them.

MOTUC Mekaneck speculation thread

I feel that most MOTUC figures will be just fine without action features. However, Mekaneck is one of those few classic MOTU figures who not only had a cool design, but was also defined by his action feature as well. I feel that the nostalgia of Mekaneck may be lost if his neck didn’t extend and retract. If his neck could simply be pulled up and pushed down, without the inclusion of any automatic waist twist or spring loaded pop-up action feature, does that really classify as an “action” feature? In my opinion, if the feature is done manually, it doesn’t count as an action feature.

My idea for how I would have handled him would be to allow his neck to extend up and down only about an inch and a half. It would have no twist feature like the original. It could simply be pulled up and pushed down. The neck would snap ever so slightly into the down position just tight enough to hold but not tight enough to make it difficult to extend. It would snap tighter into the extended position so that it wouldn’t slip down. Since heads are detachable in this line, he could have additional neck attachments to extend his neck for poses. I would give him at least one straight neck attachment and one that kind of curves around. If Mekaneck were made this way, the only articulation that would be compromised would be his stomach. If he has armor covering his entire torso, his stomach articulation would be hindered anyway.

I’m aware that Mattel has stated that Mekaneck will not have any neck extending feature. I hope that he is slated late enough in the line, and that MOTUC is so successful, that Mattel has time to reconsider special (not necessarily “action”) features for those few figures whose action features really defined the classic MOTU toy.

While Meks extending neck was one of my favorite features as a kid, I unfortunatly have an opposite view to the MOTUC version than FAKER II. This is an adult collector line and I really dont plan on playing with this toy. Im fine if Mattel simply provides a neck attachment for Mek's extended look. Im not interested in having "action features" with this toy line. Id love to get a Battle Armour He-man but I dont feel the need to have battle damage action on it.

MOTUC is a line that I plan to display, I have no interest in having action features. While I know that Mattel can never make every figure perfect Id be concerned about the neck articulation causing major problems. There has already been issues with bent legs and poor paint apps, a moving neck feature would surely create a huge quality control issue.

In the end Im happier with a simpler figure if it means the quality control is there. If they made the neck adjustable and I recieved a figure with a bum neck Id be incredibly aggrevated. Lets just keep the figures looking cool without bringing in the secondary action functions.

Don't want the retractable at all.

Always hated it. Great, he can see an inch higher than everyone else...

I much prefer a much longer, and hopefully flexible replaceable neck/head.

I'm with you on this. Though I'm probably in the minority, I'd really like for Mekaneck's neck to have the ability to extend and retract. As you mentioned in your post, they could always add extensions to that since the head is removable.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Don't want the retractable at all.

Always hated it. Great, he can see an inch higher than everyone else...

I much prefer a much longer, and hopefully flexible replaceable neck/head.
    Same here!

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Nah, I like the removable alternate neck lengths he will have as stated by Mattel.

For it to extend, that would be messing with a hollow torso cavity capable of accommodating the feature, and I'd rather those new tooling dollars were spent on new buck bodies, or Battle Cat, or more accessories, or more alternate portraits, etc. etc.

Bang your head!!!
    My art blog:
    http://jeremypeerboom.blogspot.com/

The Power and Honor Foundation:
    http://www.powerandhonor.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    I'm with you on this. Though I'm probably in the minority, I'd really like for Mekaneck's neck to have the ability to extend and retract. As you mentioned in your post, they could always add extensions to that since the head is removable.
    I would like that action feature as well, even though I know he won't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    I would also prefer for Mekaneck's neck to have the ability to extend and retract.

E/R Mekaneck, please. I know they can do it!
    Your support means more research for the Myostatin-challenged.

I like the removable neck idea myself.

As much as I like the action features, Mekaneck's action feature was always awkward. In order for it to work, Mekaneck always had to twist to the side to raise his neck to see.

I'd much prefer an add-on head with more of an extended neck, so he won't have to twist his waist to the side to see.

I'm not a fan of the twist action at all. I'd prefer 2 heads - a standard head and a head on the extended (and flexible) neck.

Yes, I too am glad that we'll be getting instead a longer, swap-in neck. That way, he actually sees further as he was meant to. While I have loved each Mek fig so far, I want him to be able to reach farther up with his neck than already tall characters like Clawful or Whiplash (here I refer to 200X).
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nato View Post
    As much as I like the action features, Mekaneck's action feature was always awkward. In order for it to work, Mekaneck always had to twist to the side to raise his neck to see.

I'd much prefer an add-on head with more of an extended neck, so he won't have to twist his waist to the side to see.
    If they did give him the action feature, they would probably update it.

Heroic Warrior
    One of the problems I see with this, is, if they are reusing the bodies, the torso has a bend in it just above the waist. They would have to make a solid torso along with the parts inside to extend the neck.

Not that their trying to be cheap, but they want to use as much of the existing parts as possible, so they will more than likely just make the head, maybe with a neck extention, or maybe with 3 or 4 segments you can snap together to make his neck longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    For it to extend, that would be messing with a hollow torso cavity capable of accommodating the feature, and I'd rather those new tooling dollars were spent on new buck bodies, or Battle Cat, or more accessories, or more alternate portraits, etc. etc.
    Good point. IMO, it would be a huge waste of resources. Very little bang for the buck.

Quote Originally Posted by MossMan710179 View Post
    I was aware of that. Hence, I said…
    Quote Originally Posted by FAKER II View Post
    I’m aware that Mattel has stated that Mekaneck will not have any neck extending feature.
    To all those who would just prefer to have swappable neck parts without any extending/retracting feature I can respect your position. We all have our own tastes and I can see that mine are clearly in the minority. There are just a few points I’d like to comment on.

Many have said that they’d like the neck to be really long. I really don’t see this as a valid point against my idea. I stated that in addition to the neck feature, I would have liked him to have additional pieces so that his neck could pose even longer. The heads are still removable so just because his neck could move up and down a little, doesn’t mean it could be even longer with additions.

There’s also the extra tooling would be expensive argument. I can not deny that this is a valid point, especially this early in the line. That is why I stated that I hoped he came out later, after MOTUC proved to be successful. The implication being that if the line was really successful then Mattel would be willing to spend more money on unique sculpts. How many times has the answer to so many questions been, “it depends on how well the line does”? Remember that Mattel said that if they did Extendar that he would actually extend? That figure is a completely original sculpt, where as I’m only asking for an extra torso. I know Mattel hasn’t confirmed that any figures like Extendar will get made, but they haven’t flat out denied the possibility.

I think we can all state valid reasons as well as blatant excuses to defend our sides. I think it really all boils down to what we prefer. I prefer nostalgia over anything, and to me, that includes a working neck extension for Mekaneck. I don’t mean to disrespect anyone else whose opinions differ from my own.

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    True, it does boil down to personal preference, but I'd rather have a new sculpt for Extendar than a new torso for Mek.

Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    True, it does boil down to personal preference, but I'd rather have a new sculpt for Extendar than a new torso for Mek.
    I heart Extendar.