Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Clash of Styles

Supreme Sorceress Queen Grayskull's Avatar

The Clash of Styles

Hey guys and gals out there on the .org,

on the German forums website planeteternia.de, member Polygonus created a so-called "Clash of Styles" some time ago. I thought it would might be cool trying to start such a project here, too, so here I am.

The idea is to instantly contrast the different drawing styles of two users. One user challenges another, and the challenger starts the picture drawing his or her half of the artwork which means that he or she does the first step working on the first part of the artwork. This half mustn't take more space than half of the whole sheet because the second participant, the challenged one, has to complete the picture just the way he or she imagines it.

To send the first part of a picture to the challenged user, you can either put the sheet with your half of the drawing into an envelope and send it to the destined person, or (what's especially better in case of international clashs so that you don't need to send a picture overseas and pay lots of postage) you just send the destined person an e-mail containing the attached picture. I already took part at the "Clash of Styles" project on planeteternia.de forums several times, and the results were mostly quite surprising because of the individual interpretations of the challenged users. And it's thrilling to be challenged as you never know what you get! The fist part of the picture is a surprise, and the second, too, for it can give the whole artwork a totally different touch, leading your original imagination of the completed picture into an entirely different direction! In my view, that's the point making this project amazingly interesting!

To show you what I mean, here's an example - the first Clash of Styles picture drawn by German He-Fan and planeteternia.de member Polygonus, finished by one of the best artists ever - He-Man.org's "Bashasaurus" Emiliano Santalucia at last year's Grayskull Convention!

Polygonus' original drawing:

Emiliano's finished artwork:

By the way, the format of the sheets is A4 so that you can easier scan your pictures or completed artworks and print them if you want (or need to - if you received the pic by e-mail). Usually, the challenger scans his or her first part of the artwork after drawing it and then sends it to the person he or she has challenged. After receiving the sheet with the fist part of the artwork, the challenged user completes the picture and returns it to the challenger. The challenger, who is allowed to keep the finished artwork and become its owner, finally scans the finished artwork and posts it in the "Clash of Styles" thread.

I hope you understood the basic idea of this project so far. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!
    I hope we can run the Clash of Styles project together here on the .org! Let me know what you think.

For He-Man.org members who'd like to take a look at the German "Clash of Styles" thread on planeteternia.de, here's a link:

http://www.planeteternia.de/cgi-bin/...D=60438&Page=1

I kinda like this idea

How are chalengers selected?

Quote Originally Posted by Pyre View Post
    I kinda like this idea

How are chalengers selected?
    Thank you for your interest and your question!

First of all, interested users post here. Then I'll list the names of all participants here in this thread. There are no special criteria to qualify as challenger; as soon as all participating He-Man.org members are listed, anyone can challenge each other. Anybody who's interested can participate anytime; "newbies" are always welcome! The more users participate, the richer in variety the project will be!

Besides, you can use anything you want for your drawings - pencils, biros, copics, and so on - , and all kinds of drawings are welcome - no matter if coloured or not! You can draw just the way you like to - the main thing is that you have fun!
    Last edited by Queen Grayskull; September 16, 2012 at 03:29pm.

Here are some pictures I recently drew for the German Clash of Styles on planeteternia.de forums:

Challenging Polygonus with this first part of the picture:

That's what he made of it:

(The rebels are having a barbecue, and Bow is asking Kowl: "Another piece from the hip, Kowl?"; Kowl answers to him: "Yes, please! Delicious!". Catra watches the scene and quickly realizes that they're grilling and eating her longtime companion Clawdeen. She begins to cry and comments: "These barbarians...")

Challenging BornToulouse - my half of the artwork:

And here's the clash result:

(Hordak is very upset because the Goddess magically coloured his new creation "Cy-Chop" not as he expected her to do that...)

Challenging Saurod the Lizard - my part:

Completed picture:

(This was a biro clash what means that we both drew by biros; the title of the finished artwork is "Kowl has a stomachache".)
    Last edited by Queen Grayskull; September 16, 2012 at 03:28pm.

Is there no one who's interested???

It sounds interesting but iīm not much into challenge, competing and comparison.

Patreek asked me to join the Trap Jaw redesign challenge and i said yes knowing i wouldnīt win...but in the end not one voted for my picture...

so for now iīm keeping a low profile.

Once my confidence is a bit higher again i will try my luck!

I don't really view this as a comp rather as just a fun art exercise. By what I can figure someone does half a pic in their art style and you finish it in yours.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    I don't really view this as a comp rather as just a fun art exercise. By what I can figure someone does half a pic in their art style and you finish it in yours.
    Exactly! That's the idea behind it. This is NO COMPETITION, and there will never be any winners or "losers" so that no one needs to feel advantaged or disadvantaged because of that.
    It's a fun art exercise where two different art styles get presented on one sheet - as ONE picture consisting of two halves done by two artists.

But this project can only bring fun with people who are ready to participate, so don't be shy and "dare" getting started - I'm absolutely sure you won't ever regret it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    It sounds interesting but iīm not much into challenge, competing and comparison.

Patreek asked me to join the Trap Jaw redesign challenge and i said yes knowing i wouldnīt win...but in the end not one voted for my picture...

so for now iīm keeping a low profile.

Once my confidence is a bit higher again i will try my luck!

Lol, don't worry Niki. I only got one vote. I loved my idea, but guess noone shared the love. But man, when yu have concepts like what Prime and Bearshow put together... and you can only vote for one concept after all.

This sounds like fun sharella. I'm in.

Thank you! I'm very happy to read that.

Lol, don't worry Niki. I only got one vote. I loved my idea, but guess noone shared the love. But man, when yu have concepts like what Prime and Bearshow put together... and you can only vote for one concept after all.

Oh, yes, their pictures were better and i know that but getting no vote hit me harder than i expected...

But i should stop whinning and thatīs life

So Sharella if you want that Cry Baby, count me in

Oh, yes, their pictures were better and i know that but getting no vote hit me harder than i expected...

But i should stop whinning and thatīs life

So Sharella if you want that Cry Baby, count me in
    A pleasure! Welcome to the Clash of Styles!

So, are Niki and I the first two "Clash Of the Styles America" artists to create a piece?

It could be fun I guess

Ok I'm in.

It could be fun I guess

Ok I'm in.
    Yeah buddy! Maybe you and I will do a piece together sometime

Okay, so far we have the following participants:

Sharella (of course, you can challenge me as the "moderator" of this thread, too!)
    Pyre
    Niki
    Wolfsfang

@Pyre: If you'd like to challenge Niki, you're free to do that. As I explained above, every participant can challenge each other.

So, if Niki agrees to accept the challenge, you can start the "American Clash of Styles" with the very first piece!

@Wolfsfang: What about an art clash between us two? Are you ready to accept my challenge?
    Last edited by Queen Grayskull; September 25, 2012 at 07:07pm.

I agree and iīm taking the challenge.

So that means, Pyre challenged me, he has to start and sends me his half which i have to finish with my half.

Is that correct?!

Pyre i will pm you my email address once Sharella confirms i understood the rules correctly

Quote Originally Posted by Sharella View Post

@Wolfsfang: What about an art clash between us two? Are you ready to accept my challenge?
    ya sure, why not. If you wish I shall PM you my email address

I agree and iīm taking the challenge.

So that means, Pyre challenged me, he has to start and sends me his half which i have to finish with my half.

Is that correct?!

Pyre i will pm you my email address once Sharella confirms i understood the rules correctly
    Yes, that's absolutely correct! Pyre as the challenger has to start and emails you his half which you then finish with yours.

ya sure, why not. If you wish I shall PM you my email address
    Yeah, please PM me your email address so that I can send you my half of the picture once it will be ready.

@Wolfsfang: Because of an unforeseen delay, I wasn't able to start drawing my half of the picture yet, but I'm hopeful that I can begin tomorrow.

Here's my latest pic for the German Clash of Styles project on planeteternia.de forums (which I drew last week) presenting Demo-Man and titled "From Despondos to Snake Mountain":

Last edited by Queen Grayskull; September 25, 2012 at 10:42pm.

Looks great!

And by the way Pyre and pm each other to clear up some things and now iīm waiting for his picture.

This is actually a really cool idea you had there and thank you for bringing it to the .Org !

Looks great!

And by the way Pyre and pm each other to clear up some things and now iīm waiting for his picture.

This is actually a really cool idea you had there and thank you for bringing it to the .Org !

You're welcome! I'm very happy to read that you like it.

I thought it would be cool to try to bring this great idea of planeteternia.de forums member Polygonus to an international He-Man Fansite, and as the .org is the largest international He-Fan forum I know (and surely the largest there is! ), I simply took heart and posted the topic here. That's all - the rest is your turn now, for the clash of styles project is only kept alive on the initiative of forum members here... People who love drawing and like to have fun by becoming a part of the project themselves!

Here's my newest piece (also drawn within the last week) for the German Clash of Styles showing Prince Adam and Battleground Teela at sunset:

Last edited by Queen Grayskull; September 25, 2012 at 10:41pm.

@Wolfsfang: My part of the picture is ready at last, and email has been sent to you!
    I apologize for the delay.

For those who'd like to speculate on how Wolfsfang is going to complete the artwork, here's my half:

@Pyre: Once your half of the pic is ready and you've sent it to Niki, you can post it here, too, if you want.
    Last edited by Queen Grayskull; September 28, 2012 at 10:40pm.

thing about me is that people won't have to speculate for very long because....I'm finished (just don't expect me to finish all pics this quickly I just had nothing else to do all day)

Last edited by wolfsfang; October 1, 2012 at 09:27am.

thing about me is that people won't have to speculate for very long because....I'm finished (just don't expect me to finish all pics this quickly I just had nothing else to do all day)

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...e-bad-boys.jpg
    Wow, very cool! I like it!!! Good work and great idea - very funny and original to see Dree Elle in love with Imp!!!
    Unfortunately, I'm not as skilled in drawing digitally as you are - cool style!!!
    I usually use Photoshop for coloring my pictures, but for clashes like this one, I always prefer the "traditional" way!

Thank you so much for this amazing clash - the first one ever here on he-man.org!!!
    Last edited by Queen Grayskull; October 1, 2012 at 06:25pm.