Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any interest in seeing my custom metal MOTU miniatures?

Heroic Podcaster

Any interest in seeing my custom metal MOTU miniatures?

Hey gang! My other interest besides MOTU is a game called Blood Bowl - a table top game that is basically monster football. I can totally see them playing it on Eternia! Anyway, the game is played with metal miniatures and I sometimes paint my own teams so I thought it would be awesome to have a MOTU team! I even remembered they made metal MOTU miniatures back in the 80s! Perfect!

Well, not so perfect when the rarity and expense of those sets brought REALITY into this picture. So I decided I would customize metal (with some plastic additions) miniatures for each and every MOTU character, beginning with the vintage toyline. My criteria is this -

1. I have to like the miniature.
    2. It has to share at least two main features with a MOTU character, or be made to with minimal modifications. This is because not only am I lazy but the more changes you make to a figiure, the more potential you have for complete failure. Keep it simple stupid! (Stupid would be me in this case!)

And that's it! I have not painted/finished any bases yet (I'm thinking of unifying the team by making every base pale green Greyskull colors, with rubble around their feet, maybe some skulls) but so far I have finished figures for

Beast Man (my first - the mini was so perfect for him it inspired me to try the rest - and I bought a second to make Moss Man out of!)
    Evil Lyn (yellow/blue and I bought a second to make the 200X colors)
    Skeletor
    Trap Jaw (though still working on his jaw)
    Extendar
    Spikor
    Man-At-Arms
    Kobra Khan

and have these others in various stages of completion

Two Bad (90% done, not happy with his orange armor yet)
    Fisto (90% done, just need to add washes to his purple and metal areas)
    Whiplash (20% done, only been green washed so far)
    Rio Blast (figure only - two gun cowboy!, modded and primed)
    Mer-Man (big fish creature only, primed)
    Stratos (chose a birdman for him, lost the flying ape essence but want to see the colors on him, figure primed only)
    Moss Man (figure chosen, same as Beast Man, but uncleaned and unprimed)
    Tri-Klops (figure primed)

and I did make Roboto out of a large Priavateer Press WarMech - he is twice as big as the others for you 200X fans out there! He';s done, just need to finish his base.

Is there any interest in seeing these? I'm terrible at photos but will try if anyone is curious. Some of these are definitely different takes on these characters but I am limited by the models available. Though, I have begun to appreciate that because it has forced me to see them in a new light.

Let me know and I'll either post pics or let this thread die. Also, if you have any suggestions for miniatures to use, I'm all ears! Or if you have any of the MOTU metal minis from the 80s for sale, let me know!
    Last edited by SunDevil; September 18, 2012 at 12:58pm.
    QUEEN ANGELLA! - BLAST ATTAK! - Buzzsaw Hordak - Dragstor - Flying Fists He-Man
    Lazer Light He-Man - Lazer Light Skeletor - MULTI-BOT! - NINJOR! - Peekablue
    Perfuma - Rotar - Saurod - SSSQUEEZE! - Terror Claws Skeletor - Twistoid

IQ test results: negative sdilks's Avatar
    Dude. Do you even have to ask? OF COURSE we want to see them!!!

Post them up! I can't wait to see! Especially Fisto!
    "The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that none of it has tried to contact us." -B.W.

Freelance Gynecologist masterenglish's Avatar
    Sounds really cool. I would like to see them.

Yes please!
    One with the Power

My feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=197226

Help save the Stargate series vist http://www.facebook.com/SaveSGU

Heroic Podcaster
    Cool, I just didn't want to waste anyone's time! Because I am a complete technology idiot, my wife is taking the time to show me how to post pictures online this weekend! Be patient! I think I'll just post everything and then use that as motivation to get more of them done! I'm hoping to finish Fisto tonight and start on Mer-Man and Stratos!

Looking forward to it man!
    Your support means more research for the Myostatin-challenged.

I'd love to see them Sundevil, even if I plan to copy your designs and use them for heroclix mods
    Right or wrong, buying a sub tells Mattel you want more MOTUC figures. Not buying does tells them you don't. Don't let MOTUC end early because you might not like their marketing strategy! Plus polls show you won't regret subbing!

One of the true fan minority - happy MOTU fans!

www.marveltoys.net - the source for marvel figure information.

Robots and Monsters! TrimmTrabb's Avatar
    I'd love to see some MOTU figures customized into Blood Bowl players, actually.

Heroic Podcaster
    I'll be adding pics this weekend! I forgot to add Ram Man and Scare Glow to the list of 'done' players.

TrimmTrabb - another BBer? Nice! I's like to play these minis as a Human team eventually but the collection will someday include over 40 miniatiures since obviously the vintage MOTU roster is way larger than a standard BB team.

You ever listen to any BB podcasts? Check my sig, I had to ask.

Heroic Podcaster
    Sorry for the delay, some things came up this weekend but I hope to take the pictures and post them tonight.

Bring them on man, wanna see these guys.....
    http://http://80sMasters.com/
    It's your place for Freedom of Speach for everything MOTU, POP, TMNT, , Horror, Wrestling, DC and Batman, and all other properties that are cool.
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter.... BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

Heroic Podcaster
    Attachment 79509

It worked! I won't even tell who these are because if you cant tell, then I need to scrap them and try again! I'd like to spread these out so someone post so I can post another!
    Last edited by SunDevil; October 8, 2012 at 05:49pm.

Go ahead, post another one.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

Movie mayhem!
    Can you post pictures of the base figures you are using for the list you posted above. love seeing befores and then afters

Looks like Roboto....
    Top Ten MOTUC wants: Sagitar, Great Black Wizard, Fang-or, Dragstor, Peekablue, Skeletor's Skeleton Warriors, Despara, Evil Seed (all era) w/Odiphus, Illumina w/Sleetah, Lady Slither

Heroic Podcaster
    Attachment 79510

Sorry this one is blurry.

The Roboto was a Privateer Press Warjack from their Warmachine game. I did not mod it at all, just left off his shield.

I wont be able to post before pics as I am barely tech literate enough to post these!

This guy was made from a Snake Sanders Fantasy Football miniature from Impact miniatures. They sponsor my podcast so I was able to get a good deal on this one.

Heroic Podcaster
    Attachment 79514

I am still working on his jaw. I have some pieces from another mini that I hope to glue on there and paint.

HE was originally a Human Blitzer from Games Workshop (from their Blood Bowl line) with a modified arm. THe arm is also from Games Workshop, from their Necron Squad (from their Warhammer 40k line),

I originally wanted to use these guys as a Blood Bowl team but that game puts a lot of wear on minis. I may just finish this series and put them in a display case. I hope to eventually have every vintage figure so it will take some time.

Heroic Podcaster
    Attachment 79515

Sorry these are so blurry! I'm still learning to do this. I hope to retake some of these, also to show them when I finish their Grayskull bases.

Heroic Podcaster
    Attachment 79516

This guy was the one that started it all! He was a Ghoul from Games Workshop's Blood Bowl line, Undead team. I was looking at one and it just came to me that I could paint it in a way that would be, well, this guy we all know and love! I bought a second one to paint green and flock with material we usually use for the field grass on the base...parts reuse in this project as well! I'll let you imagine who that will be.

The last picture showed a mini that was from Reaper, some super villain they have. I did mod him somewhat, carving off his metal head and replacing it with two heads from Games Workshop's Warhammer line.

Heroic Podcaster
    Attachment 79517

You 200X fans will like this (although I certainly have some 200X elements in some of these others) in that when I saw this Samurai from Impact miniatures Divine Wind Elfball team, I immediately thought of our favorite cyclone warrior from Anwat Gar!

Heroic Podcaster
    Attachment 79518

I really like how this one turned out. I had this mini for a few months before finding the perfect use for him. I can't remember exactly who makes him but I got him from Impact miniatures.

Heroic Podcaster
    Attachment 79519

This one is only so-so. I like the old mini - it's a 2nd Edition Human Lineman Blood Bowl miniature - and it sure is spiky! But the pose leaves me sort of cold. This is the second I've made for this guy and I'm still not convinced I'm done.

Heroic Podcaster
    Attachment 79520

I would have liked to see his face but I do like this one. It is a Games Workshop Chaos Warrior from, again, Blood Bowl. See the theme here? I love MOTU and I love Blood Bowl so I've really enjoyed putting them together!

Heroic Podcaster
    Attachment 79521

This was an Impact Miniatures Black Widow midfielder form the Elfball line. Yes, I did buy another to make the light purple/dark purple 200x version! I did give her the white hair that I now believe to be under her helmet regardless of what era she's from.

She is a bit risque but I liked the 'battle-readiness' of this one vs all the robed sorceress minis out there. I'll use one of those for the Sorceress. Still looking for a badass female warrior for Teela.
    Last edited by SunDevil; October 9, 2012 at 12:10am.