Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 30TH Anniversary Commemorative DVD Collection coming in December!

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    I found this early today, and for a lot less than the current Amazon preorder price! (though I'm sure Amazon's will drop some before release). I picked it up, and I'll post some pics later tonight.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Where did you pick it up?

Picked it up?????? Where?
    “You don't stop playing because you grow old you grow old because you stop playing.” George Benard Shaw.

Pics!!!

Here's pics of my set... I got number 4,785 out of 15,000

Here's all 4 sides of the box while in the outer plastic cover:

And all 4 sides with the plastic cover removed:

How the box opens:

The discs and the episode guide are all stacked on top of each other under the soundtrack. The soundtrack is the only disc that comes in a CD jewel case. The rest are in cardboard sleeves.

Here's the inside of the soundtrack CD case:

And here's the contents of the box all laid out:

Here's MOTUC He-Man holding the sword that comes with this set while standing next to the box:

And here's the set taking it's rightful place on the same shelf in my DVD closet with the rest of my MOTU/POP DVDs. As you can see, this was, in many ways, a redundant purchase since aside from the content that is specifically exclusive to this set, I already have everything included (in most cases a couple of times over), but I had to have it! ...

Were the discs in good shape (did they have scratches and scuffs)? I'm curious if the cardboard is any better than their typical paper sleeves.

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    Wow! That's a good lookin' set! And I love the sword!!!

Two questions:

Where did you find it?

What episodes of NA are included?

Thanks, and congrats!
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

To answer some questions...

I found the set at Fry's Electronics. I don't know if all locations broke the street date, but my local one did. They had several copies of it. It's actually a little out of my way, and I mainly went there today to get 'The Year Without A Santa Claus' on Blu-Ray because they have it for a MUCH lower price than most any other retailer that I've seen. And as I was walking around looking in the Blu-RAY and DVD section, I stumbled across this and was happily surprised. Then I looked at the price tag and got even more excited... it was $53.99! Not super-cheap, but A LOT better than most pre- order prices that I've seen online, which have mainly been in the $80s range. Amazon's current preorder price is $89.99. While I'm sure it will drop some before the release date, I don't know if it will by THAT much.

In response to Firefly, after reading your post, I checked the discs. There doesn't seam to be any scratches that I notice, but my 80s MOTU S1 disc 5 has these 2 weird small clear circles on it. I'm not sure what that is or if it will effect playback, but I plan to try that disc out ASAP. I'll take a pic of this when I have a chance.

In response to Ornclown, the NA episodes are (as listed in the episode guide book):

Disc 1:
    NA01- A New Beginning
    NA05- The Ultimate Challenge
    NA06- Sword & Staff
    NA08- Glastnost Schmaznost
    NA16- Crack in the World
    NA17- Escape From Gaolotia
    NA20- Fading Star
    NA22- The Mind Lens
    NA23- Adam's Adventure
    NA26- Sanctuary

Disc 2:
    NA27- Council of Clones
    NA34- Zone of Darkness
    NA35- Once Upon a Time
    NA38- Four Ways to Sundown
    NA40- The New Wizard in Town
    NA41- The Nemesis Within
    NA45- You're in the Army Now
    NA50- Mutiny on the Mothership
    NA52- The Running of the Herd
    NA65- The Final Invasion

I just got finished watching the 30th anniversary documentary. It was pretty cool. I won't give away too many specifics, but there was a brief 'cameo' of a Spy Monkey accessory that I noticed.
    Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; December 3, 2012 at 12:20am.

NA is not complete. POP is excluded. Definitive? IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII think not. Its an easy pass for me. This purchase is redundant.
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; December 3, 2012 at 02:53am.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Breaker View Post
    NA is not complete. POP is excluded. Definitive? IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII think not. Its an easy pass for me.
    I can understand feeling that way. And it would be cool to actually get all four series plus The Secret of the Sword and the Christmas Special all in one ultimate, all-inclusive set.

Heck, I would even be happy with a box set that was just the complete Filmation series of both He-Man and She-Ra (again including SOTS and the Christmas Special).

But the issue is that Classic Media is now distributing She-Ra on DVD, while Mill Creek has the distribution of all of the various He-Man series (I know that Classic Media now technically owns both Filmation series and NA, but their DVD distribution is probably a separate department/division of the company... regardless, the actual distribution is now split up for better or for worse).

But She-Ra did get her own 25th anniversary DVD set not too long ago, so her anniversary was at least recognized. I'm not sure if it's now out of print as I did some searching for it, and Best Buy seems to be out of stock on it and on Amazon only 3rd party sellers seem to have it. Deep Discount's site still has it, though, for $43 and some change.

As for the lack of inclusion of the full NA series, I'm of two minds about it. On the one hand, it does kind of stink, I understand people being disappointed by it, and it would be nice to see it included in full to at least have all 3 He-Man series in one complete set. But at the same time, it's always pretty much been the "redheaded step-child" of the overall He-Man/She-Ra mythos. I know the show has it's fans, and it does seem as if the fan community has embraced it more in recent years than in the past, but it still seems to be the incarnation that has the least interest compared to the rest. In some ways I'm surprised it was included at all... from what I recall, the BCI NA DVD sets didn't sell all that well (if I'm not mistaken I think they may have lost money on the second set, but I could be wrong on that). So I can see Mill Creek not being quick to release it. But still, they are a company built on budget releases and they are selling the full seasons of 80s MOTU for around the $10 range each, so it's not like simply dumping the NA episodes on a few discs would have over-extended them or anything.

This purchase is redundant.
    True for the most part. The new/exclusive content is few and far between. But wouldn't the set arguably be just as redundant, if not more so, if it did include the full run of NA and She-Ra? Anyone who already owns the previous releases would be buying them again anyway if they were included.

But, the value is in the eye of the beholder. Honestly with me already having almost all of the previous DVD releases, if this was any other series/property, I probably wouldn't have bought this set. But I've been near-completest with the He-Man and She-Ra DVDs (I say near because I'm sure I'm missing a few of those random volume releases that Mill Creek puts out, and I never was able to find and get the convention exclusive Mill Creek MOTU Season 2 set), and I'm such a fan that I couldn't pass this up.

But for anyone who doesn't need or care much about the exclusive content or the packaging, I can see this being an easy pass. Heck, on Amazon right now, you can buy the Mill Creek releases of 80s MOTU Seasons 1 & 2, and the complete series of 200X MOTU for $30 and some change... so anyone who doesn't already own these series can get the bulk of the content for a lot cheaper than either the $53.99 that I paid for this set, or the $89.99 preorder price for this set on Amazon. And they can probably hunt down the BCI NA sets for a decent price and still pay less than (or at least no more than) what this set will cost.

So, it's a toss up. I don't blame anyone for passing on it. Honestly the pre-order prices that I have been seeing online had me really thinking about whether or not it is worth it. But when I found it in a store and for A LOT less than any other price that I've seen, I went for it, and I don't regret it!
    Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; December 3, 2012 at 04:29pm.

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    In response to Ornclown, the NA episodes are (as listed in the episode guide book):
    Awesome! I have to say, that if they were to limit the number of NA episodes, then the one's that are included are some of the best!

Now I'm excited about the documentary!!

It may be a redundant purchase for most of us, but I think that the few extras that are present make it worthwhile. Especially if the pre-order price drops....

Thanks for the info Dynamo!
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

I Love Filmation Variants TUC138's Avatar
    AWESOME !

I got few questions for ya ! How about the quality of Sound tracks ? Are they in HQ format ? Can you tell me what that MOTU "alternate" version sound track is ?
    THE BIGGEST, BADDEST SUPPORTER OF VARIANTS IN MOTUC..... JUST BEHIND MGM THAT IS !!

MOTUC Mini Comics, Sub Exclusive Maps & Castle Grayskull Exclusive Posters FOR SALE !

Quote Originally Posted by TUC138 View Post
    AWESOME !

I got few questions for ya ! How about the quality of Sound tracks ? Are they in HQ format ? Can you tell me what that MOTU "alternate" version sound track is ?
    I only listened to it briefly last night. The quality seems rather good, but I don't know if they are in HQ format. I was listening to them in the bedroom on the PS3 through the speakers on the TV, so it wasn't exactly an optimal set up, but the quality seemed really good from what I can tell. I just skimmed through the tracks... I didn't listen to them in their entirely.

The "Alternate" theme is just the instrumental version of the theme song that was used over the ending credits (so no one is singing "He-Man" during it). Of course the versions included here are longer than the actual length of the credits on the show.

I have a question. The part with the fans showing why they are a fan, does it look like they show a good amount for each person's video or does it look like they just show little clips?
    Worlds Biggest Meteorb Fan!

I Love Filmation Variants TUC138's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    I only listened to it briefly last night. The quality seems rather good, but I don't know if they are in HQ format. I was listening to them in the bedroom on the PS3 through the speakers on the TV, so it wasn't exactly an optimal set up, but the quality seemed really good from what I can tell. I just skimmed through the tracks... I didn't listen to them in their entirely.

The "Alternate" theme is just the instrumental version of the theme song that was used over the ending credits (so no one is singing "He-Man" during it). Of course the versions included here are longer than the actual length of the credits on the show.
    GREAT ! Thanks for the quick response !!

I would love to buy that DVD set for the same price as yours ($53.99) !

As an International buyer, $89.99 + shipping will kill me !!
    THE BIGGEST, BADDEST SUPPORTER OF VARIANTS IN MOTUC..... JUST BEHIND MGM THAT IS !!

MOTUC Mini Comics, Sub Exclusive Maps & Castle Grayskull Exclusive Posters FOR SALE !

Quote Originally Posted by joseephus View Post
    I have a question. The part with the fans showing why they are a fan, does it look like they show a good amount for each person's video or does it look like they just show little clips?
    Its probably not people's full videos, but the fans do get a decent amount of screen time. If I have time later tonight, I will watch the documentary again and see if I can jot down the names of those shown. Then I'll post that info here using spoiler tags so anyone interested can see if their video or one made by someone they know was used.

Cool that you found it!

I actually have a copy that should arrive today at my house. Millcreek kindly sent me one seeing as I got to work on it some.

I'll post pics when I get home!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Okay, I rewatched the documentary. Unfortunately the names of the fans aren't usually specified. In the few cases when fans do state their name verbally (it's not written on the screen like with the Mattel employees), usually only the first name is stated. But, the info below in the spoiler tags will hopefully help identify a few people who contributed.

*Carla - I'm pretty sure this is the same Carla who has been on RGD a few times.

*Eric Delema (sp?)... the only instance of a last name being stated that I noticed.

*Kevin... he tells a story about how his grandmother got him some MOTU items for Christmas in 1983.

*A fan who appears to have filmed himself in front of a green screen and put himself inside of several of the classic playsets for his video.

*A fan who has a daughter named Lily who dressed as She-Ra last Halloween.

There are more people beyond those mentioned here, but these were the easiest to name and/or describe.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    Cool that you found it!

I actually have a copy that should arrive today at my house. Millcreek kindly sent me one seeing as I got to work on it some.

Awesome!
    Congrats on getting to work on it, and for getting it for free!

- - - Updated - - -

Further spoilers on the fan videos used in the documentary (much more info below):

Forum member Jukka sent me this link via PM:

http://www.millcreekent.com/news/MOTUFanVidWinners/

It's a Mill Creek news announcement of all of the winners who were picked to be included. He was asking if all of these were used, and in looking through the images, yes, they all look very familiar I am 99.9% certain that all of those were used. So, if you are amongst those pictured, congrats!

- - - Updated - - -

Whoa! I just checked Frys website! They have the 30th anniversary set in stock now available for shipping. It's $53.99, and they have a cheap shipping option for $1.99. There will probably be tax for anyone who lives in a state where a store is located.

EDIT/Update.... the listing is no longer showing up on Frys site. They must have caught the street date issue or something.
    Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; December 4, 2012 at 10:24pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    Millcreek kindly sent me one seeing as I got to work on it some.
    "some"....well aren't you mr.humble
    Please do!

Congrats to everyone who is on the fan documentary! I can't wait to check that out... now if I can just borrow someone's set.

And awesome job on the graphics and images, Mr. Nate! You rocked it, my man!

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Congrats to everyone who is on the fan documentary! I can't wait to check that out... now if I can just borrow someone's set.

And awesome job on the graphics and images, Mr. Nate! You rocked it, my man!
    Thank you sir!
    Wouldn't be where I am today with this stuff were it not for you're involving me just a little with the comic stuff back in the day. I'll never forget it!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw

I am curious if you take out the "selection of New Adventures discs" an put in the normal discs from the New Adventures Season sets will it still close good...
    Last edited by Replikor; December 6, 2012 at 04:20pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Replikor View Post
    I am curious if you take out the "selection of New Adventures discs" an put in the normal discs from the New Adventures Season sets will it still close good...
    I doubt it. It's a perfect fit for the number of disks it comes with.

Unless you maybe remove the CD?

Heroic Warrior
    I think it's kinda silly to include *some* NA eps. Either include all or none.

That being said, I won't be spending cash on this as I already have the BCI sets.

Also, why not put them on blu ray discs to reduce the amount of discs needed? Would make more sense.
    Last edited by Class316; December 10, 2012 at 04:01am.

Quote Originally Posted by Class316 View Post
    Also, why not put them on blu ray discs to reduce the amount of discs needed? Would make more sense.
    Not really. Blu-ray doesn't have the market saturation that DVD does, so they'd be alienating customers.

Not to mention I'm sure some people would see a blu-ray and assume He-Man has somehow been remastered in HD--you can't assume the entire potential buyer base has read the relevant articles on the internet--which would lead to irate customers and returned sets when they find out its in Standard Def.
    Visit my blog!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Not to mention I'm sure some people would see a blu-ray and assume He-Man has somehow been remastered in HD--you can't assume the entire potential buyer base has read the relevant articles on the internet--which would lead to irate customers and returned sets when they find out its in Standard Def.
    It could come with a warning saying they're NOT remastered.

All this set would probably fit in a handful of discs had it been on BR