Thread: Refunds

Heroic Warrior
    Caverns of Rakash (Formerly of Darksmoke)

Refunds

I just got a refund on my defective Snout Spout figure because they have none left to replace him and I only received $20.00, which is the price of the figure but not what I paid for shipping that figure.

Why is it that the consumer should eat the cost of shipping when a product is defective? This seem pretty ridiculous to me.

Did you send him back?

Its also unfair that if you aquire a figure by other means than directly from their website you get nothing back.
    Jii Dee regarding Matty's view on MOTUC Collectors: "Here be whiny surrender monkey dragons".

MOTUC NEEDS: Sssqueeze, Dragstor, Saurod, Blast Attack, & Lord Masque.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Saved View Post
    Its also unfair that if you aquire a figure by other means than directly from their website you get nothing back.
    What? No, not really. You should then get a refund from wherever or whomever you bought it from. I think you're being unfair.

As to paying for the shipping. Well it sucks, especially for people like me (international fans) which have to pay a lot more. So I never do returns, haven't needed to so far with matty though, but seeing the new rules they have about it I won't win either way.
    Fabulous secret powers revealed

master of hiphop
    Yeah i'm on the fence about this.... with Snout they all have issues or they eventually will because of the materials that were used for the trunk. So returning to get another one will only create the same issue to happen down the line.. so to me it's a lose lose situation.

i understand getting your money back.. agreed.. but getting a new figure to replace it will only get you the same demise.

I've come to the conclusion that these types of issues are not selective but being the materials that were used, seems to be a much wider issue.

my 2 cents.

P>S Yes you should have gotten your shipping back as well. they should refund everything.. something like this is not the customers problem.
    Download!! 25% goes to help the ORG!!!!!
    http://theimpressionistz.bandcamp.co...ame-back-clean
    AGE FEEDBACK: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=128035
    album photos lots more to come: check out my profile
    my want list: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=148549
    Collection PICS:http://www.crazycollectors.de/age.html

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Yeah, because most ebay sellers are going to allow returns. They sell the product to you, they pay the ebay and paypal fees, and then having to have you ship it back to them, they ship it back to Matty, pay for shipping on that, and then not even get a shipping refund themselves is way too much of a hassle. Plus, you have to hope they don't just decide to not refund you for one of the figures returned (which they did to me with Starman, they refunded Rocket Red but not him).
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

So I can sell my defective MOTUC figures to people and when they complain to me ill be off the hook because ill tell them to contact Matty?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    Did you send him back?
    No, they didn't require me to return him as I am an international customer, but I still paid international fees to have him shipped to me in the first place and I think I should be compensated for that too.

They made me send back Spikor with his goofy eyes - I am international (Canada)

Quote Originally Posted by Draego-Man View Post
    No, they didn't require me to return him as I am an international customer, but I still paid international fees to have him shipped to me in the first place and I think I should be compensated for that too.
    COMPLETE THE COLLECTION !

MY Feedback Thread : http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=191572

Quote Originally Posted by Draego-Man View Post
    Actually, since the beginning of this year international customers are required to send back defected figures and those shipping costs are not refunded.

... or that CS manager just flat out lied to me when I wanted to exchange my Shadow Weaver with off-centered eyes.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

I believe it's a pretty common practice for businesses to not refund shipping costs, only the cost of the item. I used to work in retail at a clothing store and we would accept returns for online purchases and would refund the price of the items, but not the shipping.

I'm not saying it's right, and I'm not saying that Matty isn't a different situation (being online only), but I'm pretty sure that is the normal practice.

Quote Originally Posted by wayneepoo View Post
    I believe it's a pretty common practice for businesses to not refund shipping costs, only the cost of the item. I used to work in retail at a clothing store and we would accept returns for online purchases and would refund the price of the items, but not the shipping.

I'm not saying it's right, and I'm not saying that Matty isn't a different situation (being online only), but I'm pretty sure that is the normal practice.
    I think so too. I bought something on ebay that was defective and was refunded my cost for the item itself--but not the shipping. I think once you open the package they consider the service as rendered--no refund?

Lots of companies don't refund shipping. Doesn't mean it sucks any less... just saying it's not a Matty thing in particular.

You got to keep the figure? Not a bad tradeoff IMO... again... just an opinion.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wayneepoo View Post
    Not all etailers do that. When I had to exchange my Sorceress in a Fisto box for an actual Fisto, BBTS sent me pre-paid postage to stick on the package for return (and I didn't even have to ask them to). I paid for neither the return or the postage for the replacement. And, technically, it was Mattel's packaging foul-up, which was no fault of theirs.

Some places do still have some notion of the concept of customer service others could learn from. I pay more getting these figures from Big Bad, but actual service is worth it to me.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Most online retailers that I've dealt with do refund the shipping if there is a problem/defect with the item, itself.

They may not refund the shipping and/or will make you pay the return shipping if you bought the item and then decide that you simply no longer want it, but that I can understand.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    Actually, since the beginning of this year international customers are required to send back defected figures and those shipping costs are not refunded.

... or that CS manager just flat out lied to me when I wanted to exchange my Shadow Weaver with off-centered eyes.
    Well they didn't make me send Snout Spout back.

I guess not a bad trade off as I'm going to try and glue the trunk since it cracked right at the base... but it is still a defective item and I shouldn't have to pay for shipping me something with a defect.

I contrast this with IKEA... I ordered a mattress from them... terrible service by the way, they delivered it to someone in California and I live in Canada... anyway they then shipped another matress and it showed up with a stain on it, now they are aranging to pick that up and send me a new matress. Third time better be a charm! But anyway, they are paying for all the shipping because it is all their fault.

The mattress was defective, the figure was defective. Both are huge corporations. One shows responsibility, the other does not. Just sayin'.
    Last edited by Draego-Man; September 21, 2012 at 08:01pm.

That's like comparing mattresses to action figures.

Heroic Warrior
    If you sent it back... i'd probably agree with you. However, if you get to keep the figure for only the cost of shipping, that doesn't feel like you got TOO screwed over. You got the money AND the toy...

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    If you sent it back... i'd probably agree with you. However, if you get to keep the figure for only the cost of shipping, that doesn't feel like you got TOO screwed over. You got the money AND the toy...
    I got the money for the broken, defective figure that I now have to attempt to fix. I paid $10 in shipping which I will never see. They explicitly told me NOT to send the figure back. I didn't plead or even mention not wanting to send it back, they just told me to keep it so I'm not going to spend even more money to send it back... which they also wouldn't reimburse me for. Either way, they should return the original shipping money too. You just can't justify it.

Yes, action figures and mattresses... you mean you don't tuck yours into bed each night? How rude!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Haradrel View Post
    What? No, not really. You should then get a refund from wherever or whomever you bought it from. I think you're being unfair.
    Nope, sorry, not true or right.

If someone buys a sealed MOTUC figure and it turns out defective, it is not the sellers fault. Mattel made the defective figure, not the seller. Why should someone who sold a product in good faith be penalized because of Mattel's shoddy craftmanship?

Because of large retail and online giants (like Amazon or Wal-mart) we have become accustomed to very lax return policies. Technically, they don't have to refund/trade/replace any product that has a manufacturer defect, they do so because it's easier to eat the loss and have the customer satisfaction. They can afford it, basically - because of the volume they do, it's worth more to do so. But you can hardly expect someone on eBay or an independent seller to take a loss for an item like that through no fault of their own.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by EtherianChronicles View Post

If someone buys a sealed MOTUC figure and it turns out defective, it is not the sellers fault. Mattel made the defective figure, not the seller. Why should someone who sold a product in good faith be penalized because of Mattel's shoddy craftmanship?

Because of large retail and online giants (like Amazon or Wal-mart) we have become accustomed to very lax return policies. Technically, they don't have to refund/trade/replace any product that has a manufacturer defect, they do so because it's easier to eat the loss and have the customer satisfaction. They can afford it, basically - because of the volume they do, it's worth more to do so. But you can hardly expect someone on eBay or an independent seller to take a loss for an item like that through no fault of their own.
    Sounds like Bob364 on Ebay gets a free pass then... If there is black plastic showing or broken noses or something that they can SEE... then what right do they have to sell it?

Why does Mattel get raked over the coals for selling shoddy toys, but resellers don't? Like you said... if I buy a toy from Target, and it's crap... I take it back to Target. THAT'S who got MY money... If someone advertises a MOC figure... then it should CERTAINLY be MOC.

Granted I also believe in good faith. That seller can't tell if the ankles are loose, or the crotch explodes 6 months from now... but we haven't been HAVING those kind of problems in some time. The stuff we have now SHOULD be seen from the package. There should be pictures... and they should stand by what they choose sell.

Otherwise... You will get people like Drageo there who has a broken toy... Doesn't want to deal with Matty CS, and he can just sell it and let YOU deal with the return hassels.

That's garbage. if YOU sell it... you have to stand by it. Same as we expect when we buy from Matty direct.

Add in the fact that most resellers get a bit of a mark up on these things...

On the same note.. how many times is the figure allowed to change hands? If I sell it Etherian... and he sells it to Draego... then he needs to talk to Etherian. It was fine when "I" saw it last.
    Last edited by phantom1592; September 22, 2012 at 01:02am.

Heroic Warrior
    Sounds like on Ebay gets a free pass then... If there is black plastic showing or broken noses or something that they can SEE... then what right do they have to sell it?
    Um, most figures are sold sealed in their white mailers. There is no way for someone to know what is inside without opening them, and most of us won't buy open ones.

Why does Mattel get raked over the coals for selling shoddy toys, but resellers don't?
    Because Mattel made the toys.

Like you said... if I buy a toy from Target, and it's crap... I take it back to Target.
    Because Target is a multinational corporation that has decided to take items back even though they are not fault because they can write it off or get other compensation for it, and they do it so you have loyalty to their store/brand.

Technically, they don't have to do anything but refer you to the manufacturer - in the old days, this is pretty much what they did. But since Wal-mart came about on every corner, a company that can afford to use $100 bills as toilet paper - they compete for your business by having return policies that are much more lenient than they need to be. Amazon trounces other online retailers because of their exceptional policies - they want you to only buy from them, so they do everything they can to accommodate you.

I don't expect this of someone who sells me a sealed box on eBay.

That's garbage. if YOU sell it... you have to stand by it. Same as we expect when we buy from Matty direct.

Add in the fact that most resellers get a bit of a mark up on these things...
    Gee, someone marking something up? Duh. Why else would they be selling it?

In any case, most figures I see, once you account for shipping and eBay/PayPal fees/etc., barely break even.

Regardless, you cannot argue logic with someone who is all bent out of shape and feels like a "wronged" consumer - and frankly, I really don't care, LOL, so I don't know why I replied in the first place. Much bigger fish to fry around here. My mistake.

Heroic Warrior
    Um, most figures are sold sealed in their white mailers. There is no way for someone to know what is inside without opening them, and most of us won't buy open ones.

REALLY?!?!?!

I admit... I have NEVER bought from an Ebayer without having seen a picture of the figure. That white mailer box is meant to protect the figure... NOT make it a random grab bag!

Nor have I ever SOLD a figure without first opening and taking a few pictures first. I try to describe my auctions very carefully, and answer any questions people have...

I suppose if someone posts a picture of a white box, and says 'i never opened it'... then I suppose he really ISN'T liable for what it may look when its done. I'm not even sure you COULD go to Ebay with a complaint if the item you recieve is exactly as he described it...

But I protect my 5 star very carefully... I wouldn't resell a figure that wasn't in a condition I would want to keep.

Heroic Warrior
    Actually it is true and right.

Because they need to make sure that the thing they are selling is in top condition. Production faults happens everywhere. You wouldn't go to the car company if you got sold a car by some random dude that broke down immediately after you bought it now would you?

A refund:
    A money-back guarantee, also known as a "satisfaction guarantee" is essentially a simple guarantee that, if a buyer is not satisfied with a product or service, a refund will be made.
    The money-back guarantee was a major tool of early U.S. mail order sales pioneers in the United States such as Richard Sears and Powel Crosley Jr. to win the confidence of consumers.
    Many guarantees by sellers often fall outside the allowed scope of their merchant agreements with their banks. For example, Visa and Mastercard explicitly bar the seller from offering a money back guarantee past 90 days from purchase.

As far as I know, Matty has never offered a 100% full refund guarantee. If so, please find the direct wording they used as I think you are completely misconstruing the refund text here.
    I have never seen "If you don't like our product we give a 100% money back refund guarantee" or anything even remotely similar. Basically you are mixing apples and oranges here, comparing walmart and amazon to matty is just ridiculous.

So again, no you would be very wrong, businesses doesn't even have to offer a refund at all for defective product. But in the spirit of keeping their consumers happy most do, and the variations of why and how vary incredibly much depending on the wording of how they go about it.

As for sellers selling figures in white mailer boxes - WHAT? I would never buy from someone like that, and no it's not common practice at all - they have to make sure that what they are selling is in fact the product in the picture. If I go on ebay I find the sellers who actually write that they are picking the best of the figures to sell with the best paintjobs (yes there are those who do that) and thus far I have never been let down.
    Fabulous secret powers revealed