Thread: Filmation Hordak & Horde Prime Customs

Filmation Hordak & Horde Prime Customs

A couple related customs, so I figured I'd put them together....

Filmation Hordak
    More pics HERE (Pics of Imp, more of the arm canon & WIP pics...)

Made from a MAA buck left over from my Filmation MAA custom, which used a custom detailed Palace Guard buck to achieve the look, leaving the Classics MAA buck for parts.
    I made a new armband for his right arm, and custom sculpted the Classics Hordak head into the new Filmation version, also, obviously using the armor, cowl & boots from Hordak as well.
    Cutting the cape from the cowl allowed me to use the softer plastic for my sculpting purposes giving the head that feel as if it was originally sculpted that way, as well as being flexible
    enough for the armband, and to repair the cowl after removing the cape.

The paint is actually a more bluish green than the pics show, there was no flash, but still the lighting made him turn out more blue.

A custom piece that slides over the forearm, and allows for the attachments to pop into the wrist peg hole, giving the appearance of a semi accurate cannon and claw to attach.
    The cannon used to be the Trap Jaw Axe from the Weapon Pack, but I cut the ave off, and drilled out a hole to make it a cannon tip. Also the claw is the Trap Jaw colored Roboto
    Claw from the same Weapon Pack, just painted back to silver.

Horde Prime

Just a basic repaint, giving him the missing grey details the Horsemen intended, and a complete upper cape repaint because all of the black and gray paint peeled right off....yes, peeled off.
    Also the head was detailed, and repainted to remove some red from it. He has the MAA 200X Power Sword repainted into the Blade of Despondos (so I call it), which I repainted into HP's color Scheme, also he now has Hordak's staff.

I also separated his solid one piece loin armor into the 3 separate pieces that it should have been, it's hard to notice in the pics, but you can see it a little.

Filmation MAA Custom
    Dragstor Custom
    Battle Armor Faker Custom
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; December 14, 2012 at 01:30pm.
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Amazing work! Love the idea of the "Blade of Despondos"!

Thanks

Horde Prime was so Accessory and paint barren, I had to do something, I never cared for the 200X Power Sword, and I used my MAA figure parts & acc's to make Filmation MAA & This Filmation Hordak, so the sword had no reason to stay mint, and I thought in HP's colors, it would look cool as an evil sword, and since HP had tech on his suit, the sword fit. And with flat & gloss black with red, it came out really nice, and looked as if it had always belonged to HP & the Horde. And also since I didn't need Hordak's staff for the Filmation version, and I won't be opening the new weapon pack, Hordak donated his staff to his big brother.
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Love what you did with the canon arm on Hordak! So that piece fits right over his hand? Super cool - show us some pics of that please

Snappy Threader
    Awesome Hordak.......

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    Love what you did with the canon arm on Hordak! So that piece fits right over his hand? Super cool - show us some pics of that please
    A vid of how the attachments work....

My first demonstration vid, so forgive the dialog....I was making it up as I went along....

Final & WIP pics....

Last edited by shadowfall1976; September 25, 2012 at 08:57pm.
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Wow! That's so detailed - terrific work and execution!

Terrific Job, I just tried out my first custom today using Skeletor and Hurricane Hordak, with original Hordak armor and Kevin Kosse Hordak Head. Took me forever to stop being scared to use the boil and pop method thanks to Phil Naval. But after I did it took me all of 20 minutes to do this. Now I am scared of how to paint him, as I do not know if I should use brush or air brush, acrylic or something else. What did you use for that magnificent Blue.
    My First MOTUC Custom.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Justice View Post
    Terrific Job, I just tried out my first custom today using Skeletor and Hurricane Hordak, with original Hordak armor and Kevin Kosse Hordak Head. Took me forever to stop being scared to use the boil and pop method thanks to Phil Naval. But after I did it took me all of 20 minutes to do this. Now I am scared of how to paint him, as I do not know if I should use brush or air brush, acrylic or something else. What did you use for that magnificent Blue.
    My First MOTUC Custom.jpg
    Nice....good luck on it, I'd love to see it finished.

You have to sand the joints down so they don't rub before anything. Once that's done and nothing rubs lightly sand the whole figure, every part you intend to paint. Then you can brush paint the figure, that's how I did it....But make sure the paint is dried for a while a couple of days before you boil the parts to put them back together, my problem is patience, and I had touch-up to do....so let the paint cure first.

I don't have an airbrush, but drybrushing works wonders instead of heavy coats. Also the alcohol helps the acrylic dry better, and acrylics are best for these figures, enamels stay tacky on softer plastic and rubbers, acrylics dry nicely and tack free.

I also cracked the chest apart taking the shoulders out of sockets too, but so long as you sand the shoulder pivots all the way around, the paint will stick, same as all the other joints, wherever you think something will rub, sand it.

My slide on canon is based on the Hurricane Hordak canon, and Emilianos design....I didn't have the option of swappable arms, so I went with the next best thing, this way too, I can give him a claw as well as anything else I wanted to attach to his hand socket.

And if I may make a suggestion since you have to paint anyway....swap the forearms so you have the Hordak glove top on the Skeletor hand & bicep. Just a suggestion, if you prefer it the way you have it, that works.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    Wow! That's so detailed - terrific work and execution!
    Thanks, out of all my Transformers customs and the few MOTUC I've done and sold....this Hordak happens to be my favorite, and it was done for my collection, that makes it even better .
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Really awesome! The caster in me really wants to get hold of those custom sculpted pieces for repro!

What paint did you use to get the color for him? I love the blue you chose.

Court Magician
    That hordak is just unreal!

Always Lurking Around Son of Keldor's Avatar
    Nicely done.

I like the more prominent jaw for Hordak.

=)
    Can I get a "Hell Yeah" for Scorpia!!!

My Trader Feedback thread:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eldor+feedback

I was never a POP fan, only because I never watched the show, and never had dolls in my collection....but, I always liked how Hordak looked and being doubtful they'd ever get to him in Classics, donning his FIlmation look....I had to make him.

Quote Originally Posted by Keldor5579 View Post
    What paint did you use to get the color for him? I love the blue you chose.
    It's actually a custom mix, some darkened for a base coat, and another for the main coats, then lightened for highlights.

It's all Testors paint....basic blue paint, some light purple, a very little red, and yellow, and some flat army camo like green. Mostly the blue base with little of the other colors mixed in until the shade is reached, then white to make it lighter blue. It took me a while to get the mix right for the shade I wanted....

But as hard as I thought Hordak was, getting my WIP Dragstor the right shade of Blueish Purple I wanted was tricky, and took a few coats of 2 different mixed custom colors and basic blue....but I love the way he turned out, now to finish him.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman View Post
    Really awesome! The caster in me really wants to get hold of those custom sculpted pieces for repro!
    Quote Originally Posted by nintendo2600 View Post
    That hordak is just unreal!
    Quote Originally Posted by Son of Keldor View Post
    Nicely done.

I like the more prominent jaw for Hordak.

=)
    Thanks, it took a lot of work to get the head just right, and was really my first attempt at re-sculpting something as intricate as a face....It was nice finally seeing Hordak done, he is my favorite custom, I have ever produced.
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

This is awesome and I think you should be very proud of the great job you did
    MOST WANTED MOTUC FIGURES : MELAKTHA MADAME RAZZ FILMATION HORDAK PEEKABLUE MERMISTA QUEEN ANGELLA LIZARD MAN PERFUMA EVILSEED DREE ELLE VULTAK
    HUNGA SWEETBEE RED KNIGHT GENERAL SUNDAR GWILDOR SAUROD LOO-KEE FLUTTERINA SPINERELLA CATRA CAT FORM FILMATION SKELETOR

Ya know, I really want a Filmation Hordak. Its the one variant that should be released, and so far has not been. I've held off getting the 2 current releases because I want this version.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Breaker View Post
    Ya know, I really want a Filmation Hordak. Its the one variant that should be released, and so far has not been. I've held off getting the 2 current releases because I want this version.
    I agree, and that's why I made this one, although I did like the Hurricane Hordak, so I got him, but the original I passed on collection wise, only bought it to use it for parts (armor, boots, arm band, Imp, cowl and head) for my custom, his buck went to my Dragstor WIP, and his staff went to my Horde Prime Custom. I hate having unused parts....and since I opened most of my collection, I now have a spare TP He-Man to use for something....just don't know what yet.

Filmation MAA Custom
    Dragstor Custom
    Battle Armor Faker Custom
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; December 14, 2012 at 01:29pm.
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    blue imp. I'm so doing that when I get another. been planning that since the first release of hordak. but dont want to pay for another figure though.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

Quote Originally Posted by kylun flac View Post
    blue imp. I'm so doing that when I get another. been planning that since the first release of hordak. but dont want to pay for another figure though.
    He was an after thought after I finished Hordak....I went to put him in his package for pics, and I looked and something was missing....I needed to paint Imp....so I did....and he turned out nice. I wish there was room to have painted his black shirt, but I am happy with how he turned out.

He does look better blue instead of red to me.

And as far as buying another figure myself....I had painted the MAA buck I planned to make into Hordak already, but it took me a few months to get the Classics Hordak I needed for the rest of the parts, but his buck went to good use....Classics Hordak became my Dragstor. I swapped the MAA boot tops & Hordak long furries to Khan, and the Khan briefs & shins and MAA boot feet went to Dragstor....so I recycled pretty much all my parts.

By the way Khan looks really cool with the Reptile feet and furry boot tops, and actually cool with the long loin cloth....I plan to paint him maybe gray later and make another generic Snake Man.
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor