Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Future Playsets! (Snake Mountain, Fright Zone, Crystal Castle, Slime Pit, etc.)

Heroic Warrior
    Caverns of Rakash (Formerly of Darksmoke)

Future Playsets! (Snake Mountain, Fright Zone, Crystal Castle, Slime Pit, etc.)

With Castle Grayskull not on its way, does this pave the way for other playsets? I sure hope so!!

Discuss.

I can't see Mattel making a vintage-styled Crystal Castle because it was basically a doll house. Which works out fine, since I don't want a vintage-style Crystal Castle.

If they make a Filmation-style Crystal Castle, though, it wouldn't really be a playset by virtue of the fact that it's much taller than it is wide. Nothing would fit inside.

I think this Castle Greyskull thing is a one-time deal. It's the one playset they feel fans will completely support, so even if it's a huge success, I doubt it will convince them to try a CC. Sadly.

Why is there no 'support castle grayskull preorder' on the main page? In fact, there are no grayskull threads at all!
    Making sure the vintage line is fully reproduced in the classics line

Positive trades; Nightcraw

I'd actually be MORE interested in Fright Zone, Snake Mountain, Crystal Castle, or Eternia playsets, but CG is a nice start. I'd support any of the others made as well, but won't get my hopes up yet.

Quote Originally Posted by wayneepoo View Post
    I'd actually be MORE interested in Fright Zone, Snake Mountain, Crystal Castle, or Eternia playsets, but CG is a nice start. I'd support any of the others made as well, but won't get my hopes up yet.
    I feel the same way, too. How cool would it be to get a Filmation Fright Zone?

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    i would love to have snake mountain!
    as a kid I felt cheated since the play-set didn't resemble snake mountain from the cartoon.
    I really want a snake mountain like the one seen in Filmation or in MYP.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

I'd be down for an updated slime pit, maybe with additional chains and shackles. Besides, don't some retail stores still sell slime for kids from random companies in the dollar section?

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    the slime pit would be awesome too!
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

I'd love to get them all, but am prepared to settle with Grayskull. Perhaps convention packaging that could "recreate" some, akin to the Stay Puft packaging... I'd love a Lighthope diorama.

After Grayskull, I think that Point Dread eould be great. If we only got one other, I'd want Snake Mountain-styled like the DC Versus artwork.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTU Minis 2015!!!

Snappy Threader
    I hope people really get behind Castle Grayskull so we have a chance to get a new Snake Mountain.....

Quote Originally Posted by kylun flac View Post
    the slime pit would be awesome too!
    I agree, a MOTUC slime pit would be a easy must buy for me. possibly two just to have one MOC in box...

.... lol, an I must admit having some extra slime would be cool too. lol.

Widget

Future Playsets!

Now with Grayskull green lit, it got me thinking of the other playsets. I think Snake Mountain is a must in 2014, but I really think The Fright Zone would be easy to do( and relatively cheap) it could include The Slime Pit as an add on! Think of how awesome the monster and the tree would look designed by the 4 horse men! But the biggest of all playset Eternia could be done.... Think of each tower as a separate play set, it could be sold over 3 years, first Central Tower and some monorail pieces and one car for 350 ish, then the following year Viper tower for 200 and its jail car, then Grayskull tower and its car the next year for 200.00. I think thats very feasible. What do you think? Would you buy it?

I'm not sure there's enough interest in Fright Zone. There's definitely not enough for an $850 Eternia playset! You have to remember that Grayskull won partially because of it's iconic position in pop culture and in the MOTU Universe. It is the central subject of conflict for the entire series, and integral to the main story of He-Man. Not one of the vintage playsets has been as exciting or fun as the original CG, so I doubt the other playsets will garner enough nostalgic interest to warrant production. I'd love to be proven wrong of course!
    I do think we could squeak in a Snake Mountain, but it would depend heavily on the proposed design, and the price would have to stay around the $200-250 range.

I tell you what I would like to see though, and I think it's a touch more doable. Instead of full-on playsets, how about diorama scenes, like the Eternos Throne Room or Skeletor's Throne Room? Or a battleground near Rakesh? Whispering Woods? Something that encompasses around five figures for play, and comes in around $80.
    Last edited by Customikey; November 14, 2012 at 09:36am.

Nope. I'm content with just my classcs Castle Grayskull.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Quote Originally Posted by Customikey View Post
    I tell you what I would like to see though, and I think it's a touch more doable. Instead of full-on playsets, how about diorama scenes, like the Eternos Throne Room or Skeletor's Throne Room?
    Now those would be a personal dream come true for me!
    chikarapro.com Loco Lucha Libre!!!

i love the idea of a filmation eternos throne room or skeletors main room.
    all going well with CG i would love a snake mountain. i always loved it the most. although i am not sure what i would like it to look like, the filmation one is classic but has little in the way of display areas or play features, the playset was cool. i do not like the 200X at all but the updated on on the DC MOTUC box was kinda cool. if we do get a frightzone i want if filmation all the way

Skeletors throne room would rock. I want a slime pit with He Man muck monster. Eternia? pass. No room or real desire. If it is only ever Grayskull though, I am good.
    Find what you seek only when you look in the right places...

I'm not sure there's enough interest in Fright Zone. There's definitely not enough for an $850 Eternia playset! You have to remember that Grayskull won partially because of it's iconic position in pop culture and in the MOTU Universe. It is the central subject of conflict for the entire series, and integral to the main story of He-Man. Not one of the vintage playsets has been as exciting or fun as the original CG, so I doubt the other playsets will garner enough nostalgic interest to warrant production. I'd love to be proven wrong of course!
    I do think we could squeak in a Snake Mountain, but it would depend heavily on the proposed design, and the price would have to stay around the $200-250 range.

I tell you what I would like to see though, and I think it's a touch more doable. Instead of full-on playsets, how about diorama scenes, like the Eternos Throne Room or Skeletor's Throne Room? Or a battleground near Rakesh? Whispering Woods? Something that encompasses around five figures for play, and comes in around $80.
    Judging from this poll there might be more interest in a filmation styled fright zone then anything other then snake mountain. http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...Future-Playset

I'm pretty sure I read a comment from TG that a filmation inspired Snake Mountain was next on the docket after Grayskull though. (and count me in on that!)

I don't need Eternia.

Snake Mountain in 2014
    Fright Zone (NOT TOY VERSION...FILMATION VERSION) in 2015
    Slime Pit (With add-on ability to the Fright Zone) in 2016

Battle Ram in 2014
    Point Dread/Talon Fighter and Roton in 2015
    Land Shark and Attak Trak in 2016

After Castle Grayskull the most iconic and needed playset is Snake Mountain. If a MOTUC Snake Mountain better reflected either the Filmation or MYP design I think it would have a chance of successful pre-order.

After that I think Slime Pit might garner enough support, possibly followed by Point Dread with Talon Fighter.

I think we would be exceptionally lucky to get both Castle Grayskull and Snake Mountain in the current climate - and IMO we should put our efforts and energy to achieving that.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

I ordered a Castle Grayskull, and I would order a Snake Mountain for the same price or even a bit higher. Snake Mountain was always my favourite.

Widget
    A whispering woods would be really cool, I never even thought of that. It could have an action feature of a plant that traps/ keeps figures out. Much like the figures of the Pop line I was bummed by the crystal castle design as a kid looking nothing like the filmation one. I would want nothing more than a facade of it though.

The only other one I would want would be a Filmation/MYP Snake Mountain.
    And it better come with Skeletor's throne of bones.
    Though a Filmation Fright Zone would rock as well. Not like the vintage Wizard of Oz version, personally not a fan.

And maybe a few diorama pieces (like the weapons rack).
    Kind Randor & Queen Marlena's thrones.
    Zodac's chair.
    Zodak's yoga studio.

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar

I think (a Filmation-inspired, with influences from 200X and vintage) Snake Mountain and (a never-released-before) Eternos Palace are must-haves. Snake Mountain would definitely be a big-ticket SKU in the $250-to-$300 ballpark, like CG. But a Filmation-inspired Eternos Palace could be made with a much more limited budget due to it's geometrical symmetry, which lends itself to modularization and therefore to smaller reusable tools. They could sell collect-and-connect octants or quadrants of the Palace structure for something in the $100-$120 ballpark, and people with bigger budgets and/or display spaces could buy multiples to connect together into a one-half, three-quarters or full-circle Palace. The interior props of the Palace (such as the Throne Room furniture and Orko's bed) I think should be made available separately as diorama pieces to be placed inside the structure or displayed on their own, just like the Weapons Rack.

As for Whispering Woods, it's the safe haven and center of operations of the Great Rebellion, and therefore I think it's an essential PoP playset (and, like Eternos Palace, one that is yet to see any kind of release), so I'm all for it. Like the Palace, the Woods also readily lends itself to modularization and therefore to cheaper production costs. A few days ago I had the idea that they could make a Whispering Woods "forest-builder" module composed of a few of those pinkish "cotton candy" bushes and one or two of those bluish trees (the trunk could be a rotocast, and itself modularized into small-tool stackable pieces, allowing assembly into trees of different heights), and then some squarish "forest ground" interconnectable pieces similar to the CG and SM stands. Then, as an incentive they could include one or several of the PoP "little guy" figures with each "forest-builder" module: Loo-Kee, Imp, the kowls (Filmation Kowl, vintage Kowl, Kowla and Red Eye), the twiggets (Sprag, Sprocker, Spritina...) and the bibbets. For example, an $80 Whispering Woods "forest builder" could include a pair of trees (of different girths), three or four differently-sized pink bushes, a pair of flowers/plants, a few ground pieces, and a couple of "little guys" (the selection of which would create chase variants: e.g., Loo-Kee and Red Eye, Imp and Spritina, Filmation Kowl and bibbet, Sprag and Kowla, Sprocker and vintage Kowl, ...). People who collected all the chase variants would then be able to assemble an amazing Whispering Woods of around a dozen trees, and get all the PoP little guys as a bonus.

Last edited by uaxuctum; November 15, 2012 at 05:40am.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

I would love all of these. I'd totally save up to buy the three towers.

Here's the problem I see with Snake Mountain - it's a mountain. MOTUC Castle Grayskull is huge and beautiful. Even at that size it isn't really to true scale, and that's fine. If it were truly to scale it would be probably about 4 feet tall. But the slight cheat on scale looks amazing.

I don't think anyone's expecting a Filmation SM to be to scale, but the Head of the Snake is nearly as large as Castle Grayskull. If Snake Mountain were to be close to scale with the MOTUC Grayskull it would be taller than my apartment complex. I don't think any of us have an acre lot to store it in.

There was a lot of talk about He-Man fitting through the drawbridge. If an entrance to Snake Mountain existed, it would be 1/4 of the height of the mountain. Picture a doorway that is 1/4 the height of Snake Mountain.

So, a minature of Filmation Snake Mountain I would love, but a playset seems unrealistic. It would have to be ten times the size of Grayskull to even make sense.

But that's just my opinion.