Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Mattel: Frosta's arms incorrect. Sub holders get a free gift apology item.

Keyboard Warrior The Blue Beetle's Avatar
    I'll wait to see what I think of Frosta once I've actually got her in-hand, but I may end up selling her at my local comic shop, the same way I did the Star Sisters. Which also means there's a good chance I'll sell Netossa as well, regardless of how she turns out, simply because I have a whole lack of POP on my shelf.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Stygian360 View Post
    Based on your rather verbose exegesis-like response EC... I find this comment rather dubious.
    ROFL, I know - and I only replied to half of what was being picked apart.

The reason I didn't feel the need to reply to every sentence in turn was because...

Quote Originally Posted by Stygian360 View Post
    Agreed-- ^ Comparing mass produced toys with automobiles, which go through very strict and rigorous safety testing and must adhere to standards the toy industry would balk at, is frankly like comparing apples to dragons.
    ...of the jumble and irrelevant arguments going on, like you are noting above where people are arguing things that have become so mutated as to be nothing to do with the point.

I was the one who made a car reference, and it had nothing to do with manufacture or any such comparison (though I think you would be surprised how many safety standards toy companies in particular are responsible for, they are irrelevant here).

What I said was:

1) Some people say, "This doesn't matter, it's minor, it's not a big deal". Just like someone might say about a small scratch in a car.

2) When the car collects all kinds of scratches, all those little scratches add up to a larger problem, because while on their own they are "just a scratch", together they add up to some real visible damage.

That's how I compare it to this line. This line is like a scratched up car. If this stuff didn't happen with alarming regularity, yes, it would just be a "minor" issue. But when the little dings just keep happening, over and over, it's going to try just about anyone's patience and most can't help but see the scratched car for what it is, in spite of the fact it's all made up of "just a scratch".

Quote Originally Posted by EtherianChronicles View Post
    ...of the jumble and irrelevant arguments going on, like you are noting above where people are arguing things that have become so mutated as to be nothing to do with the point.

I was the one who made a car reference, and it had nothing to do with manufacture or any such comparison (though I think you would be surprised how many safety standards toy companies in particular are responsible for, they are irrelevant here).

What I said was:

1) Some people say, "This doesn't matter, it's minor, it's not a big deal". Just like someone might say about a small scratch in a car.

2) When the car collects all kinds of scratches, all those little scratches add up to a larger problem, because while on their own they are "just a scratch", together they add up to some real visible damage.

That's how I compare it to this line. This line is like a scratched up car. If this stuff didn't happen with alarming regularity, yes, it would just be a "minor" issue. But when the little dings just keep happening, over and over, it's going to try just about anyone's patience and most can't help but see the scratched car for what it is, in spite of the fact it's all made up of "just a scratch".
    Not sure if you saw it in all the essays produced to argue about arguing by Haradrel but the example we were discussing was Haradrel's counter example to your car analogy (see below) where he claims car companies can make mistakes and never repair range wide faults

Quote Originally Posted by Haradrel View Post
    Okay since you like examples set in real life here's one:
    Toyota makes a card with a faulty blinker, no biggie - but you have to change it earlier then the other one. They say they have looked into it and with that model it won't happen again. Next model arrives, same problem. Seeing as it is the next model this time, there were new workers there who did not know that they shouldn't use the old parts. Having been trained to work on that model the note about "don't use this blinker" got lost in the wave of information they had to assimilate.
    because its ludicrous, your example is a fair one about build up of minor damage equaling a bigger problem and we were backing you up

The worst part about this is that I'm getting used to the females having issues in this line. I've had to alter every single female released thus far. I guess I can add Frosta to that list as well. Here's hoping Netossa and Octavia fare better.

Quote Originally Posted by eurorko View Post
    The worst part about this is that I'm getting used to the females having issues in this line. I've had to alter every single female released thus far. I guess I can add Frosta to that list as well. Here's hoping Netossa and Octavia fare better.
    i would not hold my breath on that one lol get your customising skills ready!

the King needs his Queen and pet! Queen Veena and Battle Lion for MOTUC!

For the Love of Illumina & her Cat Sleetah!!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/156251727799742/
    my Feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205099
    my sale page http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205041

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Sorceress View Post
    i would not hold my breath on that one lol get your customising skills ready!
    My fear with Octavia is that the tentacles won't all be interchangable, and we can end up with tentacle 1, 1, 3, 4, or 1, 2, 4, 4...

I keep crossing my fingers that doesn't happen.

i dont think the factories back in the 80's screwed up so many times with arms or legs?

whats the deal now? must be people under 15 working in these factories?
    Don't hate me cause ... (I'm Da Man)!

Carlo Hooks you up thread, just click HERE!

As far as I am concerned, this is a bonus to all of us. The female arm swap is the easiest of all of the home remedies for Mattel foul ups. I've already fixed all of my females, Teela, Evil Lyn etc. Just a little hair dryer and pop, the arms are switched and she's perfect. And we get a free gift on top of this? Score!

Free set of Ginsu Knives......enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    i dont think the factories back in the 80's screwed up so many times with arms or legs?

In the 80s, arms and legs usually were not articulated, though. Even a toddler could've noticed swapped arms back then.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

Heroic Warrior Teacher of Madness's Avatar

Not to make excuses for Matty on an issue that is now almost beyond belief with the number of times its happened, but in the 80's those figures also had only 7 parts and they couldn't be swapped without making something that was very visually obvious that is was wrong.

From the test shot pics, it looks like Frosta's upper arms and her hands will be cast in black. I don't 'customize' but I have fixed a few Transformers over the years and reshaped a bunch of warped MOTUC weapons. Will heating up painted arms cause the paint to come off? If so, it could make fixing Frosta a waste of time for me.

It's not the factory workers fault, they are assembling as instructed. The root of the problem is the person responsible for marking the parts with L & R, who keeps messing it up by reversing them. This is occurring right at the beginning when the steel mold is created, before assembly even begins.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Reilly View Post
    In the 80s, arms and legs usually were not articulated, though. Even a toddler could've noticed swapped arms back then.
    Sir Reilly is right on here. Arms and legs on the vintage toys were 1 piece limiting the opportunity for switched parts.

My best guess is that it will/should be something POP related that isn't essential since non-POP fans will more than likely return her for the refund and not care about a POP free gift. Non-essential should be key since only subscribers will be getting the gift so it shouldn't be Netossa's mask or sword. I'll be keeping her although I'm not a POP fan per se, but a MOTUC fan and she is actually one of my favorite POP characters.
    Top Ten MOTUC wants: Sagitar, Sssqueeze, Great Black Wizard, Fang-or, Dragstor, Peekablue, Skeletor's Skeleton Warriors, Despara, Evil Seed (all era) w/Odiphus, Illumina w/Sleetah

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Reilly View Post
    The number of parts has nothing to do with the issue here; GI Joes in the 70's, as well as Megos, had as many, if not more parts, than MOTUC figures, and those were kept straight 40 years ago. As has been stated, the problem is in the way the molds are made, with the parts being marked wrong from the time the molds are cut. We've been told assembly is based off what comes out of the mold and how it is marked; that is where this glitch keeps occurring, now with the forearms instead of the shoulders.

And, yes, this is the second time the forearms have been reversed this way. I think this mistake, causing the same exact problem with the forearms within a few months, pretty well belies the assertions that Stinkor was a conscious decision. Having the exact same error happen so closely together and claiming one was actually meant to be that way stretches credulity way past the breaking point.

I just hope that heating and swapping at the shoulder and wrist doesn't flake the paint if we are once again using the bloody black plastic...
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    It's not the factory workers fault, they are assembling as instructed. The root of the problem is the person responsible for marking the parts with L & R, who keeps messing it up by reversing them. This is occurring right at the beginning when the steel mold is created, before assembly even begins.
    goes back to my original post about people under 15 working on this
    Don't hate me cause ... (I'm Da Man)!

Carlo Hooks you up thread, just click HERE!

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    goes back to my original post about people under 15 working on this
    Now, now, let's not insult the under 15 crowd...
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Ideally the free gift would be something useful to have in our collection, and would be something POP fans especially would enjoy. Perhaps a Netossa headdress.

The free gift will be a hair dryer.
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!!

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    I just watched the Power-Con Q&A with Mattel, and they said that it was the factory's fault for not following the instructions properly.

So I guess I was wrong.

Toyguru was also asked why design changed Stinkor's arms, but he didn't really give a clear answer, just excuses.

Well with all that being said I think what we as fans are heavily expecting from this line, since it is we who are keeping it going with our hard earned money is;

Yes, mistakes happen; whether they are factory workers, production design decisions or whatever. But at this point considering the limited budget and not a billion dollar project, this has been a major reason why sales of both a figure or even a sub drops, should make someone say "We can't afford to let this happen EVER AGAIN"! We are barely making it and we have NO MORE ROOM FOR ERROR! We need someone to be on top of this like white on rice (and any other one you can think of) to make sure that we are shooting for flawless work. It's beginning to tarnish the company name and as such we are committed to only putting out the best rather than stumble over excuses, apologies and bribery to make it all better. It's a hard expectation to meet but not impossible.

I truly love this line and say Make Mine MOTUC but it's hard to really keep many feeling this way when seemingly a guarantee is issued and the very next incident occurs, which turns out to be the same exact problem the first time....

Make that apology gift something to really shut me up!!!!
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

Quote Originally Posted by guardianmonkey View Post
    From the test shot pics, it looks like Frosta's upper arms and her hands will be cast in black. I don't 'customize' but I have fixed a few Transformers over the years and reshaped a bunch of warped MOTUC weapons. Will heating up painted arms cause the paint to come off? If so, it could make fixing Frosta a waste of time for me.
    I swapped Dragon Blaster Skeletor's painted forearms and boots onto a standard Skeletor reissue buck. The process didn't cause any paint to ship.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Heroic Warrior
    To me ANYONE who buys this figure is not being smart..they are selling us something they know is not put together Right...yet you still have to get one because you can fix it yourself...If I pay over $30.00 for something...I do not want to take it apart because it was put together wrong...that is just plain stupid!

IF you buy this figure...they will continue not to care...this will continue happen.

I will NOT get this figure...they should recall ALL of them and fix each one!

Buy a wind raider day? Hell NO!!!!

How about fix frosta day then sell her to us...then I might consider a wind raider...

YOU the consumer is who is allowing them to continue doing this...they will never fix any issues if you keep buying them no matter what!
    Last edited by Eternianghost; September 30, 2012 at 05:50pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by FAKER II View Post
    I swapped Dragon Blaster Skeletor's painted forearms and boots onto a standard Skeletor reissue buck. The process didn't cause any paint to ship.
    Can you share the process with us? Blow dryer?