View Poll Results: How much Non-Vintage influence would you prefer?

Voters
144. You may not vote on this poll
  • Little or no non-vintage influence, I'd prefer recreations of the original toys.

30 20.83%
  • I'd prefer Filmation/style guide elements for any non-vintage influence.

25 17.36%
  • I'd prefer 200x elements for any non-vintage influence.

12 8.33%
  • I'd prefer whatever the 4H see fit from any influence to create the most iconic version possible.

58 40.28%
  • Whatever non-vintage elements should be included in a separate release only.

2 1.39%
  • I'd prefer the figures NOT be recreations of the originals, but as much modernizing as possible.

9 6.25%
  • I will buy MOTUC figures no matter what.

8 5.56%
  • I do not buy MOTUC figures.

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much Non-Vintage influence would you prefer?

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar

How much Non-Vintage influence would you prefer?

There's been so much back-and-forth over what kind of influence most fans would like to see on the figures, I thought a more in-depth poll would make for interesting discussion.

I know doing this kind of poll is hard, and not everyone can fit into one category so neatly.

But for the purposes of this thread, please read all of the choices carefully and go with what best represents your point of view.

YES YES YES!!!

I want them to allow the 4H FREE REIGN with NO restrictions of ANY kind whatsoever, to make THE MOST ICONIC version of each character.

Use: 200X, Vintage, Filmation, Comics, and their own new creations! Whatever they want!
    We'd be in good hands!

NO LIMITATIONS!!! Size, features, styles, elements, extra heads, extra parts, etc etc. NO LIMITATIONS!!!

If that means combining 200X with Vintage, or Filmation or something from the comics, or something we haven't even seen...GREAT!!!!

How about a bikini Teela from the comics!

How about the figures not all shopping at the SAME UNDERWEAR DEPARTMENT! DIFFERENT IS GOOD! VARIETY IS GOOD!!!

How about re-imaginings! Styles and elements we HAVEN'T seen?

Let the 4H do their thing. Don't restrict them!
    Last edited by General Hawk 7; December 16, 2010 at 11:13am.
    At MATTYCOLLECTOR.com, 'ALL SALES ARE FINAL'...UNLESS it's in THEIR ADVANTAGE to not be...

Feedback Thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=185599

Find me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...00003950889698

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I wish I could vote for "I'd prefer whatever the 4H see fit from any influence to create the most iconic version possible.", but Mattel would never let that happen if they can make extra money through refreshes.

Whatever non-vintage elements should be included in a separate release only.

It shouldn't have come to that, but it seems as though it's already headed that way, so they might as well make it official. I'm expecting this to be the other shoe that drops after Club Eternia is sold next year. A fan buys Club Eternia 2012 and then Mattel drops 200X elements entirely on the initial release because the 200X fans want to buy something more than the same figure with an alternate head.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I wish I could vote for "I'd prefer whatever the 4H see fit from any influence to create the most iconic version possible.", but Mattel would never let that happen if they can make extra money through refreshes.

Whatever non-vintage elements should be included in a separate release only.

It shouldn't have come to that, but it seems as though it's already headed that way, so they might as well make it official. I'm expecting this to be the other shoe that drops after Club Eternia is sold next year. A fan buys Club Eternia 2012 and then Mattel drops 200X elements entirely on the initial release because the 200X fans want to buy something more than the same figure with an alternate head.

I WOULD TOTALLY BUY ALL 200X VARIANTS!!

My only fear with trying to push for 200X Classics, as variants, is that they wont do it. While I LOVE the idea, (and correct me if I am wrong here) but they (Mattel) said they would only do a 200X figure if it was "significantly different enough" from the original or did not have a vintage figure.
    Now I am not sure what standards they are using as "significant", because pretty much any 200X design is significantly different in my book.

Take Buzz-Off... would they really be willing to do a 2X Buzz-Off since they just released a vintage one? I doubt it. I wish they would though as I would just always wait and just buy the 200X versions. I just dont think they will do that because in their minds 200X is bad and it would take up a "slot" or whatever.

But yeah, I'd love to see 200X versions of every character done in the classic style. But for some reason Mattel doesn't like the Super Detail of 200X. The last few figure releases, imo, have been lack luster and boring; Even a bit goofy as they try to translate children's action figures into adult action figures. (not to pick on Buzzy, but again, the new MOTUC Buzzy head, arms and legs, vs the more realistic insect like style of the 200X Buzzy: 2X Buzzy looks much more "realistic" while vintage Buzzy looks...well, not as much to put it nicely. And that point CAN'T be logically or reasonably argued. Unless you can show me an insect with parts that look more like vintage Buzz-Off, then I'll concede the point.) I get that many like that style for nostalgia sake, but I prefer my figures with more "realistic" look to them as an adult collector.
    Again, I just think Mattel is less likely to make distinct 200X updated versions of each figure than they are to just allow the 4H make each figure as they see fit incorporating whatever elements they like.

But either way...it's time we get a non bonnet Skeletor! lol
    Last edited by General Hawk 7; December 16, 2010 at 12:38pm.
    At MATTYCOLLECTOR.com, 'ALL SALES ARE FINAL'...UNLESS it's in THEIR ADVANTAGE to not be...

Feedback Thread:

Find me on Facebook!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by General Hawk 7 View Post
    My only problem with having 200X Classics, as variants, while I LOVE the idea, (and correct me if I am wrong here) but they said they would only do a 200X figure if it was "significantly different enough" from the original or did not have a vintage figure.
    Now I am not sure what standards they are using as "significant", because pretty much any 200X design is significantly different in my book.
    Right now, the only 200X versions of characters that we are getting will be versions of characters that are totally different.

The other method that I'm talking about will be if Mattel decides to release the extra heads by offering them as variants (same figure as released before, but instead of a vintage head, it's a 200X head), like Toyguru recently mentioned.

Take Buzz-Off... would they really be willing to do a 2X Buzz-Off since they just released a vintage one? I doubt it. I wish they would though as I would just always wait and just buy the 200X versions. I just dont think they will do that because in their minds 200X is bad and it would take up a "slot" or whatever.
    Oh, it's going to be a long ways off, if it's done at all. Mattel wouldn't want to sabotage their initial sales if fans are going to wait for the 200X version. If anything, these 200X variants would be a bonus figure that isn't part of the subscription.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    I voted for the first choice...just like where the line is right now. Little (5-10%) non-vintage influence...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    I went for the first option, "little non-vintage influence", but border on "I'd prefer whatever the 4H see fit from any influence to create the most iconic version possible".
    I think for the most part, the vintage designs serve the purpose, and recreations of them are great. In a few select cases, I don't mind them taking elements from other "eras" where it adds to a figure. But I for one am not of the "we must have 200x in MOTUC" band. ...Oh dear, did I just say the fatal words?
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

I went with the first option.

That best describes how I feel about the vintage characters. I don't want any 200X influence on them. Cool extras that don't change the design of the characters are awesome like Scareglow's Grayskull reliquary or Tri-Klops' Doomseeker. That's all the new influence I'd like to see.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

I trust the Four Horsemen. Whatever they decide to do is cool with me.

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    I dunno. I could easily select like 3 or 4 options here. I'm happy with what we are getting though. I trust the Four Horsemen like no other which is a lot of trust when it comes to my favorite property ever in MOTU. I think my choice varies character to character as well because for some (especially PoP characters) I prefer Style Guide and Filmation color schemes and appearances to the vintage toys. I do like a little bit of modern thrown in as well like they are doing. It keeps the accessories from being too few and makes the characters more interesting overall.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Yay!! Go Option 4!

Just say no to "Commemorative Series, Mk II".

I want every figure to be as close to the original source material as possible. I don't want 200X influence on vintage based figures (unless it's interchangeable parts). But I also don't want any vintage influence on the 200X figures.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

I want MOTUC to be the Horsemen's iconic versions of each character and any of his/her variations. I am loving how the line has been handled in this respect so far, and I think it has held to this ideal.

That said, I will buy mOTUC no matter what.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Way to Go Club Etheria!

Evil Witch of Metternia Met-Hild's Avatar
    There are a couple of figures I really want the designs to remain faithful to the 80's designs, not necessarily that of the toy but at least ones seen in minicomics, the style guide or the Filmation series. But apart from those few that I don't think have been improved upon in any later incarnations, I'm a big fan of the new stuff. In fact what I find the most exciting is when the Four Horsemen come up with something completely new that still fits in with the old. And I usually wish that the head sculpts could be modernized a bit more even though I think they shouldn't be taken as far from the originals as the 200X toyline.

I dunno. Sometimes I think what I really want isn't so much MOTU Classics as it is MOTU Lovingly Modernized by the 4H. Don't get me wrong though, the general style of the Classics is great. I just think there's a lot more you could do with the design elements.
    The artist formerly known as Mechthild

Please check out my MOTU revision fan art, and fan fiction: Metternia bios and history & myths.

Now also on DeviantArt: http://osmatar.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Mechthild View Post
    In fact what I find the most exciting is when the Four Horsemen come up with something completely new that still fits in with the old.
    Totally agreed.

And though I know not many have voted so far, if the tallies so far indicate any kind of accurate sampling, it's nice to see that it's just a minority that wants what Mattel is increasingly offering.

Hopefully fan feedback will help sway Mattel on this point eventually.

More 200X and more new ideas/elements (not necessarily from anything we've seen) from 4H in ANY form they'll give it to us, be it 200X variant figures, or figures with various elements.

Feedback Thread:

Find me on Facebook!

To me it doesnt matter. I buy them no matter what. I swtich out accessiores every so often to show off the different looks.

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    I think 50-50 is a great idea.

Widget
    4h Iconic

to me the line will always be vintage based, because the major design elements and color schemes will always be observed. but 200x figures and stactions went along way to individualizing each characters look, giving each unique design elements. As much as I loved the originals, I'm not a fan of the standard body type, and over recycled parts. 200x updates changed my opinion on some figures I had never cared for. I really only want one of each figure, interchangeable is the best option, get the feeling if we start seeing 200x variants of core figures it will be the beginning of the end. Let 'em evolve.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    Everything has been so great. just as you would expect. except for not giving us 200x heads & weapons. I would not want to buy another figure just because they added a 200x head. I'm cool with having a 200x Evil Lyn though.
    I like those added 200x influences like Webstor & Buzz Offs extra insect limbs. Or all new weapon packs like on MAA & Grizzlor. To cool.
    But that was sad that we didn't get extra head for Zodak, Faker, Evil Lyn, Grizzlor or Buzz Off.

We need more votes!

And kylun, that's a great list of figures that really could've used extra heads.
    Maybe add Roboto to that list, too.

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    I think the basis should always be the vintage figs, because this is Classics after all. But, with that said, there needs to be small additions here and there, to spice things up, and suprise the fans.

So, whatever the 4H sees fit to make the figures as Iconic as possible. A little bit of everything as spice. Especially the ALL-NEW additions have been great, methinks. Tri-klops daggers, Scareglow's reliquary, Adora's pistol. The list goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Predabot View Post
    Especially the ALL-NEW additions have been great, methinks. Tri-klops daggers, Scareglow's reliquary, Adora's pistol. The list goes on.
    Agreed 10000%!!!!

And, I think we can say, that we HOPE the list will go on . . .

I'll buy these MOTUC no matter what, baring in mind I have to want the character. That's more important than the design.

But for instance I'm torn. For Catra I wanted a good mix of the original toy's look mixed with Filmation style. I'd been cool with I belive Emiliano's rendition of how that toy would look.

But then again, I really just want Filmation POP.

SO I'm torn.

But other than POP, I want Vintage He-Man and the Masters of the universe to favour vintage, and trust 4H to do anything else, (NA, 200x, proto, ect) in vintage style the way they see fit.

Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    [I] trust 4H to do anything else, (NA, 200x, proto, ect) in vintage style the way they see fit.
    That's a bingo right there.

As long as it's in the established MOTUC style, I think any design elements the 4H think would work should be able to fly, no questions asked!