Thread: Which Horde members were around in Preternia with Hordak?

Heroic Warrior

Which Horde members were around in Preternia with Hordak?

Ok, so as I think about my master plan for my display of MOTUC I'm putting together, part of what I'm thinking about is somewhat timeline based. Because of this, I'm trying to figure out which Horde members fought alongside Hordak against King Grayskull in Preternia. The bios on some figures are pretty explicit in stating they were around early, but others are a bit ambiguous or don't even mention time.

What is everyone else's thought? Which of these characters were around in Preternia?

• Catra
    • Cy-Chop
    • Grizzlor
    • Horde Troopers
    • Leech
    • Mantenna
    • Modulok
    • Mosquitor
    • Octavia
    • Scorpia
    • Shadow Weaver

For those that weren't around in Preternia, who joined up around the time of the abduction of Adora?

I'm basically looking at 4 "major" eras in my display: Preternia, birth of twins/abduction of Adora, "Filmation years", NA/future. I know there are some figures that don't fit into these eras, so they will be more isolated in the display, but I'm ok with that.

Can't wait for my Castle Grayskulls so I can figure out where/when I'll place them.

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    I personally dislike the whole Horde in Preternia thing.

But if that's how Mattel wants it, it seems that only Grizzlor, Mantenna, and Leech were possibly there with Hordak.

However, I like to think that if the Horde is that old, they'd have a whole different cast 5,000 years ago. Maybe only Hordak was around then (possibly immortal or long lived).

Squirrel that can type Lewd_Squirrel's Avatar
    I believe that Catra, Shadow Weaver & the Horde Troopers were there, too.
    Does Galactus fart?

Heroic Warrior Matthew L. Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mjharwood View Post
    [*]Catra
    According to the bio, part of the original crew that followed He-Ro to Preternia and wound up in Despondos. I personally prefer thinking of her and most of the female She-Ra Hordesmen as Etherians who threw in with the Horde, myself--it accounts for their similarity of aesthetic to the PoP characters and their difference from a lot of the Horde.
    [*]Cy-Chop
    Bio: Mercenary who joined up for the Second Ultimate Battleground, so Filmation era.

[*]Grizzlor
    Bios: Part of the He-Ro Pursuit Team. IM 200X/Classics C: Preternian native who joined up with Hordak. Possibly a distant ancestor of Beast-Man.

[*]Horde Troopers
    Something resembling them appears to have been in use in every era.

[*]Leech
    Bios: Preternian native taken and brainwashed by Hordak during the Preternian era. IMC: Alien creature who serves Hordak willingly in the same timeframe.

[*]Mantenna
    Unspecified, but given the 200X cartoon and the general trend, probably part of the He-Ro Pursuit Team.

Note here: Megator was apparently on Hordak's side in the Preternia era. Zombie Megator, according to his bio, fought for King Hiss and against Hordak in the Second Ultimate Battleground--which contradicts the two evil leaders working together in other stuff we've seen about the 2nd UB.

[*]Modulok
    At the moment, I don't think we've seen a bio--maybe this weekend. If they're keeping the vintage origin, he'll be Filmation-era. IMC, he's a fugitive from the Tri-Solar Civilization who learned about the Horde and joined up with Shadow Weaver on Etheria, adding his technological skills to her dark magic.

[*]Mosquitor
    Bios: Joined the Horde after they conquered his homeworld, so any time. Given his late introduction in vintage, I'd place him in the Filmation era. IMC: One of Modulok's creations.

[*]Octavia
    Renegade Etherian who joined the Horde, so either Birth of the Twins or Filmation-era, both in bios and IMC.

[*]Scorpia
    Unrevealed. Could be Birth of the Twins, Filmation-era or even Preternian--since Catra was part of the He-Ro Pursuit Team, she might be as well.

[*]Shadow Weaver
    Bios: An Etherian native who joined up with Hordak as soon as he arrived on Etheria, so probably Birth of the Twins. IMC: An Etherian native who learned of Hordak, contacted him in Despondos, and conquered Etheria in his name--and remained faithful to him, even to the point of reaching through the dimensional barriers to orchestrate the taking of Adora on the night of her birth, raising her to worship Hordak as a god.

As for Horde Prime . . . I don't like the character (I think he detracts from Hordak, especially a vintage toy style or 200X-style Hordak), but while of Preternian vintage, he could be placed at either end in a display, since the Classics timeline apparently brings him 'on stage' in the NA/future era. If some of the hints and rumors I've picked up are corrected, the same could be said for the Unnamed One.
    Last edited by Matthew L. Martin; September 15, 2013 at 12:47pm.

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    The Horde Mummy!!
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    The Horde Mummy!!
    That's a figure that, done properly, should have been ancient when Hordak was young.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew L. Martin View Post
    According to the bio, part of the original crew that followed He-Ro to Preternia and wound up in Despondos. I personally prefer thinking of her and most of the female She-Ra Hordesmen as Etherians who threw in with the Horde, myself--it accounts for their similarity of aesthetic to the PoP characters and their difference from a lot of the Horde.

Bio: Mercenary who joined up for the Second Ultimate Battleground, so Filmation era.

Bios: Part of the He-Ro Pursuit Team. IM 200X/Classics C: Preternian native who joined up with Hordak. Possibly a distant ancestor of Beast-Man.

Bios: Preternian native taken and brainwashed by Hordak during the Preternian era. IMC: Alien creature who serves Hordak willingly in the same timeframe.

Unspecified, but given the 200X cartoon and the general trend, probably part of the He-Ro Pursuit Team.

Note here: Megator was apparently on Hordak's side in the Preternia era. Zombie Megator, according to his bio, fought for King Hiss and against Hordak in the Second Ultimate Battleground--which contradicts the two evil leaders working together in other stuff we've seen about the 2nd UB.

At the moment, I don't think we've seen a bio--maybe this weekend. If they're keeping the vintage origin, he'll be Filmation-era. IMC, he's a fugitive from the Tri-Solar Civilization who learned about the Horde and joined up with Shadow Weaver on Etheria, adding his technological skills to her dark magic.

Bios: Joined the Horde after they conquered his homeworld, so any time. Given his late introduction in vintage, I'd place him in the Filmation era. IMC: One of Modulok's creations.

Renegade Etherian who joined the Horde, so either Birth of the Twins or Filmation-era, both in bios and IMC.

Unrevealed. Could be Birth of the Twins, Filmation-era or even Preternian--since Catra was part of the He-Ro Pursuit Team, she might be as well.

Bios: An Etherian native who joined up with Hordak as soon as he arrived on Etheria, so probably Birth of the Twins. IMC: An Etherian native who learned of Hordak, contacted him in Despondos, and conquered Etheria in his name--and remained faithful to him, even to the point of reaching through the dimensional barriers to orchestrate the taking of Adora on the night of her birth, raising her to worship Hordak as a god.

As for Horde Prime . . . I don't like the character (I think he detracts from Hordak, especially a vintage toy style or 200X-style Hordak), but while of Preternian vintage, he could be placed at either end in a display, since the Classics timeline apparently brings him 'on stage' in the NA/future era. If some of the hints and rumors I've picked up are corrected, the same could be said for the Unnamed One.
    That's great info, summarized very well. And you're right about Megator... I forgot to include him. I have 2 so I can include the regular and zombie versions accordingly.

For the characters who are unspecified, I'll probably use them in the Filmation era. Crazily enough, I'm even including 2 each of the various snake men... I may now have to track down a second of some of the Horde.

According to the bio, part of the original crew that followed He-Ro to Preternia and wound up in Despondos. I personally prefer thinking of her and most of the female She-Ra Hordesmen as Etherians who threw in with the Horde....
    Actually this was alot of fun to read. Thanks for all your efforts.
    Maybe Marzo as an archenemy was the biggest thing to happen to Mekaneck, but as far as Marzo was concerned...it was Tuesday.

This a great breakdown, I enjoyed reading through it. I agree about Catra, I never liked that she was Preternia area, I think it fits better that she is an Etherian...she just doesn't seem immortal to me...

However, I attribute the longevity of Horde members to a once-a-Horde, always-a-Horde enchantment. They have you for as long as they want you.

One thing that confused me, You say that you think Shadow Weaver contacts Hordak in Despondose and concours Etheria in his name, but I always thought Etheria was IN Despondos and is the planet there that Hordak made his home.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinxieman View Post
    One thing that confused me, You say that you think Shadow Weaver contacts Hordak in Despondose and concours Etheria in his name, but I always thought Etheria was IN Despondos and is the planet there that Hordak made his home.
    That was my personal canon, and I've always thought that shoehorning Etheria into Despondos didn't feel right. So for my own continuation of the 200X continuity, I bumped Hordak up to vintage/200X/"Horde Prime" level and raised Shadow Weaver up as Skeletor's equal and ruler of Etheria in his name--the Faithful Servant in contrast to Skeletor the Faithless One. The result is that you get He-Man vs. Skeletor on Eternia, She-Ra vs. Shadow Weaver on Etheria, and Hordak as a world-spanning, cosmic threat to both worlds. That is, however, only my personal continuity and should not be confused with Classics canon. Forgive my self-indulgence.

That was my personal canon, and I've always thought that shoehorning Etheria into Despondos didn't feel right. So for my own continuation of the 200X continuity, I bumped Hordak up to vintage/200X/"Horde Prime" level and raised Shadow Weaver up as Skeletor's equal and ruler of Etheria in his name--the Faithful Servant in contrast to Skeletor the Faithless One. The result is that you get He-Man vs. Skeletor on Eternia, She-Ra vs. Shadow Weaver on Etheria, and Hordak as a world-spanning, cosmic threat to both worlds. That is, however, only my personal continuity and should not be confused with Classics canon. Forgive my self-indulgence.
    Ah, OK. I thought maybe I was out of the loop on something.

I actually like that idea. It works well for the narrative.

Heroic Warrior
    The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of Grizzlor, Leech, Mantenna & Mosquitor being in Preternia, and the more "human" style characters joining up around or after the abduction.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    The Horde Mummy!!
    Yeah, but back then he was known as the Yummy Mummy...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Catra was part of Preeternis too I believe.
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 7.21.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

Don't forget Calix

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    In Preternia time:

Horde Troopers (non robotic)
    Calix
    Grizzlor
    Leech
    Mantenna
    Horde Wraiths
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

Heroic Warrior
    Hordak, Grizzlor, Leech, Mantenna, and Calix. I prefer to think of the rest as Etherian.

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Yeah, but back then he was known as the Yummy Mummy...
    Teehee...
    Let's get HUNGA THE HARPY before 2016!

I don't know how Horde Prime fits into all this, but that's okay, he's a terrible character and Filmation should be ashamed of themselves for creating him. On Hadternia he is replaced by the Horde Primarch, a figurehead politician that runs the government while Hordak goes out and conquers worlds.

Heroic Warrior
    Calix, Horde Mummy, Acro Bad...maybe.

I don't like the idea of the entire Horde having been alive for 1000 years either. Maybe just Hordak. IMC, the Hordak defeated by Grayskull and the modern day Hordak (Filmation) are two different people. Here's hoping for a Filmation Hordak soon...

I don't like Catra being from Preternia... Prefer her origin as alluded to in "Magicats", where Hordak gave her the mask which allows her to transform. The idea of her being a regular Etherian betraying the Etherian people - much like Shadow Weaver - appeals to me more.
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - Spinnerella - Melaktha - Vultak - Dylamug - Crita - Mermista Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina

Think we got mostly confirmation from the bios who was around in the 'official' canon. For me I don't like the idea that King Grayskull had all these enemies he never truly defeated and came to fight He-man, individuals that's OK but entire armies gets a bit eye rolling at times.

I prefer to use Horde Prime as the leader of the Horde during Preternia, being a Gar which is a half Trollan half human who led his people to experiment on the other race with technology and magic which ended up creating many of the more odd looking half animal/human types. Hordak and Skeletor(Keldor) are people who he corrupted or used to try to take over Eternia and Etheria in different ways. Basically both trying to get to the powers inside Greyskull.

So in that regards the Horde members of the past are different.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it