Thread: Tour of Eternia #6: Caligars

Tour of Eternia #6: Caligars

Back we go into Subturnia, this time to take a look at Whiplash's Caligar brethren.

I'm not sure if Ceratus was a king or a chieftain. He didn't have a title that I remember and he's not listed as a royal connection in the Universe Guide. Could the Caligar be (gasp) democratic?! Nah, they must arm wrestle (tail wrestle?) or something.

I deviated from the MYP design for Whiplash. I didn't like that they made him fat. Also I liked the Four Horsemen weapon a lot too.

Ack, too many pics. The above picture is a generic Caligar obviously, and so is the one below. Disclaimer: Any resemblance to creatures from the Planet Plun-Darr are purely cooincidental!

In case it's not obvious, this is a female Caligar. I don't know why so many Eternian races are male only, but i thought I'd draw at least one woman in every group (well, until I get to the Claw Guys, cause they wouldn't be Claw GUYS otherwise).

Excellent!
    They look great!

I really like the "generic" Caligar guys and the female you came up with - Nice work G!
    Check out my Custom Figures! http://www.jsunscustoms.com

WOW , I love your work GBAGOK, its great. i have all your pics saved,and i print them and put it in my wall, i can't wait to see more.
    Simply amazing
    Great people that i'm trade:

Fishbrigade - Pyrelus -

I like this!
    I like Return to avantgard

I just want to paint... paddavis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok
    In case it's not obvious, this is a female Caligar. I don't know why so many Eternian races are male only, but i thought I'd draw at least one woman in every group (well, until I get to the Claw Guys, cause they wouldn't be Claw GUYS otherwise).

Well, they are called woMEN, so why not? And they say that "behind every sucessful man, there's a woman"....or something like that.

some more nice work, gbagok

Historian of Eternia LORD FALLEN ELDOR's Avatar
    I like the generic fat one, his head reminds me of the Filmation Whiplash.

I don't know why so many Eternian races are male only, but i thought I'd draw at least one woman in every group (well, until I get to the Claw Guys, cause they wouldn't be Claw GUYS otherwise).
    what no Claw-dia?
    "Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).

Not feeling this one as much as your past efforts but good stuff anyway.

Few crits:

1) Where are the scales man? I know the cartoon didn't really give the Caligars a strong reptilian appearance, but the Whiplash action figure definitely had an alligator vibe. The MYP designs look more like goblins.

2) Why give the female hair or hair like appendages? I mean can't we accept that gender among some species isn't distinguished by long flowing locks. She would fit in a little more if she had been bald with horns just like the male members of her race.

Don't take these as slams against your work because you definitely have more talent in your pinky than I have in my entire body. I'm just not crazy about the Caligars design. I also felt they should be living in a swamp as opposed to caves.

Sweet work G!!!! Awesome. If I can suggest something in regards to what maczero said... Now this may take a while but you could take a brush set to multiply and a low opacity and do some 'scale lines' ala the Whiplash fig on a new layer.

Just a suggestion mind you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by oICEMANo; August 17, 2005 at 05:05am.
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Heroic Eternian Beekeeper Meta Ray Mek's Avatar
    Nice to see you took a 'realistic' approach to the female and didn't make her buxom/sexy like most people would. IMO, I think she looks *fantastic*. ^^

Nice work!
    formerly known as 'the parasite eve'

"Have killed many, Shepard. Many methods. Gunfire, knives, drugs, tech attacks, once with farming equipment. But not with medicine.”

Quote Originally Posted by oICEMANo
    Sweet work G!!!! Awesome. If I can suggest something in regards to what maczero said... Now this may take a while but you could take a brush set to multiply and a low opacity and do some 'scale lines' ala the Whiplash fig on a new layer.

Just a suggestion mind you.
    Mmmmm. That looks good ICE!
    Check out my Custom Figures! http://www.jsunscustoms.com

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

RE scales, I know what you mean, maczero, but I decided not to add that amount of detail because I don’t think it looks good with this style.

However, that’s an interesting idea, Iceman. I’ll have to experiment with that effect after work.

RE “hair,” I’m afraid she wouldn’t look right bald. I didn’t want her to look pretty and have real “feminine” facial features, but I also didn’t want her to look like a guy in drag. The lips and hair were a compromise to pull it off. As for bald women, wait till you see the Elders! You’re talking a fan of the Borg Queen, bald women rule!
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD FALLEN ELDOR
    what no Claw-dia?
    Hehe. I was thinking of names like Clawzette, Shok-n-Claw, and Clawsome.

Love them all!

Your work makes me love MOTU that much more!

A big fan of Slush Head
    Excellent work man,as usual!! Love them all!!

Asp'r the Contrarian SnakeMenPriest's Avatar
    I didn’t want her to look pretty and have real “feminine” facial features, but I also didn’t want her to look like a guy in drag. The lips and hair were a compromise to pull it off.
    And pull it off you did

--Asp'r
    In Kansas, it is a crime to eat rattlesnake meat in public.
    You are upsetting the blessing of the Snake God. ALL HAIL RATTLOR!!

Check out 2-bad's Original epic: Origins of The SnakeMen!

I know I'm necroposting, but I just came across this old thread and noticed something that I think is still worth mentioning:

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...ia/caligal.jpg
    Caligars are supposed to be reptilian, not mammalian. Therefore it makes no sense for their females to have breasts. Breasts are precisely what differentiates mammals from other creatures. It's their very definition: the word "mammal" etymologically comes from mamma, Latin for "breast" (cf. mammary gland). That is, a species whose females have mammary glands would be, by definition, mammalian. Female reptiles don't have breasts nor a uterus, which are features specific to female mammals. Their offspring hatch from eggs, like birds (birds continue the original egg-based reproduction from their reptilian ancestors, whereas the uterus and mammary glands were a mammalian-specific innovation).

The point is, the morphological features that differentiate a human female from a human male are specific to mammals (breasts, uterus), to primates (a pair of breasts on the thorax, rather than an udder or dugs on the abdomen) or to the human species (a curvy bodyshape with prominent breasts that is generally thinner and smaller than the male). Being the woman-defining traits, these features are naturally what heterosexual human males tend to find physically attractive, and therefore what tends to be [over]emphasized (and idealized) when designing fictional female characters (as part of a general tendency humans seem to have towards trying to anthropomorphize everything). But, really, transferring mammalian-defining traits into a reptilian species is a bit too much, IMO, even for the fictional world of MotU.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

I agree with you uaxuctum, but in the case of fictional evolution of reptilian Caligars, who are (way too much) convergent in body shape with mammalian taxon Hominoidea (except they have tails). Maybe their reptilian ancestors developed ovo-viviparity or viviparity (don't forget that even oviparity is present in some mammals like Monotremata) and convergently developed organs to feed their newborns... so their females now have those breast like organs in the same position as in primates as a result of convergency.