Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why There Should Never, Ever Be a He-Man Movie - io9

Why There Should Never, Ever Be a He-Man Movie - io9

http://io9.com/why-there-should-neve...vie-1078518746

The best-case scenario would be for the movie to take all of Masters of the Universe’ weirdness and goofiness and play it completely straight — go ahead and call the characters Clamp Champ and Webstor and Clawful and Fisto, and never once pretend like its anything other than completely normal names — and to just accept the weird dichotomy of magic and technology and monsters and war machines and everything else and treat it like a given, without spending half the movie trying to explain why it’s all there together. But even if Hollywood had the balls to trust mass audiences that much (and they don't), would they audiences actually accept it? I sincerely doubt it (although fans like me would be happy for the first time ever).
    I disagree with his conclusion but I agree that this would be the way to handle it. Play it true to the source material. Don't underestimate the human ability to suspend disbelief. MOTU is very entertaining. It doesn't make sense, but it doesn't have to. All the archetypes necessary for good story telling are there.

A MOTU movie that comes off as apologetic will certainly fizzle, though.
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

Beat me to it I just finished reading the article on FB and was gonna post it but you beat me to it

Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    Beat me to it I just finished reading the article on FB and was gonna post it but you beat me to it
    Scooped! Yesssss
    By the ancients!!!

Best paragraph in the article:

The best-case scenario would be for the movie to take all of Masters of the Universe’ weirdness and goofiness and play it completely straight — go ahead and call the characters Clamp Champ and Webstor and Clawful and Fisto, and never once pretend like its anything other than completely normal names — and to just accept the weird dichotomy of magic and technology and monsters and war machines and everything else and treat it like a given, without spending half the movie trying to explain why it’s all there together. But even if Hollywood had the balls to trust mass audiences that much (and they don't), would they audiences actually accept it? I sincerely doubt it (although fans like me would be happy for the first time ever).
    Hey, if you want to wallow in the negative, go nuts. Sure, things aren’t absolutely perfect, and people passionate about a property can get all keyed up about things. But I don’t collect toys to be miserable. So I’d rather think about the things that do excite me
    http://thefwoosh.com/2014/06/masters...beyond-vintage

Wrong Wrong Wrong ! Is that guy a Motu fan? please !

Hey guys and girls I invite you to a new FB fan-pages to support the new movie. join us!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-H...20?ref=tn_tnmn
    Last edited by heavy-eternium; August 9, 2013 at 05:46pm.
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

Quote Originally Posted by goluphi View Post
    Best paragraph in the article:
    i don't necessarily agree with that. playing it straight didn't work for the transformers or g.i. joe.

firstly, i think most of the characters should not even be referred to by any name- because they should be in the background. the film should focus on the core characters...who interestingly enough mostly have have normal names.

and for those whacky-named characters that must be referenced, i have no problem with them going by the names their mothers gave them- though i suppose some could get away with the whole "code name" convention.

by and large, i'm ambivalent to the article. i want a MOTU movie because i want the world of he-man to reach a broader audience. but on the other hand, g.i. joe and transformers have been tainted by their poor films. the chance that a MOTU movie could be made that is mediocre to bad is worse for me than no new movie at all. so in a way there's something nice about he-man's cult/niche status and it's relatively untainted purity.

granted, i'll still love MOTU if a bad movie is made, but i imagine it will be aggravating if the general public's perception of he-man is heightened, but the franchise becomes associated with a new terrible movie.

a good MOTU movie can be made...but it will take a careful balancing act to do so. many said LOTR was unfilmable, but we see where that went. i think it's fully possible to embrace the bizarre in MOTU without having to be silly. can you imagine it? a he-man movie that the general public actually thinks is cool? i can. but it's going to take fans being willing to accept certain adaptation strategies meant to elevate the film above it's campy source material.

and if fans are not willing to accept that, i understand, which is why maybe it's best that a movie is not made, and our niche is able to enjoy MOTU unchanged and untainted in our small corner of the geek world.
    FILMATION
    PRESENTS
    .:*~*:Thank You, Lou Scheimer...and Good Journey:*~*:.
    ...For Every Destination is but a Doorway to Another...
    The Time Has Come for Crackers The Clown and Chef Allen in MOTUC!

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    There is a very great and magnificent story in Masters, that can be done very believable, with little changes to the path and structure of Filmation/comics.

..but likely Hollywood will give it to a script-pump and a casting director, and let the director try to figure out what he's got to work with when the cameras are trucked in.

Make it like John Carter only market it better and I'll be happy. ....but to not make one at all would be a shame. We need a MOTU movie.....and a MASK movie....and a My Pet Monster Movie....and lets bring back the Wuzzles too....lol.

Cambridge, New Zealand (formerly South Africa)
    I'm just expecting the movie to be terrible, if it ever comes to fruition. That way I can't be disappointed.

I say if a director can't work with all the weirdness, he just doesn't get MOTU. Unfortunately, that's most people, I think. The first movie should focus on the more normal core characters though anyway, then if there's a sequel, bring on the weird!

In saying all this though, Thor worked amazingly well and there were some pretty out-there things for people to get used to with that. Just need the right mix of creative minds with big visions and an attachment to the property in order to nail it. 'Nuff said.
    Evil Simian Mechanic of the Horde!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bri-Man View Post
    i don't necessarily agree with that. playing it straight didn't work for the transformers or g.i. joe.
    I disagree. Transformer's wackiness wasn't the property itself--that was all Michael Bay. And G.I. Joe's problems came from Steven Sommers' first movie. Getting MOTU creators involved in the mix to make sure that MOTU is treated with respect and not adding in the screenwriter's personal fantasies (like the Accelerator suits in G.I. Joe--Sommer's always wanted to make an exo-suit movie) will help.

firstly, i think most of the characters should not even be referred to by any name- because they should be in the background. the film should focus on the core characters...who interestingly enough mostly have have normal names.

and for those whacky-named characters that must be referenced, i have no problem with them going by the names their mothers gave them- though i suppose some could get away with the whole "code name" convention.
    Tzzzzzzzztt...
    Squidish Rex...

I think even the names should be played straight. This isn't Earth. Go for it.

by and large, i'm ambivalent to the article. i want a MOTU movie because i want the world of he-man to reach a broader audience. but on the other hand, g.i. joe and transformers have been tainted by their poor films. the chance that a MOTU movie could be made that is mediocre to bad is worse for me than no new movie at all. so in a way there's something nice about he-man's cult/niche status and it's relatively untainted purity.
    I think G.I. Joe has been held back by a bad film, but Transformers is doing better than ever with it's films, even with Michael Bay directing. Transformers fans have never been happier with all the stuff coming their way, thanks to the success of the brand and it's movies.

granted, i'll still love MOTU if a bad movie is made, but i imagine it will be aggravating if the general public's perception of he-man is heightened, but the franchise becomes associated with a new terrible movie.

a good MOTU movie can be made...but it will take a careful balancing act to do so. many said LOTR was unfilmable, but we see where that went. i think it's fully possible to embrace the bizarre in MOTU without having to be silly. can you imagine it? a he-man movie that the general public actually thinks is cool? i can. but it's going to take fans being willing to accept certain adaptation strategies meant to elevate the film above it's campy source material.

and if fans are not willing to accept that, i understand, which is why maybe it's best that a movie is not made, and our niche is able to enjoy MOTU unchanged and untainted in our small corner of the geek world.
    I think a non-campy MOTU flick can be done...look at MYP. Just play it straight, take that tone and level of action, but give it some tender Filmation character touches and off we go.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Let's just leave He man to imagination and story telling.People just look ridiculous when trying to portray such.It just diminishes this character you have in your head.An animated route like Beo-wolf with a serious tone would be the only way if it was done.Now that would rock.
    Last edited by King Criss79; August 11, 2013 at 08:37am.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by King Criss79 View Post
    Let's just leave He man to imagination and story telling.People just look ridiculous when trying to portray such.It just diminishes this character you have in your head.An animated route like Beo-wolf with a serious tone would be the only way if it was done.Now that would rock.
    I agree. I think a He-Man movie in the style of Beowulf would be the best way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by cringer75 View Post
    I agree. I think a He-Man movie in the style of Beowulf would be the best way to go.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny...uter_animation
    By the ancients!!!

I read it. I absorbed it. Not being a biased fanboy, but I didn’t agree with any of it. The writer has taken an incredibly black and white stance on the whole subject, all the while trying to come off as very smart, hip and self-important. I bet he wrote it from Starbucks. There are many films out there that completely blow his article out of the water. MOTU is no more different than a whole lot of other sci-fi, fantasy and superhero movies. Really, it isn't.
    Last edited by Krueger; August 11, 2013 at 04:44pm.

The guy who wrote the article (and some people who made comments) got caught in the vision of the 80s series and has no idea the MOTU concept evolved.

If Thor ,Jonh Carter or Riddick,( some more successful and better than others , no matter) were possibles ,He-Man is absolutely possible.

I see this poster and see MOTU adapted for a live action movie.

MOTULA.ORG

I think its a poor argument to say that because they have dumb names then we can't have a serious movie.
    Teela, Duncan, Adam, he-Man, Skelator, Evil Lyn, Beatman, trap Jaw and Triklops oh and the Sorceress aren't that strange.
    And If you can have superheros saving earth then I dont see why we can't have fantasy and scifi mixing together. Actually
    what I think is happening is people are trying to come up with every excuse in the book for this movie not to be made.

from the 80s we have had
    three transformers movies:
    Two GI joe movies
    Two Smurf Movies
    All of which have made money hand over fist.

And is someone telling me these are any less ridiculous than He man?
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I disagree. Transformer's wackiness wasn't the property itself--that was all Michael Bay. And G.I. Joe's problems came from Steven Sommers' first movie. Getting MOTU creators involved in the mix to make sure that MOTU is treated with respect and not adding in the screenwriter's personal fantasies (like the Accelerator suits in G.I. Joe--Sommer's always wanted to make an exo-suit movie) will help.
    I'll say you're right as far as G.I. Joe...but transformers, not so much. stilted, corny dialogue is one of many problems with bay's films, and it is a carry-over from the source material. there needs to be a balance of respect and the screenwriter/film maker lending their own voices.

Tzzzzzzzztt...
    Squidish Rex...

I think even the names should be played straight. This isn't Earth. Go for it.
    come on now...did you think i hadn't thought of names like those when making my point? Mer-Man isn't a name i would consider above the mark ridiculous. Buzz-Off is another matter...however, i actually had a scene in my head where Buzz-Off goes to Eternos seeking an audience with randor...when the guard asks that he identify himself, he responds with "My name is unpronounceable in your tongue." to which the guard dismissively replies, "I got a name for you insect, how about BUZZ OFF!" something to that affect, anyway...and that's IF he's even prominently featured.

I think G.I. Joe has been held back by a bad film, but Transformers is doing better than ever with it's films, even with Michael Bay directing. Transformers fans have never been happier with all the stuff coming their way, thanks to the success of the brand and it's movies.
    don't get me wrong...i'm sure i would love all of the extra MOTU merchandise lining the shelves, but i would prefer the franchise not only keep it's dignity but increase it in the process of a new film. I want a MOTU film that sits in the upper echelons of genre blockbusters, like LOTR, the dark knight, or the avengers. i can still enjoy the world of MOTU even if a movie doesn't come out...so i would still prefer no movie over getting extra merch, but on the dingy coat-tails of a poor film.

I think a non-campy MOTU flick can be done...look at MYP. Just play it straight, take that tone and level of action, but give it some tender Filmation character touches and off we go.
    the MYP series was a strong step in the right direction, but still too campy in my opinion for live action. there's not one trick that will successfully take care of everything- like take the name situation: i'm not saying that none of the names should be used...some of them, like Mer-Man are acceptable to an audience that is accustomed to superhero tropes. some of them can be referenced, but as little nods to the fans, like the Buzz-Off scenario above. Some, like Fisto, should probably just go by their birth names...while others won't have to be mentioned at all, because they're either in the background, or not in the film at all (a film cluttered with too many prominent characters is a screenwriting DON'T).

Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    from the 80s we have had
    three transformers movies:
    Two GI joe movies
    Two Smurf Movies
    All of which have made money hand over fist.

And is someone telling me these are any less ridiculous than He man?
    all of those, with the exception of maybe the second Joe movie were pretty poor IMO. making money is not synonymous with quality. I want a MOTU film to be a Great Film...not just another product manufactured for the brand. I want a MOTU movie to be made, but i don't want it to be another forgettable chunk of eye candy. i want a MOTU movie that will be remembered as a classic of the genre...if whoever is directing isn't striving for that, i'd rather it not be made at all.
    FILMATION
    PRESENTS

Don't get me wrong I want a good movie too but saying it can't be made cause of some names n elements is dumb in my opinion. So I don't agree with the author of article.

If they can make a horrifyingly bad movie about a board game they can try to make a decent motu movie
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

The main characters do not have silly names, Adam, Teela, Duncan, Randor, Keldor / Skeletor, Hordak, Sorceress, Marlena, Zodac, Evil-Lyn.

Then there are the Beast-Man, Ram-Man. Mer-Man and so on that are not far from the names of Marvel/DC super heroes, .

More stupid names are from secondary characters that they not have a chance to be mentioned in a movie.

About the name He-Man, probably spend the same as Superman or Batman, maybe the He-Man name will be mentioned only once and adam will be the name most mentioned.

..And don't forget to join to the FB fan-page to support the new movie. more than 100 "likes" in 3 days, not bad for a fan-page.

Join us!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-H...20?ref=tn_tnmn
    MOTULA.ORG

Serving the Universe DennyCrane's Avatar
    Names like Superman and Batman work because they are drilled into our consciousness and handled in a respectful manner as part of the greater pop-culture mythos. The same could be done with He-Man, although it would take a much bigger drill. The camp element of masters is part of its charm, but so is the 66 Batman. Of course we say that out of nostalgia now days but at the time, it nearly buried the mature element of the bat-franchise. The '89 Movie changed that and BTAS added the cement. The problem is that no one has been brave enough to "go there" with motu outside comics, not that it wouldn't work. Of course there's a chance it will fail, but we won't know that until we've tried! I do agree that names would be a hurdle, but you don't see them emphasized in other 80's themed movies, so follow that blueprint and it shouldn't be a big thing. I do think that the fantasy-epic concept should be kept and nurtured over 80s nostalgia if you want to open up to a larger world. As many have stated, this franchise is getting a pretty thick beard and the best idea in my mind would be to take the Abrams Star Trek blueprint and run with it! First movie, give a nod to the hardcore fans but concentrate on building a future! In other words, steal ideas from other films--something Hollywood is very familiar with! They should also make sure Spielberg, Abrams, Whedon and Favreau are onboard. Might as well add Snyder and/or Singer. Make sure Schumacher is given direction...to another set.
    Shop toys, action figures, hobbies, comics, gifts & more at DC Collectibles Holiday Sale -
    #Buy2Get1Free69 Free Shipping. See details:
    http://shopdccollectiblesonline.com

Get Social for latest news, product update, sales:
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Pinterest
    *Org Members: Email your board name for an extra discount.

In the end it's just some dude's opinion he's posted on the internet. I don't have to agree with him and I don't see why I should change my opinion based on his. Frankly he seems like the kind of fan that thinks you should never expect anything of a MOTU movie because it won't fit his particular vision of what MOTU should be.

Firstly I don't see names as a big deal. We already have films like X-men where characters have silly names which is played largely straight. MOTU could also take a similar approach to the names and treat them solely as nicknames/call signs and have characters referred to by their real names (where appropriate).

Secondly I disagree about the magic and technology being something to be afraid of. While not many properties try the Sci-fi and fantasy angle it's still not unique by any means. I find it strangely arbitrary that supposedly that is somehow the point you can't cross as far as executives are concerned. I really wish everyone would stop using movie execs as the go to boogeyman in film making.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

Quote Originally Posted by Masamune View Post
    Secondly I disagree about the magic and technology being something to be afraid of. While not many properties try the Sci-fi and fantasy angle it's still not unique by any means. I find it strangely arbitrary that supposedly that is somehow the point you can't cross as far as executives are concerned. I really wish everyone would stop using movie execs as the go to boogeyman in film making.
    Good points. The original MOTU concept actually explained the technology/barbarian aspects really well, IMO.
    By the ancients!!!

This article is based on flawed logic. Half of it is the author talking about the silly names of characters and the other half how the author believes it will be like a Filmation cartoon. If he actually had a decent argument as to why a Masters film should not be made, it's definitely not in this article IMO. If he even bothered to check, LOTR didn't have a massive budget.
    Most Wanted MOTU Classics:

*MotU ~ Multi-Bot/Tung Lashor *PoP ~ Angella/Mermista *200X ~ Roboto/Calix *Filmation ~ Teela Na/Lord Masque
    *Play-Sets ~ Snake Mountain/Fright Zone *Vehicles ~ Roton/Land Shark *Beasts ~ Night Stalker/Stridor

Quote Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
    This article is based on flawed logic. Half of it is the author talking about the silly names of characters and the other half how the author believes it will be like a Filmation cartoon. If he actually had a decent argument as to why a Masters film should not be made, it's definitely not in this article IMO. If he even bothered to check, LOTR didn't have a massive budget.
    the author states that changes can be made. he states it doesn't have to be like the cartoons or use the silly names...but if changes are made, it could lose it's charm, it's identity. if it keeps the silliness, then it could end up in the heap with other campy spectacles.

i am however in the camp that believes changes can be made without spoiling MOTU's larger appeal.
    FILMATION
    PRESENTS

I love this article. Finally, someone who feels the same way about MOTU that I do! I love the camp, I love how "******" it is.

He's right: it doesn't need to be changed, otherwise it becomes any other generic movie. If you take a step back and look at it as a whole, MOTU is totally ****ing insane, and the movie NEEDS to preserve that in order to actually represent it properly! But of course, Hollywood will try to play it "safe" like they always do, and we'll probably get a boring two hour onslaught of failed attempts at "epicness".

He's saying that the only way for the movie to work is to just jump right into this world and accept it for what it is: a huge mishmash of crazy stuff with corny names. But Hollywood won't do it, and THAT'S why he's saying they shouldn't make it.