Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: He-Man & The Masters of the Universe #6 - DC Comics - SPOILERS

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

He-Man & The Masters of the Universe #6 - DC Comics - SPOILERS

This is the SPOILER thread for He-Man and the Masters of the Universe #6!

If you don't want to be spoiled, leave the thread now!

SPOILER SPACE

YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!

• So EVERYONE knows that Adam is He-Man and that Keldor is his uncle.
    • We saw friggin' CHARGER in a MOTU canon in the first time since the 80's.
    • Chief Carnivus and Sinkor's race.
    • Great fight between He-Man and Skeletor.
    • The Sorceress is not only dead, but beheaded...gruesome.
    • ORKO betrayed them all?!!
    • It's great to see the Masters, but I wish it were a clearer picture of them.
    • Is this the first canon where Ram Man doesn't seem to be of lower intelligence?
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; January 30, 2013 at 01:50pm.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY the_ultimate_evil's Avatar
    Quoted from my post in the other comic thread

ok so the big reveal is this

orko is the big bad of the masters of the universe saga.....orko

thats just simply moronic. there is no back story to it, it adds nothing to the character and just screams ohh look at us we're edgy and dark ooooooooooooooooooooooooh

i loved this series and enjoyed almost everything aside form the extremely **** poor designs and art styles (blonde teela adds nothing to the characters and makes her the exact same as many other characters) but this ending bloody hell

and also

everyone knows adam is he-man and skeletor is his uncle. ummm what
    And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
    Click to see my portfolio here
    my art blog with my latest pieces here
    my deviant art galleryhere
    all comments, criticisms and questions are welcome in my guestbook

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    There has to be a reckoning with Orko down the line. I can't imagine they would leave that alone. I hope it's really not "Orko" who betrayed them but an alternate one or maybe possessed by a demon or Horde Prime. It's still shocking.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

CHARGER! That says it all. I can't explain how happy I was to see him.
    Nice shot of all the Masters at the meeting. Looked like a Kulatak in the back as well? Good stuff. But the meeting was at a..."Pub n' Grub"?
    I was glad to see the partnership with Teela continue, as well as the banter. I've enjoyed their relationship.
    All in all I enjoyed the issue. He-Man back to his roots, in a way.
    Yeah, there are things that aren't my cup of tea (Orko being some Demon, Grayskull not being a place of power), but I can accept it for the sake of this story.

My verdict is still out on the orko thing. I really dislike ALL of Teela's dialogue, she is a warrior, not Paris Hilton.
    Windblown Advocate since 200x

Quote Originally Posted by the_ultimate_evil View Post
    Quoted from my post in the other comic thread

ok so the big reveal is this

thats just simply moronic. there is no back story to it, it adds nothing to the character and just screams ohh look at us we're edgy and dark ooooooooooooooooooooooooh

i loved this series and enjoyed almost everything aside form the extremely **** poor designs and art styles (blonde teela adds nothing to the characters and makes her the exact same as many other characters) but this ending bloody hell

and also
    There are no spoiler tags here, ultimate. We don't need them, since this is the place to discuss the comic freely.

I don't mind that Adam is always He-Man now (if this is what is the case). I've always hated that secret identity nonsense. Come to think of it, remember that scene in Battle Cat where we see He-Man and Teela in the throne room, but no Adam? This is probably why.

As far as the Eeeeevil One in the end being Orko, maybe something bad has happened to him? If that's Orko at all...

Quote Originally Posted by illicitjedi View Post
    My verdict is still out on the orko thing. I really dislike ALL of Teela's dialogue, she is a warrior, not Paris Hilton.
    Yeah, the dialogue in general is pretty awful. Although I finally like where the story is heading, even if it feels like it took forever to get there.

It also really feels like there was an issue missing between 5 and 6. Way too much stuff had to happen 'off camera'. I guess that's the price of decompressing about 2-3 issues worth of story over 5 books.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    There are no spoiler tags here, ultimate. We don't need them, since this is the place to discuss the comic freely.

I don't mind that Adam is always He-Man now (if this is what is the case). I've always hated that secret identity nonsense. Come to think of it, remember that scene in Battle Cat where we see He-Man and Teela in the throne room, but no Adam? This is probably why.

As far as the Eeeeevil One in the end being Orko, maybe something bad has happened to him? If that's Orko at all...
    If Adam is gone and Orko is a major threat, then I finally LOVE the direction the comic is going.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    I immediately thought of you as soon as I saw him!

I was glad to see the partnership with Teela continue, as well as the banter. I've enjoyed their relationship.
    Me too. Their relationship was a pretty major part of the book. It will be interesting to see how She-Ra impacts this.

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Orko is a what now?????

I don't even know what to say.

I also don't like the Sorceress being, once again, MOTU's biggest jobber.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

Good to see the gang of Masters in this, even if it was only for a few panels
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

With the useless death of the Sorceress, I dont think I will be investing in the ongoing unless it will end up being a ruse by her and she will return eventually. I just skimmed through the comic, saw Skeletor holding her head.

This series, the digitals, and the one-shots are poorly done. Maybe itll get better, but bringing the Sorceress back would be much better.
    Petition for IDW to revive Marvel's Transformers: http://www.petitiononline.com/tf81idw/petition.html
    Marvel's Transformers IDW revival Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/TF81fromIDW?sk=wall
    Marvel comics #81 is a reality through IDW and us fans its being created.....

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    It will be interesting to see how She-Ra impacts this.
    What if the new twist is a budding romance between Teela & Despara/Adora/She-Ra?..LOL
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Maybe Orko's one-shot has a hint or foreshadowing of what happened. I really don't want go back and read that one again though, lol.

Are we allowed to post small pics of images from the comic? I want to post a cropped image of Charger in the support thread.

I think it was a mistake to make Orko evil. He's one of the most recognizable characters from MOTU, and he could have been taken into many different directions that would have created equally compelling plotlines while staying true to the history of the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    Nice shot of all the Masters at the meeting. Looked like a Kulatak in the back as well?
    Charger was a nice touch indeed. I still hope we see him in MOTUC one day.
    Weren't those 3 creatures from the same race as Odiphus?

Anyway, I read the issue again and although I enjoyed it even more the second time, I'm going to be lazy and just paste my post from the other thread here:

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    I was pleasantly surprised by both issues.

The origin story was a bit thin, but the art was very well rendered and atmospheric.
    I loved how the sword was hidden behind a tapistry in a secret compartment inside the wall, like the one on the 200X Castle Grayskull. A good read, but nothing spectacular either.

The DC series on the other hand has come a long way but issue 6 finally delivered what I was hoping to get out of a new He-Man comic. As far as the art's concerned, I have some minor nitpicks about some panels, but Pop Mhan is definitely a huge improvement over Philip Tan and except for a couple of lackluster panels I was very happy with how #6 turned out. I hope he keeps up this standard for the next series.

The dialogue on the other hand is still crummy. Although Skeletor has some nice moments, yet it's quite tiresome how Keith Giffen desperately tries to come up with 'cool' sounding discourse. Some lines are truly beyond embarassing, like Teela's "what if he puts another whammy on you?" and the awful wisecracks during the fights. I also found the talk about Skeletor's ego to be a bit aggravating. Giffen just went on and on about it, to the point that He-Man was psychoanalyzing Skeletor in the midst of battle. Even the crystal skull rebuked the fallen overlord in the end.

The following I'm going to put between spoiler tags, lest I ruin it for the rest:

I was completely blown away by how they worked Orko in. I didn't like his spying aspect from the bios, however I do appreciate that they went all out on him and completely reimagined the character in a way which I guess nobody ever anticipated. While I enjoyed this rather surprising twist, I'm still a bit sad that we won't see the little fellow in this incarnation of MOTU.

So glad that DC left the Filmation's campy kid's stuff behind in favour of a more dark and serious tale of betrayal and vengeance. The level of violence was remarkable to MOTU standards: He-Man ruthlessly stabbing and slashing his foes, Skeletor beheading the Sorceress, Battlecat chewing on one of Evil-Lyn's warriors ... awesome!!!

To me the biggest accomplishments of the DC comics are the introduction of graphic violence, the acknowledgment of blonde Teela and the abolishment of the dual identity (which was long overdue).
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Chief Carnivus! The Pelezeans! Charger! King Randor's design is straight from Classics!

And from the last pic it's pretty clear Orko is the big bad - but why?

- - - Updated - - -

And Fang Man's on the back cover. Very random, don't you think?

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    What if the new twist is a budding romance between Teela & Despara/Adora/She-Ra?..LOL
    Expect sales to go up.

As for further thoughts, I don't really mind the loss of the secret identity thing. Love it actually.

Now granted I have not seen the comic myself yet, but even with that disclaimer I just can't see any way, shape, or form that Orko being the big bad guy behind everything working for me. I get that some people may not like Orko and wish that his was a bit more serious. There are ways to do that, usually involving good, more mature writing. I don't mind the "spy" part that Scott added in the bio. orko could be a great character if written right. Remember when Yoda shows up in Empire Strikes back and acts like a goofy idiot...only to find out that he is the wise Jedi master we all know and love? Same type of thing could happen here.

Instead this just feels like the people writing this comic hate Orko and made him the big bad guy as a giant middle finger to the character. Does he get killed too?
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

I don't think Orko is evil. Maybe everyone is under the impression he betrayed them, when he may have cut a deal with Skeletor to save their lives.

So is it Orko at final page? I was thinking Lodor first, with all kobold like creatures around.

While not everything is going as I would do it, I am glad they are rather bravely experimenting. I will buy more when/if more comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Barezz View Post
    Instead this just feels like the people writing this comic hate Orko and made him the big bad guy as a giant middle finger to the character. Does he get killed too?
    No, he doesn't get killed. In fact he's the one that saves Skeletor to fight another day (albeit under his command now).

Actually, I think it's very cleverly done. It's a twist that comes totally unexpected and it explains how Skeletor found out about He-Man's secret.

Besides, Orko always claimed to be a great sorcerer on his own planet
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Better ending than i expected it to be.

I don´t like the art, some panels are good the rest is weird, at least for my taste. For example, Teelas hair, it changes the whole time and just looks like withered common reed in a bundle or something....

LIKE:

* Golden unicorn !!!!!

* Orko as the traitor and mean and evil mastermind. Only because someone is little and cute...don´t judge a book by it´s cover! Finally some character development.

* Everyone knows he is He-Man and he is the power not the sword! No secrecy any more. "Clark Kent" good bye!

DISLIKE:

* Sorceress dead.

* Beast-Man and Evil-Lyn´s characterization. Evil-Lyn has powers of her own and this outfit....so UGLY(you can´t say that often enough)! beast-Man needs to be more orange colored he looked like Grizzlor.

I enjoyed it more than i thought i would.
    Last edited by Niki; January 30, 2013 at 04:20pm.
    *Peekablue *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Hawke *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

Wow he said I AM THE POWER ! awesome .

this issue is shocking from start to finish.
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

Charger!!!! I wonder if TG insisted on that after out movement.

I just recently got an ipod and read the digital . Is that skull supposed to be Hordak? That would explain why he head the ghost like appearance.
    Gaping holes in my collection: Regular old Teela, Weapons pack 1, Power & Honour book 1, SDCC artbook (maybe)

Is the Sorceress really dead though? In issue five the panels felt a bit odd and some seemed to think she was still tricking him. Perhaps that head was also part of the trick and it wasn't real? I guess we'll find out in the ongoing comic. I hope she's still alive since I want to see how Teela would deal with learning the Sorceress is her mother and all that entails.

Right now I'm wondering what are Adam and Teela's place in this new MotU? How will Adam handle being He-man now that everyone knows who he is? Will Teela start learning magic and in an effort to take up her mother's role as Sorceress or will she want to follow in her father's footsteps?
    Last edited by Masamune; January 30, 2013 at 04:55pm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

Quote Originally Posted by Barezz View Post
    Expect sales to go up.

As for further thoughts, I don't really mind the loss of the secret identity thing. Love it actually.

Now granted I have not seen the comic myself yet, but even with that disclaimer I just can't see any way, shape, or form that Orko being the big bad guy behind everything working for me. I get that some people may not like Orko and wish that his was a bit more serious. There are ways to do that, usually involving good, more mature writing. I don't mind the "spy" part that Scott added in the bio. orko could be a great character if written right. Remember when Yoda shows up in Empire Strikes back and acts like a goofy idiot...only to find out that he is the wise Jedi master we all know and love? Same type of thing could happen here.

The writing team in the earliest interviews balked at the silliness of Filmation, often making an example of Skeletor being goofy. The absence of the secret identity, Orko, Battle Cat not talking, Adora committing atrocities and the mature themes could be DC's way of compensating for people's idea of what MOTU was.

Quote Originally Posted by hlinhk128 View Post
    Charger!!!! I wonder if TG insisted on that after out movement.
    It shows that the comic guys are doing their homework on MOTU -- Teela as a blonde AND riding Charger are pretty far back references. I feel much better about the writing team than I did.