Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Q&A's From Around the Net (10/1/2012)

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    Incorrect. We were never told that the 2013 sub was not locked in. The only way it wasn't "locked in" would have been due to no sales. The 2014 sub has not been locked in yet.
    Again, we don't know that for certain. We know how long we've been told is takes to get things rolling on any of Mattel's lines, so it is very possible they have at least decided on how many figures we're getting. They have all the sub numbers they are going to have, so what else do they need for the decision to be made?

My guess is that we won't be told simply so the prospect of 2014 can be used as another caveman's club until SDCC. I can see the pleas coming from TG and Matty already, saying that selling more Granamyr's and Grayskulls will help convince Mattel's high muck-mucks to put more SKU's in 2014, even though that may already be decided. Also, if the choice has been made to cut back to only 6 figures, that might actually have bad impact on sales of the above; Mattel might think folks would see that as the line ending and might be less prone to buy big ticket items items in a dying line (though I think both items will sell about the same, regardless of what Mattel reveals).
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by orbles View Post
    Mattel: We actually have not announced anything about 2014 at this point. It is still too early to comment.

Wait, they have not announced anything about 2014?? Oh, thank Procrustus, it was all just a bad dream. I had this horrible dream that Mattel told us that 2014 was not even certain to happen and then if it did, then it could only be 6-12 figures, or less. I am glad they have not really mentioned any information about 2014 and this was just my wild imagination.
    So here's my question. If the lineup for 2013- including all figures, costuming detail, various accessories, paint operations, etc., were already planned down to the letter a year ago (ostensibly late Summer/Fall of 2011) shouldn't it stand to reason that... (and please correct me if my date arithmetic is off) the lineup for 2014 should be locked in, designs set, and the Horsemen already planning out various stages of sculpts? We've been told repeatedly that figure production starts at least 2 years ahead of actual toys rolling off the production line, so isn't it a little late at this point to start planning what (if anything) Mattel management is going to allow for figure slots for 2014?

I'm no Mysterio of prognostication here, and the above is merely culled from various things Scott has uttered over the years as to production timeline, but something smells god damn fishy up in Denmark.

EDIT: Looks like you and I are on a similar track Scott. Great minds thinking alike and all that... I guess.
    Harken the coming of Dragstor!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stygian360 View Post
    I'm no Mysterio of prognostication here, and the above is merely culled from various things Scott has uttered over the years as to production timeline, but something smells god damn fishy up in Denmark.

EDIT: Looks like you and I are on a similar track Scott. Great minds thinking alike and all that... I guess.
    Yeah, the fishy stank is building a bit, methinks. We'll see what happens when the castle is announced and the old dragon goes on sale...
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Inhibitor View Post
    If it's as exhausting to write as it is to read, then I'm sure a few days rest was called for. LOL!
    I know! I hate reading detailed, well thought-out posts. They make my poor little brain hurt.

Evil and Reads Everything Straight Edge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pravus Prime View Post

Mattel: We aren’t able to make any changes to 2013. It was locked in over a year ago.

Oh good. We're back to this it's been locked in for ages answer for the sub. Funny how when the sub was in trouble and people asked for the lineup to incent, we were told that the Sub hadn't been locked in yet.
    2013 has always been locked in, since before SDCC - Scott was adamant about not releasing any info because if production slips, and something doesn't make it into 2013 as planned, they could be left in a legal mess - so Mattel Legal will not let the full 2013 line-up be released until, at least, prototypes are ready.

2014 was the wildcard, which is why Scott said that he threw away the old roadmap, and that starting in 2014, he would focus on vintage toys and main characters to get the fundamentals out to us before the line completely died. But 2013 was never part of the new Roadmap, because those character choices (and the budgeting needed allocated to each figure) needs to be figured out long in advance of the first prototype even being sculpted.

Quote Originally Posted by Stygian360 View Post
    So here's my question. If the lineup for 2013- including all figures, costuming detail, various accessories, paint operations, etc., were already planned down to the letter a year ago (ostensibly late Summer/Fall of 2011) shouldn't it stand to reason that... (and please correct me if my date arithmetic is off) the lineup for 2014 should be locked in, designs set, and the Horsemen already planning out various stages of sculpts? We've been told repeatedly that figure production starts at least 2 years ahead of actual toys rolling off the production line, so isn't it a little late at this point to start planning what (if anything) Mattel management is going to allow for figure slots for 2014?

I brought up this same issue in another thread - the Matty Collector Sept 2012 News thread. One of the other members brought up a plausible explanation for this.

Heroic Warrior
    When was the last time they used the phrase 'IF there is a 2014 line?' For a while there that was all they were saying.

NOW it's always 'We have no comments....' 'we haven't released any information on...' etc. etc.

There is a definite change of tone here. Nothing fishy or devious going on.... they have the info they need.... WE just aren't getting it this early

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Edge View Post
    2013 has always been locked in, since before SDCC - Scott was adamant about not releasing any info because if production slips, and something doesn't make it into 2013 as planned, they could be left in a legal mess - so Mattel Legal will not let the full 2013 line-up be released until, at least, prototypes are ready.
    Just like the legal mess that nearly drove Mattel out of business when Demo-man shipped in January, right?
    Matty, Great Black Wizard figure please!

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Arthur asks: Have you considered making Netossa a gay character given her relationship with Spinnerella? We know MOTU is an avathar of the imagination but the gay fans of MOTU would love to have at least one figure they can relate to in an official Mattel bio.
    I cannot believe this is even a question. I mean, does it really matter who is and who isn't gay?
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisware View Post
    I know! I hate reading detailed, well thought-out posts. They make my poor little brain hurt.
    Oh well then you'd love his stuff!
    Your support means more research for the Myostatin-challenged.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    That's a good question...a LOT of people don't have their Q&A's up.
    Including the Org?!?!

This is a VERY peculiar month. Any guesses on the reason? Fallout from Powercon? Prepping for NYCC?

For all the complaining people do about the answers, I really kind of miss them this month

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    I cannot believe this is even a question. I mean, does it really matter who is and who isn't gay?
    Yes, it matters.

If homophobia wasn't rampant, then I would agree with you.

In the world we live in, every single time being gay is portrayed as perfectly acceptable it is important. Particularly to the struggling teenager in the middle of the country whose parents have just disowned them or told them they are going to burn for eternity for being who they are.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisware View Post
    Yes, it matters.

If homophobia wasn't rampant, then I would agree with you.

In the world we live in, every single time being gay is portrayed as perfectly acceptable it is important. Particularly to the struggling teenager in the middle of the country whose parents have just disowned them or told them they are going to burn for eternity for being who they are.
    Does it have anything to do with the story? Nope. Thus, it is not important to know this.

It's like having a sex scene in a movie. If it doesn't have anything to do with advancing the plot of the movie, it has no reason to be there.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Does it have anything to do with the story? Nope. Thus, it is not important to know this.

It's like having a sex scene in a movie. If it doesn't have anything to do with advancing the plot of the movie, it has no reason to be there.
    Not everything known about the characters is central to the plot of the main story. Some of that lesser information helps flesh out the characters. Martian Manhunter likes Oreo cookies, the Thing likes to play poker with his fellow Marvel heroes and Captain America works out for six hours every day. None of these are plot points, but they help us to understand the characters a little better when they aren't in constant "superhero mode".
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; October 5, 2012 at 11:26am.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

I won't rest until I know whether or not Count Marzo enjoys pears.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Roton 4) Dragstor 5) Saurod 6) Karg 7) Lodar 8) Mask of Power Demons 9) TC Skeletor 10) FF He-Man 11) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 12) Road Ripper 13) Lord Masque 14) Filmation Teela

It all depends on what you're looking for in a story. Avengers had a plot we've seen a million times before, another alien invasion; it was the characters that made the movie a hit.

Point is, you have to advance both the story AND the characters in a good tale. Concentrating only on plot makes for a boring tale no one is interested in, because you have no connection to the characters and you don't care about what happens to them. Often, the most powerful moments in a movie have nothing to do with the storyline per se, but with a moment when the character either grows or changes in some important way.
    Last edited by scott metzger; October 5, 2012 at 11:57am.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    I won't rest until I know whether or not Count Marzo enjoys pears.
    He prefers loganberries in mango sauce.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    It all depends on what you're looking for in a story. Avengers had a plot we've seen a million times before, another alien invasion; it was the characters that made the movie a hit.

Point is, you have to advance both the story AND the characters in a good tale. Concentrating only on plot makes for a boring tale no one is interested in, because you have no connection to the characters and you don't care about what happens to them. Often, the most powerful moments in a movie have nothing to do with the storyline per se, but with a moment when the character either grows or changes in some important way.
    The comparisons here are being made to movies and comics - no matter what people REALLY want here....all we have is a toyline, so far. If they were fleshing out the characters in a full story (rather than on the backs of packages) then I'd say: Bring on those questions! Can Netossa be gay? Could Skeletor be bi? Were Zodac and Zodak really lovers? Who knows? Best to flesh those things out in a comic with a full story and lots of space to do it in. Would you really want those bits of info just thrown in such a small space?

What we've got for now is little snippets on the backs of packages. Since most of the bios say nothing about being gay or straight...I just think randomly throwing it out there on Netossa's bio would seem out of place. I mean, unless her relationship with Spinnerella somehow impacts the major battles 'n such. 'Cause they seem to imply that Skeletor and Evil-Lyn have a kid, which may be important later...but still, that doesn't mean he's straight. Heck, if it were up to me I'd say Skeletor is incapable of really loving anyone. So if Netossa and Spinerella getting together eventually leads to them raising a kid that becomes important, then sure! Or maybe the strength of thier bond makes them a fighting force stronger than the two of them apart? Sounds like we need to know about that relationship. Otherwise, them getting together is as important as the possibility of Zodac and Zodak being an item. Who knows? Who cares? The important part is that Zodac trained Zodak. If they were lovers on the side, then that's for you to decide. (Of course that's not based on anything, I'm just using a possible relationship between them as an example).

So in conclusion: I don't think important things like that should be just mentioned in a bio. That needs comic or movie space to really be fleshed out.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Heroic Warrior
    I feel like it could be addressed in a non-addressing manner. For example, talk about how Netossa and Spinnerella are partners, but phrase it in a way that could be inferred either in combat or in private. It's canon they fight together, and those who want a gay-friendly character or two can pair them up.
    The power of Grayskull compels you!

My daughter's Hebrew name is Shira.

What about the transgender characters? How about representation for them?
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Roton 4) Dragstor 5) Saurod 6) Karg 7) Lodar 8) Mask of Power Demons 9) TC Skeletor 10) FF He-Man 11) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 12) Road Ripper 13) Lord Masque 14) Filmation Teela

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    The comparisons here are being made to movies and comics - no matter what people REALLY want here....all we have is a toyline, so far. If they were fleshing out the characters in a full story (rather than on the backs of packages) then I'd say: Bring on those questions! Can Netossa be gay? Could Skeletor be bi? Were Zodac and Zodak really lovers? Who knows? Best to flesh those things out in a comic with a full story and lots of space to do it in. Would you really want those bits of info just thrown in such a small space?

What we've got for now is little snippets on the backs of packages. Since most of the bios say nothing about being gay or straight...I just think randomly throwing it out there on Netossa's bio would seem out of place. I mean, unless her relationship with Spinnerella somehow impacts the major battles 'n such. 'Cause they seem to imply that Skeletor and Evil-Lyn have a kid, which may be important later...but still, that doesn't mean he's straight. Heck, if it were up to me I'd say Skeletor is incapable of really loving anyone. So if Netossa and Spinerella getting together eventually leads to them raising a kid that becomes important, then sure! Or maybe the strength of thier bond makes them a fighting force stronger than the two of them apart? Sounds like we need to know about that relationship. Otherwise, them getting together is as important as the possibility of Zodac and Zodak being an item. Who knows? Who cares? The important part is that Zodac trained Zodak. If they were lovers on the side, then that's for you to decide. (Of course that's not based on anything, I'm just using a possible relationship between them as an example).

So in conclusion: I don't think important things like that should be just mentioned in a bio. That needs comic or movie space to really be fleshed out.
    Spot on, this is no where near anything close to Marvel or DC where there's ton of media for those properties and details about characters are much more revealed. We basically have a toyline with a few lines of text on the back of the box, and even with the mini comics and new DC mini-series plot points about personal relationships for less than main characters will not be explored.

Look, this is a toy, cartoon and characters from our childhood. We now are adults and regardless of who we are now and the lives we live, sex and things like that have no place in our childhood. What we remember or what we rekindle with this toy, comic or any other form should be for us and children and sex has no place. Enjoy being a kid again and stop trying to put our personal agendas in things that it has no place in.
    He who has the Power rules the Universe, and I HAVE THE POWER!!!!

Please don't make a joke of gbl or trans people. It's unacceptable.

And guess what, straight friends. I'm the same Brian now as I was in the 80s when it comes to my identity.

You are suggesting that gay people have somehow changed upon becoming adults. If they have, it's usually in such a way that they stop pretending to be straight.

I have to deal with your straight "agenda" every time I read about Evil-Lyn & Keldor being married secretly and having a kid, or Marlena & Randor being married and having kids, or Bow being in love with Adora, etc. etc. etc.

For once, it would be nice to read something I, and the hundreds of other gbl He-Fans could relate to, without other fans, who have no idea what it feels like to be constantly marginalized, telling us that apparently God made a mistake and we shouldn't be pushing our "agenda."

I'm so tired of people who just can't deal with reality using the idea that gay people have some kind of agenda to keep from accepting the fact that we are just as normal as you.

It's a crap-shoot. We don't get to choose who we are with respect to sexual identity, and if you've actually chosen, then perhaps you're living a lie? therefore you don't get to label my identity or my actions as an "agenda.". That label is so incredibly offensive. It makes me want to leave the Org and never look back.

Of all the condescending, self-important things to say. "pushing" an "agenda?"

I love how that kind of thinly veiled prejudice is tolerated by people... Even so-called friends here tolerate it.

I haven't seen ANY of you complain about this being a toy line from our childhoods that should be devoid of sexual identity when it was revealed that Lyn & Keldor had a kid.

Hypocrisy.

News for you: Spinnerella and Netossa were written in the old cartoon as companions. I find that innocently wonderful. It's OBVIOUS that they could be considered partners in MOTUC without ruining everything for you.
    Last edited by bcrduke; October 7, 2012 at 05:16pm.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KingHe-Man View Post
    Look, this is a toy, cartoon and characters from our childhood. We now are adults and regardless of who we are now and the lives we live, sex and things like that have no place in our childhood. What we remember or what we rekindle with this toy, comic or any other form should be for us and children and sex has no place. Enjoy being a kid again and stop trying to put our personal agendas in things that it has no place in.
    You are 100% correct. Though, some will undoubtedly come and state something like, "But, we're adults and see it through adult eyes now . . ." and so-on and so-on. Hence, yes, pushing the agenda you refer to.
    But some of us are adults who see things with adult eyes now. ROFLMAO!

I'm not pushing any agenda (coughmore200Xcough), but the same things that have impressed me at 6 don't register at 37. I just don't see things the same way anymore. Things from your childhood can mature along with you as Hasbro's Transformers and G.I. Joe have done. Not all of us are trying to relive the past. Some of us would like these MOTU characters that started off as toys to become legitimate literary characters like Batman.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; October 7, 2012 at 05:57pm.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Well said folks.. I just like things the way they were. If the was a gay character the they should still be gay. But I'm not for the whole change thing like the zodac,, ZodaK thing. I like that motuc made them two separate characters. I like what I know. But I mean hey stratos dies and smaa in the bios if they make netossa a lesbian it's only words on paper and if it makes some people smile then I'm all for it. 30 years ago it was a different word. Wake up people its 2012. I'm not gay but hey there not the problem its the haters that can't get over someone else's happiness.
    http://http://80sMasters.com/
    It's your place for Freedom of Speach for everything MOTU, POP, TMNT, , Horror, Wrestling, DC and Batman, and all other properties that are cool.
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter.... BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone