Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Q&A's From Around the Net (10/1/2012)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    But some of us are adults who see things with adult eyes now. ROFLMAO!

I'm not pushing any agenda, but the same things that have impressed me at 6 don't register at 37. I just don't see things the same way anymore. Things from your childhood can mature along with you as Hasbro's Transformers and G.I. Joe have done. Not all of us are trying to relive the past. Some of us would like these MOTU characters that started off as toys to become legitimate literary characters like Batman.
    I deleted that post because I re-thought it. But you are definitely pushing an agenda - anything to do with 200x. If you deny it, you're in denial.

Brian, never my intentions to offend you. I wouldn't do so intentionally. I don't have anything against anyone for being gay. Like anyone else, it's how they handle themselves as a person that I dislike (which has nothing to do with being gay). I respect you far more than most on these forums. As I have been quoted for stating, "BcrDuke for the win! Somebody get this man a medal!"
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Roton 4) Dragstor 5) Saurod 6) Karg 7) Lodar 8) Mask of Power Demons 9) TC Skeletor 10) FF He-Man 11) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 12) Road Ripper 13) Lord Masque 14) Filmation Teela

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    I haven't seen ANY of you complain about this being a toy line from our childhoods that should be devoid of sexual identity when it was revealed that Lyn & Keldor had a kid.

Hypocrisy.
    Look more closely.

i am DEEPLY offended and have commented often that Skeletor and Lyn 'getting it on' is wrong in this property. I ALSO commented the same thing Everytime someone wants Teela to have a 'biological' father. Whether it's Duncan, Fisto or 'random soldier #3'

Just the idea of the all powerful and mysterious guardian of grayskull getting all 'XXX' in her free time drags this children's property into areas it DOES NOT belong.

And it IS a children't property. Whether your personal canon is based on the minis, Filmation or anyting else... MOTU is based on a TOY line for Children.

SOME of us want to KEEP it that way. I've already seen Spiderman, Daredevil and all the other 'kids characters' dragged kicking and screaming into the land of 'dark, Gritty, and sexy...' I want SOMETHING that I can still share with my 5 year old nephews. The same "I" was when Castle Grayskull first hit the market.

I have ZERO issue with Adults collecting toys. I have ZERO issue with adults enjoying things from thier childhood and reveling in cartoons and comics. I do that myself.

MY problem is when Adults want the children properties twisted and tailored to meet THEIR sensibilities. It's backward thinking and resulting of dumbing down children's shows to the point there is nothing 'good' to put the nephews in front of

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    I deleted that post because I re-thought it. But you are definitely pushing an agenda - anything to do with 200x. If you deny it, you're in denial.
    Go back and check out my post again...

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    I try to ignore the bios, and pretty much any new MOTU storytelling. In some ways, that might be unfortunate, but my interpretation on things is my preference. I can blame the Star Wars prequels and several other new takes on beloved 80's properties for that.

Many of us yearn for a better MOTU, or one that will wow us again. I do, but I usually end up more disappointed than not. The fact is, these bios don't really do it for most. Whether Netossa is one preference or another, that doesn't belong to Mattel, that belongs to each individual's own take on the character. I think general guidelines on what we know (He-Man fights Skeletor or Castle Grayskull holds the secrets of the universe) is all that should be present. I loathe the bios, but I know they are liked by some, and do justify more figs, which is good.

I guess to wrap this up, my advice to many is just ignore the bios, they will not conform to the better storytelling we can do on our own.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Look more closely.

i am DEEPLY offended and have commented often that Skeletor and Lyn 'getting it on' is wrong in this property. I ALSO commented the same thing Everytime someone wants Teela to have a 'biological' father. Whether it's Duncan, Fisto or 'random soldier #3'

Just the idea of the all powerful and mysterious guardian of grayskull getting all 'XXX' in her free time drags this children's property into areas it DOES NOT belong.

And it IS a children't property. Whether your personal canon is based on the minis, Filmation or anyting else... MOTU is based on a TOY line for Children.

SOME of us want to KEEP it that way. I've already seen Spiderman, Daredevil and all the other 'kids characters' dragged kicking and screaming into the land of 'dark, Gritty, and sexy...' I want SOMETHING that I can still share with my 5 year old nephews. The same "I" was when Castle Grayskull first hit the market.

I have ZERO issue with Adults collecting toys. I have ZERO issue with adults enjoying things from thier childhood and reveling in cartoons and comics. I do that myself.

MY problem is when Adults want the children properties twisted and tailored to meet THEIR sensibilities. It's backward thinking and resulting of dumbing down children's shows to the point there is nothing 'good' to put the nephews in front of
    There are Spider-Man things for children and teens, as well as the oldest crowd. The whole media gamut of the line doesn't have to be kiddie fare. In Transformers, there is media for the young kids, but there is media geared for older fans that I can enjoy too.

I agree on Skeletor and Evil-Lyn having a kid, but even Filmation didn't ban romantical relationships completely. The Wizard of Stone Mountain episode springs to mind, for example.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

IMO, the idea of changing the sexual orientation of existing MOTU characters for the sake of having gay characters is equivalent Peter Jackson deciding that he needed to do the same thing, for the same reason, with Lord of the Rings. Had he done so, it would've been out-of-place and heavy-handed, no matter what side of that issue you stand on.

There are Spider-Man things for children and teens, as well as the oldest crowd. The whole media gamut of the line doesn't have to be kiddie fare. In Transformers, there is media for the young kids, but there is media geared for older fans that I can enjoy too.
    While I do agree with what you're saying, I also think that the visual style and the tone of the storyline should complement one another. You wouldn't package a Batman: The Brave And The Bold action figure with an Arkham City comic, for example.

The 200X asthetic was perfect for more mature type of stories, but the Classic designs are simpler and less gritty, and so the accompanying stories should be as well. I'm okay with Mattel wanting to tell darker or more adult tales, but the Classics bios & minicomics are, IMO, not the place for it.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    While I do agree with what you're saying, I also think that the visual style and the tone of the storyline should complement one another. You wouldn't package a Batman: The Brave And The Bold action figure with an Arkham City comic, for example.

The 200X asthetic was perfect for more mature type of stories, but the Classic designs are simpler and less gritty, and so the accompanying stories should be as well. I'm okay with Mattel wanting to tell darker or more adult tales, but the Classics bios & minicomics are, IMO, not the place for it.
    The Classic designs aren't completely without maturity either. The Classic designs are the Pre-Filmation era designs, which are the most grittiest of stories in tone. Only in that era would you have He-Man threaten to make his axe drink Skeletor's blood or He-Man, Teela and Battle Cat have a discussion about killing demons while killing demons..

Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
    IMO, the idea of changing the sexual orientation of existing MOTU characters for the sake of having gay characters is equivalent Peter Jackson deciding that he needed to do the same thing, for the same reason, with Lord of the Rings. Had he done so, it would've been out-of-place and heavy-handed, no matter what side of that issue you stand on.
    Peter Jackson already changed so much things that are totally out-of-place
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

But some of us are adults who see things with adult eyes now. ROFLMAO!

I'm not pushing any agenda (coughmore200Xcough), but the same things that have impressed me at 6 don't register at 37. I just don't see things the same way anymore. Things from your childhood can mature along with you as Hasbro's Transformers and G.I. Joe have done. Not all of us are trying to relive the past. Some of us would like these MOTU characters that started off as toys to become legitimate literary characters like Batman.
    Thank you. I agree. It's about the story. I don't need a gay character just to have one... I'd want their sexual identity to be used to move the story along. We have no idea if characters like Tri-Klops, Man-E-Faces, Perfuma, Hydron, or The Enchantress are straight or gay... we don't know much about them at all lol... I look at this new canon as a means for giving us more levels... just as 200X did.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ozone View Post
    Well said folks.. I just like things the way they were. If the was a gay character the they should still be gay. But I'm not for the whole change thing like the zodac,, ZodaK thing. I like that motuc made them two separate characters. I like what I know. But I mean hey stratos dies and smaa in the bios if they make netossa a lesbian it's only words on paper and if it makes some people smile then I'm all for it. 30 years ago it was a different word. Wake up people its 2012. I'm not gay but hey there not the problem its the haters that can't get over someone else's happiness.
    Thank you too. The thing is, as I said above, there are a TON of characters who could be developed in a number of ways. Just because we know nothing about them beyond their good/evil affiliation and their super powers, doesn't mean they are automatically straight... just because they weren't labeled gay in the past doesn't mean they aren't. Doesn't mean they are either. It would just be nice if one or two were. It could be useful in a story... but only in the story... like Tri-Klops lost his partner in an attack, went blind due to the attack, and since then has been a homicidal maniac. That, to me, would be interesting.

Brian, never my intentions to offend you. I wouldn't do so intentionally. I don't have anything against anyone for being gay. Like anyone else, it's how they handle themselves as a person that I dislike (which has nothing to do with being gay). I respect you far more than most on these forums. As I have been quoted for stating, "BcrDuke for the win! Somebody get this man a medal!"
    Thank you (lots of thank you's).

I don't love feeling like the resident gay-watch, but I get tired of hearing gay fans complain about the Org and not participate in discussions like this.

I really appreciate your words. Trust me.

A character, like Netossa, for example, being gay, if the "gay" is used to flesh out the story, isn't something you couldn't share with your 5 year old nephews. They understand mommies & daddies... and boyfriends & girlfriends without knowing the hyper-sexual parts of that. You could simply say, "Yes, some women have boyfriends or husbands, and some have girlfriends or wives."

If one of your nephews is gay, you'd be giving him something inexplicably valuable. Believe me. "Happy Feet 2" did this kind of thing. It was remarkable.

This is the kind of thing I BEG all of you to consider... gay doesn't equal depraved. I know there are some who think it does... I can't change their minds unless they live with me and my partner for while . But I find this community REALLY intelligent, that's why I am making the effort.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

I don't believe sex or sexuality should appear in a childrens property at all. Young kids are too young to understand and it only opens up a can of worms. It doesn't matter whether it's heterosexual or homosexual. Let children be children. The problem these days is kids are growing up too fast and not getting the innocent childhood they deserve.

Besides do we really need to place labels on characters anyway? I personally ignore the bios, especially since main characters dying in a childrens property is a no no! I do not need it updated and tailored to an adults perspective of life. Instead I'll go watch a 15+ movie or tv show for that.
    8 figures I still need: 8/Perfuma (for completeness of POP ONLY!), 7/Filmation Tung Lashor, 6/Saurod, 5/Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina, 4/Peekablue, 3/Hunga the Harpy, 2/Filmation Clawful, 1/Dylamug.

Quote Originally Posted by blackiecats View Post
    I don't believe sex or sexuality should appear in a childrens property at all. Young kids are too young to understand and it only opens up a can of worms. It doesn't matter whether it's heterosexual or homosexual. Let children be children. The problem these days is kids are growing up too fast and not getting the innocent childhood they deserve.

Besides do we really need to place labels on characters anyway? I personally ignore the bios, especially since main characters dying in a childrens property is a no no! I do not need it updated and tailored to an adults perspective of life. Instead I'll go watch a 15+ movie or tv show for that.
    I don't really consider MOTUC to be a kids property... I mean, the mini-comics show He-Man beating the stuffing out of a Snake Man in order to steal his outfit... there's a definite infusion of blood, guts, and violence into MOTU nowadays... but that's beside the point.

If you say you don't want to see sexuality in this property, then, you have to remove the King & Queen's marriage. You can't talk about them being Adora and Adam's parents. You can't talk about Teela's mom being the Sorceress and whether or not she had a relationship with MAA or Fisto or no one.

You can't bar relationship archetypes for one type of people and permit archetypes for other types.

That's what I'm trying to say.

Again, I don't want a gay character just for the heck of it... but Netossa & Spinnerella, to use an example mentioned by some people here, is a good one, and could have been exploited to flesh out their backgrounds a bit, because they were presented in the cartoon as "companions."

So it would have been kind of a neat homage to the cartoon... which, was produced by a man with a lesbian daugter.

I just wish that gay people weren't relegated to being the subject of 15+ or hypersexual stories all the time, by people who aren't gay. It's unfair. I do not spend every minute of my day being sexual. My relationship has survived and continues to grow for 13 years not because of sex, but because of everything else from which a relationship grows.
    Last edited by bcrduke; October 7, 2012 at 06:32pm.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    I don't get some of the sentiments about sexuality in MOTUC that I see here. Now i'm not advocating make He-Man feel like a smut film. I'm not saying make it like Conan. But for heavens sake I think characters can have children. I'm not saying it needs to be shown or needs to be described. But seriously, Adam is the child of Randor and Marlena. That means Randor and Marlena had sex. Guess what kids, that's where babies come from.

I have no problem with Skeletor (Keldor) and Evil-Lyn having a child. Heck to be honest I wish that Man-at-Arms was a Teela's biological father. I think the only reason he was ever her adopted father was because of silly social standards that people can only have kids if they are married. Plus you know the Sorceress had a job too. The 80's would have exploded.

Sometimes it just all makes my head spin. He-man can kick the living crap out of his enemies but heaven's forbid that someone may have had sex off camera.

Gay relationships/characters should be no different. I don't think I can deliver my points better on that subject than bcrduke did above me
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by guy-dude View Post
    I feel like it could be addressed in a non-addressing manner. For example, talk about how Netossa and Spinnerella are partners, but phrase it in a way that could be inferred either in combat or in private. It's canon they fight together, and those who want a gay-friendly character or two can pair them up.
    Why must it be left vague? Stating that two characters are "together," gay or straight, should not require obfuscation.

- - - Updated - - -

What about the transgender characters? How about representation for them?
    How about it? Great idea.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KingHe-Man View Post
    Look, this is a toy, cartoon and characters from our childhood. We now are adults and regardless of who we are now and the lives we live, sex and things like that have no place in our childhood. What we remember or what we rekindle with this toy, comic or any other form should be for us and children and sex has no place. Enjoy being a kid again and stop trying to put our personal agendas in things that it has no place in.
    Please do not speak for me or my childhood. No one is trying to sex up your favorite cartoon. Why are you equating the mention of a gay couple with an attempt to incorporate sex? They are not the same thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    Please don't make a joke of gbl or trans people. It's unacceptable.

And guess what, straight friends. I'm the same Brian now as I was in the 80s when it comes to my identity.

You are suggesting that gay people have somehow changed upon becoming adults. If they have, it's usually in such a way that they stop pretending to be straight.

I have to deal with your straight "agenda" every time I read about Evil-Lyn & Keldor being married secretly and having a kid, or Marlena & Randor being married and having kids, or Bow being in love with Adora, etc. etc. etc.

For once, it would be nice to read something I, and the hundreds of other gbl He-Fans could relate to, without other fans, who have no idea what it feels like to be constantly marginalized, telling us that apparently God made a mistake and we shouldn't be pushing our "agenda."

I'm so tired of people who just can't deal with reality using the idea that gay people have some kind of agenda to keep from accepting the fact that we are just as normal as you.

It's a crap-shoot. We don't get to choose who we are with respect to sexual identity, and if you've actually chosen, then perhaps you're living a lie? therefore you don't get to label my identity or my actions as an "agenda.". That label is so incredibly offensive. It makes me want to leave the Org and never look back.

Of all the condescending, self-important things to say. "pushing" an "agenda?"

I love how that kind of thinly veiled prejudice is tolerated by people... Even so-called friends here tolerate it.

I haven't seen ANY of you complain about this being a toy line from our childhoods that should be devoid of sexual identity when it was revealed that Lyn & Keldor had a kid.

Hypocrisy.

News for you: Spinnerella and Netossa were written in the old cartoon as companions. I find that innocently wonderful. It's OBVIOUS that they could be considered partners in MOTUC without ruining everything for you.
    Well said. The "pushing an agenda" line was particularly offensive--though one would hope it was out of ignorance rather than malice.

- - - Updated - - -

Look more closely.

How does the mere mention of a gay character drag MOTU into the land of dark, sexy, and gritty? I'm sorry but implying that it does is just plain ignorant.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
    How is this changing the sexual orientation of the character? Where was it stated that Netossa is straight? The fact that you or anyone else assume that all characters are straight is part of the problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, but don't speak for me or my kids. My son turned 4 yesterday and he is aware that some families have a mommy and daddy, some have only one, some have two mommies, and some have two daddies. His head didn't explode and his childhood was not ruined by this information.

Well it is an adult line.........

you are right gay means happy and homoSEXual means sex.
    He who has the Power rules the Universe, and I HAVE THE POWER!!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Umm...what?

What? Yes, Gay means Happy. But that was back in the late 50's and 60's! The word have undergone changes to reflect and define a group of people who are into people of the same sex. And Homosexual does "NOT" mean sex! Again, it's another work to describe a person who are into people who are of the same sex.
    Last edited by Marvelous0ne; October 7, 2012 at 10:15pm.
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

I agree with this completely. Some parents are fine with it but many others aren't. As a toy company it's probably beneficial to error on the side of caution. As far as Evil Lyn and Keldor having a son....it serves a purpose in that it gives us a new character. Randor and Marlena served a purpose...gave us Adam and Adora. Offspring bring new characters which leads to new figures. Netossa's sexual preference doesn't do that. The bios are just a generalized background for a character, not the furthering of the story IMO. They'll never be considered a literary masterpiece. That's for our imaginations to take over and fill in the gaps. If they were to expand the line with new media or books (or even put these kind of details in the new comics) that's fine. I don't see pitch forks being raised. However, I just don't see it adding to the line or leading to new figures to change the word companion to girlfriend. Seems unnecessary for the card back of a toy.

My question was meant in a positive way and I am sad (not sorry, because I intend to keep advocating to have the relationship between Spinnerella and Netossa made official) that it has started such a heated debate.

Bow is "secretly in love with Adora", the ending of "The Problem with Power" speaks for itself where Teela and He-Man are concerned. Evil-Lyn and Keldor where in love at some point.

Straight romanticism is already present in MOTU and for that matter it's present even in Mickey Mouse cartoons where Minnie Mouse is his girlfriend. What people are protesting against here is gay romanticism.

That summarizes the whole deal. And since this has nothing to do with my question that was about a character's bio, not an idealogical discussion on gay rights (which to my knowledge should go to the Tar Swamp, right?) that's all I am going to say.
    JOIN THE GREAT REBELLION - COLLECTOR'S CLUB TODAY!
    http://www.facebook.com/TGRClub

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    My question was meant in a positive way and I am sad (not sorry, because I intend to keep advocating to have the relationship between Spinnerella and Netossa made official) that it has started such a heated debate.

Bow is "secretly in love with Adora", the ending of "The Problem with Power" speaks for itself where Teela and He-Man are concerned. Evil-Lyn and Keldor where in love at some point.

Straight romanticism is already present in MOTU and for that matter it's present even in Mickey Mouse cartoons where Minnie Mouse is his girlfriend. What people are protesting against here is gay romanticism.

That summarizes the whole deal. And since this has nothing to do with my question that was about a character's bio, not an idealogical discussion on gay rights (which to my knowledge should go to the Tar Swamp, right?) that's all I am going to say.
    Hey man, don't apologize.

And I don't think the debate is all that heated. People have been expressing their points of view and everyone has remained civil.

I, for one, find this conversation more interesting than the 500th iteration of "What color should __________'s feet be?"

So, Fleshing out the characters is a bad thing? Oh, mentioning a characters Sexuality is the bad thing?
    After wandering through Despondos™ for several centuries and unable to return to Eternia®, Hordak® and his ageless army eventually claimed Etheria as a new throne world, deposing the local monarchs and ruling the people through fear. A nobleman in Queen Angella’s court, Kyle was one of many brave warriors who took up arms against the Horde invaders and joined the Great Rebellion. Nicknamed “Bow™” due to his natural ability as an archer, each of his arrows possesses different powers and he has a magical heart that beats frantically when She-Ra™ is in danger. Bow™ is secretly in love with Princess Adora, unaware that she and She-Ra™ are one and the same!
    OK Here's Bow's bio summarized: Something something Hordak's story. Bow is not an important Rebel. He's an archer and not gay. Really, He is not gay!
    If Mattel went so out of their way to show Bow's heterosexuality, why can't we have a gay character? Spinnerella and Netossa are perfect candidates due to their role in Filmation.

Now there's plenty of characters that need fleshing out and small things like: what would be the perfect person for Character X to date, What does Character Y do in his/her free time when not Fighting, or does Character Z prefers a strong drink or Milk when he or she goes to a bar can HELP Flesh out these characters! Now this is important because if we want the brand to move beyond being a simple toyline; we NEED to have more than a bunch of 1-dimensional beings.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

I agree with CHris Ware,

Don't apologise man, for the question, I for one had no idea on the the characters history with Spineralla but it makes sense and adds deepth to the character i wasnt seeing before. While it may not be mentioned by mattel it is now apart of my MOTU canon and without your question that idea may have past me by. SOme thank you for that.

But as for your point is vailid that its ashame the question started a debate but personally i think its a shame we have these debates still come up in the modern world.

Heroic Warrior
    This.

As He-dad pointed out. A lot of parents do not believe that a toy line is the proper place for such subjects. Also, since its impossible to state such a thing without 'offending' some people... I REALLY don't believe this is the correct forum to have the debates about what is and isn't considered 'acceptable' for children.

Bottom line is, if Mattel makes that leap in a thowaway bio like this. They are making a political statement that can and will alienate a large portion of thier customer base. If they do NOT include these elements... they loose NOTHING.

He-man and She-ra ALREADY have a large number of Gay fans. Obvioulsy, there was SOMETHING in the property that they were able to relate to.... WITHOUT the express mentioning of who pairs up with who.
    Theres no REASON for them to DO that... and PLENTY of reason NOT to.