Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I can't tell for sure... but are Rattlor's shoulders reversed?

I can't tell for sure... but are Rattlor's shoulders reversed?

Before anybody jumps on me... I can't say this with 100% certainity, BUT...

I was looking at the Rattlor I picked up for my youngest son today, and I noticed that the scales on his shoulders had a tough time matching up with the arms. I had to get him into a "Hey, want a hug?" pose before they would match up. So I started looking at it from all angles, and from the upper angle I could tell that the scales look like they might be angling from a reversed angle from what might have been intended-

Looking at that pic, it seems the scales angle in towards the back more than they angle in towards the chest. This causes you to have to swing out the arms so that the scales allign right with the biceps. If you reverse the shoulders though, the scales angle in towards the chest and have an easier time of lining up. It is especially noticeable on Rattlor's left arm.

I put these together with some quick photoshopping to show how it would look if the shoulders were reversed. Admittedly, this is a quick, crappy job- But I really think it looks better from all angles with the switch.

Again, I could 100% be wrong on this. When I noticed the Hssss shoulders way back when, the difference was a lot more obvious. It took some looking at Rattlor before I even started thinking something seemed odd. I went back and looked at pictures of the Snakemen 2-pack, and although the paint isn't there to make it as noticeable, it looks like the shoulder placement is the same. Even the Rattlor shown at conventions looks like it may have been assembled this way, so it could be what was intended to begin with. Or it could have been an early error that just was never caught. I don't know. I just know that it seems backwards to me and I thought others might think the same.

Would be great if the 4H could chime in and say which way the shoulders were intended to go- Scales angling in towards the chest or in towards the back.

Sallah

honestly, I can't tell with any of the figures with reversed shoulders. It took forever and a day for anyone to notice it on the first He-Man. Is it even worth pointing out and breaking out the torches and pitch forks over?

I can never tell with these things either...heck it took someone pointing out in one of my pics that my MAA had reversed FEET, but that is most likely due to his janky ankle keeping him inside a wind raider at all times.
    http://www.DoomKick.com -Toys reviews, news, and a whole lot of Kicking!

Quote Originally Posted by CrashWatchman View Post
    honestly, I can't tell with any of the figures with reversed shoulders. It took forever and a day for anyone to notice it on the first He-Man. Is it even worth pointing out and breaking out the torches and pitch forks over?
    Not trying to do that at all... That is why I went out of my way to say it is really hard to notice and I am no way saying that I know for certain it is. I just thought it looked a bit strange and I wanted to confirm if I am just seeing things or not. That is all.

Even if it is reversed, I don't think it interferes with the figure really (unlike Hsss and Roboto). I am just curious if it was intended.

Sallah

Sitting high upon the Eternian porcelain throne.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashWatchman View Post
    Too late...I've already begun lighting my torch.

Quote Originally Posted by Fug-Lee-Faces View Post
    Too late...I've already begun lighting my torch.
    *Grabs extinguisher* Dude! You're gonna get me in trouble!

Again- This is all wasn't to start a riot. I just wanted to know which way was intended. Some folks may like it as-is. I just felt it worked a little better in the other direction and wanted to see which way is the "right" way.

Sallah

Heroic Warrior
    I haven't received my figure yet but I would like to know how the horsemen originally designed. Good catch and interesting photos
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar
    Maybe if you can't tell whether they're reversed or not, it means that it doesnt matter
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by oulala View Post
    Maybe if you can't tell whether they're reversed or not, it means that it doesnt matter
    Well, like I said, they actually do look a little strange to me. That is why I am asking if they were intended to look that way or not.

Sallah

Ban the interloper!

I think mine are fine....being a customizer, it's easy to see when you have it in hand, but it takes a little looking through a blister....but the peg for the shoulders should be closer to the back of the figure than the chest....look down into the socket and you can see....the shoulders on the regular figures are easy to tell by looking at the muscles, but on Rattlor, yeah it is a bit tricky at first glance....

Also the shoulder tan scales are smaller than the bicep scales, maybe that plays a part making it an optical illusion....

Quote Originally Posted by oulala View Post
    And yeah, if they are reversed it would matter....I just had to fix my Frosta....I didn't want Stinkor funking my room up smelling like a freshly baked hippie, or I would have opened him and fixed him too....I also had to fix my She-Ra Filmation style head, and my He-Man head, because the hair was too high, and the improper placement caused her to look down more than usual.

Fortunately my Swiftwind is perfect....

Sometimes just because one person can't tell, doesn't mean others won't....if something looks off, it probably is, either in Mattel translation of sculpt to figure, or something else Mattel or their vendor jacked up.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; October 26, 2012 at 12:03pm.
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Good catch Sallah! and I have to commend you for bringing it up in a non-provoking manner.

Rule of thumbs is, if something looks wrong, it is wrong. Contrary to the popular belief, A good design (of anything) is more objective than subjective. It has to both function and look well.

I think it is an error, but the texture hiding it makes it a minor one. I wouldn't be bothered by it, but I would understand if a fellow collector would feel irked with it.
    "If it looks like a duck, acts like a duck, and sounds like a duck, then it is a GAR "

By the way, I haven't seen any pics surface of Rattlor, but I can tell he's painted....is he giving anyone issues with the paint coming off? I opened my others, but I am not opening the ones that have the really horrible paint issues....Spikor, Mek, DB Skeletor....but Rattlor, I don't know if he's to be another casualty or not....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Yes get the pitchforks out boys it's time to be an angry mob again. Arahaahar ahharahat harahahaha
    http://Motu.com.co
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

Looks backwards to me from your pics.

I'm not lighting any torches. All I can do is giggle at it - but I didn't buy him.

Quote Originally Posted by Sallah View Post

I was looking at the Rattlor I picked up for my youngest son today, and I noticed that the scales on his shoulders had a tough time matching up with the arms. I had to get him into a "Hey, want a hug?" pose before they would match up. So I started looking at it from all angles, and from the upper angle I could tell that the scales look like they might be angling from a reversed angle from what might have been intended-

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...fe/noticed.jpg

Looking at that pic, it seems the scales angle in towards the back more than they angle in towards the chest. This causes you to have to swing out the arms so that the scales allign right with the biceps. If you reverse the shoulders though, the scales angle in towards the chest and have an easier time of lining up. It is especially noticeable on Rattlor's left arm.

I put these together with some quick photoshopping to show how it would look if the shoulders were reversed. Admittedly, this is a quick, crappy job- But I really think it looks better from all angles with the switch.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...idecompare.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...ontcompare.jpg

Again, I could 100% be wrong on this. When I noticed the Hssss shoulders way back when, the difference was a lot more obvious. It took some looking at Rattlor before I even started thinking something seemed odd. I went back and looked at pictures of the Snakemen 2-pack, and although the paint isn't there to make it as noticeable, it looks like the shoulder placement is the same. Even the Rattlor shown at conventions looks like it may have been assembled this way, so it could be what was intended to begin with. Or it could have been an early error that just was never caught. I don't know. I just know that it seems backwards to me and I thought others might think the same.

Would be great if the 4H could chime in and say which way the shoulders were intended to go- Scales angling in towards the chest or in towards the back.

Sallah
    I was playing around with my Rattlor last night and noticed this also. I am going to experiment on my son's Rattlor when I get home and see how it looks.
    View my collection and customs HERE!

I just compared some pics of Rattlor and the Snake Man, the shoulders are the same on both....so either neither are wrong, or they both are.

Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Quote Originally Posted by Smashtoys View Post
    Good catch Sallah! and I have to commend you for bringing it up in a non-provoking manner.

Rule of thumbs is, if something looks wrong, it is wrong. Contrary to the popular belief, A good design (of anything) is more objective than subjective. It has to both function and look well.

I think it is an error, but the texture hiding it makes it a minor one. I wouldn't be bothered by it, but I would understand if a fellow collector would feel irked with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    Looks backwards to me from your pics.

I'm not lighting any torches. All I can do is giggle at it - but I didn't buy him.
    Quote Originally Posted by jerec350 View Post
    I was playing around with my Rattlor last night and noticed this also. I am going to experiment on my son's Rattlor when I get home and see how it looks.
    Gald to hear I am not just crazy in thinking it looks reversed...

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    I just compared some pics of Rattlor and the Snake Man, the shoulders are the same on both....so either neither are wrong, or they both are.
    Yeah, I don't have the 2-pack, but it looked the same in the pics I looked up this morning. Most of the shots of Rattlor at conventions are frontal, but it looks the same there too.

Which means either it was intended that way, or it was reversed very early on. My thought is reversed early on, just because how well the scales would apparently match up if they were reversed... but only the 4H would know for sure.

Sallah

Snappy Threader
    I checked mine over, and it seems to be somewhat of an optical illusion because of the thickness of the yellow scales being thick, to thin to thick again on the bicep.

I'm not saying you're trying to stir the pot, but I genuinely can't see it.

The left and right shoulders look nearly identical - the angling of the scales is slight, so it doesn't appear to be a big deal at all.

But I do find it amazing that they just can't get this right after so many years. They just can't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by iron_pride View Post
    I checked mine over, and it seems to be somewhat of an optical illusion because of the thickness of the yellow scales being thick, to thin to thick again on the bicep.
    It is more how they allign that throws it off for me. It takes swinging the arm out quite a bit to get the large blue scales to line up. It seems they would line up "at rest" if the shoulders were reversed.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    I'm not saying you're trying to stir the pot, but I genuinely can't see it.
    Nope. Not trying to stir the pot. I tried to make that as clear as possible in the post. It looks a bit odd to me and was curious about it.

Sallah

I'm Anime Hyper-Detailed Battle_Brak's Avatar
    No I think they are on correctly even if they don't line up so well with the bicep piece on the side. I'm fairly certain they are correct because the muscle folds on the smoother areas match up with those on the human figures that have the shoulders assembled correctly.
    Last edited by Battle_Brak; October 26, 2012 at 12:27pm. Reason: fixed a typo
    Check out my various dinosaur sculptures: http://he-man.org/forums/boards/show...re-in-progress

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post

http://doomkick.com/wp-content/uploa...wo-pack-17.jpg

http://pixel-dan.com/wp-content/uplo...ttlorThumb.jpg
    "It's a design choice™"

HE-MAN, It's a design choice and associated trademarks are owned by Mattel, Inc. and used under license from Mattel Europa, B.V. © 2012 Mattel, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
    "If it looks like a duck, acts like a duck, and sounds like a duck, then it is a GAR "

Quote Originally Posted by Sallah View Post

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...fe/noticed.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...idecompare.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...ontcompare.jpg

Sallah
    the photoshopped version to me looks wrong. completely. from a artistice point of view the pattern of the scales should flow with the back scales not the chest.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    the photoshopped version to me looks wrong. completely.
    Interesting... I just figured the blue/ yellow scales should flow into the arm while it is "at rest" (which is what I tried to illustrate in the photoshop) instead of not matching up.

Like I said though, some folks may prefer it as-is.

Sallah