Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC Mini-Comic Q&A Thread 2012 (SPOILERS)

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    An evil sorceress who was feared the same as any of Skeletor's collection of monsters...

and that was COOL. I LIKED her as a strong powerful bad guy who could stand with the big boys and hold her own...
    Yes - this is Evil-Lyn.

The baby-momma/love interest stuff is hideous. I utterly reject it.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Ok I know this has probably been asked before but between the MYP and the "New" Mattel cannon why did so many characters get killed or their histories changed?

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    Yes - this is Evil-Lyn.

The baby-momma/love interest stuff is hideous. I utterly reject it.
    I agree. I don't think making her a mom gives her depth, I think it takes away from the character's edge. I don't buy that someone who is obsessed with power and destruction would hear her biological clock ticking, or give a damn if she did.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

If the Snake Men's DNA was split apart with the Spell of Separation, then was Mekaneck saved and restored to normal?
    Mekaneck was changed into a Snake Man, not a Snake Man that was created. The Spell didn't kill him, but it didn't change him back either.
    lolwut?
    Seriously, I cannot understand the reply.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    I agree. I don't think making her a mom gives her depth, I think it takes away from the character's edge. I don't buy that someone who is obsessed with power and destruction would hear her biological clock ticking, or give a damn if she did.
    Even real life villains have normal things that they could want. Skeletor is one of Eternia's worst villains, but he has a soft spot for animals as seen with Panthor. Despite being power-hungry, Evil-Lyn could want an heir. Or maybe the baby is a pawn to manipulate his father.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    The only.... ONLY ONLY ONLY way I could accept the 'baby mama' storyline... is if they dredged up a lot MORE of the Pre-filmation canon.

Back in the OLD days... Skeletor had a serious plot going on where his secondary goal was to marry teela.

LAME...

HOWEVER.... If it was ALL tied together... With Skeletor believing the need of an heir... and captures goddess/sorceress.... And fails... CLONES Sorceress into Teela.... fails.... and finally travels in time to get Evil Lyn SOLELY for breeding purposes... it COULD become nefarious....

Matty hasn't GONE that in depth, and as such it reads like a cheap soap opera...

make it a little more prophecy/bloodline stuff....

Not that I LIKE the prophecy stuff we already have... I think that ANYONE who gets the sword of power can gain the powers of Grayskull... not JUST the descendants of the dude who looted He-ro's corpse

But if they HAVE to go 'bloodline' routes... lets go all the way!!

The MOTUC storyline is sinking into "Blaire Witch Project" syndrome. At first blush, you have a great time, it's new, it's exciting. But when you start to actually think about what was going on, you find more holes than an a fridge full of swiss cheese. In fact, I think this is called "fridge logic" in many writing circles. It describes any plot on a TV show that keeps you engaged while you watch, but which utterly falls apart as soon as you open the fridge for a snack and have a moment to reflect.
    Wolfman Jake

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    Ok I know this has probably been asked before but between the MYP and the "New" Mattel cannon why did so many characters get killed or their histories changed?
    Short answer: It's Toyguru's canon.

Long answer: TG tried to merge all of the separate canons into his own one unified storyline that provides the most character options for the line. Originally, he used MYP and mini-comic canon and style guide information. Now he's added Filmation to the mix. The canon is basically MYP, but he's altered the ideas the writers had going into season three into his own ideas (the Sorceress was recovering from Hsss in MYP, not dying from his venom. Snake Man-At-Arms would have been restored to normal. Evil-Lyn was Keldor's old flame, but she didn't have his love child.)

So, pretty much, Scott took things too far. Again, I would like to bring up that this is why a whole creative team is needed to flesh out a good story with a property like this. There have to be checks and ballances so that one writer can't single-handedly run a story into the ground with poorly thought-out ideas.
    Wolfman Jake

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by bamf1980 View Post
    Regarding possible deaths, I think the question we need to really be asking is this one:

Where were Battle Cat and Swift Wind during the final battle with Hordak/Skeletor?
    They were both killed off-panel by Beast-mans' Griffins

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman Jake View Post
    So, pretty much, Scott took things too far. Again, I would like to bring up that this is why a whole creative team is needed to flesh out a good story with a property like this. There have to be checks and ballances so that one writer can't single-handedly run a story into the ground with poorly thought-out ideas.
    Bahhhh... wouldn't have made a difference. MOST comic properties DO have whole creative teams working on them.... and the forums are full of people complaining that they 'ruined' the story.

Heck as was pointed out... MYP brought in more than it's fair share of horrible ideas too... 'fisto <3 sorceress?'

Simple fact is that NOTHING will please EVERYONE. I was absolutely LIVID with Cyclops dying offscreen in X-3... THEY had checks and balances

The MOTUC storyline is sinking into "Blaire Witch Project" syndrome. At first blush, you have a great time, it's new, it's exciting. But when you start to actually think about what was going on, you find more holes than an a fridge full of swiss cheese. In fact, I think this is called "fridge logic" in many writing circles. It describes any plot on a TV show that keeps you engaged while you watch, but which utterly falls apart as soon as you open the fridge for a snack and have a moment to reflect.
    I still think the bios generally do a good job about merging the separate continuities together. I like the idea of the multiple He-Men of antiquity and the character being a legendary figure that even ancients knew of. Pre-Filmation and NA in particular are handled pretty well, even getting more ingrained within the normal storylines of Filmation and MYP canon. The problem I have with the bios is the shock value, the limitations of the format (we can't see the impact of great changes) and the lack of considering the world that the characters live in. Although some MOTU fans can be stereotyped as stagnant, overprotective and fearful toward change, I think occasionally TG validates their cautious arguments with changes to the world that are either far too radical or forget about characters who would work better than those he had chosen.

If He-Man was going to nobly self-sacrifice himself to stop Skeletor and Duncan clobbered him from behind and took his place, I'd like that better. Or if Duncan held off impossible odds in order to buy He-Man and his allies some precious time to stop Skeletor. Even if these heroic things were done, make it plausible in the MOTU world. Meaning, if Duncan can be saved while at death's door with magic, let him be saved. Seriously...the Castle holds all of the secrets to the universe. The antidote or counterspell to the Snake Men should have been a book on the shelf. While I'm not against death in MOTU, I'd think that these warriors are the best in the universe. They should be legendary and very, very hard to kill. If one does die, it should be an epic moment that serves the story and allows for the growth and progression of characters. Not mere shock value.

I'm still smarting over the idea that the heroic master of capture couldn't restrain MAA. Isn't that Clamp Champ's power? That's what I mean by "a lack on consideration toward the world that the characters live in". This guy can catch an arrow fired by a ninja who is behind him with his hand. Orko, Teela and Castaspella can all cast spells (and Casta is the most qualified to do this-- Teela might be Sorceress, but she's new to magic and Orko seems to be the last guy you want near such a powerful spell), yet Orko is the guy that they trust to do it?

Like I said. Fridge logic
    Wolfman Jake

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post

Long answer: TG tried to merge all of the separate canons into his own one unified storyline that provides the most character options for the line. Originally, he used MYP and mini-comic canon and style guide information. Now he's added Filmation to the mix. The canon is basically MYP, but he's altered the ideas the writers had going into season three into his own ideas (the Sorceress was recovering from Hsss in MYP, not dying from his venom. Snake Man-At-Arms would have been restored to normal. Evil-Lyn was Keldor's old flame, but she didn't have his love child.)
    So like he said before you can "make up" your own cannon if you like??

Sorry Teela is NOT A clone
    And a bunch of other ideas that seemed like they should have been made by just more than one person...

I've got a proposition for Toyguru, something that will, I think, go a long way with engaging and pleasing the fans through another component of the franchise. Just like fans got a chance to design their own MOTUC figures, how about having a fan writing contest? Pick the fan with the best way to either save Duncan or give him a proper (heroic) send off. Scott can choose the rules and parameters of the story, but I think it would be fun to contribute to the MOTUC canon in an official capacity. Best of all, this should cost Mattel almost nothing. No need for new tooling or development time to make a figure. It's just printed words, that can be put into production at any time.
    Wolfman Jake

So like he said before you can "make up" your own cannon if you like??
    Sure, he did. And a lot of fans do that. They also take what works from the bios and ignore the things that don't work. But the official canon's influences on the brand isn't something that fans might not be able to completely ignore.

Sorry Teela is NOT A clone
    And a bunch of other ideas that seemed like they should have been made by just more than one person...
    That idea comes from the old mini-comics, not Toyguru himself. I do think he used that plot idea to avoid Teela being Fisto's daughter. Fisto even lost his vintage reddish hair in Classics.

- - - Updated - - -

I've got a proposition for Toyguru, something that will, I think, go a long way with engaging and pleasing the fans through another component of the franchise. Just like fans got a chance to design their own MOTUC figures, how about having a fan writing contest? Pick the fan with the best way to either save Duncan or give him a proper (heroic) send off. Scott can choose the rules and parameters of the story, but I think it would be fun to contribute to the MOTUC canon in an official capacity. Best of all, this should cost Mattel almost nothing. No need for new tooling or development time to make a figure. It's just printed words, that can be put into production at any time.
    That'll never happen! TG wants total control over the story.

Hey, a wolfman can dream, can't he?
    Wolfman Jake

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Even real life villains have normal things that they could want. Skeletor is one of Eternia's worst villains, but he has a soft spot for animals as seen with Panthor. Despite being power-hungry, Evil-Lyn could want an heir. Or maybe the baby is a pawn to manipulate his father.
    Megamaxey an expert on villainy and villainous motivations?
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

I gotta say thank you to Scott then because , to me, he just took things out of the kiddy camp.

check out my my art:
    http://ayotaartwork.deviantart.com/gallery/

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    If He-Man was going to nobly self-sacrifice himself to stop Skeletor and Duncan clobbered him from behind and took his place, I'd like that better. Or if Duncan held off impossible odds in order to buy He-Man and his allies some precious time to stop Skeletor. Even if these heroic things were done, make it plausible in the MOTU world. Meaning, if Duncan can be saved while at death's door with magic, let him be saved. Seriously...the Castle holds all of the secrets to the universe. The antidote or counterspell to the Snake Men should have been a book on the shelf. While I'm not against death in MOTU, I'd think that these warriors are the best in the universe. They should be legendary and very, very hard to kill. If one does die, it should be an epic moment that serves the story and allows for the growth and progression of characters. Not mere shock value.
    Here be someone who understands the heroic story...
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

I think we've all puzzled over the odd "Spade" symbol on the chest harness of Toyguru's own MOTUC creation, The Mighty Spector. It's finally hit me what the significance of that is! Look up folklore and superstition surrounding the ace of spades in a deck of cards. Toyguru is Eternia's own Angle of Death!
    Wolfman Jake

Sure, he did. And a lot of fans do that. They also take what works from the bios and ignore the things that don't work. But the official canon's influences on the brand isn't something that fans might not be able to completely ignore.

That idea comes from the old mini-comics, not Toyguru himself. I do think he used that plot idea to avoid Teela being Fisto's daughter. Fisto even lost his vintage reddish hair in Classics.

- - - Updated - - -

I know the idea came from the mini comics it was bad then and it's a bad idea now...

The Godess I can accept "Clone" Teela naa....

And why avoid the MYP Fisto/Teela Father/Daughter story that would have been a good story...Someone should sit down and make a REAL Bible that includes Mini Comics,Filmation,NA,MYP And other sources (For Real not taking bits and pieces here & there)

And sorry after watching and seeing how bad ass Skeletor was in MYP compared to other versions you then make him "Powerless" in the new stories??? It doesn't make sense I can say he-man has black hair and rides a purple & white dog in my mythos but it wouldn't be true....

I know the idea came from the mini comics it was bad then and it's a bad idea now...

The Godess I can accept "Clone" Teela naa....

And why avoid the MYP Fisto/Teela Father/Daughter story that would have been a good story...Someone should sit down and make a REAL Bible that includes Mini Comics,Filmation,NA,MYP And other sources (For Real not taking bits and pieces here & there)
    Fans didn't want her to be related to Fisto in the bios. TG heard them and used her mini-comic origin.
    He didn't have the rights to Filmation at the time. Even if he did, TG doesn't have mysteries in the bios.

Castle Grayskull was once built by unknown hands. Now we know Tytus built the Castle.
    The identity of Teela's father was a mystery. Now we know that she had no father.
    Queen Marlena hinted at knowing that her son was He-Man. Now we know that Marlena is well aware of that fact.

If he chose the wrong father for Teela, it would have been an uproar. So he went with the mini-comic origin, which existed before.

And sorry after watching and seeing how bad ass Skeletor was in MYP compared to other versions you then make him "Powerless" in the new stories??? It doesn't make sense I can say he-man has black hair and rides a purple & white dog in my mythos but it wouldn't be true....
    King Hsss took his Havoc Staff when he beat Skeletor in the Episode 40 comic, so I guess Skeletor came up with the Battle Armor, Dragon Blaster and Terror Claws outfits as substitute power-ups.

King Hsss took his Havoc Staff when he beat Skeletor in the Episode 40 comic, so I guess Skeletor came up with the Battle Armor, Dragon Blaster and Terror Claws outfits as substitute power-ups.
    Didn΄t he built the Battle Armor to temporary pass the mystic wall and stole Adora together with Pravhus or am i confusing something here?

Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    Didn΄t he built the Battle Armor to temporary pass the mystic wall and stole Adora together with Pravhus or am i confusing something here?
    Yes, he did. He rebuilt the armor in modern times, but it was weaker. Oo-Lar destroyed it during the Great Unrest.