Thread: Masters of the Universe Classics Ethnography

Masters of the Universe Classics Ethnography

Hello fellow fans,
    I don't often post but I do spend a fair chunk of my time checking the boards. I'm teaching a freshman composition course but the curriculum I've been given is not very traditional. Anyways, I have to do the projects a bit before the students and I want to use the Org as the "discourse community" I examine. I try to work my love for pop culture, which in my field I treat as modern mythology, into all of my endeavors. For instance, when I was able to design my own curriculum I had my students do reviews of basically anything they wanted to. I showed them Pixel Dan's review of Battle Cat as an example. I also do themed PowerPoint presentations. Tomorrow I'll use Star Trek TNG to discuss the ethnography project, having students liken themselves to Data in their search for humanity by understanding the diverse groups that compose the world around them. I digress. I'd really be appreciative of any input anyone wants to offer. I will need to quote your feedback in the paper and I'd use your poster name unless otherwise directed.

Here's some of the info I need to get from the prompt:

Interview at least one member of the discourse community. Record and transcribe the interview. You might ask things like, “How long have you been here? Why are you involved? What type of documents do you regularly produce? What “rules” for communication are members of your community expected to adhere to? What do you consider most important in good writing or good communication? What do X, Y, and Z words mean? How did you learn to write A, B, or C?”

If this is fruitful I may mine the forums more when time comes for me to do my dissertation. I'm very serious about the usefulness of these properties in understanding our modern mythology and I hope to make a career of making people aware of the richness of our community and our plastic mythos.

As a sign of my participation, I've posted pictures of my collection in the MOTUC forum.

Thanks in advance. - Deadpool-Man

I would love to help you out but im a little confuzed about what you need is it a detailed explanaition for why we collect toys for me its because all during my live growing up my farther would talk me into selling my toys I would get a nearly compleat collection of transformers

My farther would brag about it at work and someone would say to him oh yea sell em to me so he would come home and say hey im selling your toys box em up ill buy you more repeattably tho every collection I ever had so now that my farther is dead God rest his soul im getting even with him with every toy I buy

Knowing there is no way he can come by and sell all my toys on me ever again from beyond the grave I know there has to be some sort of phycological explanation there but thats why I feel why my compullsion with toys has lingered well into adulthood.anyways hope this helps you and good luck

Thanks braxsis364!
    What you've provided is a collecting narrative, a "how I came to collecting" origin story. Your account is fascinating, and if warrants much analysis. I believe the really great part of collecting is that these figures are more than toys on the shelf. We find our identity, our bio, our story, here.
    I'm looking for more information about why He-Man.org is your choice of sites to use. I've populated my paper mainly with narratives of events on the Org that have shaped the line and how members and their interaction reaffirm the Org's motto. We truly do have "the power."
    So I could use more information from members, like how long they've been a part of the Org, what brought them here, why they stay, and how, or if, they view the Org as a discourse community with unique forms of communication, practices, power structures, and other features that may be difficult for an outsider to understand and/or need further investigation.
    I'm an observer by nature and my paper, in a rough form, is already double its need length. My argument is well defended as well: the Org's diverse members make it as rich as the world of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe. And just like the appeal of the vintage line, there are many action features here that make for great playability.
    Thanks again!