Thread: Can A Guitarist Answer A Question?

Apokoliptian Ravager Mr. Roboto's Avatar

Can A Guitarist Answer A Question?

I was reading an interview with Poison lead guitarist CC Deville and he revealed that although he was left handed, he played right handed because his father didn't want him buying custom made guitar. I think Joan Jett's a lefty who plays right handed too.

Is a custom guitar for a left handed person that expensive?
    "Once a symbol of terror, I will make this a symbol of honor."

Depend on your taste, even Paul McCartney Plays on the left handed guitar.

From what I've see on Guitar World website, it is expensive than the right handed guitar. I don't consider Left handed guitar is a custom. Unless you're into signature left handed guitar then it is expensive. Well you should invest a little money for your comfy than learning all over again just to play right handed guitar.
    Our ancestor are praying for the wealthy of his generation, Many has come and we will wait for more.
    "I know what it's like to lose someone you love" - Through Her Eyes Dream Theater.

Death is inevitable, death will keep his promise to greet you in the after life.
    And god will keep his promise to judge you right or wrong. Then your soul will be there forever after.

Now days you certainly don't have to get a custom guitar if you want a left handed one, though they will be more expensive as they simply make less of them. But back when the CC Deville was a child first learning the guitar, in what the 70's?, this may not have been the case and you may have had to get a custom made guitar if you wanted a left handed one, but you'll need someone older then me to confirm that.

Jimi Hendrix was also left handed and he simply turned the guitar upside down and restrung it so the stings were the correct way around. That when you see pics of Jimi you notice the guitar is upside down and the tuning pegs are point down.

Last edited by 13977; October 16, 2012 at 09:45am.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

I remember seeing them when I was learning to play, a left handed guitar could cost 1-200 bucks more than a 500 dollar guitar of the same make.

Many learn to play right handed instead, restring the guitar (I would assume not much of a sound difference on an electric, an acoustic I could see having slightly different harmonics). I know of some who tried to play inverted, just flip the guitar around and not restring it, but this causes some difficulty with some chords.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Honestly, I don't understand the difference… left / right… it's a 2 handed instrument. I mean, I don't know of a left handed saxophonist you know? It takes 2 hands, so it's not like there's some great benefit to having the neck pointed one way or another. Frankly as a left handed guitarist, I never understood why you'd even WANT the more dextrous hand just plucking away at strings rather than hitting chords and strings and bends with all of your fingers.

The other thing you know, is that most lefties are a little more ambidextrous by nature than righties. Last I looked, researchers didn't know if it was because its forced on us, or if it's just a natural brain thing, but most lefties have less problems doing dextrous things with their right hands than righties do with their lefts. A lot of us are called "functionally ambidextrous" where we might not be able to do everything with both hands, but we do one set of things with one hand, and another set of things with the other. In my case, I can't swing a bat or golf club right handed, and I'm not that great at throwing right handed, but I couldn't use a mouse left handed to save my life. And I'm not too good using a knife left handed either. I notice lots of things like that where I've picked up a preference for one or the other hands.

When I started playing guitar, I bought my own guitar. The lefty guitar was just about the same price, but I thought… why bother? If I start playing left handed, I'll never be able to pick up anyone's guitar without feeling weird about playing it.
    Good Trader List:
    -Maul, tattoojunkie74, Chuck Bowlz

Quote Originally Posted by mahuti View Post
    Honestly, I don't understand the difference… left / right… it's a 2 handed instrument. I mean, I don't know of a left handed saxophonist you know? It takes 2 hands, so it's not like there's some great benefit to having the neck pointed one way or another. Frankly as a left handed guitarist, I never understood why you'd even WANT the more dextrous hand just plucking away at strings rather than hitting chords and strings and bends with all of your fingers.
    This can be seen the easiest when you have someone who doesn't know much about guitar who goes to play a game like Guitar Hero. They will invariably put the guitar head in their right hand and start strumming with their left, for right handed people.

It was always something that bothered me about the guitar, and similar instruments. But also the first time I ever picked up a guitar I put the head to my left, not sure why.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

The other thing you know, is that most lefties are a little more ambidextrous by nature than righties. Last I looked, researchers didn't know if it was because its forced on us, or if it's just a natural brain thing, but most lefties have less problems doing dextrous things with their right hands than righties do with their lefts. A lot of us are called "functionally ambidextrous" where we might not be able to do everything with both hands, but we do one set of things with one hand, and another set of things with the other. In my case, I can't swing a bat or golf club right handed, and I'm not that great at throwing right handed, but I couldn't use a mouse left handed to save my life. And I'm not too good using a knife left handed either. I notice lots of things like that where I've picked up a preference for one or the other hands.

When I started playing guitar, I bought my own guitar. The lefty guitar was just about the same price, but I thought… why bother? If I start playing left handed, I'll never be able to pick up anyone's guitar without feeling weird about playing it.
    I'm left handed and play the Guitar "right handed" style as well.

Its not always the expense, but the availablility. Before internet shopping you had to rely on Mom and Pop music stores with low inventory. I am left handed and learned to play right handed from the start. Its actually very common.

a Muppet of a man...
    The other thing you know, is that most lefties are a little more ambidextrous by nature than righties.
    That's true. My wife's left handed for writing and eating, but plays her bass guitar right-handed.

Heroic Eternian Mechanic TechTrek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotward View Post
    That's true. My wife's left handed for writing and eating, but plays her bass guitar right-handed.
    your wife just earned 3 hottie points on the techtrek scale scotty.

its all about convenience. I write right handed (though can write better than some left handed) throw baseball both, bowling/basketball/Golf left, and guitar right. its all about comfort. I have thought about changing my guitar to left handed to see if i can do it. when i translate it in my head it works, but not sure if that would translate to guitar!