Thread: DB Skeletor's Chains got you TOO close to that Dragon? Change 'Em!

DB Skeletor's Chains got you TOO close to that Dragon? Change 'Em!

Now bear with me here, I made a few mistakes along the way:

If you had Dragon Blaster Skeletor when you were knee high to a grasshopper, then you probably remember removing the chain and using it for EVERYTHING. Well, I did. Beside the point, however. The chain came off, and I liked that feature! It allowed me to at least get close to Skeletor just using that armor...though the dragon would always be attached.

Imagine my excitement when I found out the MotUC figure would have a detachable dragon!

...then imagine my annoyance when I found out that they made the chain non-removable.

Back to square one, but worse! Not only was everything attached, but the chain was too short for the dragon to even go off on his own (never mind that he's technically not posed to do so either). Now I had to turn on my feeble brain and begin to storm, which is just all sorts of WORK.

My first "brain storm" was to cut.

Yay! The lock was now like the vintage lock with one simple cut, and the chain was now detached! However, I couldn't get the big loop through the hole in the armor.....soooo, I bent the loop, took off the chain, and removed it! That created a new problem...the chain was too big to get back through the hole in the armor without some sort of tool! ANNOYANCE ABOUNDS! What to do?

Buy a smaller chain! But I still needed one end to have nothing on it so I could get it through the armor. An attachment was needed!

Viola! No wait, that's some stringed instrument...Voilā! There we go. Gotta work on my French.

Anyway, the smaller chain can simply be lowered through the hole in the armor (just like the vintage figure) and then the other end can be attached to the necklace clasp on the dragon! Now keep in mind that the cutting I did to the dragon's collar and lock were unnecessary. When I realized what I wanted to do (after the cutting...) it was only to bend the big loop to get the original chain and lock off; no cutting necessary. 'Course I still like the lock like this, and there is really no damage to the collar since the cut at the very top won't let the chain get loose.

So lets boil this down:

- Take two pairs of pliers (I used needlenosed ones) and grab and bend the big loops open. You can get it off the dragon's neck that way (though you'll need to bend it WIDE to get it off there, which is why I didn't mind the cut) and you can get the lock and chain off.

- Bend the loop on the end with the wrist clasp as well to get the chain off that end.

- Buy some appropriate chain at Michael's or some such hobby store.

I thought this still looked good while being small enough to drop right through the armor.

- Buy a necklace clasp, most likely in the same isle as the chain.

- Put the necklace clasp in the loop on the collar and close it up, then put one end of the chain on the loop attached to the wrist and close that up!

- Now all you need to do is feed the chain through the armor and hook it into the clasp on the neck of the dragon. The chain should JUST fit in there.

From then on out you can remove the chain as needed AND - since you got your own chain - you can add more to make it, you know, useful!

Remember: I'm a hack, so feel free to post your other ideas if you've found a better way to do the same thing! I have a feeling I did it in the quickest and dirtiest way possible, but it works!
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Nice.

I cut mine too but I have the lock looping through the collar loop directly now so the keyhole faces forward instead of off to the side

Thanks for sharing Alexx. The positioning of the padlock bothered me more than anything as it naturally lays with the keyhole side down because of the way they assembled it. The clasp is a great way to add some play value to the dragon as now he can escape!

Quote Originally Posted by claw guy 3 View Post
    Nice.

I cut mine too but I have the lock looping through the collar loop directly now so the keyhole faces forward instead of off to the side
    That's perfect! ...sadly, the cut I made to the collar loop makes it bend out when I do that, so I just put it through the necklace clasp. Ah well...I really shoulda thought this one through beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by snakeeyes0217 View Post
    Thanks for sharing Alexx. The positioning of the padlock bothered me more than anything as it naturally lays with the keyhole side down because of the way they assembled it. The clasp is a great way to add some play value to the dragon as now he can escape!
    Yeah, I don't blame them for making the dragon immobile, but for pete's sake; why leave everything all chained up? This was my main Skeletor back in the day, so needless to say I was looking forward to him. The strange choices with him just make him seem like the most rushed figure in the line so far. Seriously have had so few problems with design choices so far, but this Skeletor seems to heap up multiple complaints in one.

...and yet, I still like him! Go figure.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Master of Mix & Match Charlie Brown's Avatar
    nicely done: it's really more...useful, this way!

for curiosity: does scare glow' small key fits in the lock?

Always Lurking Around Son of Keldor's Avatar
    well done - nice little tutorial too!

=)
    Can I get a "Hell Yeah" for Scorpia!!!

My Trader Feedback thread:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eldor+feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    for curiosity: does scare glow' small key fits in the lock?
    I wouldn't think so, I mean I dunno why it-----

...huh. Well whadoyaknow! That's kinda cool, actually. It also inspires a joke:

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    LOL, good stuff.......I've had Scare Glow on my shelf for a very long time....he was one of the first Classics I bought.....and I didn't even know there was a key in there till now

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    LOL, good stuff.......I've had Scare Glow on my shelf for a very long time....he was one of the first Classics I bought.....and I didn't even know there was a key in there till now
    Knowing is half the battle! Now you can...um, well...I guess there's not much you can do with it. But it's cool that it's there!

Anyway, I miss toy surprises! Ya know, finding out that something was hidden on it or that a chestplate comes off or something like that. You get a cool surprise out of something you've already had for awhile!

Master of Mix & Match Charlie Brown's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    I wouldn't think so, I mean I dunno why it-----
    ...huh. Well whadoyaknow! That's kinda cool, actually. It also inspires a joke:
    that's nice!

well, it works just fine, actually.

Yo Al that's some funny stuff up there....
    http://http://80sMasters.com/
    It's your place for Freedom of Speach for everything MOTU, POP, TMNT, , Horror, Wrestling, DC and Batman, and all other properties that are cool.
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter.... BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

I'm attempting to do the same, but the clasps that I bought are too small. was only a dollar so I will go back out and get the right size.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    I'm attempting to do the same, but the clasps that I bought are too small. was only a dollar so I will go back out and get the right size.
    Keep in mind that my chain just fit in the clasp that I bought. I mean it's got room to fit right in the clasp and nothing else. 'Course I dunno what size clasp and chain you bought, so I don't wana tell you to just keep pushing! I wish I would have kept the packaging so I could have shown exactly what chain I bought, but I best I can do is show that comparison of my chain and the DB Skelly chain.

I don't know the size but next time i will bring the original loop to the store and match that size, my clasps are smaller than those.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Nice!!!

Wow this is a first... I did not knew about the key!!! Where is it stored???
    Sale/Trade//Feedback//MOTU Customs// MOTUC Albums//MOTU Fans Puerto Rico Chapter

I got lazy...So here is a link to my NON MOTU Collection!
    Collection and NON MOTU Customs

XBOX ONE Gamertag: Avenger12PR
    PSN: Avenger12PR