Thread: 2012 Toys R Us Masterpiece Optimus Prime

2012 Toys R Us Masterpiece Optimus Prime

Picked this up today, not supposed to release until the 15th, supposedly. My Toys R Us only had this one. I believe it's in scale with the other Masterpiece figures aside from the first prime and Megatron, but I haven't opened it yet to verify.

Sorry for the blurrycam shots :P

- - - Updated - - -

would only let me do 10 images, so here's a link to the last one:

http://i.imgur.com/187Mp.jpg
    Last edited by BergerKing; October 4, 2012 at 03:40am.
    BergerKing's opinions and the opinions expressed in the above post do not necessarily reflect the opinions of He-Man.org, Mattel, Coca-Cola, the Catholic Church or the NFL
    I have a feedback thread! http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eedback-thread

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    I may very well save up for this, provided Hasbro/TRU actually chose to make them in passable quantities and they don't all sell out in a week and are never seen again. It'll be Nov/Dec before I even consider one, shy of winning a lottery ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    I may very well save up for this, provided Hasbro/TRU actually chose to make them in passable quantities and they don't all sell out in a week and are never seen again. It'll be Nov/Dec before I even consider one, shy of winning a lottery ticket.
    At $100 it was an iffy purchase for me, but I have the cash and I knew if I didn't pick it up now, I probly wouldn't find it again and would end up regretting not picking it up. so I had to grab it.
    BergerKing's opinions and the opinions expressed in the above post do not necessarily reflect the opinions of He-Man.org, Mattel, Coca-Cola, the Catholic Church or the NFL

The big price tag MIGHT make it a slow seller... really expensive toys like that often are. If the Monster High school set isn't selling out instantly, this one may not either. I mean sure, people were willing to drop $250 to import one a year ago, but those aren't the same average shoppers at TRU, and the people who did want one already having one is also going to slow things down.

On one hand, it could sell fast. On the other, the high price might actually mean it piles up in a few stores and takes time to move. Most of the other big price Transformers lately have been slow to sell, though in all fairness this is probably a better toy than that simplified Devastator that was the same price.

When researching it earlier after I bought it, tformers.com had an article from september that said the pre-orders had sold out on toysrus.com, but there would be stock allocated to stores as well as the preorders. So there might be demand for it despite the price, or it was a minimal run. Time will tell.

WOW! That is awesome!!!
    I hope that comes to SA but I doubt it...
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

That is cool. Thundercracker is just sitting around here, so I hope I might have a chance to pick this guy up. I used to have Masterpiece Ops and Megs but sold them. I might go for this guy.

I have every intention of grabbing this once they hit here. Sideswipe should be shipping this month and then there is Red Alert and the very awesome Soundwave coming in December

I'm split between this and Best Lock's Terminator sets. This is nice but the building sets may tempt me more, and may be easier to find.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    I'm going to have to pass. I just do not have $100 to spare. Glad they did not make his smoke stacks pre-broken though.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

I'm hoping to find one in my area, the MP Thundercracker went pretty fast and it was $65. I hope the $100 price tag holds em off for a while.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

A trailor AND spike? KICK BUTT!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Starchild's #1 fan!!

Quote Originally Posted by rankinman View Post
    I'm hoping to find one in my area, the MP Thundercracker went pretty fast and it was $65. I hope the $100 price tag holds em off for a while.
    If you don't mind paying $75, TRU online has Thundercracker listed and it's priced high enough for free shipping.

A mini review

He has articulated fingers. The index finger on each hand is separate, the middle, ring and pinky are joined, and the thumb is not articulated. The index finger on his right hand popped out very easily when I was placing his ion blaster in his hand.

The ion blaster has a fold up feature so that it can be stored in his back. its neat, but unnecessary IMO

His ankles are really loose. He will stand up straight for the most part, but he leans back a little. a bump forward sends him toppling.

I may try to keep an eye out for a replacement, but at this rate I don't hold much hope for this being an issue with my individual Prime. i think it's probly a design flaw, due to the way his feet transform.

He looks pretty cool... but can someone tell me why that cute little Spike has NO FACE?

I'll just keep my 20th Anniversary Prime.

How much die-cast metal is there? They always use such poor quality paints on the die-cast parts(they should use automotive grade paints made for metal, not cheap toy grade plastic paints that don't adhere to the surface) that will chip, flake and scratch no matter what and if this toy has a bunch of surface area painted over in that cheap stuff because of metal parts, then I'll probably pass wholesale.

That is pretty awesome but I already have the original Japanese masterpiece and the walmart release from a couple years ago. Not sure I can justify a 3rd optimus even if it IS pretty awesome.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    How much die-cast metal is there? They always use such poor quality paints on the die-cast parts(they should use automotive grade paints made for metal, not cheap toy grade plastic paints that don't adhere to the surface) that will chip, flake and scratch no matter what and if this toy has a bunch of surface area painted over in that cheap stuff because of metal parts, then I'll probably pass wholesale.
    No metal, 100% plastic (unless you count the screws). And not many paint apps. the ones there are look good though.

Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    That is pretty awesome but I already have the original Japanese masterpiece and the walmart release from a couple years ago. Not sure I can justify a 3rd optimus even if it IS pretty awesome.
    I have the hasbro 20th Anniversary prime, and now this one. I do not have the Takara MP-1. I also have the Takara Megatron, and the hasbro Starscream, Skywarp, Grimlock and Hot Rod. Just ordered a Thundercracker too, didn't realize he was out until I saw the thread on here after I originally posted this.

This thread actually got me looking at my 20th Prime again. Apparently there were several versions of this figure. The Hasbro release had both a grey gun version, and a black gun version. The black gun was more popular, as it is cartoon accurate. There was also a Battle Damage version, and a regular. I seem to have bought the Battle Damaged Grey gun version.

Then there is MP-01 Takara release, which is slightly different from the Hasbro release. Toys are so frustrating to collect. I still love my Optimus, but why can't there just be 1 version of a toy?
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; October 7, 2012 at 09:12pm.

Heroic Warrior
    That's beyond awesome.
    "These are the days of high adventure"

Quote Originally Posted by HammerFall View Post
    That's beyond awesome.
    Supposedly someone found one in the King of Prussia TRU if you know what I mean, HammerFall.

Think he looks great and he comes with a tone of stuff. I am, however, on the fence since I paid my dues and bought the original Masterpiece Prime in '04 and later bought Megatron and Skywarp. Now they have adopted a new scale and I really want these figures, especially Soundwave. So it's either evolve with the line or die with the figures they already made.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

Wish this toy was not so impossible to get.
    Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing.--Optimus Prime ROTF

I wouldn't give up yet. As the OP says, apparently it's not supposed to be out until the 15th.

My local Toys R Us told me last week they won't be getting any more in. Basically people show up right at opening the day of shipment and buy up all their stock. I unfortunately work late so being there right at open is not really an option for me. I am hoping that with the holiday season approaching that more will be made and shipped out although I was rather disappointed that they told me they won't be getting any more stock.
    Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing.--Optimus Prime ROTF