Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Depressed over She-ra not returning to Eternia with Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Barezz View Post
    Adam and Adora finding out that they are not brother and sister and hooking up would be a terrible idea. I cannot stress how terrible. Do you have a brother or sister in RL? If you found out tomorrow that you weren't actually related would you start dating? The whole concept is absurd and creepily disturbing if the answer is yes.
    ya ever wonder why when you watch panels at comic cons, sometimes the guests look really uncomfortable? like they really don't know what to expect or what to say.

its because certain fans make the actors, really uncomfortable. they start threads like this.

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    Robotech is about boys and girls, Masters is about ethics.

..(and not brother and sister dating ethics)

queen of ellipsis... LadyAngora's Avatar
    it does seem that early in the design process of she-ra, they may not have known whether or not to make them related or in a relationship... they went with related, and you can't really undo that. you could write an alternate universe where the other option happened instead, but you'd have to undo core pieces of their story to do it. it would result in a very different series.

as a kid, i didn't care for all the relationship stuff, so i was glad they were brother and sister.
    - LadyAngora

She-Ra ToyGuide
    --------------
    So, would you ever want to be a model?
    No way. I mean, I want to lose weight, but not all of it. -- Jessi

Heroic Warrior

The ending of the "The Secret of the Sword" doomed She-ra from the very start

I think She-ra got cancelled because by separating She-ra from He-man and her family, Filmation disenfranchised alot of the He-man fans. Also, the storyline so saddened children that they were turned off from watching She-ra and buying the POP (Princess-of-Power) toys.

I think the creators/writers of She-ra forgot that their target audience were little girls. They created an independent, strong woman and tried to market it to little girls. The concept would have been more appealing to adult women. Even Melendy Britt during a panel discussion at Power-Con said she played with the She-ra action figure more than her daughter and her friends.

Filmation squandered all the surplus revenue from He-man trying to push an adult concept (ie. strong, independent woman) onto little kids. Little children would have related more to the message of family togetherness, with He-man and She-ra acting as a team and complementing each other.

Filmation spent all of the half billion dollars made on He-man trying to push the strong, independent woman concept onto little girls. And girls rejected it by not buying the POP toys.

Little girls would have responded more favorably to the idea of She-ra living in a palace, fighting side-by-side with He-man, and embracing her role as a princess. I'm sure they would have bought the POP toys then.

Filmation already gave She-ra a better sword, more powers, and greater strength than He-man. All of this would have established her as He-man's equal, if not his superior. They didn't need to separate her.

Filmation should have built on the enormous success of Masters of the Universe by integrating the Princess of Power into MOTU and making them one.

Instead they created a separate entity and spent all the He-man profits keeping She-ra on life support for as long as they could.

What a waste!

Filmation turned their backs on their fans and what the fans wanted after they made all that money on MOTU.The creators of the show forgot who made them successful. And they basically just wrote what they wanted.

They made so much money off of He-man, they became arrogant and stopped listening to and respecting what their audience wanted.

So fans stopped tuning and buying the toys.

And She-ra got cancelled.

She was even excluded from the 1987 live action movie, probably because she wasn't family-friendly.

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    He-Man and She-Ra can one day be done as a proper story.

..(I just dont think anyone in hollywood is going to be willing/able to do it.)

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm completely confused.

The bottom line is this: IT'S A STORY.

It's resonated with thousands of people since day one and many of them continue to watch and discuss it online. The writers did a brilliant job of making Adora's story more real, more heartfelt and more tragic. That's what makes people watch and re-watch.

You seem to have an ideal view of how a family should look. Well, life isn't like that for everyone. There are plenty of different family makeups these days (kids get orphaned, adopted, raised by same-sex parents or single parents, with different traditions etc) and I personally loved the fact they didn't just send her back to Eternia.

Eternia has He-Man and is better off for it. Etheria NEEDS She-Ra and would be WORSE off without her. But, Etheria also NEEDS Adora because she has insight information into the Horde's operational strategies.

If anyone's going to free Etheria, it's She-Ra. But she's not going to do it because she's She-Ra - she's going to do it because she's Adora. If she hadn't been raised by the Horde, lied to and taken away from her family, she'd have no reason to stay. And if she left, that would be selfish. (and bad writing )
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - Spinnerella - Melaktha - Vultak - Dylamug - Crita - Mermista Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina

Heroic Warrior

Good Story but Bad Marketing => No Revenue => Story cannot be completed

She-ra didn't aspire to ideal family values which is why girls didn't buy her toys in the numbers necessary to keep the show going.

I agree that nowadays families are different, but we all in our hearts still want to promote and see the ideal.

For example, even though the divorce rate is 50% we still want to aspire to and teach our kids that marriage is a life-time commitment.

She-ra would have freed Etheria if Filmation would have marketed the ideal to kids because then the toys would have sold.

Save the cold, hard reality for the adult programs and leave the kid shows like He-man and She-ra alone.

Let kids be happy and enjoy the fantasy of their childhood. Don't crush their youthful idealism.
    Last edited by dura_grip; October 14, 2012 at 05:52pm.
    Posted from iOS app

Quote Originally Posted by dura_grip View Post
    She-ra didn't aspire to ideal family values which is why girls didn't buy her toys in the numbers necessary to keep the show going.
    So making sure that she returned home so she could live with her parents and brother and make the Eternian Palace a 2 parents and 2 children household is more important then her staying to help her friends fight the Evil Horde before the enslave or destroy all the people of Etheria? If family values means that then family values can take a really long walk of a really short pier

I agree that nowadays families are different, but we all in our hearts still want to promote and see the ideal.
    I don't. I can't stand the idea that everyone and every family should be the same. Diversity makes the world interesting. Plus you really shouldn't say what everyone wants as you do not speak for everyone.

For example, even though the divorce rate is 50% we still want to aspire to and teach our kids that marriage is a life-time commitment.
    Ha. I think marriage is a joke, an archaic institution that should have been abolished centuries ago.

She-ra would have freed Etheria if Filmation would have marketed the ideal to kids because then the toys would have sold.
    No. She-Ra would have freed Etheria if they ever finished the show but it was cancelled after 2 seasons. It was nothing to do with "ideals" just rotten luck (for PoP fans) that the show was ended before it could truly end.

Save the cold, hard reality for the adult programs and leave the kid shows like He-man and She-ra alone.
    Cold hard reality? The cold hard reality of getting super strength from a magical sword, flying around on a winged unicorn or riding a green tiger, fighting skull faced wizards and evil shapeshifting techno-organic tyrants...oh yes...VERY realistic

Let kids be happy and enjoy the fantasy of their childhood. Don't crush their youthful idealism.
    It is my belief that kids are happy and were happy watching She-Ra (and MOTU) and I am sorry to say the only person I can see with a chance of crushing their "youthful idealism" is you with all your talk about She-Ra being a terrible role model all because she didn't abandon her friends to go live in a palace and comb her hair all day

The toys didn't sell because the marketing for this niche line of 'action figures for girls' was not as strong as it is for other girls lines. Also, every line has its lifespan. If you want to bring narrow opinions into the discussion, chew on this. Little girls are often encouraged to care for baby dolls, and play 'house' and 'dress up'. That is why girls toys are predominantly comprised of this. So by that train of thought, She-Ra was doomed to fail from the beginning, as by its very nature, it does not 'aspire to ideal family values' and gender roles, as girls are not supposed to be out saving the world, instead they should be home burping babies.

I agree that nowadays families are different, but we all in our hearts still want to promote and see the ideal. For example, even though the divorce rate is 50% we still want to aspire to and teach our kids that marriage is a life-time commitment.
    "We" as in who? You. Marriages that work are a life time commitment. Marriages between 2 people that enter into it irresponsibly, immaturely, or in the instance where couples betray one another, or simply fall out of love end in divorce. As it should be. I fail to see how She-Ra in any capacity is a place to teach the values of marriage. She-Ra is too busy saving an entire planet and its people from utter annihilation. Strawberry Shortcake, Rainbow Brite and Carebears also failed to devote any episodes to the ideals of marriage. I guess that is why they failed as well. Oh wait, they didn't, but eventually, they ran their course as all things do.

She-ra would have freed Etheria if the show continued. The show did not continue, so therefore the story was left unfinished. But maybe you are right, perhaps if "Bridal Power" She-Ra and "Tuxedo Bow" were released as wedding cake decorations, the show would have done better. Wait! What about Sea Hawk!? I can definitely see the confusion that having a duel identity and liking more than 1 person at a time would foster in young girls.

The only one talking about 'cold, hard realities' is you, and your arguments are baseless opinion. The more of your posts I read, the less I think I actually know what the point is.

Kids are being kids, and using their imaginations, and playing many different games. Every single grown woman I know who played 'house' with Ken and Barbie, burped babies and watched She-Ra, are happily married, and living perfect dream lives with their husbands and- wait... no they're not. They have problems just like every other grown adult, and no amount of cartoon morals can change the fact that they are now living adult lives.

You should change the title of this thread to "She-Ra's Independent Strong Female Character Is Destroying The Institution of Marriage" or "She-Ra Failed As A Cartoon and I Will Explain Why", because your messages are indicative of this, not the actual thread title.
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; October 14, 2012 at 09:22pm.

I really am at a loss as to a thread can be allowed to degenerate like this. I don't know where to begin. It's one thing to bemoan your favourite childhood character having a lack of closure due to cancellation of their show, but it's another thing to suggest that the show and character should transform into something else entirely, something clearly inappropriate.

For one thing I'm can't help but scratch my head at the particular insistence that a strong female lead is a bad role model and that only adults could possibly want that. How could you know? Surely She-Ra would have been watched by adult women then and not by young girls. You can't possibly speak for everyone and your ideals are not what everyone wants and all I've ever read or heard (often from females in the business) is how appreciated strong female characters are (due to the fact they can be quite few and far between). A strong independent female lead is more valuable to women (though not exclusively) as a role model that they can look up to and aspire to. Certainly a lot more than an 'incestous kissy faced homebody' which is just inappropriate on so many levels.

Also I can't really see how anyone could ever look to filmation's Masters of the Universe or She-Ra and ever describe them or characters therein with the words 'cold, hard reality' when it has to be some of the most fluffiest of fluffball children's tv there is.

Hopefully this thread can be closed down for the circus it has become.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

queen of ellipsis... LadyAngora's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Masamune View Post
    Hopefully this thread can be closed down for the circus it has become.
    i agree, and done.
    - LadyAngora

She-Ra ToyGuide
    --------------
    So, would you ever want to be a model?
    No way. I mean, I want to lose weight, but not all of it. -- Jessi