Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who was your first action figure?

First action figure was a Wonder Woman Mego doll in the late seventies. The one that was just a bit taller than a Barbie.

First MOTU was Teela. Always was thrilled to have female figures who were in on the action!

My first action figure was a Mego Superman from 1981 or 1982. His shoulder popped out of the socket when I would put him in flying poses so I tossed him. I was less than 5 at the time so I didn't realize that was a big mistake. My father then bought my brother and I Mego Batman and Robin figures. I still wish I had them today. Same year, and I'm not sure which I received first, I received He-Man and Flash from G.I.Joe. They were both favorites of mine. I had an older cousin who had Adventure Team G.I.Joe stuff and my grandmother tried to give them to me but the flocked hair really creeped my out so I said no. Another big mistake. But the major reason why I said no was because I liked the smaller figures like Flash and He-Man better. I think that same year I picked up the Mego General Lee and Bo Duke. Man I wish I still had these figures today. I loved them to death.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

Heroic Warrior
    First Action figure was a Star Wars man as my Mom use to call them. First MOTU was He Man from Hills. Spider man was to make a special appearance at Hills so my Mom took me. While there I git a rubics cube and some new killer looking barbarian named He Man. That was it I was hooked. I got Spider mans autograph but was more impressed with the new line of figures I had found.

the first action figure that I remember receiving was one of those orange and white fisher price motorcycle riders, and I'm not sure where I got it from. shortly after that came my battle armor he-man and battle cat. probably purchased from service merchandise or zody's.

I have to make a confession... I know what my first Star Wars figure was... Ben Kenobi. And I believe he was my first action figure.

But I'm foggy on my first He-Man figure.

I want to say, and I'm probably right, that I got He-Man, Skeletor, and Beastman, Battlecat and possibly Man-At-Arms all at once. I want to say it was for my birthday.

The reason I'm foggy on it is because I remember distinctly my first encounter with He-Man... One of my friends got one and we had all started to see the early commercials on TV for it. I thought he was called "Key-Man" We all got together and poured over the minicomic together, and I remember that my friend had He-Man first, and hoped to get Skeletor soon after. So my buddies and I all were playing with the toys before I got my own. Between my birthday and Christmas that first year, I ended up having He-Man, Skeletor, Beastman, Man-At-Arms, Battle Cat, Battle Ram and Castle Grayskull. Everything on the early minicomic's back cover! I felt so lucky, blessed and happy! I remember still pouring over those minicomics and bugging my parents to get Teela, the Wind Raider, Stratos, Merman and Zodac based on the adverts in the comics. I only ever got Zodac from that next bunch. (I did later get other figures of course, but of the first releases, that was it.)

Fall/Winter of 1982 was truly magical.
    Last edited by Baena; December 4, 2012 at 05:00pm.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

I received a load of Masters figures from my older brother as a kid. The first figure I bought for myself was Trapjaw with birthday money. I loved him so very much. He's still one of my favorites.
    Signed by-- ME!

---
    Did I ever grow up? Probably not. I'm sure the day-glo socks gave it away anyway.

He-Man was my first original MOTU figure. My dad was such a good sport.
    I told him about He-Man, and he said, "Let's go get you one!"

In 1982, I was 4 years old. I have a very distinct memory of my Grandfather taking me with him to the store and on the way back we stopped off at a toy store (maybe KMart?) and hanging up on one of the shelves was a handful of He-Man figures (three or four different ones from the first wave). I picked up He-Man and after I got home and studied the comic that came with him I was hooked.

By the end of the year, I had received the remaining original eight - Skeletor, Beastman (my favorite at the time), Merman, Stratos, Zodac, Man-At-Arms, Teela and Castle Grayskull. I'll always remember the original eight being my favorites and how differently I played with them before the cartoon ever started up. Castle Grayskull was Skeletor's when I was young - obviously, his face or an ancestor that looked like him was on the front . And there was never a Prince Adam. It was much more Conan the barbarian for me, the mini-comics must have made the biggest impression on me compared to the cartoon.
    Last edited by FutureRetro; December 19, 2012 at 11:09pm.

Not sure how anyone can remember the very first figure they got as a kid.

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Quote Originally Posted by mrguardia View Post
    Why not? If someone got their first figure when they were like 2, I can see your point but many got them at 5, 8, 11, etc. Faker was my first figure and I very clearly remember getting him. They didn't have He-Man, so I asked for Faker instead as he was the closest thing to HM. My dad was a bit perplexed by the request, but luckily he got him for me anyway. I'd guess it must have been late '82 or early '83.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Beast-Man from the Sears mail-order catalogue. Such a good memory. But I lost his whip at a state park several months later. Tragic. Tragic. "Can we go back and look for it?" I cried. It was dark. We did not. But! I still have him. His legs are duct-taped on, but my 4 year old loves him dearly.

My first action figure was the 2nd General Hawk figure from G.I. Joe. After that was either Sci-Fi from G.I.Joe or the first Peter Venkman from the Real Ghostbusters. I don't have my Peter anymore (heh heh) but I do still have Hawk and Sci-Fi. Not at all sure what my first MOTU figure was.
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

It's hard to say, I have very dim memories of first having He-Man, MAA, Skeletor, Mer-Man and Beast Man as a young kid, but I don't know if I got them all at once for Christmas or what. Those were my firsts though.
    Last edited by Lich Leech; December 20, 2012 at 02:39pm.
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

Quote Originally Posted by mrguardia View Post
    I have very specific memories of toys from my childhood, but I'd have a hard time telling you what I did on Wednesday of last week.

NA mini-sub Supporter ! Arkangel's Avatar
    Can't remember the first one, but the last ones were horde trooper and blast attak
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app