Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Masters of the Universe movie gets December 18, 2019 release date

Masters of the Universe movie gets December 18, 2019 release date

Its official. Sony has announced that Masters of the Universe is coming out on the 18th December 2019. McG is directing. Such a prime release spot. Sony clearly has high hopes.
    Click here to read more.

McG is no longer attached, and they are looking for directors, according to a report on Entertainment Weekly.
    Click here to read more.

just saw that !!!!!!!! WooHooo. This is awesome.

Nice to see we finally get movement.

I sincerely hope Sony keeps Tom Rothmans paws off the movie. ( look up reports on how he micromanaged X-men Origins :Wolverine when he was at Fox)

April 1st was at the beginning of the month

Oh Snap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    “You don't stop playing because you grow old you grow old because you stop playing.” George Benard Shaw.

Is this real?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Hit me up on instagram @MOTUdude

Great News!
    Contact me if you have MOTU Merchandise Items for sale or trade! Please view a sampling of what I am looking for Here:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...ase%20Contact/
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...need%20Europe/

Yes, it is real:

Sony sets release date for Masters of the Universe reboot

He-Man has the power — and now a release date.

The long-discussed Masters of the Universe reboot has finally found a spot on the calendar, launching into theaters on Dec. 18, 2019, EW has confirmed. McG (Charlie’s Angels) has been on board to direct since early 2016.

EW has also learned from a source familiar with the production that many actors, including A-list talent, are vying for key roles.

Last June, Twilight star Kellan Lutz tweeted about the “amazing meeting” he had with McG and producer Mary Viola. The director later confirmed the meeting in an interview with IGN and said Lutz would be considered “very, very carefully,” noting how “passionate” he is about the character and story.

Beginning as a line of toys and their accompanying mini-comics from Mattel, Masters of the Universe spawned several animated series, and eventually, in 1987, a live-action film starring Dolph Lundgren as Prince Adam a.k.a. the warrior He-Man, the defender of Eternia. Frank Langella portrayed He-Man’s nemesis Skeletor.

Similar in tone to the big superhero-driven comic book adaptations made especially popular over the last decade, McG has found inspiration for the upcoming reboot in a very specific place. “We also need to be cognizant of the incredible resonance of what Kevin Feige is doing with Marvel, and the balance of full-bodied entertainment,” McG previously shared. “That it’s both credible and emotional, action-packed, and the story of a hero’s journey.”
    http://ew.com/movies/2017/04/26/sony...alflow_twitter

It is cool to finally see a release date. I'm not sure how I feel about a December release. I guess the recent Star Wars movies, Avatar, and the Lord of the Ring movies have done good business in December and into the new year. Even though MOTU will lean heavily towards males, going up against Wicked and a Disney flick might be tough.

Nature's Greatest Wonder Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    The fact that Sony Pictures is still attached doesn't thrill me. They haven't exactly had the best track record for quality film releases for quite some time.

Hopefully this changes the trend.

In the name of the Lloyd!

With a writers strike possibly coming up, I assume they think they have a finished enough script they are ready to go with to announce a release date.

EW updated their article to say that McG is no longer directing:

The long-discussed Masters of the Universe reboot has finally found a spot on the calendar, launching into theaters on Dec. 18, 2019, EW has confirmed. McG (Charlie’s Angels) had been on board to direct since early 2016, but EW has learned from a source familiar with the production that he is no longer attached and Sony is meeting with directors, and that David S. Goyer (Batman Begins, Man of Steel) is writing the screenplay for the event film.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post

EW updated their article to say that McG is no longer directing:
    ... And David S. Goyer is writing the reboot.

Wow a prime release spot! ,a first-rate writer ! Sony has high expectations !
    Last edited by heavy-eternium; April 27, 2017 at 02:14am.

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    It is cool to finally see a release date. I'm not sure how I feel about a December release. I guess the recent Star Wars movies, Avatar, and the Lord of the Ring movies have done good business in December and into the new year.
    Its common for big movie's to either get the summer-release or around december.

Personally I am excited! Many know that I want a movie to happen and this is a great step for the process of the movie!
    He-Man & She-Ra fan and contributor to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

With the Star Wars movies switching it up to May again and Avatar 2 not coming out now until December of 2020, it does leave a nice spot available for an action sci-fi flick in December of 2019. Will other movie studios respect MOTU enough to not put any big guns up against it besides the typical family movies? I'll be curious what gets the December 6 and 13, 2019 spots down the road.

Mightiest Mortal Captain Marvel's Avatar
    Very cool to see Sony giving the movie such a prime spot; I hope we'll see a great movie (even movie series).

I am also pleased that Sony seems far more interested in the MOTU movie doing well after their debacle in giving Seth Rogen the reigns to the Green Hornet movie (so much wasted potential).

Master of New Adventures!
    Wow...just WOW!!!

How thrilling!

So does this mean the movie is now officially "Green Lit" or is it still in "Develpoment Hell"? Does a Director and budget have to be attached before it's definately happening?

Toyguru said around 2020 all the rights for MOTU go through a major shift.

Maybe by setting a last feasable release date they could get a movie out, before the rights possibily revert, could the inhouse MOTU team at Sony be trying to internally force development on the project & increase momentum to maybe circumvent internal political issues that have been and are continuing to impeed the movie's development?

Kind of "Lets get serious about USING the MOTU rights before we LOSE the MOTU rights!" It's intresting this news comes so hot off the heals of Mattel's big She-Ra trademark grab that Tallstar just reported.
    Last edited by Angel-T; April 27, 2017 at 03:27am.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Now that the hype is re-lit we should expect a new comic book series, new cartoon-DVD releases, a new special edition of the original movie and some new movie action figures from S7

I can't believe how thrilled I am with this news. It feels like I'm a kid again! Please, please, be a good movie!
    What doesn’t kill me makes me froggier.

McG being out and David S. Goyer in are good news (even though I'm not sure this is the kind of material Goyer is really into writing)...
    Upcoming book THE PUNISHER: THE UNTOLD STORY OF AN 80s CULT CLASSIC
    www.twitter.com/punisher_book
    www.instagram.com/punisher_book
    www.facebook.com/ThePunisher.FilmBook

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jox View Post
    McG being out and David S. Goyer in are good news (even though I'm not sure this is the kind of material Goyer is really into writing)...
    Is McG out?

ComingSoon has him pegged for it still and has quotes from him as "recently spoke with CS"

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/new...universe-movie
    He-Man & She-Ra fan and contributor to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Heroic Master of Music baileyrecords's Avatar
    Fingers crossed.
    I am Stratos, Heroic Master of Music! and proud member of the Ohio Masters

Creator of Kaiju Kaos.

"My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Is McG out?

ComingSoon has him pegged for it still and has quotes from him as "recently spoke with CS"

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/new...universe-movie
    Entertainment Weekly probably gets the most inside entertainment news than any other source in the United States and they are saying he is out.

Great new! i hope for the best!