Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: He-Man/Thundercats #2 | Official Talkback thread (SPOILERS)

Heroic Warrior

He-Man/Thundercats #2 | Official Talkback thread (SPOILERS)

Freddie E Williams II post this picture on Instagram:

"HeMan / ThunderCats issue 2! Out November 16 (this coming Wednesday) I hope you check it out! "

https://www.instagram.com/p/BMooPPOg5qd/

I need a copy!!!

- - - Updated - - -

The Preview of the 2nd issue of He-Man/Thundercats crossover is finally here!!!!

Courtesy of Crave Online! And many thanks to Jrod, for making known!

http://www.craveonline.com/entertain...-thundercats-2

A lot of good stuff in this preview:

- First of all, the narrator has changed as was expected to be. This time is Adam obviously that is commenting here. You can read clearly his concerns about his duties and his will to prove himself (nice nod to the "Courage of Adam's 200X episode)
    - I gotta love Skeletor's humor. "I' ve rendered Mumm-Ra Never Living!" And of course the classic Skelly's "Muscle Brained Buffoon" insult when it comes to He-Man!
    - Mumm-Ra of course is not gone as was expected to be.
    - Very clever the way that they "connected" Eternia with the Third Earth in the splash page. Using the Serpent of the Snake Mountain as a long lost Evil Spirit is a really good way to use it as an element that bridge the two worlds (guess that the Serpos's name was not brought here since in the previous DC MOTU run, Serpos was part of the Goddess's triad nature, a primordial force for sure, but not necessarily evil, and overall it could cause confusion, even if this crossover is a different canon. In this case the Serpent as former Evil Spirit of Evil could be considered a nod to the evil "Serpos" from the 200X series), and it makes sense since the Serpent symbol it also appears at Mumm-Ra's immortal form. Also awesome use of the Golden Disks of Knowledge here. In the Filmation cartoon's episode about the Disks, it was revealed that they contained indeed the knowledge and the secrets about the Snake Mountain.
    - And of course we come to know here that Skeletor's motivation about the Sword of Power it's not of course to use it, because he knows that he can't, but this is part of Skeletor's master plan. Without the Sword, he presumes that He-Man is vulnerable, so it's the perfect chance to defeat him. But the main reason of Skeletor's deal with the ESoE, and the big reveal, is that he wants to gain through them immortality, like Mumm-Ra, by taking Mumm-Ra's place as their chosen one.
    - Back to He-Man, we have him and Cringer to make excuse for Adam's absence as usually. But it's great to see how Randor loves his son and his concern about him.
    - And WOW the last page! Skeletor assumed apparently the command of the Plundarrians and now they joined forces with his Evil Warriors under Evil-Lyn's leadership in order to attack He-Man in this fragile moment for him.

Overall a great Preview. Freddie and Jeremy's artwork are amazing here! Can't wait for tomorrow to read it! Again MOTU and Thundercats fans let's support this.

From Bleeding Cool we have also the first impressions from the He-Man/Thundercats #2

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/11/...ked-bodyguard/

Aaron Haaland of A Comic Shop in Orlando, Florida, writes,

"And He-Men Thundercats #2 made me want to be 10 years old playing with action figures again."
    Last edited by granamyr80; November 15, 2016 at 07:07pm.

Looking awesome!

Thank you for posting!
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2017!

I can't wait to read this! It feels like it's been way too long since #1.

Looks neat, though of course with Skeletor already declaring victory here, we know he's heading for a major roadblock. Wonder of we'll get to see the King busting chops alongside He-Man. Must admit, I loved it when he did that in the Filmation cartoon.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

Heroic Warrior
    Amazing action packed issue! The artwork of He-Man fighting the Evil Warriors and Mutants was superb! My only issue with this series is some of the out of character, modern, hip dialouge and narration lines. Interesting that the narrator is a different person for each issue and the trend may continue.

I think Skeletor was still the narrator, unless I missed something obvious. Either way, I like sassy Skeletor.

Loved that the book was essentially one long fight scene. He-Man kickin' ass is always great to see.

Heroic Warrior
    The first Reviews are out and they are giving the 2nd issue of He-Man/Thunercatss crossover an even higher score in comparison with the 1st one!

http://thegww.com/he-has-the-power-h...cats-2-review/

http://lylesmoviefiles.com/2016/11/1...-for-111616/5/

http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com...cats-2-review/

http://www.weirdsciencedccomics.com/...=1479322956877

And this review has given a bit lower score from the 1st issue (7 instead o 8),

https://bigcomicpage.com/2016/11/16/...s-2-dc-comics/

A great review of this issue, was made by All Star Comics Podcast:

http://horizoncomics.podbean.com/e/e...ts-house-of-m/

The Review of the 2nd issue of He-Man/TC starts at 25:34. The Reviewers were enthusiastic about it, they give a 5 out of 5 score, defining it as an example of the "perfect comic book issue" according to them.
    Last edited by granamyr80; November 19, 2016 at 08:52pm.

Heroic Warrior
    How does becoming "Ever-Living" allow Skeletor to wield the Sword of Power?

So if He-Man turned back to Adam on his own he would still be mortally wounded from the chest stabbing?

I prefer Dan Abnett on scripting duties and wish they would have brought him back (from last series) but Rob David and Lloyd Goldfine do a great job on overall story drafting as they have in the past. Again I realize this is a fun crossover in comparison but still...

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Kesmai View Post
    How does becoming "Ever-Living" allow Skeletor to wield the Sword of Power?

So if He-Man turned back to Adam on his own he would still be mortally wounded from the chest stabbing?

I prefer Dan Abnett on scripting duties and wish they would have brought him back (from last series) but Rob David and Lloyd Goldfine do a great job on overall story drafting as they have in the past. Again I realize this is a fun crossover in comparison but still...
    Previously Skeletor has stated that if someone tries to call the Power of Grayskull without being worthy he would be killed instantly.

But if Skeletor can assume Mumm-Ra's powers and most important the "Ever Living" part a.k.a. the Immortality, then Grayskull's Power wouldn't kill him, because Skelly would be immortal, so unkillable. Because this was Skeletor's master plan. Gain immortality with the aid and favour of the Ancient Spirits of Evil, and with Mumm-Ra's crucial role in this, so he can use the Sword of Power, without being destroyed. For me it's a very clever plan from Skeletor's part, in his attempt to bypass the most important consequence of calling the Power of Grayskull.

If i remember well only He-Man has enchanted impenetrable skin, which only powerful magical weapons can do any damage. The Power of Grayskull making him heal as He-Man, but since he was injured while he was Adam, the wound would remain when he turns back to the Prince form. Remember that Sword of Power is not the Sword of Protection. It can't heal instantly everyone.

I love Dan Abnett's scripts too. His run is one of my favorites. But his tone maybe would be proven a bit too gloomy for this crossover, which is trying to be a bit closer in tone with the 80's representations. I believe that Rob and Lloyd are trying to make the crossover more fun and a bit cheesy, instead of the more serious and epic tone of the previous run, so it can appeal to a wider readership which perhaps for the 1st time will read a MOTU/Thundercats comic and probably more accustomed to the 80's style. David wrote the last issue of the ongoing (N.19) before the Eternity War, which was one of the best from the previous DC run, and the tone and writing were quite similar to Dan's previous issues and to those that came after this. So i believe that the choice to adapt this tone for the crossover it's made with the intention to make it feel a bit more 80's like, a bit more fun as you said (more GotG less LotR). Besides the crossover it's out of any canon, so it doesn't need to keep the same tone with the previous run.
    Last edited by granamyr80; November 16, 2016 at 06:10pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    Previously Skeletor has stated that if someone tries to call the Power of Grayskull without being worthy he would be killed instantly.

But if Skeletor can assume Mumm-Ra's powers and most important the "Ever Living" part a.k.a. the Immortality, then Grayskull's Power wouldn't kill him, because Skelly would be immortal, so unkillable. Because this was Skeletor's master plan. Gain immortality with the aid and favour of the Ancient Spirits of Evil, and with Mumm-Ra's crucial role in this, so he can use the Sword of Power, without being detroyed. For me it's a very clever plan from Skeletor's part, in his attempt to bypass the most important consequence of calling the Power of Grayskull.

If i remember well only He-Man has enchanted impenetrable skin, which only powerful magical weapons can do any damage. The Power of Grayskull making him heal as He-Man, but since he was injured while he was Adam, the wound would remain when he turns back to the Prince form. Remember that Sword of Power is not the Sword of Protection. It can't heal instantly everyone.

I love Dan Abnett's scripts too. His run is one of my favorites. But his tone maybe would be proven a bit too gloomy for this crossover, which is trying to be a bit closer in tone with the 80's representations. I believe that Rob and Lloyd are trying to make the crossover more fun and a bit cheesy, instead of the more serious and epic tone of the previous run, so it can appeal to a wider readership which perhaps for the 1st time will read a MOTU/Thundercats comic and probably more accustomed to the 80's style. David wrote the last issue of the ongoing (N.19) before the Eternity War, which was one of the best from the previous DC run, and the tone and writing were quite similar to Dan's previous issues and to those that came after this. So i believe that the choice to adapt this tone for the crossover it's made with the intention to make it feel a bit more 80's like, a bit more fun as you said (more GotG less LotR). Besides the crossover it's out of any canon, so it doesn't need to keep the same tone with the previous run.
    Fantastic insight as usual

Heroic Warrior
    Fantastic insight as usual
    Thanks very much Kesmai.

I believe when comes to MOTU, the tone is the biggest debacle.

Take as an example the discussion for the possible movie's tone. Many fans prefer a lighthearted, cheesy Marvel style movie, like the GotG or Thor. Others want a more serious, epic, heroic Fantasy tone like the LotR or Sci/Fi epics like Star Wars. It's how each one of us has MOTU immagined to be in our minds. I have the impression that Mattel with the comics, among other things, mainly to revive the franchise, are also trying to figure out which tone, designs etc, would be proved more popular between the fans, since so far the debacle about it, is still open, and unsolved.

And one thing about the use of Grayskull's Power.

In the whole previous run both Hordak and Skeletor were trying to find a way to use the Power of Grayskull, without being harmed. And in that case the answer was to obtain Adam's blood. In crossover's case Skeletor is still trying the same to find a way to use the Power of Grayskull. And the answer that found here in order to succeed was immortality. Which actually makes sense and justify Mumm-Ra's intention to find and use the Sword of Power against Lion-O and the Thundercats. Which means that Mumm-Ra, since he is the Ever Living he could indeed use the Sword of Power without consequences for him. And probably it would be very unpleasant for the Thundercats.
    Last edited by granamyr80; November 16, 2016 at 04:35pm.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    The narrator for this issue turned out to be Lion-O, who showed up at the end with the other ThunderCats. (I was wondering where the ThuderCats were) It fits too, because Lion-O was always out to prove himself worthy of being the Lord of the ThunderCats.

The Mutants and Skeletor's elite jumping He-Man reminded me of MYP's "Council of Evil part 1", -- when He-Man took on Skeletor's Evil Warriors all at once, but by himself! I love how the bad guys where actually formidable foes.

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    The narrator for this issue turned out to be Lion-O, who showed up at the end with the other ThunderCats. (I was wondering where the ThuderCats were) It fits too, because Lion-O was always out to prove himself worthy of being the Lord of the ThunderCats.

The Mutants and Skeletor's elite jumping He-Man reminded me of MYP's "Council of Evil part 1", -- when He-Man took on Skeletor's Evil Warriors all at once, but by himself! I love how the bad guys where actually formidable foes.
    Yup. I was a bit confused with the reference in the beginning for fear about "skeletons" and "snakes", make me believe that it was Adam. But the reveal that the narrator was Lion-O makes much more sense. And it's a really very cool reveal! Next issue i presume that is going to be rightfully Lion-o and Thundercats-centric, based from what happened in this issue, and the solicitation and cover of the next one.

Heroic Warrior
    Love it.. can't wait for next month..

This was a fun issue! I think I preferred #1 because it had more story to it, but #2's fight scene was pretty great. I liked seeing He-Man a little more vulnerable than usual without his sword.

Re: the tone for a movie, I feel like this is a pretty good middle ground between the goofy cartoon and something *too* hardcore. The impaling in #1 was a bit too extreme overall, but I'd say it worked in the context of the story.

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Its one of those things that has not fully been touched upon in the cartoons/books/comics as much as I can remember. Also depends how the transformation is treated as in "is He-Man just Adam beefed up" or "He-Man a complete different person from Adam" which would make for fun discussion personality-wise and in this case body-issues. I mean its not like when Adam transforms, this other being is brought forth from some other dimension to be in his place...

But I do vividly remember actually on these very forums that fans did discuss around 1999/2000 that could Adam on his deathbed at an very old age simply turn into He-Man and possibly live forever by Grayskull's magical means?
    So very cool to see a new comic in modern times touch upon that topic. What does and doesn't the Power of Grayskull do?

Now, going to your original question, I think He-Man could ask the Sorceress for help when its time to turn back into Adam and tend his wounds.
    But on one hand I personally think that if he stayed He-Man longer, that Grayskull's power would slowly heal Adam "inside". So when it was time to turn back into Adam,
    he'd not be dying from the mortal stabbing... But that's just a personal preference.

Nature's Greatest Wonder Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Its one of those things that has not fully been touched upon in the cartoons/books/comics as much as I can remember. Also depends how the transformation is treated as in "is He-Man just Adam beefed up" or "He-Man a complete different person from Adam" which would make for fun discussion personality-wise and in this case body-issues. I mean its not like when Adam transforms, this other being is brought forth from some other dimension to be in his place...

But I do vividly remember actually on these very forums that fans did discuss around 1999/2000 that could Adam on his deathbed at an very old age simply turn into He-Man and possibly live forever by Grayskull's magical means?
    So very cool to see a new comic in modern times touch upon that topic. What does and doesn't the Power of Grayskull do?

Now, going to your original question, I think He-Man could ask the Sorceress for help when its time to turn back into Adam and tend his wounds.
    But on one hand I personally think that if he stayed He-Man longer, that Grayskull's power would slowly heal Adam "inside". So when it was time to turn back into Adam,
    he'd not be dying from the mortal stabbing... But that's just a personal preference.
    There are some good points here.

This is just a random guess that could be totally wrong, but I wonder if the fact that he did not turn back into Adam voluntarily - and (possibly) more importantly, someone else actually called upon the power of Grayskull, effectively "ripping" it away from He-Man/Adam - that could be what caused Adam to still be wounded after he changed back. Perhaps had he changed from He-Man to Adam voluntarily, the power would have healed him.

I'm going to have to read issue 1 again to check on a couple of things. From what I recall, Mumm-Ra just knew that Adam was He-Man. Either the Ancient Spirits told him that, or he saw it in his 'pool' that allows him to see various things - which IMO would still mean that the Ancient Spirits of Evil would also be aware of it. And if that was the case, with Skeletor working with the Ancient Spirits in this series, I guess I had assumed that, even if it would have been recently acquired info for him, that he was therefore also aware of the dual identity. But then in this issue, Mumm-Ra tries to bargain with Skeletor by offering to tell him He-Man's secret identity, which Skeletor brushes off because he is about to become very powerful.

And with Skeletor apparently not being aware of that information, it seems even stranger to me that he would know to say "By the power of Grayskull" when using the sword of power. If he knew how to use the sword and what to say, I would figure it in part would be because he was aware of how Adam transformed into He-Man.

It's not a big deal, just something that seems a little odd to me.

In the name of the Lloyd!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post

I believe that we forget one important detail.

The wound in this particular case wasn't caused by a simple weapon. It was caused by the Sword of Power itself. In the Eternity war #6 we saw that the Sword of Protection could cause a trauma that left a permanent scar at He-Man's face. I believe that the Sword of Power could be a similar case, since it's a magical weapon too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    There are some good points here.

This is just a random guess that could be totally wrong, but I wonder if the fact that he did not turn back into Adam voluntarily - and (possibly) more importantly, someone else actually called upon the power of Grayskull, effectively "ripping" it away from He-Man/Adam - that could be what caused Adam to still be wounded after he changed back. Perhaps had he changed from He-Man to Adam voluntarily, the power would have healed him.

I'm going to have to read issue 1 again to check on a couple of things. From what I recall, Mumm-Ra just knew that Adam was He-Man. Either the Ancient Spirits told him that, or he saw it in his 'pool' that allows him to see various things - which IMO would still mean that the Ancient Spirits of Evil would also be aware of it. And if that was the case, with Skeletor working with the Ancient Spirits in this series, I guess I had assumed that, even if it would have been recently acquired info for him, that he was therefore also aware of the dual identity. But then in this issue, Mumm-Ra tries to bargain with Skeletor by offering to tell him He-Man's secret identity, which Skeletor brushes off because he is about to become very powerful.

And with Skeletor apparently not being aware of that information, it seems even stranger to me that he would know to say "By the power of Grayskull" when using the sword of power. If he knew how to use the sword and what to say, I would figure it in part would be because he was aware of how Adam transformed into He-Man.

It's not a big deal, just something that seems a little odd to me.
    I presume that the Ancient Spirits of Evil passed on Skeletor the info that he needed to use the Sword of Power, once Mumm-Ra has acquired the Sword. Otherwise Skeletor couldn't know how to use its power to free them from the Black Pyramid, or against Thundercats. But they didn't give him the secret identity of the wielder. This was the info that they gave only to Mumm-Ra, because he was the one that was supposed to retrieve it. Why? Perhaps because Skeletor doesn't care about who He-Man really is, as he stated in this issue. Perhaps the Ancient Spirits of Evil didn't trust him enough (and in fact as was revealed from this issue they would be right to do not) to pass him all the info.

The other candidate for passing info about the Power Sword to Skeletor, are the objects that make him aware of the Ancient Spirits of Evil in the first place i.e. the Golden Disks of Knowledge. In the Filmation cartoon was never revealed why they have been so important (apart from the Snake Mountain info) to the Council of Wisdom, Zodac, or even to the Overlords of the Eternal Dimension, to cause Zanthor's punishment? What are the info that they carry? Are some kind of highly secret cosmic database? If that's the case it's possible that they contain vital information about Grayskull and its Powers. But we will have to wait and see, if this will touched further.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianCBaer View Post
    This was a fun issue! I think I preferred #1 because it had more story to it, but #2's fight scene was pretty great. I liked seeing He-Man a little more vulnerable than usual without his sword.

Re: the tone for a movie, I feel like this is a pretty good middle ground between the goofy cartoon and something *too* hardcore. The impaling in #1 was a bit too extreme overall, but I'd say it worked in the context of the story.
    I read your Review Brian!

Once again excellent job and review! Keep up the good work.

And i agree that Williams's artwork was stellar here! The battle's choreography, He-Man's struggle etc are amazing! "A feast for the eyes" i would say.
    Last edited by granamyr80; November 17, 2016 at 08:32am.

Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    I think Skeletor was still the narrator, unless I missed something obvious. Either way, I like sassy Skeletor.

Loved that the book was essentially one long fight scene. He-Man kickin' ass is always great to see.
    On re-read it seems clear that Lion-O is the narrator as is plays the same trick the first issue does. The narration is in consistently colored boxes, and when you get to the last page the colored narration box is clearly spoken by Lion-O.

Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post

I read your Review Brian!

Once again excellent job and review! Keep up the good work.

And i agree that Williams's artwork was stellar here! The battle's choreography, He-Man's struggle etc are amazing! "A feast for the eyes" i would say.
    Thanks! It's great to know you guys are reading.

It's always fun to try to look critically at something I'm enjoying as a fan. I think this comic is going to be a great jumping-on point for casual nerds or people who used to love the toys and cartoons. I'm definitely going to send a copy of the trade paperback to my older brother once the miniseries is finished.

That PlanetEternia.de guy Sir Reilly's Avatar
    I gave the issue 4 1/2out of 5 Happy Duncans. I love this series!

http://www.planeteternia.de/cgi-bin/news.pl?newID=3127
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Reilly View Post
    WOW!!!

Absolutely fantastic Review! Detailed and with a lot of references to the franchises's story, cartoons and toys! And i agree this was a really entertaining issue, that while being action packed provided a lot of fun moments. Also the "Duncan's score" is brilliant! Thanks for sharing it with us!

If i could ask one thing from Super 7. I couldn't sub for the Thundercats's line. But if S7 succeed on having the Thundercats's licence, i hope that they will give us some cool MOTU/Thundercats two packs. And my personal preference would be a Tri-Jaw/Trap-Klops/Vulturepants 3-pack! And yes exactly with THESE names on the package. I' m still reading this scene from the comic, and can't stop laughing. One of the funniest things that i' ve read in any comic book lately.
    Last edited by granamyr80; November 18, 2016 at 09:47am.

Man alive! I have wanted a comic like this for years! It's sooo good to see HE-MAN and gang plus the T-CATS in their Classic looks. I cannot find any interest in Hipster, Modernized versions of these characters, at all. I hope more minis like this can keep popping up.
    Odd Man Out

Widget
    The Good
    - Excellent action sequences. The art may not look pretty, but Freddie Williams could sure layout and flow a long battle. I finally got to see Beast-Man and Monkian team up, something I used to do as a kid!
    - Interesting that the writers have chosen to explore some weird corners of He-Man: He-Man fighting without the sword for a while and injuries to Adam.
    - Skeletor punking down Mumm-Ra (for now) was awesome.
    - Props for shifting the focus to Lion-O at the end after two MOTU issues.
    - Tricked me with the narrator- AGAIN!
    - Great coloring.

The Bad
    - Too quick a read.
    - Some of the faces and bodies weren't drawn to my liking.
    - With the way Skeletor easily dismissed The Ancient Spirits of Evil and Mumm-Ra, I believe we may see a predicable ending (which may be OK as long as the comics continue to be entertaining).

Buy this comic! Issue 2 was better than Issue 1, and I liked Issue 1. I am now VERY excited to read this comic every month, and for Super 7 to get Thundercats to play along with their Ultimate MOTU line.

Heroic Warrior
    An awesome article created by the popular site Screen Rant about the first two issues of the He-Man/Thundercats crossover!

http://screenrant.com/he-man-thunder...mic-crossover/

As the article stated:
    "Forget other comic crossovers: the Masters of the Universe and the Thundercats is the team up we never knew we needed."
    Last edited by granamyr80; November 20, 2016 at 07:54am.