Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Skylanders: Spyro's Adventures

Skylanders: Spyro's Adventures

Anyone else take the plunge on these for your kids or for yourselves? I was totally enticed by the fun-factor of the figurines (great character designs) and the tech. When I read the positive reviews of the game itself, I was sold.

TRU was having a buy 2 get 1 free sale on the figures so I got the game, 3 3-packs and 3 1-packs. And the tower case... LOL. The tower case is awesome, though there's NO WAY the portal can go in there as show, which is slightly annoying.

I think I got most of the figures I want that are available. There are two that aren't available yet and I want the Target exclusive too.

Hoping to actually play the game soon!

This game is really tempting me to buy as a gift, what I'm curious about most of all is the actual gameplay. (btw I will get that pic to you seen, sorry)
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Evil & armed for combat TJRules's Avatar
    Soooooo glad I found this thread! LOVE this game! I only have a few skylanders (six total) but what a fun game this is! And like you said JonWes, the sculpting and colors of the figurines are excellent. Went to TRU to buy some more the other day, and they were completely GONE! I have to have them all.
    Support Green Mini-Comic Trap Jaw in MOTUC!

Land Shark in MOTUC!!!!!! Do it Mattel!!! Do it NOW!!!!

Support The Power & Honor Foundation

Power-Con/ThunderCon... now going green with TMNT!

Yeah my wife went out on a limb and bought it for me for Christmas; the 3DS version. I thought "neat!" but was planning on playing the games I was super lookin' forward to. Then I played Skylanders first.

*sigh*

Collecting and video games is a dangerous mix. On top of that, during Christmas day, my nephew got the console version and we played that sucker for half the day. After that my wife saw it and thought it looked awesome, so we took some Christmas cash and bought the PS3 version! Now we're working on both versions (surprisingly, there is good reasons to get both versions; the 3DS one is a fantastic platforming game). Sad part is that now there are NO SKYLANDERS. ANYWHERE. I mean I looked at ALL the stores within a reasonable distance from my apartment: that's 3 Targets, 4 Gamestops, 3 Wal-Marts, 2 K-Marts, 3 Meijers, Sears, 2 Best Buys, and 3 TRUs (not all in one day, mind you). All empty. And not like, only stuck with the crappy ones no one wants - NONE. Completely cleaned out. We are missing a wind element figure, and we can't find a single thing.

Sooooo...we're kinda putting the game on hiatus until someone can stock some more. The game creators apparently know about this and commented on thier facebook that this game took off WAY better than they expected, so they didn't have the supply to meet the overwhelming demand, and that they'll hopefully be making up for that sometime in the middle of this month. Here's hoping!
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    Yeah my wife went out on a limb and bought it for me for Christmas; the 3DS version. I thought "neat!" but was planning on playing the games I was super lookin' forward to. Then I played Skylanders first.

*sigh*

Collecting and video games is a dangerous mix. On top of that, during Christmas day, my nephew got the console version and we played that sucker for half the day. After that my wife saw it and thought it looked awesome, so we took some Christmas cash and bought the PS3 version! Now we're working on both versions (surprisingly, there is good reasons to get both versions; the 3DS one is a fantastic platforming game). Sad part is that now there are NO SKYLANDERS. ANYWHERE. I mean I looked at ALL the stores within a reasonable distance from my apartment: that's 3 Targets, 4 Gamestops, 3 Wal-Marts, 2 K-Marts, 3 Meijers, Sears, 2 Best Buys, and 3 TRUs (not all in one day, mind you). All empty. And not like, only stuck with the crappy ones no one wants - NONE. Completely cleaned out. We are missing a wind element figure, and we can't find a single thing.

Sooooo...we're kinda putting the game on hiatus until someone can stock some more. The game creators apparently know about this and commented on thier facebook that this game took off WAY better than they expected, so they didn't have the supply to meet the overwhelming demand, and that they'll hopefully be making up for that sometime in the middle of this month. Here's hoping!
    so I wanted to buy a version as a gift, the boy has a 3ds and a wii, now you're telling me there's good reason to buy both?? AUGH!!!!
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

i got it for my kids awhile back. and for xmas, they got a lot more of the figs. but the main story is WAY too short and we plowed through it (before xmas - just days after buying the game). since xmas, i think my kids have played it a few more times.

seems as tho i wasted my money.

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    I picked up the 3DS version on Black Friday, becuase I couldn't pass up the awesome sale TRU was having on it. I ended up REALLY liking the game, and found myself itching to collect more figures!

Now I'm in the same boat as everyone else...there are no Skylanders anywhere! Ack! I really hope some stores are able to restock them soon. I want to wait to pick the game back up until I have some more characters.

I've also been toying with the idea of picking up the PS3 version to try out. But I think I'll wait until the stores are all restocked first.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

What is this game all about anyways? I did some pitch work on this ages ago and had no idea what it was except that it was potentially a new PS3 game, I didn't even recognise or register that it was Spyro I was colouring!
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Depends on the version you buy; console or 3DS. The console one is kinda like Gauntlet, if you've ever played that. You run around and solve mild puzzles while killing the next waves of enemies - it's fun 'cause each Skylander is SO different. As you go, you use different elements of Skylanders to open gates, give you more power in a certain area, or use them to find secrets. There's no jumping in the console version; just running around and doin' stuff. The Skylanders are put into the game via portal - you put one on, it appears in the game. Same goes for the second player (two player only). Once you take 'em off, the level and abilities are saved right to the figure (as well as any hats you put on 'em and thier nickname that you gave them). Pretty simple!

The 3DS one is more like an action platformer, like Mario 64 only with weapons and guns and whatever else your Skylanders have. The portal works a little differently - you go to a guy in the game, ask him to use the portal, then you turn on your portal, put on a Skylander, and sync it with the game. You can do this with two Skylanders at a time and swtich between those two freely in levels. If you want to use different Skylanders, you have to be OUT of a level and ask the dude again. Saving them is a little different too...they only save once they've been put back on the game, so it seems like you can only save them by taking them out and putting them back on again. Not sure if I need to do that, but that's the best I can figure so far. Anyway, the gameplay is totally different, like I said. You can run and jump, and fighting is MUCH more fast-paced. If you have a 3DS, it's totally worth it to get both, because each Skylander fights quite differently on both the console and the 3DS.

And that's it!
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Good explanation, Alexx! Couldn't have said it better myself. Has anyone beat this game yet? I've been playing for like two months now and haven't beat Kaos yet. I've got six Skylanders and still can't do it. Maybe I just need to upgrade them.

In all, this is a great game. Highly recommended!

Quote Originally Posted by TJRules View Post
    Good explanation, Alexx! Couldn't have said it better myself. Has anyone beat this game yet? I've been playing for like two months now and haven't beat Kaos yet. I've got six Skylanders and still can't do it. Maybe I just need to upgrade them.

In all, this is a great game. Highly recommended!
    I'm at the final fight now. It glitched on me the last time I tried it and it got stuck - the game was still working but no enemies, special attacks or the boss were coming back onto the battlefield. I just kept running around waiting for something to happen. Very frustrating.

Sounds cool!
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Quote Originally Posted by Croaker View Post
    I'm at the final fight now. It glitched on me the last time I tried it and it got stuck - the game was still working but no enemies, special attacks or the boss were coming back onto the battlefield. I just kept running around waiting for something to happen. Very frustrating.
    That's weird. What console are you playing on?

Quote Originally Posted by TJRules View Post
    That's weird. What console are you playing on?
    Mine's the PS3 version. It might have had something to do with the accessories that I was using. I think the glitch happened shortly after I used the time twister.

Found a toy store here that still has some Skylanders.
    Because they are selling them for $19.99 each!
    The three packs were $44.99
    Last edited by Croaker; January 20, 2012 at 10:05am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Croaker View Post
    Found a toy store here that still has some Skylanders.
    Because they are selling them for $19.99 each!
    The three packs were $44.99
    HA! Yeah, people are goin' nuts with these. Problem is that when the stores finally get thier stock back in (and they are as we speak) there's gona be a huge vaccum when everyone gets what they want and stop looking. All the jerks that are buying these en masse and selling them on ebay for 80 dollars a pop are gona be sitting on 'em soon. 'Course they should be sitting on them NOW, but for some reason some people think the 40 to 80 dollars is acceptable.

Anyway, the stores are quickly getting stuff in finally. Targets, Wal-Marts, and Best Buys have regular stock now. It's still going fast, but they are getting them in regularly and eventually people will have what they want. Gamestops are the problem right now; they're getting in new ones like Cynder and that comes in a small box of 6! So if you don't hit a Gamestop EARLY you won't get 'em (that and Gamestop employees are grabbing things before anyone even has a chance).

I really like this game, but I haven't gotten too far in it. I realized it was going to be easy to zip through, and I still want to play/build up some characters that aren't available yet. So I'm waiting for the final wave of figures to be out before I dive back in. Plus I've got a few other games to play in the mean time. So which characters do you guys enjoy the most? I love the variety of attacks they all have.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    I really like this game, but I haven't gotten too far in it. I realized it was going to be easy to zip through, and I still want to play/build up some characters that aren't available yet. So I'm waiting for the final wave of figures to be out before I dive back in. Plus I've got a few other games to play in the mean time. So which characters do you guys enjoy the most? I love the variety of attacks they all have.
    i forget his name, but i like that little tech dude with the two guns that comes with the game the most. i usually would switch between him and drillbit (i think that's his name; walmart exclusive - also tech) because of his charge attack which i use to dodge things.

Quote Originally Posted by EldestSon View Post
    i forget his name, but i like that little tech dude with the two guns that comes with the game the most. i usually would switch between him and drillbit (i think that's his name; walmart exclusive - also tech) because of his charge attack which i use to dodge things.
    Trigger Happy. He's one of my faves as well. I use mostly him and Drobot (also tech).

Heads up folks: Just got back from Target and they had a TON of the newest stuff! (Including Whirlwind, Cynder, Double Trouble, and Slam Bam). They even had enough for my wife and I to choose the ones with the best paint jobs! All our hunting is over in one fell swoop.

WW isn't new. i got him before christmas. he's the target exclusive.

Sorry, I meant that the wave that Target got is a new wave, and Whirlwind is no longer exclusive. Target just happened to get that wave, but Gamestops have been getting it before Target (though we never caught it). So Whirlwind is technically new, now that she's not an exclusive anymore.

It's all new (and awesome) to me, so bring it on. Just got Voodood the other day. Love the tripwire ability he has.

So I finally beat the game. Only finished 37% of the game with 9/30 Skylanders. Got Sonic Boom and Prysm Break today. Love both of these guys!

List the characters you have so far!!!!!!!
    Last edited by TJRules; January 28, 2012 at 12:51am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I got Skylanders a week ago and not only is it a load of fun to play but the little figures are so freaking AWESOME. I also got an extra single figure as well as the Darklight Crypt Adventure Pack.

So the characters I own are (in order of most to least liked, tho I love them all)

1. Trigger Happy
    2. Ghost Roaster
    3. Spyro
    4. Gill Grunt
    5. Flameslinger

I also have the Healing Elixir and the Time Twist Hourglass
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    These FINALLY started showing back up in stores around my neck of the woods. My Wal-Mart finally restocked, and I went into TRU last night and they had a full section PLUS several shopping carts stuffed with them! Let's see how long they last.

I picked up a few. I can't remember his name right now, but the Zeus looking guy....LOVE him! Such a cool looking character!

Also, TRU has exclusive "Legendary" Skylanders now, I noticed. They are some of the same characters already released, just painted gold and black. TRU was LOADED with several of the same one: Legendary Trigger Happy. I'm sure I'll end up grabbing him at some point.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

I assume you are talking about "Lightning Rod" the bearded guy on a cloud throwing thunderbolts
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery