Thread: Liquid Plastic & Molding Rubber from Micheals ok to make figures with?

Court Magician

Liquid Plastic & Molding Rubber from Micheals ok to make figures with?

Hey All,

Does anyone know or have they tried using the Liquid Plastic and\or the mold making rubber from
    the Micheals craft store to make action figure parts with? I ask as I have a Micheals local to me
    but I don't have access to the two compounds I see recomeneded, those being Polytek Easyflo & Micro-Mark's 1to1.

Any help would be awesome,

Thanks,

Shawn

Court Magician
    nobody has any input?

I've never used casting/mold making materials from Michaels. I've made molds with liquid latex and cast pieces with both epoxy and Allumilite. More recently, I've used Smooth-On products. If you explain what you're trying to do, maybe I or others can help you.

Always Lurking Around Son of Keldor's Avatar
    Those products are a huge waste of money. they are mostly for crafters if you want to get into molding and casting, i can suggest smooth on products.

A bunch of us use their products, I've been using their trial kits for over 10 years, I just recently started using clear resins for castings.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...vDMb05IIKbFkhg

There are a bunch of other great products out there too its just a matter of doing your research.

Be safe and make sure you use this stuff in a well ventilated area and definitely not in your house if you have kids or pets.

=)
    Can I get a "Hell Yeah" for Scorpia!!!

My Trader Feedback thread:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eldor+feedback

Court Magician
    Thanks for the info! Yes I am familiar with smooth-on and the other company mentioned was polytech as recomended in glassman's tutoritals. I asked about the micheals stuff as I have a micheals store locally and if it was any good, which now I know from you guys that it isn't, I was gonna buy local instead of having to mail order. I will mail order what I need it seems and just have to wait for the stuff to arrive.

Is the polytech easy-flo 60 still recomended or should I be using the newer easy-flo 90 newer version?

I plan on making molds for action figure parts to build my own figures for both heman and star wars size figures (6in and 3.75in figures).

I use the dragon skin fast for the mold. It is REALLY strong and flexible so I use it as a 1 piece mold instead of 2 pieces.

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by Eterniandreams View Post
    I use the dragon skin fast for the mold. It is REALLY strong and flexible so I use it as a 1 piece mold instead of 2 pieces.
    SO I assume dragon skin fast is by smooth-on? I think I might be best to with 2 peice molds as I don't think I'd be able to push whole torso figure peices out without
    damaging the mold and I hope to be able to get more than one pull out of each cast if I can.

Always Lurking Around Son of Keldor's Avatar
    I've never used dragon skin but i've heard its very sturdy and a high tear wt to it so you should get several pulls from it, but to be safe I would suggest the 2 part mold.

PM you this evening when i get some time to pull out my box in the workshop of stuff.

=)
    Can I get a "Hell Yeah" for Scorpia!!!

My Trader Feedback thread:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eldor+feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Son of Keldor View Post
    I've never used dragon skin but i've heard its very sturdy and a high tear wt to it so you should get several pulls from it, but to be safe I would suggest the 2 part mold.

PM you this evening when i get some time to pull out my box in the workshop of stuff.

=)
    Any chance you could PM me some recommended info about mold making also bud? I have been chomping at the bit to give mold making a try. But I have no idea whats good to use or what to buy at all.

Quote Originally Posted by nintendo2600 View Post
    SO I assume dragon skin fast is by smooth-on? I think I might be best to with 2 peice molds as I don't think I'd be able to push whole torso figure peices out without
    damaging the mold and I hope to be able to get more than one pull out of each cast if I can.
    Actually, you can!
    It is from Smooth on.
    I push heads through the neck hole.
    It is also transparant, so it is easy to cut if you do want a 2 piece mold later.

Reynolds has "Mold Making Seminars" all over the country throughout the year. I went to one years ago and it was a great crash course. You can get more info http://www.reynoldsam.com/Reynolds-A...m_medium=email

I've also learned a lot by just stopping in one of their retail stores and talking to the people who work there. They are a wealth of knowledge and you can also see and test samples of the products.

Would you say this DragonSkin would be good for casting loin cloths in? So, not so much as a mold medium but the actual casted medium? I'm trying to find something that has enough flex to slide over the crotch piece but be durable enough for posing/play and paintable...

Heroic Warrior
    For a flexible cape or loin cloth you want to cast it in ' polyplastiflex'

Quote Originally Posted by Wulf-Gar View Post
    Would you say this DragonSkin would be good for casting loin cloths in? So, not so much as a mold medium but the actual casted medium? I'm trying to find something that has enough flex to slide over the crotch piece but be durable enough for posing/play and paintable...
    I'm no expert but, I'd use a semi rigid like 45d or 60d. I'd worry about longevity with something like dragonskin.

Court Magician
    So what is the final verdict on which products I'm best to buy for a)making the molds and b)casting the figure peices please?