Page 8 of 38 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: NYCC - News, Reveals, Pics ....

Ram Mans bio is fine. I'm o.k. With the name Krass...like these names mean anything anyway.
    Netossa is another story. Terrible! So it takes half the bio to say she's an expert marksman....only in net catching?? Net catching...this is her only skill as a marksman. Maybe she should quit the rebellion and take on her own fishing enterprise.

Quote Originally Posted by tumalu View Post
    Well, given her skin color I would find a bit odd for her to have Russian origins
    I know black women named Natasha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    Krass is German for rude.
    its english for rude too! but spelt crass
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Yeah, as much as I love MYP, I never much cared for all of the main characters having been around so many years before, on both sides. I mean, how old are they?

Snappy Threader
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    Yeah, as much as I love MYP, I never much cared for all of the main characters having been around so many years before, on both sides. I mean, how old are they?
    Haha I agree. Some of them are 30! Sorry couldn't resist. They did seem to age quite well, not looking a whole lot different in He-Man's time...

SNARRRLLL's biggest fan! MISSILE-TOE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ntumbuluku View Post
    Spoiler alert! Sheesh! Some of us didn't want to see that, Missle!
    Oops! My bad! Fixed now
    MOTUC WISH LIST
    : SNARRRLLL:

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iron_pride View Post
    Haha I agree. Some of them are 30! Sorry couldn't resist. They did seem to age quite well, not looking a whole lot different in He-Man's time...
    I know...Mekaneck in particular sounds very youthful for a character who was around 20 years before modern day.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Granted, the original names sounded silly, but for children they were fun and evocative. I'm not against given them a proper name, but since these characters have carried their aliases for over 30 years now, I definitely feel that some more thought should be put into the process. They certainly deserve something more befitting than Hector, Kyle, Mackenzie or Gur'rull Gu'Rrooowarrrk. Do it right or not at all ...
    Agreed. But to really do it right, they would need to develop Eternian languages first. Except for Lubic, Marlena and maybe Adam (and possibly Evil Lyn, Beast Man and Tri-Klops, if going by the old bible canon regarding their origin), the "real" names of the other characters shouldn't be from Earthly languages (be it English, Romance or whatever). In Avatar, they befittingly gave Pandoran people Na'vi names (Neytiri, Eywa, Mo'at, Tsu'tey, etc.); it would have been ridiculous to name them "John" or "Susan" or "François".

In a few cases, Mr. Neitlich serendipitously found a name that actually sounds like it could be in the native tongue of the relevant race/species ("Raqquill Rqazz" sounds just like what could come out of Beast Man's mouth) or has a certain memorable ring to it ("Karak Nul"). More often, though, they look like mere random gobbledygook ("Gur'rull Gu'Rrooowarrrk", "Kreann’ot N’Horosh", "Trydor Esooniux"). And too frequently, they are straight, completely out-of-place, Earthly names. Seriously, "Vivian Redretta"? "MacKenzie"? "Beatrix"? "Kyle"? I didn't know there was an Italy or a Scotland or a Greece on planet Eternia.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Quote Originally Posted by Barezz View Post
    Both are pretty nice I like how Ram-man's references his original mini comic
    Except originally he was a highwayman who tries to make He-Man pay him to use his road. That is what loved about the mini-comic - Ram-Man starts out bad WITHOUT Skeletor "corrupting" him.

But this time he's a minor hero with some magic armour. But he only uses it once his village suffers an especially brutal attack. He doesn't bother with it until then
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

I don't mind the name Krass for Ram-Man... as a last name. I just don't think it works well though for a first name. He should have a real name similar to the other "original" heroes (Adam, Duncan, Malcolm, etc). Maybe something like Braxton Krass.
    Last edited by Captain Atkin; October 12, 2012 at 07:58pm.

I think the name KRASS is fine seeing as how Eternia would obviously have a completely different language than anything from Earth. KRASS could simply be the Eternian version of Gregory, Stanley, or Vincent.

But, as a guy who pays practically no attention to the bios, I guess it's really easy for me to say that.
    Always Expect the Unexpected!

I think the best way to tell what's coming next year is to take a look at the mini comic. It's 2014s schedule that has changed not 2013, so expect a lot of unexpected characters for 2013. Like Karate, Fang Man and Octavia were.

I must agree with some of these comments. The “real” names, a lot of them, are utterly dreadful. The worst offender is Mer-Man's one. Sounds like something from Sponge Bob. Saying that, I have no problem with more "Earthly" names. Let's not forget that Man-At-Arms has always been called Duncan.

Heroic Warrior
    In other NYCC news, the "final version" Hoverboard has shown up and it's not a pretty sight:

Here's a shortlist of problems with it as raised by a member of therpf.com: graphics badly done, footpad wrong, footstrap wrong, edges rounded instead of angled, green stripes the wrong colour, recesses where velcro is etc

No surprise that fan reaction has largely been outrage, with people fairly claiming fraud - namely a bait and switch and a litany of lies on the part of Toyguru - to the point where several people have stated a wish that they were at NYCC so they could personally rip Toyguru a new one.

Initially, I wanted to preorder a Castle Grayskull and th0ought that maybe with such high ticket items, they might actually produce what they say they will. After this though I simply cannot trust Mattel.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Honestly, I find the 'real names' kind of pointless. I acknowledge that the 'normal names' are really "CODE NAMES'... but I really DON'T need to know their 'real' names. GiJoe is a PERFECT example...

All the Joes had 'Real names' but they weren't USED. They were locked away in a super secret file cabinet never to be seen outside the top brass. This protected their families, loved ones and made them more 'anonymous'. As it SHOULD be.

Duke was 'DUKE'. Nobody called him 'conrad' around the base... he was 'Duke.' Same with Shipwreck, Clutch, Scarlett, and all the rest.

Sooooo honestly, I don't get TOOOOO upset about the 'real names' since to me, they REALLY don't matter. Nobody ANYWERE is going to call Merman 'Squidish'... it's just a useless bit of trivia to tuck in the back of my mind
    Great point, although I think TG probably gave the characters real names as a way of making them legitimate characters instead of neat toys. There is always some story where we visit Ram Man's home village or meet some relative and discover his real name. This could go for almost any character.

Unless the name is actually good (I see Karak Nul sticking), I think most fans are going to refer to the characters by their "nicknames". It's like Halo...most fans refer to the aliens as their nicknames, not their actual alien race names. The Jiralhanae are called the Brutes, Sangheili are the Elites and so on. Like you said, G.I. Joe is also like this. With a few exceptions, most of those characters aren't referred to by their real names.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    Agreed. But to really do it right, they would need to develop Eternian languages first. Except for Lubic, Marlena and maybe Adam (and possibly Evil Lyn, Beast Man and Tri-Klops, if going by the old bible canon regarding their origin), the "real" names of the other characters shouldn't be from Earthly languages (be it English, Romance or whatever). In Avatar, they befittingly gave Pandoran people Na'vi names (Neytiri, Eywa, Mo'at, Tsu'tey, etc.); it would have been ridiculous to name them "John" or "Susan" or "François".

In a few cases, Mr. Neitlich serendipitously found a name that actually sounds like it could be in the native tongue of the relevant race/species ("Raqquill Rqazz" sounds just like what could come out of Beast Man's mouth) or has a certain memorable ring to it ("Karak Nul"). More often, though, they look like mere random gobbledygook ("Gur'rull Gu'Rrooowarrrk", "Kreann’ot N’Horosh", "Trydor Esooniux"). And too frequently, they are straight, completely out-of-place, Earthly names. Seriously, "Vivian Redretta"? "MacKenzie"? "Beatrix"? "Kyle"? I didn't know there was an Italy or a Scotland or a Greece on planet Eternia.
    Names like duncan, evelyn, or adam? True eternian names lol.

Is the hoverboard different than the prototype?

One major difference in the Hoverboard and MOTUC: 4 Horsemen.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Roton 4) Dragstor 5) Saurod 6) Karg 7) Lodar 8) Mask of Power Demons 9) TC Skeletor 10) FF He-Man 11) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 12) Road Ripper 13) Lord Masque 14) Filmation Teela

scaly 2014 Subscriber! Dragonblaster's Avatar
    Krass... in Germany that actually means rad or extreme.
    While it might seem a bit funny, it does fit the character.
    Last edited by Dragonblaster; October 12, 2012 at 09:14pm.
    Press down on dragon's head. It will bite off your frickin' fingers !!!

Starchild needs some love Morningstar's Avatar
    I wish Netossa bio says something about Spinerella. Come on, this is an adult collector line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Krass is German for rude.
    Maybe it's Scott's nickname, and like Spector decided to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Atkin View Post
    I don't mind the name Krass for Ram-Man... as a last name. I just don't think it works well though for a first name. He should have a real name similar to the other "original" heroes (Adam, Duncan, Malcolm, etc). Maybe something like Braxton Krass.
    I would have preferred like Rammond Krass, hence where the "Ram Man" ironically could have originated, aside from some stupid failed attempt to break an unbreakable magic drawbridge.
    But since they didn't specify his full name, and Krass sounds like another nickname to me, I will call him Rammond....if I cared for real names....He's always going to be Ram Man to me.

Like Netossa, could have also been a play on her name....not that I can think of one at the moment....
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; October 12, 2012 at 09:19pm.
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

I like the bios; I'm fine with the names.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

Heroic Warrior Matthew L. Martin's Avatar
    Well, unless there's something I've missed, we're never given a clear timeframe on how long passes between the first scene of "The Beginning" and the rest. I could see it being anywhere from 10 to 20 years. Season 2 complicates things because some material suggests that the Great Unrest happens after Keldor's uprising, and other material that it leads up to it.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    Maybe it's Scott's nickname, and like Spector decided to use it.

I would have preferred like Rammond Krass, hence where the "Ram Man" ironically could have originated, aside from some stupid failed attempt to break an unbreakable magic drawbridge.
    But since they didn't specify his full name, and Krass sounds like another nickname to me, I will call him Rammond....if I cared for real names....He's always going to be Ram Man to me.

Like Netossa, could have also been a play on her name....not that I can think of one at the moment....
    Natasha is my choice
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

I looked at the pictures and beside poor Karatti who lost his pants, i noticed some other things:

Dawg-O-Tor, the Talon Fighter pilot, misses his yellow see through visor?

Why does Netossas blister card sticker says "Princess of Powers"? I thought they decided to make them Great Rebellion and from now on use that fraction sticker?

Or and here comes a conspiracy theory, they plan on 13 Rebellion members and one XL size for the Swiftwind blister card as there are 13 small sized stickers on the sheet and one larger one and for those who want to stick with PRINCESS OF POWERS can do so the rest can change them and since there has been five Rebel characters, one three pack and one announced it would leave six more spots?

Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    I looked at the pictures and beside poor Karatti who lost his pants, i noticed some other things:

Dawg-O-Tor, the Talon Fighter pilot, misses his yellow see through visor?

Why does Netossas blister card sticker says "Princess of Powers"? I thought they decided to make them Great Rebellion and from now on use that fraction sticker?

Or and here comes a conspiracy theory, they plan on 13 Rebellion members and one XL size for the Swiftwind blister card as there are 13 small sized stickers on the sheet and one larger one and for those who want to stick with PRINCESS OF POWERS can do so the rest can change them and since there has been five Rebel characters, one three pack and one announced it would leave six more spots?
    All the original POP toys & Adora will be under the POP logo, not sure about the Filmation ones....I think they will say The Great Rebellion on them since
    they have the stickers for production now, but for continuity, they will likely have Princess of Power on them as well.

And prototypes break all the time, all we have seen is a King He-Man missing pints on his crown, and we were told it was broke, and all points will be there.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; October 12, 2012 at 09:50pm.
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!