Page 7 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: NYCC - News, Reveals, Pics ....

Well, Ram Man is pretty much everything listed here, so no problems, right? (Well, maybe not disgusting, lol)
    A badass, cool, unrefined oaf. Pretty much sums him up.

Well to be fair, they're all Romance Languages, and the words all likely come from the same Latin root crassus which means thick. So I'm OK with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Arvulis View Post
    And is french for Dirty/Disgusting
    Crasse, indeed ...

And there's also 'crassus' which means 'fat' in Latin.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by whbinder View Post
    Well to be fair, they're all Romance Languages, and the words all likely come from the same Latin root crassus which means thick. So I'm OK with that.
    I agree that the word comes from the Latin root, but German and English are not Romanic languages.
    Last edited by Crusader; October 12, 2012 at 05:43pm.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

same feeling as before regarding the bios... as long as I get the figure... they can name them whatever they want for all I care. lol

Gorilla beastussapien Beastmangler's Avatar
    My point with not liking "Krass" is that it's another lazy naming device. I thought the point of giving these characters "real" names was to "humanize" them, so to speak, and give them individual personalities. Instead of Snout Spout we get Jaxton and instead of Mer-man we get Squidish Rex, not that those names are any better but they give a name to an individual.

Might as well have named them Pakydurm and Fischy.

Wait, that may have been better!!

I thought Jaxton was Snout Spout's name in the EU comics.

OK, Now all I need is a second Head for Netossa that looks like a Completely different woman... Lame Aunt Viv joke, but that's all I can think of with her real name.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now who shall I fight for?

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    I agree that the word comes from the Latin root, but German and English are not Romanic languages.
    Quite correct, my response was poorly worded and lazy.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Well, I guess this isn't canon anymore...as far as Ram Man.

Maybe Beast Man isn't around when Skeletor uses Ram Man in this canon. "Me thinks he cannot succeed."

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpia View Post
    I really wish the POP characters' bios would allude more to their lives on Etheria. What's Netossa's story? The bio could have at least alluded to her arrival in 'When Whispering Woods Last Bloomed' and, whilst I understand Mattel will want to distance themselves from anything likely to cause controversy, Netossa's companionship with Spinnerella could have given us more of an insight into her character and WHY fighting for freedom is so important to her.

I like that she's a marksman (woman...). I like that she hasn't been made so integral and vital to the plot. I like that they didn't just stuff her in the 'laser gate to Eternia' to fill space on the page. But I kinda wanted something more, just as I did with Frosta's.

Ho-hum.
    These bios were supposedly written before gaining the Filmation rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    And Netossa's first name sounds like a female character in an old school black sit-com and her last name feels like a female character in one from today.
    Aunt Viv from the Fresh Prince of Bel Air!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

Ram Man's real name has ruined the figure for me. Going to send him and the other 40 back for a refund.

Crystal Moonbeam & Shezar The All American's Avatar
    I'm not a big fan of the "real names". It's fine for something like G.I.JOE since they are from this planet (just military codenames), but maybe on Eternia, your traits, experience, or skills earn you your name. Perhaps it's an Eternian culture thing or just tradition in that part of the universe.

Here are the written out bios.

Ram Man - Heroic Human Battering Ram

Growing up just outside the Vine Jungle, Krass' village was always under threat from the savage Beastmen. During a particulary brutal attack, he donned his familiy's ancient mystical armor that magically absorbs raw force. Using it to ram into his enemies and drive their attack earned Krass the nickname "Ram Man". These actions were quickly detected by Skeletor who recruited him in a scheme to ram through the Jaw Bridge of Castle Grayskull. Realizing the error of his ways after seeing Skeletor attack He-Man, Ram Man switched sides, helping to defeat the Evil Lord of Destruction and save the Castle. He soon became a core member of the Masters of the Universe, using his iron-like body as a battering ram against evil!
    Netossa - Captivating Beauty

Hailing from the far reaches of Etheria, beyond the reach of the Horde, Vivian became an expert marksman, perfecting the art of net tossing to capture enemies and vandals. She is able to fool her adversaries by pretending not to notice that an evildoer is nearby. But if they get too close, she pulls back her cape's hidden drawstrings and the surprised culprit is captured inside of the net! After learning of Hordak's oppression, her only desire became to free Etheria and its people from their evil stronghold. With her exotic accent and elegant fashions, Netossa can be so helpful in wrapping up trouble!

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

heheh anyone else notice the pics on toyark that Karratii's nappy fell off ;P . still love that figure and the fighting foe men + woman also looking sweet love how they gear includes nods to the vehicles they where shown on.

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    I'm not a big fan of the "real names". It's fine for something like G.I.JOE since they are from this planet (just military codenames), but maybe on Eternia, your traits, experience, or skills earn you your name. Perhaps it's an Eternian culture thing or just tradition in that part of the universe.
    You don't come out of the womb as "Ram Man". Even Filmation gave Man-At-Arms and the Sorceress real names.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post

Aunt Viv from the Fresh Prince of Bel Air!
    Yes! Thank you! I couldn't remember which one Viv came from and am a bit ashamed that I forgot it was from the excellent Fresh Prince! But doesn't Redretta sound like it could be right out of Tyler Perry?
    Last edited by Mern-Ra; October 12, 2012 at 06:25pm.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

SNARRRLLL's biggest fan! MISSILE-TOE's Avatar

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...bs/randor4.jpg
    http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...ncilbattle.jpg

Maybe Beast Man isn't around when Skeletor uses Ram Man in this canon. "Me thinks he cannot succeed."
    I had to check to see if there was a conflict with the images from the upcoming 4th Mini-comic that depicts the above scene -

And interestingly enough,looking at the artwork, Ram-Man doesn't seem to be present in this canon...so it does fit with the bio.

Last edited by MISSILE-TOE; October 12, 2012 at 07:37pm.
    MOTUC WISH LIST
    : SNARRRLLL:

Crystal Moonbeam & Shezar The All American's Avatar
    You don't come out of the womb as "Ram Man". Even Filmation gave Man-At-Arms and the Sorceress real names.
    Maybe on Eternia you do, depending on where you are born.

Heroic Warrior
    Actually, "Ram Man" was exactly what my mom called my brother when he came out of her womb. Of course, he weighed over 12 pounds, so it did make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisware View Post
    Actually, "Ram Man" was exactly what my mom called my brother when he came out of her womb. Of course, he weighed over 12 pounds, so it did make sense.
    Wow! Sounds like he was Crassus!

Quote Originally Posted by Beastmangler View Post
    My point with not liking "Krass" is that it's another lazy naming device. I thought the point of giving these characters "real" names was to "humanize" them, so to speak, and give them individual personalities. Instead of Snout Spout we get Jaxton and instead of Mer-man we get Squidish Rex, not that those names are any better but they give a name to an individual.
    Granted, the original names sounded silly, but for children they were fun and evocative. I'm not against given them a proper name, but since these characters have carried their aliases for over 30 years now, I definitely feel that some more thought should be put into the process. They certainly deserve something more befitting than Hector, Kyle, Mackenzie or Gur'rull Gu'Rrooowarrrk. Do it right or not at all ...
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Quote Originally Posted by chrisware View Post
    Perhaps "Ram Infant" would have been a more appropriate nom de plum? And that's not Krass at all.
    Harken to the coming of RIO BLAST!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MISSILE-TOE View Post
    I had to check to see if there was a conflict with the images from the upcoming 4th Mini-comic that depicts the above scene -

[...]

And interestingly enough,looking at the artwork, Ram-Man doesn't seem to be present in this canon...so it does fit with the bio.
    Spoiler alert! Sheesh! Some of us didn't want to see that, Missle!

Bios sound cool!

Ram Man - I like it! Talks about the minicomic and gives a little bit about where he grew up. I really like the bit about the armor too! Gives his power some magical credibility while not taking away from the fact that he's just HUGE and strong. 'Cause ya know...I imagine you can't just put on the armor and take full advantage of it's powers unless you've got the strength and size to use and carry it.

Netossa - Ah, I got what I wanted from this bio! Little bits of info that gives me more to do with her powers. I LOVE that she's an expert marksman! Now I think a spear would really look good with her, though I know they don't wana use thier imaginations with the PoP figures for some reason, so we'll probably just get a blue sword at some point. Whatever - I'm sure I can find something for her. Anyway, I also love that she's good at pretending not to see the enemy; I can imagine her nonchalantly taking out enemies right when they get behind her. One after another they fall with each one thinking they got the drop on her! Really likin' her more and more now.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Krass? Shouldn't that be in Matty's bio?

Your support means more research for the Myostatin-challenged.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    Granted, the original names sounded silly, but for children they were fun and evocative. I'm not against given them a proper name, but since these characters have carried their aliases for over 30 years now, I definitely feel that some more thought should be put into the process. They certainly deserve something more befitting than Hector, Kyle, Mackenzie or Gur'rull Gu'Rrooowarrrk. Do it right or not at all ...
    Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    Honestly, I find the 'real names' kind of pointless. I acknowledge that the 'normal names' are really "CODE NAMES'... but I really DON'T need to know their 'real' names. GiJoe is a PERFECT example...

All the Joes had 'Real names' but they weren't USED. They were locked away in a super secret file cabinet never to be seen outside the top brass. This protected their families, loved ones and made them more 'anonymous'. As it SHOULD be.

Duke was 'DUKE'. Nobody called him 'conrad' around the base... he was 'Duke.' Same with Shipwreck, Clutch, Scarlett, and all the rest.

Sooooo honestly, I don't get TOOOOO upset about the 'real names' since to me, they REALLY don't matter. Nobody ANYWERE is going to call Merman 'Squidish'... it's just a useless bit of trivia to tuck in the back of my mind

I'm actually kind of GLAD... One of my biggest complaints about MYP was that He-man was the 'rookie'. In the old canons, He-man was the LEADER. Biggest Baddest dude, and he either fought or reformed everyone he came across.

I LOVE the Ram Man Mini-comic... and having him meet an already powered He-man and join the cause is much preferrabe to me than 'already there' when He-man starts.

Actually.... going by the OTHER precedents.... Are we sure this is ADAM that he meets? or would that Be 'Oolar?'