Thread: Who else saw The Great Mouse Detective when it came to theaters?

Heroic Warrior

Who else saw The Great Mouse Detective when it came to theaters?

Since there is gonna be a blu-ray coming this month which i pre-ordered and can't wait to replace my 2002 dvd to see it in high def.

I was wondering if anyone saw this gem in theaters as a kid? i did when it first came out when i was 5 and saw it in theaters 4 times as i loved it. I had the merchandise to it such as readalong book with cassette, storybook, coloring books, stickerbook, stuffed Basil and cookie crisp stickers. I met Basil and Dawson at Disneyland that summer which was awesome and even had a crush on Miss Kitty Mouse (Remember her? the stripper), as she was cute as hell for a mouse girl yet quite a risque character for a disney toon no doubt as i remembered when i first saw her i was blushing and felt funny, LOL. I also remembered when Fidget first popped out of the widow it scared the hell out of me and i knew it was the guy who voiced Scrooged in Mickey's Christmas Carol was Olivia's dad then later on Ducktales the year after.

Vincent Price rocked as Ratigan as he became my most favorite disney baddie of them all and still remembered how intense the sequence where Basil and Dawson were trapped but managed to get out. But i was bummed out that it never came to video the next year as i wanted it but i had to wait 7 years as i did saw the re-issue at 10 and got the movie for christmas the year it finally came out and became one of my personal fave disney movies.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

I remember my parents taking me to see the 1992 rerelease of this. I think after we left the theatre, we went to K-Mart and I got the G.I. Joe Destro v2 (he had the massive launcher that fired red discs). After going home, I was playing with a bunch of friends and accidently gave a neighbor girl a bloody nose. Good memories.
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

Cybertronian Visitor transfan80's Avatar
    I vaguely remember going to see it, but like most of my childhood I don't remember it very well. All I really recall are the climactic scene in Big Ben and Ratigan's song. Other than that, I don't remember much of the movie.
    Be who you are, not what's cool.

I *think* I did during one of it's re-releases.

Heroic Warrior
    There was one re-issue in 1992 and that was it.

Who else too was faustrated it never came out on video for a long time? i wanted it on video but glad it did when i was 11 as i got it for christmas.

Who agrees that Vincient Price was terrific in the role? and any guys too thought Miss Kitty was cute for a mouse and that she was quite risque?

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    There was one re-issue in 1992 and that was it.

Who else too was faustrated it never came out on video for a long time? i wanted it on video but glad it did when i was 11 as i got it for christmas.

Who agrees that Vincient Price was terrific in the role? and any guys too thought Miss Kitty was cute for a mouse and that she was quite risque?
    1992 would put it around the right time. Looking forward to the blu-ray later this year.

Heroic Warrior
    And did you think of Scrooge Mcduck too when you heard Flaversham spoke? i did but mainly with Christmas Carol and this was before Ducktales aired.

Did you know Fidget was voiced by the same man from Peter Pan, Heavy Traffic, Hey Good Looking, Robin Hood (He was the Aligator) and Phantom Tollboth's Awful Din?

I love Fidget he was my fave character in Basil. If I ever slightly hurt one of my feet (such as stubbing a toe) I sometimes find myself actually quoting him by saying

"My foot! My only foot!" (even tho I actually have two as is the norm)

I know I saw it as a kid, but I honestly cannot remember where or when. I think I'd remember if it was at the theater...but then, I didn't remember anything about the movie when I watched it again. For the first time? Heck, I don't know.

Anyway, I watched it practically for the first time last year, and I loved it! Really fun movie, and I'm glad we bought it. I'm surprised you don't hear about it more often.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

I remember seeing this the first time around....I was 7 and really liked it. Then it took FOREVER for the VHS to come out. I'm pretty sure we went to the re-release as well as my bro and sis were too little to see it the first time around. I'll have to dig it out and watch it with my son soon...its been a looooooong time!

Oh course I saw it in the theater! My mom was awesome about getting my brother and I to the movies when we were kids. It was an incredible movie.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

I saw it in theaters during its original run. I like the film and own it on DVD. I"m not sure if I'll get the blu-ray.

Heroic Warrior
    The blu-ray is fantastic with quality picture and sound, Disney does nice in high def.

Did anyone had any merchandise too?