Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Variety: Wenk to pen Masters of the Universe

Variety: Wenk to pen Masters of the Universe

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118060695

Sony Pictures and Escape Artists have decided to continue riding the hot hand of scribe Richard Wenk ("The Equalizer"), who has been tapped to rewrite He-Man pic "Masters of the Universe."

Jon M. Chu is set to direct the live-action film based on the popular Mattel toy line.

Story follows a young prince who becomes a warrior and sets out to defeat the evil Skeletor and fulfill his destiny as He-Man.

Escape Artists' partners Todd Black, Jason Blumenthal and Steve Tisch are producing.

Alex Litvak and Mike Finch wrote the initial draft of the script, which was originally titled "Grayskull."

Pic has been in development several years, and the property was previously adapted as a 1987 live-action film starring Dolph Lundgren and Frank Langella.

Sony and Escape Artists have been high on Wenk ever since his script for mid-budget thriller "The Equalizer" prompted Sony to close Denzel Washington's deal and set an April start date for a film that could launch Washington's first franchise if it is successful. Pic is loosely based on the TV series that starred Edward Woodward, and producers are expected to settle on a director in the coming weeks.

Wenk previously penned the action-thrillers "16 Blocks" and "The Mechanic," and he most recently co-wrote "The Expendables 2" with Sylvester Stallone. The Lionsgate sequel has grossed $289 million worldwide since opening in mid-August.

Wenk is repped by the Gersh Agency and the Arlook Group.

I really never thought I'd say this, but looking at the 'credits' of the people involved so far, a small part of me is beginning to wish this wouldn't happen...well, maybe I won't go that far, but I think a small part of me will be OK with it if it doesn't happen. He-Man just as SO much more potential than to just be an action flick.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Well, this guy is clearly an "action film" writer. I guessed the news of a script rewrite was just around the corner. I liked The Mechanic. That's the only film of his I've seen. I haven’t seen The Expendables 2, but I know it oddly got quite positive reviews. Seeing as he's worked with the producers and the studio before they obviously like his stuff. I don’t see any reason to greet this news with cries of dismay.

This logline has me slightly intrigued:

Story follows a young prince who becomes a warrior and sets out to defeat the evil Skeletor and fulfill his destiny as He-Man.
    It sounds an awful lot like Justin Marks’ take whilst the rights were at WB. “The He-Man” is treated more as a legendary figure, with Prince Adam being the main protagonist with no secret identity in sight. I didn't like Marks' overall script (thought it was far too naive and unoriginal), but the idea of (the) He-Man being a mythological figure really spoke to me. I think it’s a pretty good way of reintroducing MOTU to a new audience, injecting it with freshness.
    Last edited by Krueger; October 12, 2012 at 04:19pm.

I'd not read too much into the logline. They have probably been using the same logline for the whole development because, heck, why not.

We'll see. Nothing terribly exciting yet, but we're so far off. When I start seeing designs and that sort of thing I think I'll have a better idea of how much I'll like it, and I won't really make up my mind until I actually see it.

my god ,another two years to develop script. I give up and forget about it.
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post
    my god ,another two years to develop script. I give up and forget about it.
    Well, to be fair, they’re not starting from scratch. It’s a rewrite. They happen all the time, particularly for these types of films. The new Godzilla film just announced a rewrite, even though a month ago WB set a release date for it. Still, if we hear nothing between now and January then I’ll worry. This is also confirmation that Jon Chu is definitely the director. Remember what the producer said about hopefully shooting next year.
    Last edited by Krueger; October 12, 2012 at 06:40pm.

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    It will be terrible.
    Hollywood is incapable of making a good movie.

I can, but they cant.

..(the inability of hollywood to make Expendables when it would have been the awesomest action movie ever made, is what made James Carrodine hang himself)

..(oh, and anyone involved in a movie called 'Step Up' or what ever, is unqualiffied for Masters of the Universe)

Maybe it'll be made in Canada, the NEW Hollywood.

Drewsky...
    Quote Originally Posted by King Grayskull
    By my name shall my decendents have the honor and power to combat evil.
    -----
    There's a third sword of Grayskull...I know it!
    -----
    http://eternia.4t.com
    UNDER RENOVATIONS! Try the first & only Classic line Create-A-Figure!
    -----
    WANTED: MOC MOTUC Whiplash, MOC MOTUC Roboto

Jon Chu just wished He-Man a happy birthday on Twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Jon Chu just wished He-Man a happy birthday on Twitter.
    Doesn't make him a good director.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    Doesn't make him a good director.
    I'm not saying it does. I don't really know why I posted that. Listen, I must admit, even though I've probably been one of the biggest cheerleaders on this site for the new film, I am a little concerned by the choice of director. I wish I could say I wasn't, but I am. GI Joe 2 looked incredibly promising from the trailers, but like everyone else, I'm a bit apprehensive because of the delay.

However, I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Hollywood is a tight-knit community. All the major studios know each other’s business. They shouldn't, but they do. Fox knows what’s happening on the WB lot, WB knows what’s going on on the Universal lot, Sony knows what Paramount are up to and so on. If Chu had done such an appalling job on GI Joe, it would have created ripples. No studio would entrust him with another big budget tentpole again. The fact that he’s bagged the MOTU directing gig shows that Sony and the producers clearly like something he’s shown them. It’s quite likely they’ve either seen bits of GI Joe 2 or even the whole film. They clearly think he has enough credentials to handle this.

MOTU won’t be a cheap film. I just find it very hard to believe that any major studio would give a director the job of directing a big budget tentpole knowing that he had recently done such a horrible job on a similar kind of film. I just don’t believe that. I could be wrong, though.

..ha, ha, haa, haa, ha, haaa

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian-King Paul View Post
    ..ha, ha, haa, haa, ha, haaa
    I know you're funny.

I'm not saying it does. I don't really know why I posted that. Listen, I must admit, even though I've probably been one of the biggest cheerleaders on this site for the new film, I am a little concerned by the choice of director. I wish I could say I wasn't, but I am. GI Joe 2 looked incredibly promising from the trailers, but like everyone else, I'm a bit apprehensive because of the delay.

However, I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Hollywood is a tight-knit community. All the major studios know each other’s business. They shouldn't, but they do. Fox knows what’s happening on the WB lot, WB knows what’s going on on the Universal lot, Sony knows what Paramount are up to and so on. If Chu had done such an appalling job on GI Joe, it would have created ripples. No studio would entrust him with another big budget tentpole again. The fact that he’s bagged the MOTU directing gig shows that Sony and the producers clearly like something he’s shown them. It’s quite likely they’ve either seen bits of GI Joe 2 or even the whole film. They clearly think he has enough credentials to handle this.

MOTU won’t be a cheap film. I just find it very hard to believe that any major studio would give a director the job of directing a big budget tentpole knowing that he had recently done such a horrible job on a similar kind of film. I just don’t believe that. I could be wrong, though.
    All good points. Oddly enough when ever there is talk about a movie I know Kruger is gonna chim in. The one thing I like about your post are 1. Your always positive 2. Your extremely optimistic. That's really good. Far to often people bash product before even giving it a chance. If they make a movie I'll support it, not for the producer, studio, director . I'll support it for the brand and I can only hope the movies good. Cool to see John wish He-Man a H-B-D on twitter, Good PR.
    “You don't stop playing because you grow old you grow old because you stop playing.” George Benard Shaw.

Well, to be fair, they’re not starting from scratch. It’s a rewrite. They happen all the time, particularly for these types of films. The new Godzilla film just announced a rewrite, even though a month ago WB set a release date for it. Still, if we hear nothing between now and January then I’ll worry. This is also confirmation that Jon Chu is definitely the director. Remember what the producer said about hopefully shooting next year.
    You right,rewrite is different to new script , besides guardian of the galaxy is already in development and is still being written and we must not forget also that the contract of sony and EA was extended until 2015, the movie should be for that year.
    Chu undoubtedly will be the director.

I'm not giving up yet haha
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

*batteries not included Captain Atkin's Avatar
    Exciting news
    "Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another." --- Man-At-Arms

www.hemanworld.com

not impressed by the lineup here, really underwhelmed. Wish this property could demand the respect we obviously believe it deserves: could be just as popular as Transformers if not as good as Avengers, but feels like it wont get it's fare shake.

That all being said, I reserve judgement and await expectantly and excitedly.

Who knows, it could be under the radar. But I fear a modern movie with as low as a budget as I'm afraid this will be getting.

Still...movie.

The name of 'Masters of the Universe' is going to make as many millions as Micheal Bay's Transformers did, just with the name of Transformers and nothing in the movie worth watching.

The people in hollywood dont care about anything else but money, they dont even care 'who' cares.

Quality is a thing of the past.
    These days you cant tell Madona from Lady Gaga.

Court Magician
    History is happening again... It happened to John Wooo\Adam Rifkin (FOX 2004), John Stevenson\Justin Marks (WB. 2007) and now Jon M. Chu\Alex Litvak, Michael Finch (Sony 2009)... If you ask me this ain't gonna happen at Sony studios

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    not impressed by the lineup here, really underwhelmed. Wish this property could demand the respect we obviously believe it deserves: could be just as popular as Transformers if not as good as Avengers, but feels like it wont get it's fare shake.

That all being said, I reserve judgement and await expectantly and excitedly.

Who knows, it could be under the radar. But I fear a modern movie with as low as a budget as I'm afraid this will be getting.

Still...movie.
    Yes. Wenk is an adult action writer who'll deliver a mediocre b-list summer blockbuster. Not good

I am sill looking forward to this. I was hoping for more plot driven story than an action flick but we will see.

FINALLY some *real* news!!! So, it isn't dead after all. I think this is a good move... and for the record, I confused The Mechanic with The Machinist. Thought we were going to have another Dark Knight on our hands here with some deep drama. That said, I'm happy to go with another Expendables on Eternia flick.
    If Jack Bauer was on Lost, everything would have been solved in 24 hours!

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

Macduff, Scotland. United Kingdom of Eternia.
    It's nice to hear about some progress on the movie, even if it is a script re-write. Hopefully we hear something more concrete. Sooner, rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by PIMPS ADAM View Post
    All good points. Oddly enough when ever there is talk about a movie I know Kruger is gonna chim in. The one thing I like about your post are 1. Your always positive 2. Your extremely optimistic. That's really good. Far to often people bash product before even giving it a chance. If they make a movie I'll support it, not for the producer, studio, director . I'll support it for the brand and I can only hope the movies good. Cool to see John wish He-Man a H-B-D on twitter, Good PR.
    Thank you. Agree with all your points, too. I can be one a hell of a negative so-and-so in the "real" world when I want to be, so I've got to be positive somewhere.

Court Magician
    MOTU should be like 300 or the immortals...Eternia has to be a colorful and deep mysterious world and everyone should be jacked on roid's, and Olivia Wilde must get implants (or at least hollywood makeup boobies) and play Teela...That would be an Oscar-worthy flick!

- - - Updated - - -

In all seriousness, I would love to see the He-man we know on the big screen and not a new futuristic getup like the Dolph He-man. the red/burgundy shorts orange belt and cross chest piece would be amazing to see but we know it will never happen...even at least the 200x outfit. A colorful and deep mystical world in the vein of lord of the rings/ avatar etc.. and a deep magical story,I think they should definitely use 300esque CGI because it would be the only way to capture a mystical planet..otherwise theyll just film the movie in a forest that looks like Earth and there will be no depth to it and it will be boring looking as hell.
    I honestly am not looking forward to this film and if anything im afraid it will bury He-man and make the chances of a future motion picture less likely.after all..its been 25 years since the Dolph movie!
    The new ninja turtles have a great promising toyline thats flying off the shelves and great new cartoon...but Michael Bay is looking to totally destroy that franchise with a huge bomb (even though the turtles survived a few bombs already), by making them alien turtles and totally recreating them into what he and hollywood thinks they should be.
    Same will probably happen to He-man im afraid.
    Last edited by He-loser; October 13, 2012 at 01:46pm.