Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Variety: Wenk to pen Masters of the Universe

Thrashor is not sure who thus Wenk is but any film is better then no film.
    Give the wenker a chance....

The most radical zombie, in all Eternia!
    YouTube: Mal TV - Metal, Toys, Video Games, & Beyond!

Heroic Warrior
    There is a deft understanding needed of the magical mythology of Eternia, which needs to convince an audience. Keldor and Randor have a potential camaraderie that then leads to betrayal, thanks in part to Keldor's Gar blood. Hordak must be a pervading force and the kidnapping of Adora (though She Ra needn't be in a first MOTU movie other than as a baby) is essential.
    Adam becoming He-Man could be a complete character change. Maybe Duncan drags the spoiled Adam to Grayskull to be anointed with the power sword.
    Add in the army of evil and heroic characters and the potential for a "Nolan Dark Knight" trilogy culminating in an interdimensional conflict between Etherian and Eternian forces.
    Is Wenk, a hack Hollywood writer, more used to writing quips for action stars with minimal characters and sequences, going to be able to deliver the epic film we want? No. I doubt he will.
    Only a person who loves MOTU, like Lucas loved the old scifi serials or Peter Jackson loved the Tolkein books, can deliver a script that will honour the legacy of the franchise.
    Wenk just won't deliver a worthy film, worthy of the name. It will be disposable dross - but maybe this disposable, money-making exercise is put through the movie production machine and it is all we deserve as a fandom increasingly bowing to corporate powers and not allowing our souls a voice about this phenomenon we love.

Quote Originally Posted by Gragar View Post
    There is a deft understanding needed of the magical mythology of Eternia, which needs to convince an audience. Keldor and Randor have a potential camaraderie that then leads to betrayal, thanks in part to Keldor's Gar blood. Hordak must be a pervading force and the kidnapping of Adora (though She Ra needn't be in a first MOTU movie other than as a baby) is essential.
    Adam becoming He-Man could be a complete character change. Maybe Duncan drags the spoiled Adam to Grayskull to be anointed with the power sword.
    Add in the army of evil and heroic characters and the potential for a "Nolan Dark Knight" trilogy culminating in an interdimensional conflict between Etherian and Eternian forces.
    Is Wenk, a hack Hollywood writer, more used to writing quips for action stars with minimal characters and sequences, going to be able to deliver the epic film we want? No. I doubt he will.
    Only a person who loves MOTU, like Lucas loved the old scifi serials or Peter Jackson loved the Tolkein books, can deliver a script that will honour the legacy of the franchise.
    Wenk just won't deliver a worthy film, worthy of the name. It will be disposable dross - but maybe this disposable, money-making exercise is put through the movie production machine and it is all we deserve as a fandom increasingly bowing to corporate powers and not allowing our souls a voice about this phenomenon we love.
    Please don’t turn this into an ugly discussion, accusing fans of selling their souls to the devil. No one is superior here.
    Last edited by Krueger; October 13, 2012 at 08:37pm.

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    ..I did some pen work.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian-King Paul View Post
    ..I did some pen work.
    Maybe so, but you arent in the Hollywood crowd so it doesnt matter. And thats the truth of it. That's like me saying I'm gong to direct a movie when all I have done is written some odds n' end stories over the years.

Hollywood chooses their one. That's just the way it is.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

"16 Blocks", well I never heard of it. "The Mechanic" didn't hear a peep about that one either. "The Expendables 2"? I'm not sure if that is something to be proud of. I seem to recall a big budget action movie called "Jonah Hex" in which one of the stars, Josh Brolin) an actor I respect and admire stated it was a huge waste of time and talent.

At this point, I expect a new MOTU film to be no different.

the script should be just to impprove the secret of the sword movie and make it come true!
    motucustoms4sale@hotmail.com
    visit my albums:
    awesome trades with: harold, krosfyah, bobtheodd, Agostinho, boggs32, sallah, beastor
    Visit my facebook page 2917 likes already!!!!! XD
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...259610?sk=info

Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    Maybe so, but you arent in the Hollywood crowd so it doesnt matter. And thats the truth of it. That's like me saying I'm gong to direct a movie when all I have done is written some odds n' end stories over the years.

Hollywood chooses their one. That's just the way it is.
    Oh, I know theres a closed door in hollywood. It's like alot of clubs and groups.

You can usualy tell the shut door ones because the guys in the rank' are really old.
    Like the Legionaires or the Shriners or the Bingo - DJ + stage support services inc..

Also you need to perform great feats of excellence to get in, or just be old.

By the time I am good enough for hollywood, the pirates will have burned it to the ground.

..(I could be wrong but usualy Im right.)

Hmm, this doesn't sound good. I think I'm going to be sick...

j/k...

I just want a new motu movie.
    – No comment.

Defender of the Underdog He-Dad's Avatar
    As long as it's entertaining I don't care who does it. Just hope they avoid 80's cheese.

mmmm, moldy cheese..

My reaction when I first read about yet another re-write.

If Dreamworks really is doing something with She-Ra, I seriously hope the process doesn't drag as long as it has for MOTU.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    My reaction when I first read about yet another re-write.

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/...ss/noparty.gif
    I share your frustration. This basically means one of two things. Either Wenk is doing just a fine tune-up, fixing a few niggles here and there, or he is rewriting from page one to page 120 or whatever it is. Obviously the latter scenario is the not-so-good one, because it means that the studio is dissatisfied with something. The latter scenario is also the one that kick-starts the dreaded ‘Development Hell’ process. We just don’t know which one it is. Obviously I hope it’s the first scenario, because that one is really not unusual. In fact, it’s pretty much the norm.

The fact that a director was hired just a few months ago shows that Sony is serious about getting this thing made. Still, as I said earlier in the thread, I’m really not surprised by this news. These kinds of films very often go through the rewriting phase. I would have actually been surprised if news like this didn’t break.

If this thing full’s through again, it will be the third major studio in eight years (yes, eight years. Ridiculous). Mattel would have a lot to answer for if that happened. They aren't active enough. It’s something that Scott said at the Powercon panel that really struck a cord with me. Something like "We haven't got movie news because that's all to do with Sony and not us". Those weren't his exact words, but it was honestly something very similar to that. I know because I remember sighing and rolling my eyes as I heard him say it when I watched it. That's your problem right there. Mattel want a movie (they’d be crazy not to in the current climate), but they also want to rest on their laurels and wait for it to be done by somebody else. They don't seem to want to get involved. That doesn't remind you of the way their main rival operates. Its quite saddening.

Anyway, I'm being too pessimistic. Hopefully it will be a case of third time lucky with Sony.
    Last edited by Krueger; October 15, 2012 at 07:49pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian-King Paul View Post
    It will be terrible.
    Hollywood is incapable of making a good movie.

I can, but they cant.

..(the inability of hollywood to make Expendables when it would have been the awesomest action movie ever made, is what made James Carrodine hang himself)

..(oh, and anyone involved in a movie called 'Step Up' or what ever, is unqualiffied for Masters of the Universe)
    No offence but I am more relieved to have Richard Wenk writing this that I am having Eternian-King Paul attached to it.

And your comment about Step Up making someone unqualified for Masters of the Universe but only you being able to make the movie is arrogant and egotistical.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    And your comment about Step Up making someone unqualified for Masters of the Universe but only you being able to make the movie is arrogant and egotistical.
    Everything he says is, as well as narcissistic. Every time you could be having a discussion about something else, he'll come in and declare "his" idea to be of a higher level. I'm getting quite sick of it. I think the mods need to do something about it. I'm starting to find his constant near-Trolling quite offensive.

..oh, right, zombie appocalipse.

(sorry I got off track from the appocalipse thing, it was doing so well)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Everything he says is, as well as narcissistic. ... starting to find his constant near-Trolling quite offensive.
    What did I say that offended you?

Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    I really never thought I'd say this, but looking at the 'credits' of the people involved so far, a small part of me is beginning to wish this wouldn't happen...
    I was thinking the same thing. I looked at IMDB pages of both this Wenk guy and the director, and all those movies are boring and unimaginative. People say "let's give them a chance" but it's not like we have a MOTU movie coming out every month. We have just this one movie, that's the only chance we have. If it bombs, there will not be another one for a long time.

With everything we know so far, this is what's going on: some execs at Mattel are kinda interested in doing this movie because it might bring them some money, so they approached one studio, then another in what seems to be a half-assed attempt at exploring if this brand might be milked for some cash in any possible way. Those studios hired some average directors and writers to do this while keeping the costs down. It seems this movie is not a priority for anyone, nor is anyone really passionate about it. Everyone just hopes to come up with a passable product and make some money. (OK, Scott Neitlich may be passionate about it, but he's not high enough on the corporate ladder). So, at best, it will be an acceptable, professionally produced but completely forgettable summer movie that people will watch and forget next week.

What everyone here would want (and what I would want) is an inspired, innovative, interesting movie that is fun but also pushes the limits and differentiates itself from a host of other mass-produced cookie-cutter movies. But, you never get that from a process we have all seen unfold. The only way to really get that would have been if one of us, a fan - someone who grew up with MOTU and loved the brand passionately all this years, became a successful and accomplished director - someone studios would trust enough to give him/her the budget and creative freedom. That person could then create the best MOTU movie ever.

Sorry if this is too depressing, I just don't see anything great happening with the movie. We may get a mediocre, blah movie and that's it.

On a positive note, the Dreamworks She-Ra series still has potential to be really cool (the next My Little Pony?). Hopefully, we'll get something fun there.

I won't go see a Masters of the Universe movie if I think it sucks or it might get me mad. I won't go see it just because I'm a MotU fan, it has to be good.

I have a bad feeling about this movie based on the people involved. But, a lot can happen so I will hold off judgement until we get more information.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Heroic Warrior
    Steve Kloves, the screenwriter who adapted the 'Harry Potter' books is free to write the new MOTU movie - I think he'd know what to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. I looked at IMDB pages of both this Wenk guy and the director, and all those movies are boring and unimaginative. People say "let's give them a chance" but it's not like we have a MOTU movie coming out every month. We have just this one movie, that's the only chance we have. If it bombs, there will not be another one for a long time.

With everything we know so far, this is what's going on: some execs at Mattel are kinda interested in doing this movie because it might bring them some money, so they approached one studio, then another in what seems to be a half-assed attempt at exploring if this brand might be milked for some cash in any possible way. Those studios hired some average directors and writers to do this while keeping the costs down. It seems this movie is not a priority for anyone, nor is anyone really passionate about it. Everyone just hopes to come up with a passable product and make some money. (OK, Scott Neitlich may be passionate about it, but he's not high enough on the corporate ladder). So, at best, it will be an acceptable, professionally produced but completely forgettable summer movie that people will watch and forget next week.

What everyone here would want (and what I would want) is an inspired, innovative, interesting movie that is fun but also pushes the limits and differentiates itself from a host of other mass-produced cookie-cutter movies. But, you never get that from a process we have all seen unfold. The only way to really get that would have been if one of us, a fan - someone who grew up with MOTU and loved the brand passionately all this years, became a successful and accomplished director - someone studios would trust enough to give him/her the budget and creative freedom. That person could then create the best MOTU movie ever.

Sorry if this is too depressing, I just don't see anything great happening with the movie. We may get a mediocre, blah movie and that's it.

On a positive note, the Dreamworks She-Ra series still has potential to be really cool (the next My Little Pony?). Hopefully, we'll get something fun there.
    Everything you said here is right.

'Sad but true..' Metalica