Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Masters of the Universe Digital Comic #7 - Trap-Jaw *SPOILERS*

So far this is my least favorite issue, but it was okay I guess. I prefer the MVC origin and the mini-comics origin is great too. This "He-man causing a near fatal wound by being reckless" - origin just feel not right. But other than that I think the comic was alright.
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

Quote Originally Posted by He-Metayer View Post
    It looks like this story confirms that the Skeletor and his warriors know that He-Man is Prince Adam in the DC miniseries. In issue #2 of the series, Trap-Jaw is saying he is getting revenge on Adam for what happened to him, which is shown in this one-shot.
    I was thinking that and it answers Skeletors "why didn't you just split his throat" question. TJ wants to torture Adam first
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

So... a 3rd origin story?

Quote Originally Posted by JafariStew View Post
    Good tie-in but I vastly prefer MVC's Origin & even the Mini-Comic origin to this.
    Glad someone said this.
    I'm a 30 year fan. I'm grateful for these comics and will continue to buy them.

However, I'm annoyed that Trap Jaw was given a 3rd origin story! I'm disappointed that the writers aren't using original canons to do their writing from. It just seems like lazy writing to me.
    I'm a musician, and if you'd please check out my music, I'd be so grateful. Like it on facebook here:
    www.facebook.com/peterdamoremusic

Wow I actually liked this!!!
    Sale/Trade//Feedback//MOTU Customs// MOTUC Albums//MOTU Fans Puerto Rico Chapter

I got lazy...So here is a link to my NON MOTU Collection!
    Collection and NON MOTU Customs

XBOX ONE Gamertag: Avenger PR PAC
    PSN: Avenger12PR

Quote Originally Posted by Eagledmasters View Post
    Glad someone said this.

However, I'm annoyed that Trap Jaw was given a 3rd origin story! I'm disappointed that the writers aren't using original canons to do their writing from. It just seems like lazy writing to me.
    I prefer his other origins as well, but rehashing them would be more along the lines of lazy writing, rather than this new story. This issue ties together a lot of backstory from the digital minis. It's pretty decent and not lazy at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    I prefer his other origins as well, but rehashing them would be more along the lines of lazy writing, rather than this new story. This issue ties together a lot of backstory from the digital minis. It's pretty decent and not lazy at all.
    Ok - I'd like clarify what I meant when I said "lazy writing". I feel it's like it's long overdue for the fans that have been around forever to be able to enjoy the newer stories. I would find them more enjoyable as something I've waited years for, if they were based from the canon of the older ones. That takes research, and their choice to not build off of the old stories seems lazy to me. I don't want to be re-told any of the old stories, but I would like the older stories to be used (respected?) as canon. We have had so little story development in the first place, and there isn't that much old canon. Kronis is barely given any character except for a few moments (cartoon, comics, etc), and now we have to hit the reset button on him again?

For example, in the 200X Trap Jaw story, his jaw was knocked off by Skeletor himself. Soon after that moment, we get his big unveiling as Trap Jaw... So why now say "Nope... here's what happened... a gun blew his face apart "? The same argument could be said for his "interdimensional space pirate story (origin 1)" when they did origin 2 in 200x.

I'm enjoying the ride, of course. With full gratefulness intact that we are getting comics at all with Masters characters, I'm curious what others think? Would you rather have something that is a closer follow up to what we've already invested in over the years? Is the new stuff too far from it?
    I'm a musician, and if you'd please check out my music, I'd be so grateful. Like it on facebook here:
    www.facebook.com/peterdamoremusic

Come from the land of the ice and snow...
    I have to wonder why the people of Mattel allow the continuity of the MOTU storylines to be stepped on and ruined by outside parties on a regular basis... it is rediculous. The storylines and art of these digital comics are pure crap.

I liked this issue a lot. He-Man looks fantastic IMO. My only question is why Kronis' face turned green when he got shot. But the nanites are a good touch and make it feel more logical to me that he was able to survive without someone else's help.

I absolutely hated this comic. I have no problem with new origin stories being created for characters like Trap-Jaw, but this one was amateur, at best. I especially hated that He-Man is shown as being the one who did this to him. Kronis didn't even fire a shot in that comic, so what happens to him is unjustified. The fact that He-Man would leave him mortally injured to go off chasing another bandit is revolting to me. This is suppose to be a He-Man comic; not Judge Dredd!
    Last edited by Captain Atkin; October 15, 2012 at 03:14am.

Ok - I'd like clarify what I meant when I said "lazy writing". I feel it's like it's long overdue for the fans that have been around forever to be able to enjoy the newer stories. I would find them more enjoyable as something I've waited years for, if they were based from the canon of the older ones. That takes research, and their choice to not build off of the old stories seems lazy to me. I don't want to be re-told any of the old stories, but I would like the older stories to be used (respected?) as canon. We have had so little story development in the first place, and there isn't that much old canon. Kronis is barely given any character except for a few moments (cartoon, comics, etc), and now we have to hit the reset button on him again?

For example, in the 200X Trap Jaw story, his jaw was knocked off by Skeletor himself. Soon after that moment, we get his big unveiling as Trap Jaw... So why now say "Nope... here's what happened... a gun blew his face apart "? The same argument could be said for his "interdimensional space pirate story (origin 1)" when they did origin 2 in 200x.

I'm enjoying the ride, of course. With full gratefulness intact that we are getting comics at all with Masters characters, I'm curious what others think? Would you rather have something that is a closer follow up to what we've already invested in over the years? Is the new stuff too far from it?
    Thanks for clarifying. A misunderstanding on my part. I largely agree with you. However, if they are making up new origin here, it could have been a lot worse. Again, this not my favourite origin, and I don't know why they didn't choose to follow MOTUC's canon more closely when these comics are running concurrent with the current line and bios. And the canon can be confusing enough as it is. But I did find this issue interesting. I think it's one of the best ones so far.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dude View Post
    I have to wonder why the people of Mattel allow the continuity of the MOTU storylines to be stepped on and ruined by outside parties on a regular basis... it is rediculous.
    Yeah, filmation ruining the storyline was bad enough.

Disenchanted Toy Hunter 80's Enthusiast's Avatar

n

This was a well written comic with pretty damn good art yet people are still complaining.....

I prefer the MVC origin as well but DC clearly going to sit back and retell the same stories yet again. The not quite nano-mites deal is at least different, and the "wanting revenge on He-Man" angle at least defines Kronis as a viable threat and not a clanking buffoon.

I am happy to continue to buy these for as long as DC produces them. Not literary masterpieces by any means but generally good stories and a fresh take on a 30 year old property.

This is what all the books should have been like, I love the art, I love the character development and history of the character told just like Randor and Duncan's, so we can understand how our favorite characters have changed for better or worse in this ELSEWORLD. I loved how it gave Lynn's story more meaning, as it had very little to none for me. I'm torn on the Palace Guards being corrupt, it makes it more realistic, yet I always felt the royal guard were loyal and true, now when I look at them on my display case guarding Randor and the Royal family, it feels like they are not safe at all. No one can be trusted, not even the Masters, and that feeling sucks.

But anyway, great job finally by DC. Hope they keep this style and pace up for the sake of the brand.

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)

is anyone surprised that DC would completely revamp and change MOTU? This is a company that revamps it's entire universe every few years. "Crisis on Infinite earth, MORE Infinite Crisis, Crisis of Declining Comic Sales, NEW 52. NEWER 52."

I think the closest thing that we are going to get to something that builds on what has been established before is the MOTUC bio canon that we have.

The bad thing is that the characters and stories in MOTUC have never been straight. You have mini comics that feel like Conan, mini comics that don't, the Filmation cartoon, other comic series, blonde Teela, red head Teela, clone Teela, "I'm for another dimension" Skeletor and "I'm your Uncle" Skeletor.

It doesn't help that the strongest media portrayal of the characters was the Filmation cartoon. Not to commit blasphemy here, but the characters were hardly well developed. They were 80's cartoon characters that existed to sell toys and were goofy at best. The characters didn't really have a rich back story or a ton of character development. That's not a knock against Filmation, it is just the nature of what that show was.

I can understand that it would be a challenge for a writer to handle MOTU. What do you follow? Filmation? Mini Comics? 200X? Marvel?

Still, there are good stories and bad stories. So far the DC stories haven't felt like MOTU to me. I'm trying to reserve judgement until I see how the main series plays out, but so far I don't feel like the characters I am reading are MOTU characters. They could be anyone. I didn't feel like that when I read the 200X stories. Even with what was new or different, I still felt like these were the MOTU characters.

Plus the 200X Trapjaw origin is gold. I lobe how Kronis goes out, works so hard to build an army, challenges Skeletor and gets the crap kicked out of him. This story not only made Kronis cool, but it made Skeletor SO badass. Plus him destroying Kronis than having him "fixed" so he can serve as a visual reminder of what happens if you cross Skeletor was awesome.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

Glad someone said this.

It's actually his 4th origin story, 5th if you separate the 200X one from the MotU Classics bio.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

Quote Originally Posted by wundarwarrior View Post
    My only question is why Kronis' face turned green when he got shot.
    I wondered this too. I could see it turn green by the nanites somehow, but why turn green from the blast?

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
    So far this is my least favorite issue, but it was okay I guess. I prefer the MVC origin and the mini-comics origin is great too. This "He-man causing a near fatal wound by being reckless" - origin just feel not right. But other than that I think the comic was alright.
    If this was a filmation episode, I'd love to see what the moral lesson at the end is suppose to be

Just read this issue and very much enjoyed it. It was nice to see some things tie up in a nice way. I liked TrapJaw's origin and I liked his look here a lot better than before.

Also I'm still hoping for the idea of Nolar Blak as a future Scareglow. lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
    I wondered this too. I could see it turn green by the nanites somehow, but why turn green from the blast?
    My guess is that's just scarring. Seems like a fine enough explanation to me, especially given the fantasy/sci-fi world of MotU.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

Heroic Warrior
    Caverns of Rakash (Formerly of Darksmoke)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    Indeed, I still prefer the one from Icon's of Evil. But now we know why that strange lizard appeared in issue 2.
    Anyway, I rather enjoyed it. The art was good (aside from the very last panel) and the dialogue wasn't too atrocious ...
    What lizard? I just looked back at that issue and didn't see one.

Didn't really like this issue. I don't like how he lost his jaw, and it makes no sense why he turned green or why he lost his arm too. Pretty week IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonblaster View Post
    In my own canon he originally was a member of the space-mutants who stranded on Eternia after being sucked through a wormhole . He allied himself with Keldor who later crippled him. This connects the inter-dimensional space criminal angle of the Mini comic, New Adventures AND the icons of evil origin.
    Now THAT I like.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Atkin View Post
    I absolutely hated this comic. I have no problem with new origin stories being created for characters like Trap-Jaw, but this one was amateur, at best. I especially hated that He-Man is shown as being the one who did this to him. Kronis didn't even fire a shot in that comic, so what happens to him is unjustified. The fact that He-Man would leave him mortally injured to go off chasing another bandit is revolting to me. This is suppose to be a He-Man comic; not Judge Dredd!
    AMEN!!!!!!!

Man! I just bought 6 of the 7 comics (minus the Orko issue) and when I click the button to read all I get is a blank page. I hope I didnt lose my $6.
    Jii Dee regarding Matty's view on MOTUC Collectors: "Here be whiny surrender monkey dragons".

MOTUC NEEDS: Sssqueeze, Dragstor, Saurod, Blast Attack, & Lord Masque.

Snappy Threader
    Good read...may I say again....?......I do not like the digital aspect. I want these in paper........

Quote Originally Posted by Slave2Evil_Lyn View Post
    I'm so over nanites, they so over used in sci-fi, the are used to explain everything, I hate it.
    Agreed. It was an absolutely PATHETIC way to explain Trap-Jaw's creation. I cannot believe this was used as a mjor plot device. Who the hell writes these stories?

Otherwise it was just a typical revenge story about a typical crook. Very dull indeed.

Icons of Evil did TJ's origin much, much better & set up an interesting tension between TJ & Skeletor, who came across as very powerful, charismatic & dangerous characters.

Oh well - at least it didn't waste any paper.
    Last edited by Eternian Poet; October 17, 2012 at 03:18pm.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

I liked it.....still can't share it with my son......but I liked it!

- - - Updated - - -

I liked it.....still can't share it with my son......but I liked it!

Quote Originally Posted by King Gilskull View Post
    If this was a filmation episode, I'd love to see what the moral lesson at the end is suppose to be
    "Don't worry if you get mangled, you'll be fixed up out of no-where, for nothing."
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Quote Originally Posted by Draego-Man View Post
    What lizard? I just looked back at that issue and didn't see one.
    The one that pops out of TJ's arm right before the scythe appears from his weapon arm. Unfortunately, there are no page numbers in the digital copy, but it's during the fight near the end of the issue.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Heroic Warrior
    Caverns of Rakash (Formerly of Darksmoke)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    The one that pops out of TJ's arm right before the scythe appears from his weapon arm. Unfortunately, there are no page numbers in the digital copy, but it's during the fight near the end of the issue.
    But you said in Issue 2, meaning the Man-At-Arms issue. I never saw a lizard in that.