Thread: Who do you feel was the most underdeveloped POP character?

Who do you feel was the most underdeveloped POP character?

Everyone loves a good hero (or villain), however sometimes they get way too much limelight, and seemingly more interesting characters fall to the way side. So I'm curious as to who you feel was a severely under used character in POP?

Octavia: I'm glad we are going to see her as a figure, however she was a 1 episode wonder, and that's too bad, because she was bad ass. with Sea Hawk being a popular male character and someone that Adora could have seen a real romance with, it would have been great if he had an arch nemesis at sea, and Octavia would have been perfect. So many different stories could have evolved from her, and there could have been a great Octavia/Mer-Man episode with a colossal sea battle between Sea Hawk, Mermista and the aforementioned villains. Octavia's origin was shrouded in complete mystery, but it could have been interesting if she was a cursed merfolk, or an entirely different species that was perhaps at war with the merfolk for control of the seas pf Etheria.

Scorpia:Catra and Shadoweaver were awesome villains, however Scorpia was always my favorite Horde lady. She was so unlike any other female character in animated cartoons. She wasn't girly, or cunning, or jealous, she was just an outright goon. She didn't fear anyone, men included, and it would have been great for her to really get to flex some muscle. I cannot remember where it was mentioned (I think on one of the DVDs) that Scorpia was supposed to sting her enemies, and that it was nixed because it was considered too gruesome. I beg to differ. Having her sting and incapacitating her victims (or having them fall ill) and require She-Ra's healing powers would have been awesome to see. Also, if Filmation really wanted to send a message, they could have had Scorpia kill a villager, and the ending moral message could be about death and condolences. Might be a little heavier than 'stranger danger' messages, but hey, its just an idea. We did get to see that Scorpia had her own themed vehicle, and base of operations, but that was only once, and I don't believe it was ever revisited.

Frosta Given the fact that she was Queen of her own realm (and unlike some of the other female rebels she possessed immense magical power), it would have been nice to see Frosta really flex her mystical muscle and engage the Horde head on. The icy kingdom wasn't explored, and there was so much potential to unlock the ancient secrets, frozen in time. Frosta could have been a far more active participant in the fight against the Horde. If we were given the chance to see the Horde actually conquer and enslave people other than the scrawny villagers of Thaymore would have been a refreshing twist. I personally would have loved to see them set up a base of operations in Frosta's kingdom and threaten her people. Their occupation of the Kingdom of Snows could have been a great little story arc. I guess this will be the work of fan fiction, unless we get some cool new POP media.
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; October 17, 2012 at 02:27am.

Heroic Warrior Matthew L. Martin's Avatar
    If Double Trouble qualifies, then she wins this competition easily.

In terms of the cartoon, I'd say Flutterina, who was plain at best (which is a shame because she has a great design). She was characterised as a young lady character - a damsel-in-distress in A Lesson In Love and, despite her having an origin, it does little for her character. Sure, it could be argued that she showed courage by helping She-Ra in Out Of The Cocoon...but once she'd transformed from Small One into Flutterina, she became...well, a bit bland, IMO.

...none of the above is helped by the fact that she made only a few notable appearances...
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - The Melog - Melaktha - Vultak - Dylamug - Crita - Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina - the Twiggets King Ahgo

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew L. Martin View Post
    If Double Trouble qualifies, then she wins this competition easily.
    Its not as much a competition, as it is a well needed discussion.

Double Trouble hands down!
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Snappy Threader
    Oh yeah DT for sure. I can't think of anyone else who was as underrepresented accross all the forms of media....Octavia, Scorpia and Frosta (to a lesser extent) were all prominately featured in the toon....DT only had like one mini app and one book app (to my knowledge).

Double Trouble, for sure.

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    She-Ra was the most underdeveloped character in the POP show, by far.

The nature of ethics, magic, and goals are very undefined in her character structure.

Characture structure is what you need in good storytelling.

Heroic Warrior
    Eternian-King Paul - no point in asking if you're kidding because I know you wrote that totally seriously and would in fact would think you are the person to do all of what you claimed wasn't done, so instead I'll ask another question; what planet are you on? Would you like to come and join the rest of us on our planet?

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    Im from the planet Hordak is from.

"Oh dearie my!" Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    Well the fan-boy in me is crying out "Scorpiaaaaaa!!" I LOVE her! I will say, I totally understand fans voting for Double Trouble, and I too would have loved to have seen her in the 'toon (plus, she utilizes my favorite color, green).

I also think Octavia should have had more 'toon appearances, and agree with you SkyBreaker on her. However...

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Breaker View Post
    Scorpia:Catra and Shadoweaver were awesome villains
    Well, I wouldn't say Catra was an awesome villain. Her voice was too shrill, ugh (though I've heard it was raised higher on the DVDs because all the sound was sped up a tad? Something like that). And not only that, but I don't like how she was kind of a "pseudo-villain", in that her attributes/powers weren't really hers. She got them from the mask of that cat queen when Hordak gave it to her, so that's her "crutch" IMO.

however Scorpia was always my favorite Horde lady. She was so unlike any other female character in animated cartoons.
    Mine too! And yes!

She wasn't girly, or cunning, or jealous, she was just an outright goon.
    Okay, this is where I so totally disagree with you. Well true, she wasn't girly (except for her devotion to heavy green eye shadow, lol), but she could be cunning at times, but she was not "an outright goon" IMO. I think a lot of peoples' perception of her is sadly due to first of all, her thuggish voice, and second of all, the Wikipedia entry on her (which has been copied to other POP sites and MOTU-wiki-type pages), claiming "She is not the most intelligent member of the Horde.", citing as its evidence the fact that she believes Bow when he tricks her into thinking he's an inspector. Well, he was in disguise, and disguised his voice! What Horde member wouldn't have believed him?? That's how it went in those 'toons! So because of that influencing text, and her thuggish voice, I think that's why Scorpia's character doesn't get her true due.

She definitely has her moments of sharpness. Just look at "The Red Knight" when Mantenna is idiotically about to send Hordak into a fierce temper, and Scorpia quickly wraps her tail around his head to keep his mouth shut just in the nick of time, lol---I love that! And I love how she was definitely a force to be reckoned with---she was involved in many a Horde plot, villagers were scared of her, and Casta and She-Ra were definitely concerned when Scorpia got her evil pincers on the Book of Spells.

She didn't fear anyone, men included
    Love.

I cannot remember where it was mentioned (I think on one of the DVDs) that Scorpia was supposed to sting her enemies, and that it was nixed because it was considered too gruesome. I beg to differ.
    Well, I can see Filmation's point, but I too would have loved to have seen that! And Leech get to drain energy more...remember he did in the very first part of SOTS, but later in one episode he was going to drain a male villager, and it was so Hitchcockian suspenseful that he was "going to do it!!", but then the Rebels stopped him before he even got his hands on the man! Ugh...

We did get to see that Scorpia had her own themed vehicle, and base of operations, but that was only once, and I don't believe it was ever revisited.
    Ah, yes...the Crawler, and Scorpion Hill in The Crimson Waste. Those were indeed very cool. Unlike Catra, and even Shadow Weaver, Scorpia had her own dominion and her own regiment of slaves/servants (Weaver had her own domain, but no "ruling power" like Scorpia had). That was such cool development for her, if only they had expanded on that more!

We were fortunate to get to see the Crawler and Scorpion Hill more than once, though. We saw Scorpion Hill in the episodes of Huntara, and the gril with the Book of Spells, and the Crawler in the Huntara one and I'm sure at least one more.

I've always had this negative association with Entrapta because her hair was like a sad less-than-scary/intimidating version of Scorpia's tail, and I always (since having gotten the DVDs) felt that Scorpia was dropped by Filmation in favor of then writing for Entrapta; which totally sucked for us Scorpia fans. But, at least we did have her for a full season.
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Man's Minion View Post
    Well the fan-boy in me is crying out "Scorpiaaaaaa!!" I LOVE her! I will say, I totally understand fans voting for Double Trouble, and I too would have loved to have seen her in the 'toon (plus, she utilizes my favorite color, green).

I also think Octavia should have had more 'toon appearances, and agree with you SkyBreaker on her. However...

Well, I wouldn't say Catra was an awesome villain. Her voice was too shrill, ugh (though I've heard it was raised higher on the DVDs because all the sound was sped up a tad? Something like that). And not only that, but I don't like how she was kind of a "pseudo-villain", in that her attributes/powers weren't really hers. She got them from the mask of that cat queen when Hordak gave it to her, so that's her "crutch" IMO.

Mine too! And yes!

Okay, this is where I so totally disagree with you. Well true, she wasn't girly (except for her devotion to heavy green eye shadow, lol), but she could be cunning at times, but she was not "an outright goon" IMO. I think a lot of peoples' perception of her is sadly due to first of all, her thuggish voice, and second of all, the Wikipedia entry on her (which has been copied to other POP sites and MOTU-wiki-type pages), claiming "She is not the most intelligent member of the Horde.", citing as its evidence the fact that she believes Bow when he tricks her into thinking he's an inspector. Well, he was in disguise, and disguised his voice! What Horde member wouldn't have believed him?? That's how it went in those 'toons! So because of that influencing text, and her thuggish voice, I think that's why Scorpia's character doesn't get her true due.

She definitely has her moments of sharpness. Just look at "The Red Knight" when Mantenna is idiotically about to send Hordak into a fierce temper, and Scorpia quickly wraps her tail around his head to keep his mouth shut just in the nick of time, lol---I love that! And I love how she was definitely a force to be reckoned with---she was involved in many a Horde plot, villagers were scared of her, and Casta and She-Ra were definitely concerned when Scorpia got her evil pincers on the Book of Spells.

Love.

Well, I can see Filmation's point, but I too would have loved to have seen that! And Leech get to drain energy more...remember he did in the very first part of SOTS, but later in one episode he was going to drain a male villager, and it was so Hitchcockian suspenseful that he was "going to do it!!", but then the Rebels stopped him before he even got his hands on the man! Ugh...

Ah, yes...the Crawler, and Scorpion Hill in The Crimson Waste. Those were indeed very cool. Unlike Catra, and even Shadow Weaver, Scorpia had her own dominion and her own regiment of slaves/servants (Weaver had her own domain, but no "ruling power" like Scorpia had). That was such cool development for her, if only they had expanded on that more!

We were fortunate to get to see the Crawler and Scorpion Hill more than once, though. We saw Scorpion Hill in the episodes of Huntara, and the gril with the Book of Spells, and the Crawler in the Huntara one and I'm sure at least one more.

I've always had this negative association with Entrapta because her hair was like a sad less-than-scary/intimidating version of Scorpia's tail, and I always (since having gotten the DVDs) felt that Scorpia was dropped by Filmation in favor of then writing for Entrapta; which totally sucked for us Scorpia fans. But, at least we did have her for a full season.
    I've never really been a fan of Entrapta, she's always been filler for me. I guess some fans enjoyed her gimmick of big evil hair, and her role as an master of traps, however Scorpia is superior in every way.

Great idea for a topic!

My mind immediately jumped to Octavia as well, Sky Breaker, but the truth is she got better development in her intro episodes than many of the characters had in the entire series. I would have loved for her to make more appearances, but no...I don't think she earns the title of "Most Underdeveloped".

I don't feel Double Trouble counts because she wasn't even in the show. Yes, she was a toy, but she was a toy that wasn't a part of the series. If they'd thrown her in as a cameo somewhere, then fine, you'd have an argument. But if we're asking which character on the series got the least development, she doesn't even rank.

I'm sure she will be used in the future though, as her absence was noticeable, seeing as how she was an original POP figure from early in the line, and all.

I also have no love for Entrapa, MMM. She looked pretty gaudy and aside from her brief hair fight with Imp left no impression at all. Scorpia was much more formidable and interesting, especially with that gruff voice. We saw that she had her own base, but she seemed to have no clear position within the Horde ranks. She also didn't get along with Catra, whereas I felt Leech and Mantenna had at least a decent working relationship, LOL. There just isn't much we can say about Scorpia...we have pieces. She tried magic once...she has her own base and vehicle...and the implication is that her sting can seriously wound people. So I think she could definitely win this title because we're left wondering so much about her.

I think Glimmer was...poorly developed. She was so inconsistent and annoying most of the time that it was hard to care about episodes that focused on her. Romeo and Glimmer felt like a waste because I still didn't know enough about Glimmer as a person to care who she got a crush on. Still...she was a central character throughout, so I don't think she counts.

As for Catra, I agree that it was disappointing that she was given her mask (and therefore, we assume, her powers) by Hordak after he stole them from...of all things...a cat. But I did like that Catra wasn't some all-powerful character. I liked that she was a trying to work her way up, and had to answer to others. Her relationship with Sea Hawk and Adora help round her out, and I think she was well used overall, even if they could have done more with her origins, powers or motives.

And MMM, you are right - everyone's voices are pitched higher because of the PAL transfer of the series, which is sadly all that's available on DVD. If you want to hear her proper voice, watch SOTS on YouTube. I'm pretty sure there's a version online that someone took from a VHS, and that has the normal frame rate and pitch.

Ally of the Rebellion Robin Hood's Avatar
    Apart from Double Trouble I would say:

Entrapta: As she was a very serious scientist/engineer and we never got to see what she was like when see let her hair down!

Huntara: Because we only saw her in one episode and we got to know very little about her personally. While her fighting skills approaches that of She-Ra making for a great potential team up in the battle against the Horde.

The Melog (from the “Enemy with my face”): The She-Ra clone that Shadow Weaver created with her magic and which had equivalent strength and abilities was inspired. For the first time there was a villain who could really challenge She-Ra one-on-one. Yet the clone chose to turn away from the Horde and explore Etheria in the hope of learning more about herself. At least another episode showing how her character develops as she learns about the Etheria, its people and places, the Horde and the Rebellion would have completed the story nicely.
    Last edited by Robin Hood; April 20, 2014 at 03:48pm.

I've never really been a fan of Entrapta, she's always been filler for me...Scorpia is superior in every way.
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    I also have no love for Entrapa, MMM. She looked pretty gaudy and aside from her brief hair fight with Imp left no impression at all.
    I like the way you guys think in these statements, lol.

Scorpia was much more formidable and interesting, especially with that gruff voice. We saw that she had her own base, but she seemed to have no clear position within the Horde ranks. She also didn't get along with Catra. There just isn't much we can say about Scorpia...we have pieces. She tried magic once...she has her own base and vehicle...and the implication is that her sting can seriously wound people. So I think she could definitely win this title because we're left wondering so much about her.
    And that's part of what I love so much about her---I have always looked past the lead/main characters and been so instinctively drawn to the supporting characters, the ones we don't have as solid a background on. I think part of that is because I have such a vivid imagination and really love trying to fill in some of the blank spaces with my own story ideas. To me, the main reason Scorpia and Catra clash is because Catra was promoted to Horde Force Captain and enjoys her power trip in that position, while Scorpia was apparently either passed over or not considered for that position. After that, it was "the gloves are off". (and the claws are out, lol).

We also know that Scorpia and Shadow Weaver have a good working relationship. They get along well, apparently without any issues at all. That's interesting because Catra and Shadow Weaver don't get along with their Magic vs. Technology war, yet Scorpia, who uses technology, respects Shadow Weaver's position of sorceress within The Horde.

I'm also terribly interested in Scorpia's origin. Where did she come from? We know that she became "Scorpia" because of Hordak's interference/influence, as there is that one episode where he's ticked off at all his minions at the beginning, showing them footage of their failures, and saying (paraphrasing here) "You were all created for me for The Horde!"---Whatever exact sentence it was, it was clear that The Horde members' origins were due to Hordak. Was Scorpia a peasant woman captured by The Horde and fused with a scorpion? Was she fascinated with arthropods and went to The Horde willingly? Did Shadow Weaver seduce her into becoming a scorpion woman with great power and influence? We don't know, and that's fascinating (this same fact also occurs to others whose origins we don't know about).

And we know she likes desolate wastelands and earth tones for her homes, yet she loves to be extremely feminine with her exaggerated eye shadow, which is awesome, lol.

And MMM, you are right - everyone's voices are pitched higher because of the PAL transfer of the series, which is sadly all that's available on DVD. If you want to hear her proper voice, watch SOTS on YouTube. I'm pretty sure there's a version online that someone took from a VHS, and that has the normal frame rate and pitch.
    Oo, thanks, I'm curious to go look that up and hear all the voices---and I only knew that in the first place because I saw someone here at the .Org discuss the sped-up episodes on the DVDs.
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Ohhh, it drives me nuts. What kind of idiotic person says, "Oh hey look, we have this entire library of television shows. We can either keep both versions, or TRASH THE ORIGINALS because I happen to prefer the PAL UK version. Yeah, let's trash the originals." Moron.

That is, if the story about Hallmark trashing the NTSC USA original versions is even true. It might not be. So for the moment, we're stuck with PAL transfers. Lame. I really can't stand the sound of Adora and Hordak's voices in certain episodes as they both seem to have sucked on helium balloons.

I'm also terribly interested in Scorpia's origin. Where did she come from? We know that she became "Scorpia" because of Hordak's interference/influence, as there is that one episode where he's ticked off at all his minions at the beginning, showing them footage of their failures, and saying (paraphrasing here) "You were all created for me for The Horde!"---Whatever exact sentence it was, it was clear that The Horde members' origins were due to Hordak
    I'm pretty sure I'd have remembered Hordak saying something that informative. No, I don't think it was ever stated that the entire Horde (Mantenna, Leech, Scorpia, etc) were created for Hordak. It's reasonable to assume some of them arrived as they were (Griz perhaps?) and earned their rank.

Otherwise, are we to assume Hordak created Entrapa's pretty pretty hair to use as fierce, deadly weapon?

I don't need to know Scorpia's origin...I just wish she'd gotten another focal episode or two to better develop her relationships with the other characters and general goals/attitude. She seemed fun and deadly at the same time.

Frosta Given the fact that she was Queen of her own realm (and unlike some of the other female rebels she possessed immense magical power), it would have been nice to see Frosta really flex her mystical muscle and engage the Horde head on. The icy kingdom wasn't explored, and there was so much potential to unlock the ancient secrets, frozen in time. Frosta could have been a far more active participant in the fight against the Horde. If we were given the chance to see the Horde actually conquer and enslave people other than the scrawny villagers of Thaymore would have been a refreshing twist. I personally would have loved to see them set up a base of operations in Frosta's kingdom and threaten her people. Their occupation of the Kingdom of Snows could have been a great little story arc. I guess this will be the work of fan fiction, unless we get some cool new POP media.
    Frosta would be mine. I would have liked to have seen her have a better voice actress. I wasn't a fan of Erika Scheimer's voice acting.

Definitely Double Trouble. However, that's one of the reasons that she's among my favoute POP characters. I like that she's a blank slate and that we can all decide for ourselves what her personality should be like and whose side she should be on.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Frosta would be mine. I would have liked to have seen her have a better voice actress. I wasn't a fan of Erika Scheimer's voice acting.
    I agree. The only time I thought she did a good job was as Imp. He was meant to be an annoying little snot and she certainly voiced him that way!

Oh come now - wasn't Scorpia's voice the most awesome, unexpected choice ever???

So for the moment, we're stuck with PAL transfers. Lame. I really can't stand the sound of Adora and Hordak's voices in certain episodes as they both seem to have sucked on helium balloons.
    We're stuck with Catra's shrill shrieking, and it's Adora and Hordak's voices who bother you? lol

I'm pretty sure I'd have remembered Hordak saying something that informative. No, I don't think it was ever stated that the entire Horde (Mantenna, Leech, Scorpia, etc) were created for Hordak.
    No, he did say that to them. And I do believe all the "biggies" were in his presence when he angrily repremanded them with this. I haven't watched POP in a long time so I don't know the episode for sure, but I think, I think, it might be "Huntara". But yes, I thought that was such a relevation that all of The Horde were who they are due to Hordak's power. Pretty cool.

Okay, I just searched it on YouTube---yeah, it's "Huntara", and Hordak says so Scorpia, Catra, Grizzlor, Leech, and Mantenna (with Shadow Weaver by his side): "Silence! Horde science and magic turned you into the greatest force squad ever to destroy a planet!"

Now that I witness it again, that line does seem more ambiguous and evasive, and open to interpretation. You could look at it as simply Horde aid making them a greater force squad than they would have originally been, or my initial interpretation that the Horde members came to be because of Hordak, or something in between.

Otherwise, are we to assume Hordak created Entrapa's pretty pretty hair to use as fierce, deadly weapon?
    Well, this was before they "replaced" Scorpia with her...grrrrrrrrr...but, according to what Hordak said in that earlier statement, I guess we are to assume that! lol

Double Trouble, Spinnerella, Netossa, Star Sisters and Entrapta.

MMM, I was totally going to disagree with you on your claim that Hordak states conclusively that he evolved those characters into what they are in "Huntara". It's one of my favourite episodes, and I'd have remembered something that declarative.

...but now that you've quoted the line in question, I think I can see how you might have heard it differently. Interesting - I never assumed the Hordesters were evolved. Etheria's got some funky races as it is, right? I just assumed they were recruited or found their way to Hordak somehow.

I like that we both have different takes on that line, and both make sense!! Isn't She-Ra an amazing show?

...but now that you've quoted the line in question, I think I can see how you might have heard it differently. Interesting - I never assumed the Hordesters were evolved. Etheria's got some funky races as it is, right? I just assumed they were recruited or found their way to Hordak somehow.

I like that we both have different takes on that line, and both make sense!! Isn't She-Ra an amazing show?
    Yes, it is! And thanks for seeing how I could see what I thought I saw. I will say I can see your interpretation as well, which I admit is probably what the writers were going for, but, I believe there is just enough of a slit of ambiguity for those like me to interpret it (or initially "want" to interpret it) as "something more".

I looked up the original episode cause I felt so sure I was right, and then I was like, "Ohhh..." LOL So I can totally see where you guys come from with your all's meaning. But, yes, it is fun to imagine it that way in that Hordak kind of "created" his own Horde by capturing/luring/trapping these folks and enhancing/fusing/empowering them.

I don't know that this is one of my favorite episodes since it focuses so much on a "one-shot" character, but I will say it is one of my favorite Scorpia episodes (okay, it's not a "Scorpia episode", but I mean as far as her part in it). Man, I love the layers and depth of the relationships on this series. First of all we know that Catra and Scorpia fight likes cats and---scorpions? , yet, while they both basically can't stand each other, we see that they would rather put up with each other than put up with Imp; there's that little moment at the beginning between them when Catra confides in Scorpia what she would gladly do to Imp, and Scorpia eagerly agrees she would be glad to help her. So cool; a small thing, but I love it, lol.

And then of course Catra nad Scorpia calling their "truce" when Catra humbles herself by going to Scorpia's domain on Scorpion Hill and proposes they work together. And Scorpia's closing line of that scene---"I may not like you very much, but I'd rather you be Force Captain than Huntara!"---again, so telling, love it!

A double-edged power sword here...I often lament how they just let go of Scorpia and could have done so much with her, especially when I see these "gems" in the series, but I do love these awesome Scorpia moments and appreciate they even created her in the first place, and did include her in so many episodes.
    Last edited by Mer-Man's Minion; February 15, 2013 at 04:31pm.

I would have liked to seen more of Frosta
    2 HIGH PRIESTESS 3 EMPRESS SHE-MAN MASTERS
    He-Man Masters of the Universe Classics Princess of Power She-Ra Bow
    http://mastersoftheuniverseclassicsh...assics-images/