Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brief Interview With Jon Chu On MOTU Movie

Brief Interview With Jon Chu On MOTU Movie

Chu linked to it himself on Twitter. TBH, he doesnít really say that much. Iíll put the interview here, anyway. He says they're going to be working away on it for the next "several months", so don't expect to hear any other news on it anytime soon. At least itís something. Itís nice to finally hear from the director, at least.

Jon M. Chu is probably best known as the man who turned the Step Up series into the moviesí premier dance-oriented franchise, but his two upcoming projects may make him Hollywoodís go-to guy for action-figure adaptations.

Although heís currently overseeing the process of dimensionalizing G.I. Joe: Retaliation as its March 29, 2013 release date nears, Chu is already looking to his next project, a big-screen version of iconic Ď80s toy property Masters of the Universe.

Chu spoke exclusively to Celebuzz via email about this upcoming film, which is being written by Richard Wenk (The Expendables 2).

After G.I. Joe, what prompted Chuís decision to do another toy-cartoon adaptation?

Jon M. Chu: I was approached about doing a Masters of the Universe movie and while at first I was skeptical, I read the script and I was blown away. I had no idea what to expect but it was such a fresh, UNEXPECTED approach I was immediately intrigued. I never expected to connect on a human level to a MOTU movie but I really plugged in emotionally. That alone, got me excited to see what we could do with the property.

MOTU is such a challenging puzzle to make into a movie that works to a contemporary audience but the script seemed to really crack it for me. I think people are really going to be surprised at the rich story we have the opportunity to tell in this world. Where you think MOTU goes left, the script goes right and it was just very clear to me this was something very special.

It was never a conscious decision to do another ďtoyĒ movie but when I read this I couldnít put it down. And I definitely couldnít let anyone else make it but myself It was just too much fun.

CB: What sort of fan were you of the toy or cartoon series?

Chu: I LOVED the toys growing up. I had Grayskull, I had BattleCat/Cringer, I had Stratos and Orko and obviously He-Man and Skeletor. I also watched the cartoon a lot growing up. This is my era, so going to Mattel to visit their headquarters was like walking into a childhood fantasy. They had a lifesized He-Man in the lobby as well as a glass case with EVERY SINGLE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE action figure on display. It brought me back to my youth and I knew I had to be a part of getting this movie together. For every MOTU fan out there, it felt like it was time and I wanted to make sure to protect it in the process.

CB: Is it a property you feel is wide open for an adaptation, or does the í80s movie put any pressure on you?

Chu: I feel like thereís a lot of room to crack open the Masters of the Universe story. We are still in our process and I think we have some great seeds planted but making one of these types of movies RIGHT takes a lot of TONAL tightroping so weíre just going to play for the next several months. Play with designs, play with the characters, try new things, maybe go too far on some things and pull back. The process is really important to find where the right line is so we can land right on it. I think thatís what can dig out the properties full potential for a cinematic rebirth.

I donít really think about the 80s movie when looking at this movie because the script here is so strong and so unique. I think the characters are so grounded and layered I never expected that in a Masters movie so to me itís on a totally different level. Donít get me wrong, I love the 80s movie for full nostalgic reasons but this script feels like itís a totally different genre than that one.

CB: How soon are you looking forward to starting?

Chu: I canít say exactly, but my first priority right now is still G.I. Joe: Retaliation. We are finishing the dimensionalizing of the film and I want the audience to be blown away by the 3D work we do in it so that takes a lot of my time and energy currently. Itís a lot of technical and creative stuff put together which I love. I canít wait for people to see what weíve done, finally!
    Here's the link: http://www.celebuzz.com/2012-10-17/n...vie-exclusive/

He seems to gave a great attitude about the property and I like what he's says, but *sigh* at playing "for the next several months."

A writer over at www.badassdigest.com just reported all of this and really teared into MOTU. I want to put a flaming bag of poo on his doorstep. This guy apparently has no joy in his life!

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    He seems to gave a great attitude about the property and I like what he's says, but *sigh* at playing "for the next several months."
    Yeah, the several months thing is a bit of a bummer. It’s all part of the process, though, as he says. I do like some of his comments, about doing MOTU justice and all that. Like Michael Bay before taking on the first Transformers film, Chu has apparently already gone through “MOTU school” by visiting the Mattel headquarters. We'll have to wait and see. My guess is, if this is going to happen, the serious work won’t begin until next March, after GI Joe is released. So we’ve got a bit of a wait.

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    A writer over at www.badassdigest.com just reported all of this and really teared into MOTU. I want to put a flaming bag of poo on his doorstep. This guy apparently has no joy in his life!
    It wasn't Devin Faraci by any chance? The man is a joke and is notorious on the Internet, for all the wrong reasons. I never read anything reported by him on principle. If it wasn't him, all the people who report for that site are the same breed, anyway. They all remind me of Brian from Family Guy. That same kind of person.
    Last edited by Krueger; October 17, 2012 at 05:07pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    It wasn't Devin Faraci by any chance? The man is a joke and is notorious on the Internet, for all the wrong reasons. I never read anything reported by him on principle. If it wasn't him, all the people who report for that site are the same breed, anyway. They all remind me of Brian from Family Guy. That same kind of person.
    That's him!

Here, enjoy this:
    Last edited by zodak74; October 17, 2012 at 05:10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    That's exactly him!
    Yeah, I thought so. Honestly, anything he says is to be entered via one ear and exited through the other with great speed. Really, he is an idiot. All of his "articles" are continuously laced with an almost dark cynicism that can actually be quite sinister. As I said, Brian from Family Guy. Just a pretentious, wannabe, sneerer.

I like what a read...I just don't want to see any Channing Tatum in any type of MOTU role.
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 7.21.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

Interesting but I'm a little confused , he is fascinated with the script ... but this will be rewritten?

I'm really disgusted with the ignorant and prejudiced Devin Faraci
    Last edited by heavy-eternium; October 17, 2012 at 06:23pm.
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post
    Interesting but I'm a little confused , he is fascinated with the script ... but this will be rewritten?
    I assume the script he's referring to is the one written by Alex Litvak and Michael Finch. I presume this "rewrite" is a fine tune up to maybe beef it up a little. At least I hope that's all it is!
    Last edited by Krueger; October 17, 2012 at 07:16pm.

Filmation fan & proud redsquadron's Avatar
    "Dimensionalizing"??? Well, Chu is certainly embiggoning that GI JOE FILM...
    I survived the 2013 sub ordeal!
    "We achieved the impossible, and that makes us MIGHTY" (Mal Reynolds, captain of Serenity)

you just know he's gonna get the part of He-man!!
    Quote Originally Posted by JafariStew View Post
    I like what a read...I just don't want to see any Channing Tatum in any type of MOTU role.
    ok as far as Chu getting to direct this I would like to see Gi joe 2 first to see if he can pull off a movie of MOTU magnitude. saying that one thing I am super fearful as it happend with the joe brand is that if and when the MOTU movie rolls around and that 4H and matty havn't finished the current line of MOTUC we get stuffed with movie figures with craptastic action features and the MOTUC is shelfed

This interview gives me a renewed hope for this film!
    Ė No comment.

Heroic Warrior
    I actually share one sentiment with that writer. It's something I've been saying for a while and that is I do not know how well a film in this day and age will go over with the main character having the name "He-Man". For a nostalgic toyline/comic book/cartoon, it works. But if the recent comic book films worked, I guess this could to.

Jon Chu behind the camera is going to mean automatic failure though. He seems like a real "yes man" with absolutely no artistic vision whatsoever. But that's most likely the exact kind of person Mattel wants so that they can have total artistic control over the project.

It pains me to say this and I know I'll offend a few. But MOTU was never a genuine artistic vision. It was always a commercial product and the employment of hired guns to create the cannon has resulted in an absolute mess of a cannon (or should I say multiple cannons) that is going to require a major revision in order to work for live action, especially for today. Plenty of people will be let down.

I can do without a movie. No matter who makes it, it will be a piece of crap made just to take your money. It's like begging to be raped.

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    There is no real information in this interveiw.

What about the story? What about the meaning? What about the message?

This movie has the potential to be the best and most important movie ever made.
    It will likely be the worst.

Gives me hope...this movie looks like it's going to rule. So glad they have people that care about it!

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Good news, at least we've heard something from him.
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

Quote Originally Posted by redsquadron View Post
    "Dimensionalizing"??? Well, Chu is certainly embiggoning that GI JOE FILM...
    I hope he turns out a cromulent production.

looks like MOTU will be delayed because of the GI JOE delay. I never liked that damned property!
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

I did like how he constantly referred to the property as "MotU" or "Masters" or "Masters of the Universe." He never referred to it as just "He-Man" as many non-fans do. To me, this shows that he could be versed in the lore enough to know that the story isn't just about He-Man. This gives me hope.

I also noticed that he said that he "watched" the cartoon, not that he "liked" it. Semantics, I know, but it gives me hope that he is NOT a Filmation fan. He can't say that he didn't like it cuz that would tick off the Filmation fans.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

I like the fact that he mentioned having Orko. Please put Orko in the film.

ok at first I was thinking damn I don't want Orko in a live movie but then since i've been watching the filmation show again (god bless netfllix :P) I don't mind him as much. I just don't hope that they don't fixate on him being a main character or a major plot point for the movie and more just there for comic relief. one thing I do hope they keep is a decent Keldor to skeletor origin in the movie. that would be awesome.

Widget
    I'm actually very reassured that someone with that kind of love for the original properties is taking helm of this thing. While I'm not a fan by any means of the fact we still have to wait for substantial casting news and such, this isn't a flash in the pan. We see directorial interviews like this one. So I will be a patient he-fan and just be happy with the fact that we're likely to see a drastic change and possible improvement from the 80s legend we all know and love. He should just brag about He-Man more than Retaliation. Just sayin.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    I guess we'll have to see what GI Joe 2 turned out to be before having any feel for how he handles a movie like this. I will say he fits the pattern of successful super-movies over the years, though. Usually the best and biggest hits in this genre come from not the big time directors, but the ones who have done smaller films before. The bad stuff comes from the big shots who become Hollywood's darlings (Woo and the wobbly play doh Hulk come immediately to mind). Face it, when was the last mega blockbuster Jos Whedon directed? I've never seen any of Chu's stuff, but he does seem to have a genuine affection for the property, having some of the toys and actually remembering things like Cringer being Battle Cat. That gives me a little hope here. What I would have liked to have heard, though, is how he sees the property as a whole. I recall being very concerned about the initial descriptions of the first Fantastic Four film, but then they talked to director Story and he said he saw the film as not about a super-hero team, but about a disfuntional family, which told me he basically got the main concept of the FF. I also recall knowing Batflop and Ripoff, er, Batman and Robin was going to be a disaster when Schumacher said Bats had gotten over his parent's death in the last movie (nothing like throwing out your main character's principal motivation like a used rag). I'd like to hear something about how Chu sees the characters. Some of his comments were awfully close to the standard Hollywood "we're re-imagining this thing," which is always a portent of doom. On the other hand, he does speak of "protecting" it for fans, and he mentions story and character rather than action and explosions; in fact, I don't think he even talked about the latter at all.

I think there are a few things that made me raise an eyebrow, but also some things that make me hopeful. As always, the whole thing is going to depend on whether or not they keep the basic tenets of the property intact. When they do that, you can get something like Hellboy or Avengers. When they don't, you get Catwoman or a Shumacher Bat-film.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Well he's known for the Step Up franchise...so really my thoughts on him are not too positive. But then again I look at that trailer of G.I.Joe 2 and have just a slight more faith on him so let's give it some time... and REAL patience!!!
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

LOL! Did someone just say that this could be the most important movie of all time? Bless your soul.
    If Jack Bauer was on Lost, everything would have been solved in 24 hours!

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

Quote Originally Posted by tycondrius View Post
    you just know he's gonna get the part of He-man!!

ok as far as Chu getting to direct this I would like to see Gi joe 2 first to see if he can pull off a movie of MOTU magnitude. saying that one thing I am super fearful as it happend with the joe brand is that if and when the MOTU movie rolls around and that 4H and matty havn't finished the current line of MOTUC we get stuffed with movie figures with craptastic action features and the MOTUC is shelfed
    I am glad they are taking there time on it for this very reason. I just hope that if the movie is successful, Management don't get more involved pushing Scott aside for their own greed, after all Scott has done trying to keep the line alive and profitable. If Scott is still involved during the movie, you can guarantee Classics will still be around and more than likely given a bigger budget.

Even if Gi Joe 2 does okay and not that well, gives little indication that he won't be a better director in the sci-fi / fantasy genre instead of the modern day action. Masters maybe his first great movie. Let's hope.
    Last edited by Paul Justice; October 19, 2012 at 02:49am.