Thread: Opened my first MOTU Classic...Shokingly disappointed :-0

Hybrid View

Opened my first MOTU Classic...Shockingly disappointed :-0

I've been collecting since 2009 off and on depending how bills flow. I probably have around 30+ figs. Since I can only afford 1 of each, I've never opened them. The MOC collector in me likes how they come in a special white mailer box. Recently I bought He-man and Battle cat for the first time in the Party Pack sale...What a great deal Btw. So when they showed up yesterday my 3 year old daughter was asking to open them. I kinda had it in my head that since I got such a great deal I'd open them when they arrived anyways. Plus, I wanted to share with my daughter the toys that daddy played with so we shot about a 20 min video of me trying to open the package carefully without destroying them.

Off the bat I thought how ridiculously over packaged these guys were. There is just no need for all the ties. Especially since they all sit in a vaccuform cradles. If they wanted to assure no pieces moved around it would be better to move to a full clam shell.

After I wrestled the figs out of the package I soon then noticed the warped loose joints around the ankles and knees. Battle Cat's legs are especially a mess. Since these are the first MOTUC i opened I have nothing to compare too. I think some of this has been improved with the new ankle joints. But still I noticed the plastic must be loaded with filler. It seems too soft and prone to warpage.

I use to work as a moldmaker and lab technician in many special effects houses doing model kits. Filler is often used to extend the quantity of plastic. The result is a lighter, softer casting. Warpage occurs in the demolding process when the plastic stretches and bends.

I'm also disappointed in the paint applications. For some reason my Battle Cat has a white spot on his foot. As if some paint from another toy spurted on it as the where painting it. I know all the wash effects are used to enhance the detail but the kinda feel to matte and dusty for my taste. It just dosent seem like a toy you could ever really play with or let your kids play with. I know these are collector toys but the paint feels very delicate to me as if the are missing some sort of binder or sealant coat on there paint.

Also Battle Cat's saddle seems too big and an after thought. I heard a rumor the used a stock cat from some other toyline. I have to say BattleCat dosen't wow me at all.

All in All I know understand peoples complaints of quality a bit more clearer now. The rest of my MOTUC will remain on card. I'm now questioning my pre-order for Castle Grayskull, perhaps that will remain in box. I think the price of these toys would feel right if they were cut in half. They just dont feel that right to me in my hand. Its a shame that they are hell bent on this vintage look, They will never duplicate the actual feel of the vintage toy in our hands.
    Last edited by seth-man; October 19, 2012 at 10:11am.

Battlecat doesn't wow you?? that statement wows me. he's sculpted for this line and the saddle out of the package has to be adjusted, once you find the sweet spot it looks great.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Heroic Warrior
    Caverns of Rakash (Formerly of Darksmoke)
    The saddle for Panthor and Battlecat are a pain in the behind. I don't think there is a "sweet spot". This is one thing I have to agree with, the saddles on these figures are just wrong and don't work with the figure the way they should. Otherwise I love my Panthor and Battlecat figs.

Quote Originally Posted by Draego-Man View Post
    The saddle for Panthor and Battlecat are a pain in the behind. I don't think there is a "sweet spot". This is one thing I have to agree with, the saddles on these figures are just wrong and don't work with the figure the way they should. Otherwise I love my Panthor and Battlecat figs.
    I got mine on, with some struggle but the spot i fastened it is perfect, I had to do it to both BC and panthor but the saddles fit perfect and they look great on them. i won't lie you REALLY have to pull those straps to fasten them, but once you do it's tight and looks amazing.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

There are lots of problems with this line.

However, I've collected it since the very beginning & all of my figures stand with no trouble. I've never had floppy ankles.

There have been one or two other problems, but I was able to fix them.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Battlecat doesn't "wow" someone? I have to agree with krosfyah and say that statement wows me. The sculpt was created for MotU, and I think LATER used for another line. Not the other way around. It sucks about the white on the bottom of his paw…but the sculpt is amazing. There is in fact a sweet spot with the saddle. I got mine on BC and it's stayed in place ever since.
    Last edited by chuc98; October 19, 2012 at 12:09pm.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    There are lots of problems with this line.

However, I've collected it since the very beginning & all of my figures stand with no trouble. I've never had floppy ankles.
    Then you should've been playing the lottery. I didn't have a single figure that could stand on their own two feet (or explode) after Scare Glow (November 2009) until Vikor (Jan 2011). Including a re-issue Skeletor who had feet so loose they rattled when you picked the figure up and a Marzo who did the superman when you lifted the figure up; with his toes immediately pointing straight down once there wasn't something under them.

Personally the only way I could get the saddles right on Panthor and BC was to remove the saddle, reposition it to where it was right and then strap it back on, really putting those straps on tight across the underside of the figure. Once that was done, the saddle was fine.
    Matty, Great Black Wizard figure please!

Heroic Warrior
    Caverns of Rakash (Formerly of Darksmoke)
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    I got mine on, with some struggle but the spot i fastened it is perfect, I had to do it to both BC and panthor but the saddles fit perfect and they look great on them. i won't lie you REALLY have to pull those straps to fasten them, but once you do it's tight and looks amazing.
    Never tried to pull too hard. I was always worried about the strap breaking.

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    Thanks for the tips about the neck joint (using the clear bands), I think it helped some! But in regards to the saddle, it is a pain. I too am worried about breaking the saddle strap. Would you advise using a hair dryer and heating the strap a bit before putting it on? Thanks in advance!

I have 10 loose extra & custom figures and almost 40 MOSC, sure I'm astounded by most of the early figures lack of ability to stand up....greatly.... And yeah, my sons "Essentials" He-Man (I bought it back in Jan....I think) has a bit o' gum in his boots, but my son has relentlessly played with him for almost a year....has never pulled him apart or broken him. I was kind of disappointed by my extra Horde Prime's gummy biceps, kind of felt like I could pull them right off the shoulders....but he is fine, I bought him to paint up anyway.

Most of the 10 figures I have as extra or customs, had loose ankles before I started with them....even as recent as Kobra Khan....my TRU Stratos & Zodac have somewhat loose heads, no where near bobble effect, but loose, my Mo-Larr Skeletor has loose knees, ankles and elbows....all have been fixed by the boil and pop method....Faker, Khan, MAA, my sons He-Man....all had loose ankles....also fixed....should we have to? Hell no....but I know most of the issues on the newer figures are resolved....not all, but most....even though now we have to contend with the stupid ass painted figures now....which ****** me off more than loose joints, because loose joints can be fixed, peeling and chipping paint....not so much, at least without looking like crap....which I would open all my figures should I get the inkling to do, all except the new painted ones....those unfortunately, will permanently remain sealed.

As far as packaging, you want over packaged....look at most of the Transformers....way too much. MOTUC is not over packaged, rubber bands are easy to cut, and they don't show up MOSC, sure with the snug fit of the blister inserts they don't absolutely need the bands, but I have a 1st edition BA Skeletor that has none, and I had to slap the card back flat on the desk to get him back into his cradle....I for one can appreciate the rubber bands.

For us MOSC collectors, if we don't open them....who cares anyway?

All I can say is, don't be too disappointed, most of these things are in really great shape despite a few flaws....there are some though, I wouldn't buy if they cost $1 each....Goddess, Snout Spout....simply because I'd know I was buying a for sure potentially defective figure....and that's not happening....and I say that because you don't know what part of the run your Goddess is from, and over half I would say of SS's have rotted.

My extra TP He-Man is one of the best figures I have opened from MOTUC....Khan was fine except his ankles, Horde Prime is fine, just his shoulders feel a little gummy. I am not a proponent of Mattel by no means, nor am I saying your opinion is wrong, I am saying you have only opened 2 MOTUC, and by now (you know injection molding, so do I, molds degrade) they have both been molded to death....

And as I said, my sons He-Man feels a bit gummy in the calves and boots, and has loose ankles, but nothing has broken, and honestly, with all his play, nothing is much looser than it was almost a year ago, and, he can still stand for the most part.

But as far as Battle Cat goes, I am impressed, as am I with Panthor & Swiftwind....but my Swiftwind has all 4 correct legs, and as far as the wings....yeah, I'm sure I'd be ****** if I opened him, and those wings give me the popping out issues, or even break.
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Hm...well, sorry to hear it, but don't base too much on a couple figures. Honestly there hasn't been a warp yet that I couldn't fix with a little hot water. On top of that, there have been so few warps for me, which is strange, considering how awkwardly they like the package these guys (in poses, I mean). Worst case scenario they put weapons in thier hands, which stretches out the hand and makes them unable to hold things properly, but once again, the hot water trick usually fixes that.

So far I'm still able to root through my collection, pull out a figure, and continue to be amazed by each one. They're all fun to play with, and I honestly haven't had all the problems that are supposed to be running rampant through this toyline.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by seth-man View Post
    I've been collecting since 2009 off and on depending how bills flow. I probably have around 30+ figs. Since I can only afford 1 of each, I've never opened them. The MOC collector in me likes how they come in a special white mailer box. Recently I bought He-man and Battle cat for the first time in the Party Pack sale...What a great deal Btw. So when they showed up yesterday my 3 year old daughter was asking to open them. I kinda had it in my head that since I got such a great deal I'd open them when they arrived anyways. Plus, I wanted to share with my daughter the toys that daddy played with so we shot about a 20 min video of me trying to open the package carefully without destroying them.

Off the bat I thought how ridiculously over packaged these guys were. There is just no need for all the ties. Especially since they all sit in a vaccuform cradles. If they wanted to assure no pieces moved around it would be better to move to a full clam shell.

After I wrestled the figs out of the package I soon then noticed the warped loose joints around the ankles and knees. Battle Cat's legs are especially a mess. Since these are the first MOTUC i opened I have nothing to compare too. I think some of this has been improved with the new ankle joints. But still I noticed the plastic must be loaded with filler. It seems too soft and prone to warpage.

I use to work as a moldmaker and lab technician in many special effects houses doing model kits. Filler is often used to extend the quantity of plastic. The result is a lighter, softer casting. Warpage occurs in the demolding process when the plastic stretches and bends.

I'm also disappointed in the paint applications. For some reason my Battle Cat has a white spot on his foot. As if some paint from another toy spurted on it as the where painting it. I know all the wash effects are used to enhance the detail but the kinda feel to matte and dusty for my taste. It just dosent seem like a toy you could ever really play with or let your kids play with. I know these are collector toys but the paint feels very delicate to me as if the are missing some sort of binder or sealant coat on there paint.

Also Battle Cat's saddle seems too big and an after thought. I heard a rumor the used a stock cat from some other toyline. I have to say BattleCat dosen't wow me at all.

All in All I know understand peoples complaints of quality a bit more clearer now. The rest of my MOTUC will remain on card. I'm now questioning my pre-order for Castle Grayskull, perhaps that will remain in box. I think the price of these toys would feel right if they were cut in half. They just dont feel that right to me in my hand. Its a shame that they are hell bent on this vintage look, They will never duplicate the actual feel of the vintage toy in our hands.
    I also had some buyer's remorse after getting Battle Cat recently. I'm not that bothered about the packaging (although it's difficult to get out of the box without damaging the box), but it takes some work to get him to stand up straight. I appreciate the effort in giving him so much articulation, but I think a bit less articulation would have served a four-legged beast better. I think it would be better if he didn't have the ability to splay his legs at all. I love the detail on his armor though. He looks amazing. He's grown on me after a few days. I'll probably keep him.

In general I think the MOTUC line looks fantastic, but strikes me as a bit fragile. I let my three year old play with (most) of my vintage MOTU stuff. It holds up just fine. But I don't know that this modern line would survive. I know they're meant for adult collectors, but I'd be willing to trade some articulation for a figure that felt more solid. The ab crunch feature seems unnecessary. Maybe just some basic GI Joe-level articulation would have been better. Or maybe not.

The only thing that bothers me about the vintage figures are the legs. They might as well have glued the legs in place in the pelvis, because the rubber band joints (while looking good) don't really add any playability. They just make it tricky to get them to stand up. And I don't know why they chose to make them all squat.

Personally I'm glad the MOTUC line follows the vintage line closely in terms of overall look. Sometimes it works better than others. Sy-Klone's colors are a tad too bright. Beast Man is perhaps not bright enough. But I wouldn't be interested in a line that looked too "updated"
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

To each their own as to whether they like to open their figures or not.I keep mine carded as I enjoy the way they look displayed better. After all these QC issues I'm glad I've done so. Some of these figures appear so fragile on top of the paint scratch issues I don't know how Mattel can justify these figues being played with.I'm sure it comes down to sales,why would they tell their consumer you can't.

Quote Originally Posted by King Criss79 View Post
    To each their own as to whether they like to open their figures or not.I keep mine carded as I enjoy the way they look displayed better. After all these QC issues I'm glad I've done so. Some of these figures appear so fragile on top of the paint scratch issues I don't know how Mattel can justify these figues being played with.I'm sure it comes down to sales,why would they tell their consumer you can't.
    I am for the most part a lover of MISP things....I reluctantly opened my MOTUC collection when I thought I was going to move back in October, but plans fell through, and I was left with a 90% Loose collection....oh well, after weeks of messing with different display options, I finally settled on one I love, and I still yet refined it more as of a few weeks ago to what it still is now.

But I kept the Blastic figures sealed until I got the urge I couldn't fight, but I kept the packages i a state I could toss the figures back in anytime I choose, and my Zoloworld cases make them appear as if they were still sealed....I do have 3 still MOSC....Shadow Weaver, an extra She-Ra & Trap Jaw, since I modified She-Ra once I opened her to look better on the shelf, and I used my first Kronis head for my Dragstor custom.

I still have a virtual MOSC collection as a custom pictures I made for a slide show on my desktop, I also love the MOTUC packages, they are all uniform for once in something I collect....at times I still regret opening them, but I have to admit, with the backer cards as a background....they look great on my shelves, side by side in order of release, not clustered all in lumps, that bugs me so much, this way I can see everything of each figure, and I can take them from the shelf without worrying if bumping one will cause a domino effect. I have my toy collection in a moderate sized walk in closet, safe from daylight, and safe from dust, so long as the door stays closed, and I am happy, but still having openers remorse at times, but rebuilding a small new MOSC collection helps with that.

Also to note, the painted figures I opened haven't chipped or anything, Spikor has a few tiny specks of missing paint on the back of one shoulder, Skeletor has on pin hole in the paint, but you can see under one wrist joint it wasn't fully painted, the top of Rattlor's tail section where it meets his shoulder blades isn't fully painted, but they're both mostly hidden in seems, and Castle Grayskullman had a spot on him I thought was dirt, turns out it took a small chip of paint off when I scratched at it, but I managed to color match him luckily and now you can't see it. But I have had no further issues aside from the ones they had when they first came out of the package....Rattlor's paint is nice and solid, as is Meks....but I am still afraid to move Skeletor too much. Possibly because of the lighter blue will show any at all spots of black even tiny tiny ones....
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; December 23, 2012 at 11:06pm.
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

I've seen your collection pictures and it looks nice & uniform. I ended up displaying mine on 18-35 inch shelves by the release waves of the vintage figures.At Power-con 2 I got to touch a figure out of package for the first time and it felt rather strange..

Quote Originally Posted by King Criss79 View Post
    I've seen your collection pictures and it looks nice & uniform. I ended up displaying mine on 18-35 inch shelves by the release waves of the vintage figures.At Power-con 2 I got to touch a figure out of package for the first time and it felt rather strange..
    They do feel strange at first, more softer than you'd think....I was used to dealing with Transformers and they are hard plastic....and when I got a second Faker back in August of '11 I opened my first MOTUC, and I wasn't used to the feeling of these things....they felt delicate, but the more I messed with Faker, the more I liked how they felt, and realized outside of a few possibilities, they really aren't that delicate. But I'll tell you what the ones that have really tight joints....man, watch out how you loosen them up....I thought I was going to break Demo Man's feet right off, then I heated him up a bit, and he loosened right up. The Palace Guard buck I bought for my Filmation MAA custom was super tight, and DB Skeletor's right shoulder, the one that's up in the package was stuck, I had to heat it up as well.

But then you get the ones that can't stand up because the ankles are too loose....????....the one thing I hate about the line is the inconsistent quality. Most of the new ones are good, and tight, but Khan has loose ankles on both of the ones I bought, Frosta had loose elbows and one knee. Spikor, Randor, TP He-Man, SMAA, Horde Prime, Rattlor (especially), Mekaneck, Fisto, DB Skeletor, Castle Grayskullman....all have the best joints I have ever seen in this line. The Worst....Beast Man, He-Man (ankles), Mo-Larr set Skeletor, Adora (ankles), Keldor (ankles).

The long loin cloths suck, they seriously limit posability, except on Rattlor....MOSC figures can hide flaws I found out....my first Trap Jaw and I never noticed it MOSC....had a backwards foot, and the calf was turned around, the packaging hid it....once I opened it, it still took me like a week to notice it, and that was because I had him standing next to Man E Faces....I had to pop the foot off and turn it around, now he's fine.

But despite the delicate feeling to these things for the most part they are tough (except, Grizzlor, Moss Man, Goddess & Snout Spout), I bought my son his first He-Man when he turned 2, he is still playing with it, it's still in one piece aside from the joints being a little looser, but not that bad considering it's been a year now, and he's played with it so many times. I also gave him my extra Demo Man, and he is doing well too. He also has Transformer Rescue Bots & a few Iron Man 4 & 6" figures, and the DCU Green Lantern that came with the TRU Zodac.
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor