Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Opened my first MOTU Classic...Shokingly disappointed :-0

Opened my first MOTU Classic...Shockingly disappointed :-0

I've been collecting since 2009 off and on depending how bills flow. I probably have around 30+ figs. Since I can only afford 1 of each, I've never opened them. The MOC collector in me likes how they come in a special white mailer box. Recently I bought He-man and Battle cat for the first time in the Party Pack sale...What a great deal Btw. So when they showed up yesterday my 3 year old daughter was asking to open them. I kinda had it in my head that since I got such a great deal I'd open them when they arrived anyways. Plus, I wanted to share with my daughter the toys that daddy played with so we shot about a 20 min video of me trying to open the package carefully without destroying them.

Off the bat I thought how ridiculously over packaged these guys were. There is just no need for all the ties. Especially since they all sit in a vaccuform cradles. If they wanted to assure no pieces moved around it would be better to move to a full clam shell.

After I wrestled the figs out of the package I soon then noticed the warped loose joints around the ankles and knees. Battle Cat's legs are especially a mess. Since these are the first MOTUC i opened I have nothing to compare too. I think some of this has been improved with the new ankle joints. But still I noticed the plastic must be loaded with filler. It seems too soft and prone to warpage.

I use to work as a moldmaker and lab technician in many special effects houses doing model kits. Filler is often used to extend the quantity of plastic. The result is a lighter, softer casting. Warpage occurs in the demolding process when the plastic stretches and bends.

I'm also disappointed in the paint applications. For some reason my Battle Cat has a white spot on his foot. As if some paint from another toy spurted on it as the where painting it. I know all the wash effects are used to enhance the detail but the kinda feel to matte and dusty for my taste. It just dosent seem like a toy you could ever really play with or let your kids play with. I know these are collector toys but the paint feels very delicate to me as if the are missing some sort of binder or sealant coat on there paint.

Also Battle Cat's saddle seems too big and an after thought. I heard a rumor the used a stock cat from some other toyline. I have to say BattleCat dosen't wow me at all.

All in All I know understand peoples complaints of quality a bit more clearer now. The rest of my MOTUC will remain on card. I'm now questioning my pre-order for Castle Grayskull, perhaps that will remain in box. I think the price of these toys would feel right if they were cut in half. They just dont feel that right to me in my hand. Its a shame that they are hell bent on this vintage look, They will never duplicate the actual feel of the vintage toy in our hands.
    Last edited by seth-man; October 19, 2012 at 10:11am.

Battlecat doesn't wow you?? that statement wows me. he's sculpted for this line and the saddle out of the package has to be adjusted, once you find the sweet spot it looks great.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Heroic Warrior
    Caverns of Rakash (Formerly of Darksmoke)
    The saddle for Panthor and Battlecat are a pain in the behind. I don't think there is a "sweet spot". This is one thing I have to agree with, the saddles on these figures are just wrong and don't work with the figure the way they should. Otherwise I love my Panthor and Battlecat figs.

I have 10 loose extra & custom figures and almost 40 MOSC, sure I'm astounded by most of the early figures lack of ability to stand up....greatly.... And yeah, my sons "Essentials" He-Man (I bought it back in Jan....I think) has a bit o' gum in his boots, but my son has relentlessly played with him for almost a year....has never pulled him apart or broken him. I was kind of disappointed by my extra Horde Prime's gummy biceps, kind of felt like I could pull them right off the shoulders....but he is fine, I bought him to paint up anyway.

Most of the 10 figures I have as extra or customs, had loose ankles before I started with them....even as recent as Kobra Khan....my TRU Stratos & Zodac have somewhat loose heads, no where near bobble effect, but loose, my Mo-Larr Skeletor has loose knees, ankles and elbows....all have been fixed by the boil and pop method....Faker, Khan, MAA, my sons He-Man....all had loose ankles....also fixed....should we have to? Hell no....but I know most of the issues on the newer figures are resolved....not all, but most....even though now we have to contend with the stupid ass painted figures now....which ****** me off more than loose joints, because loose joints can be fixed, peeling and chipping paint....not so much, at least without looking like crap....which I would open all my figures should I get the inkling to do, all except the new painted ones....those unfortunately, will permanently remain sealed.

As far as packaging, you want over packaged....look at most of the Transformers....way too much. MOTUC is not over packaged, rubber bands are easy to cut, and they don't show up MOSC, sure with the snug fit of the blister inserts they don't absolutely need the bands, but I have a 1st edition BA Skeletor that has none, and I had to slap the card back flat on the desk to get him back into his cradle....I for one can appreciate the rubber bands.

For us MOSC collectors, if we don't open them....who cares anyway?

All I can say is, don't be too disappointed, most of these things are in really great shape despite a few flaws....there are some though, I wouldn't buy if they cost $1 each....Goddess, Snout Spout....simply because I'd know I was buying a for sure potentially defective figure....and that's not happening....and I say that because you don't know what part of the run your Goddess is from, and over half I would say of SS's have rotted.

My extra TP He-Man is one of the best figures I have opened from MOTUC....Khan was fine except his ankles, Horde Prime is fine, just his shoulders feel a little gummy. I am not a proponent of Mattel by no means, nor am I saying your opinion is wrong, I am saying you have only opened 2 MOTUC, and by now (you know injection molding, so do I, molds degrade) they have both been molded to death....

And as I said, my sons He-Man feels a bit gummy in the calves and boots, and has loose ankles, but nothing has broken, and honestly, with all his play, nothing is much looser than it was almost a year ago, and, he can still stand for the most part.

But as far as Battle Cat goes, I am impressed, as am I with Panthor & Swiftwind....but my Swiftwind has all 4 correct legs, and as far as the wings....yeah, I'm sure I'd be ****** if I opened him, and those wings give me the popping out issues, or even break.
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Hm...well, sorry to hear it, but don't base too much on a couple figures. Honestly there hasn't been a warp yet that I couldn't fix with a little hot water. On top of that, there have been so few warps for me, which is strange, considering how awkwardly they like the package these guys (in poses, I mean). Worst case scenario they put weapons in thier hands, which stretches out the hand and makes them unable to hold things properly, but once again, the hot water trick usually fixes that.

So far I'm still able to root through my collection, pull out a figure, and continue to be amazed by each one. They're all fun to play with, and I honestly haven't had all the problems that are supposed to be running rampant through this toyline.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Draego-Man View Post
    The saddle for Panthor and Battlecat are a pain in the behind. I don't think there is a "sweet spot". This is one thing I have to agree with, the saddles on these figures are just wrong and don't work with the figure the way they should. Otherwise I love my Panthor and Battlecat figs.
    I got mine on, with some struggle but the spot i fastened it is perfect, I had to do it to both BC and panthor but the saddles fit perfect and they look great on them. i won't lie you REALLY have to pull those straps to fasten them, but once you do it's tight and looks amazing.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

There are lots of problems with this line.

However, I've collected it since the very beginning & all of my figures stand with no trouble. I've never had floppy ankles.

There have been one or two other problems, but I was able to fix them.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Battlecat doesn't "wow" someone? I have to agree with krosfyah and say that statement wows me. The sculpt was created for MotU, and I think LATER used for another line. Not the other way around. It sucks about the white on the bottom of his paw…but the sculpt is amazing. There is in fact a sweet spot with the saddle. I got mine on BC and it's stayed in place ever since.
    Last edited by chuc98; October 19, 2012 at 12:09pm.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Heroic Warrior
    There are two kinds of toy collectors, MOC and people who open and play with them. You sir are the primer.

Heroic Warrior
    Caverns of Rakash (Formerly of Darksmoke)
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    I got mine on, with some struggle but the spot i fastened it is perfect, I had to do it to both BC and panthor but the saddles fit perfect and they look great on them. i won't lie you REALLY have to pull those straps to fasten them, but once you do it's tight and looks amazing.
    Never tried to pull too hard. I was always worried about the strap breaking.

wow.. really? I have MOTUC Battle Cat as one - if not the - best action figure ever made. If I made a list, he'd be top 5 for sure. Along with Jetfire, G1 Optimus Prime and RAH Storm Shadow..
    Check out my blog about toys and food: http://toysandbacon.blogspot.com/

Interestingly the original Battle Cat was from another toyline -Big Jim!
    MOTUC: What we need NOW:
    KARG, Eldor, Horde Troopers, NA Skeletor, Sagitar

I'm sorry you had a problem--but from day 1 I have LOVED my Battlecat figure--and still do I was looking at him on my display last night (+ panthor) and the wow factor still hasn't left me

Love my Battle Cat. A few joints are loser than I'd like, but I still love him.

Heroic Warrior
    I haven't seen reissue BC. I bought a reissue He-Man when they first went on sale in, what? 2010? It wouldn't surprise me if recently produced remakes are lower quality. You can tell they've had to cut corners with the 2012 figures to keep costs down. It's unfortunate if that spills over into reissues.

master of hiphop
    I read the title to this thread and could only say to myself NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

sorry it's the MOCer coming out in me
    Download!! 25% goes to help the ORG!!!!!
    http://theimpressionistz.bandcamp.co...ame-back-clean
    AGE FEEDBACK: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=128035
    album photos lots more to come: check out my profile
    my want list: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=148549
    Collection PICS:http://www.crazycollectors.de/age.html

Sitting high upon the Eternian porcelain throne.
    I have a "First run" He-Man and Battlecat, as well as the new Party Pack of each. Seriously, the new BC and He-Man are NOT THE SAME. They do somehow feel "cheaper". Also, my Party Pack BC was a MESS when I got him. Armor almost completely off, and the legs were all jacked (the right front had even popped off, but thankfully I was able to easily fix it.

I have noticed the same thing with the "always available" Skeletor too. He is somehow "cheaper" feeling than the first runs.

I've rarely had any quality problems with my figures. Any problem would have to be REALLY bad for me to buy the toys just to leave them packaged up in their boxes though. Seems pointless buying them if you don't like them enough to open up.

I've seen some horror stories before about the quality of the figures. I have been buying 2 of each fig...one to keep in box and one to open. I personally have never had any problems with any of the figs. Maybe ive just been real lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Fug-Lee-Faces View Post
    I have a "First run" He-Man and Battlecat, as well as the new Party Pack of each. Seriously, the new BC and He-Man are NOT THE SAME. They do somehow feel "cheaper". Also, my Party Pack BC was a MESS when I got him. Armor almost completely off, and the legs were all jacked (the right front had even popped off, but thankfully I was able to easily fix it.

I have noticed the same thing with the "always available" Skeletor too. He is somehow "cheaper" feeling than the first runs.
    I find it hard to believe that all the "essentials" He-Man & Skeletor are left over sock....they have been selling for the last year, plus Skeletor was on sale in December as well....Battle Cat was available at BF/CM & now all year....plus both BC & HM had a nice sale just the 12th....plus they have been discounted on other various sales this year....I mean really....

The only way the quality can go down (ergo changing materials or the plastic formulas) from the last few re-issues to the ones in the "essentials" is that they did or are doing new runs....I know for a fact that the last few re-issues of He-Man had nice hard feeling plastic, unlike the "essentials" ones that are being sold, I have had a few He-Man figures in my hands since I got into this last year....the Essentials He-Man feels gummy in comparison....I do also know a lot of the newer figures feel softer in comparison to the older ones, which also leads me to this conclusion.

Just a theory, but I do know that the essentials He-Man is gummier than previous releases....

However I do know for a fact that say Hordak, is leftover stock, I ordered one to finish my Filmation Hordak, and I recieved a first run, no burst Hordak, without a mailer.

Also from July 2011 I bought my first MOTUC, a He-Man, and he is from the higher glued hair batch, that I have heard of....and he was nice and solid in feel....I since bought another He-Man, like the next month before he sold back out, and also had the higher glued hair problem, but not enough to complain. And those were from the July 2011 lot that was sold as re-issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodster6 View Post
    I've rarely had any quality problems with my figures. Any problem would have to be REALLY bad for me to buy the toys just to leave them packaged up in their boxes though. Seems pointless buying them if you don't like them enough to open up.
    I like my MOTUC, I don't open mine because I choose not to, the only ones I wouldn't open should I ever choose to start, are the ones from Spikor on, until (if ever) the black plastic stops. But my eyes love the visual appeal of them all in the same packages together in my display room. I have 11 loose extras & customs....that's all the open ones I need.

And also fortunately I have had very very minor issues with my figures, not enough to complain.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; October 19, 2012 at 01:46pm.
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

I too have had an issue with my Battlecat. I recently opened all of my collection to display since I had nowhere to display them, but I have moved into a bigger house with a "mancave" bulit in the garage. Anyway, my BC's head does not stay up and is very loose right out of the package! I have to tie one of those clear plastic rubber bands that he came with from his head to his saddle just to hold his head up! The sculpt however does not disappoint. Also, I did not believe the issue about Roboto's chest cracking that people on here where experiencing until it happened to me! He is straight out of the package. I posed him for display and the next day, there was a freaking crack on his chest!! I mean really? One day out of the package?

Does anyone here collect Mattel's WWE figs. I'd be curious to do a side be side quality comparison, Focusing on the plastic and joints.

Quote Originally Posted by Fug-Lee-Faces View Post
    Also, my Party Pack BC was a MESS when I got him. Armor almost completely off, and the legs were all jacked (the right front had even popped off, but thankfully I was able to easily fix it.
    I had EXACTLY the same issue with mine, it was almost as if someone threw BC in his box and couldn't care less how he looked (glad I wasn't planning on keeping him mint in box). He also had some glue residue on his cheek that I've been trying to pick off ever since I noticed it (seems they were sloppy when gluing his top teeth in).

I never pulled the trigger on buying BC before the party pak came along and have to say that, other than the minor issues above, I think he is a great figure (definitely worth the $18 I paid).

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumFist View Post
    I too have had an issue with my Battlecat. I recently opened all of my collection to display since I had nowhere to display them, but I have moved into a bigger house with a "mancave" bulit in the garage. Anyway, my BC's head does not stay up and is very loose right out of the package! I have to tie one of those clear plastic rubber bands that he came with from his head to his saddle just to hold his head up! The sculpt however does not disappoint. Also, I did not believe the issue about Roboto's chest cracking that people on here where experiencing until it happened to me! He is straight out of the package. I posed him for display and the next day, there was a freaking crack on his chest!! I mean really? One day out of the package?
    the loose neck was a standard complaint, many people wraped the rubber band around the neck, inside the joint, it keeps it moveable and makes the joint tighter, i've done this with ankles. it's a great fix cleann and easy

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    the loose neck was a standard complaint, many people wraped the rubber band around the neck, inside the joint, it keeps it moveable and makes the joint tighter, i've done this with ankles. it's a great fix cleann and easy
    Thanks for the tip! I will give it a try.