Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Opened my first MOTU Classic...Shokingly disappointed :-0

My Battlecat had a really loose neck to body joint. The saddle is not perfect but I think it is ok for what kind of articulation that is under it. And He-man's ankles are awful. My second release King Grayskull also has loose ankles.
    Lipster Heroic Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Fug-Lee-Faces View Post
    I have a "First run" He-Man and Battlecat, as well as the new Party Pack of each. Seriously, the new BC and He-Man are NOT THE SAME. They do somehow feel "cheaper". Also, my Party Pack BC was a MESS when I got him. Armor almost completely off, and the legs were all jacked (the right front had even popped off, but thankfully I was able to easily fix it.

I have noticed the same thing with the "always available" Skeletor too. He is somehow "cheaper" feeling than the first runs.
    Odd, since Scott mentioned that they've not gone back into production on Battle Cat. I know they did with He-man to correct the egregious 'eye shadow' and yellowing on the face, but I believe BC has been the same version throughout.
    Harken the coming of Dragstor!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stygian360 View Post
    Odd, since Scott mentioned that they've not gone back into production on Battle Cat. I know they did with He-man to correct the egregious 'eye shadow' and yellowing on the face, but I believe BC has been the same version throughout.
    The original He-Man had the flu eyes....later runs were fixed, but he and Battle Cat had a few different runs before they said no more....therefore the more He-Men they made, the worse the figures became....just because he's not being run anymore doesn't mean the last run can't have more flaws than the first....molds degrade, plastic recipes change...etc....

Battle Cat has been the same, but with each subsequent run a mold can decay and tightness issues come up, it happens all the time, look at the Classics Seeker molds from Transformers....Battle Cat has likely had 2 or 3 runs if not more before they stopped production....but how many were made each time? enough to build up stock, the molds deform and it's highly unlikely that they would shell out more money to replace them, so they will run them until they can't use them anymore.

I know my Mo-Larr Skeletor is looser than the original Skeletor, and the "Essentials" Skelly is looser than that....

Figures like Hordak & She-Ra who have had lesser runs are hodling up much better, and old stock is truly mixed in with them, because I just recieved a first edition Hordak without a mailer....from Matty. You will likely not ever receive a first edition He-Man of Skeletor from Matty, the reruns have been that many.
    Recent....Eldor
    Coming....Arrow, Tung Lashor & Bow
    Wanted....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

I have a second release He-Man that is exceptionally well done. I opened my party pack shipment and all 3 of the new ones are super glossy and have slightly sloppy paint apps on the eyes and eyebrows. One of them is literally doing the people's eyebrow circa 1999. The one I opened as a spare had terrible ankle joints and a lazy eye. Seeing him next to the older one is astounding. The new one is a lot darker and his shine is awful. I'm just glad he's a spare. The BC i opened is actually a little better than my older one tho and his neck is a little tighter. If new customers grabbed figures of this quality, I truly think they'd not purchase anymore.

Impin' Ain't Easy! DreamTripper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chuc98 View Post
    Battlecat doesn't "wow" someone? I have to agree with krosfyah and say that statement wows me. The sculpt was created for MotU, and I think LATER used for another line...
    I have to agree with the people who think BC is one of the greatest action figures ever made. But what other line was the sculpt used for? I would love to have it.

Support Bili the Droid
    It's GrAyskull. It's posted all over the packaging and this site.
    CANON-the body of rules, principles, or standards accepted as axiomatic and universally binding in a field of study or art, such as a storyline
    CANNON-a mounted gun for firing heavy projectiles; a gun, howitzer, or mortar.

Imp is here!
    I will change my avatar as soon as Songster is made in MOTUC

Quote Originally Posted by DreamTripper View Post
    I have to agree with the people who think BC is one of the greatest action figures ever made. But what other line was the sculpt used for? I would love to have it.
    they used the mold for Max Steele, they cut out some articulation gave him sabre teeth and changed the paints

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...Max-Steel-pack!
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Fug-Lee-Faces View Post
    I have a "First run" He-Man and Battlecat, as well as the new Party Pack of each. Seriously, the new BC and He-Man are NOT THE SAME. They do somehow feel "cheaper". Also, my Party Pack BC was a MESS when I got him. Armor almost completely off, and the legs were all jacked (the right front had even popped off, but thankfully I was able to easily fix it.

I have noticed the same thing with the "always available" Skeletor too. He is somehow "cheaper" feeling than the first runs.
    That is correct.

I have every MOTUC figure now (after this months sale where I got BA He-man to complete my collection) and I have opened every one (I only care about vintage toys MOC - I think MOTUC actually looks pretty poor on card as you cannot see much of the contents). This includes : 1st editions of He-man and Skeletor, reissues of both, and ones from TRU packs, etc.

There is a *marked* difference between the first editions and the later ones. I mean, one just has to hold them in your hands - you can feel the quality, weight, and texture of the plastic has drastically changed. The first He-man and Skeletor are what I would expect out of a modern collector line of toys - whereas now they generally use cheapy-cheapo plastic (and now, blastic), which feels very mass-market cheap.

It was a gradual change at the beginning - I just opened BA He-man (my first) and he is rather quality feeling. You can tell he's from early in the line. Most new figures feel cheap when compared to the first few, anyone who has held one can tell you the difference - in weight, texture, and just overall "feel".

Heroic Warrior
    Caverns of Rakash (Formerly of Darksmoke)
    Quote Originally Posted by EtherianChronicles View Post
    That is correct.

I have every MOTUC figure now (after this months sale where I got BA He-man to complete my collection) and I have opened every one (I only care about vintage toys MOC - I think MOTUC actually looks pretty poor on card as you cannot see much of the contents). This includes : 1st editions of He-man and Skeletor, reissues of both, and ones from TRU packs, etc.

There is a *marked* difference between the first editions and the later ones. I mean, one just has to hold them in your hands - you can feel the quality, weight, and texture of the plastic has drastically changed. The first He-man and Skeletor are what I would expect out of a modern collector line of toys - whereas now they generally use cheapy-cheapo plastic (and now, blastic), which feels very mass-market cheap.

It was a gradual change at the beginning - I just opened BA He-man (my first) and he is rather quality feeling. You can tell he's from early in the line. Most new figures feel cheap when compared to the first few, anyone who has held one can tell you the difference - in weight, texture, and just overall "feel".
    Agree with this 100%.

Holding DB Skeletor and TP He-Man even feels different. But holding a Snake Man versus Mer Man is really profound.

Quote Originally Posted by EtherianChronicles View Post
    That is correct.

I actually think all my MOTUC look great carded, I can see everything when I pick up them up to look at them, and I for one am glad the figure is front and center for the most part instead of being covered with accessories....The only ones I have issue with, but it's a small issue is Draego-Man & Horde Prime, and Horde Prime simply because my carded one is not snapped in right, and his armor is skewed, But that is simply due to not having patience to wait until I had both HP's in hand before deciding to open the first one I got. Otherwise I love looking at mine in the ZW cases hanging or sitting on my shelves. I'm 50/50 on Ram Man having the Orko card, but at least he's not crammed in, and Orko now has a mate card size wise, now I can have symmetry with him and Rammy.

But yes I do agree and pointed out as well that the older figures are much more solid than the new ones, despite their previous flaws. But my TP He-Man extra is nice and tight, and heavy, the best of my 10 figures I opened as extras for display or to customize actually, because even Khan had really loose ankles, before he became my Khan 2.0 custom. MAA was second & Horde Prime a 3rd....then Faker, my Mo-Larr Skeletor was the worst for loosnes, and my TRU Zodac is a little warped in the boots, and TRU Stratos has a looser head and knees. But compared to Khan's loose ankles, at least they could stand well.
    Recent....Eldor
    Wanted....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Evil & armed for combat TJRules's Avatar
    I don't have BC MOC, and probably never will. I bought him to open him. Cuz I love him, of course.

But I have to say that upon opening him from the mailer, I was very disappointed. So if I was a MOC collector, I would've been a little disappointed. His mask was sideways a little, and was off center. His back feet were pointing straight up in the air, which is completely impossible physically. And yes, he had a TON of ties and cardboard in there. But it was those feet that got me... if anyone has any pics of his feet that are pointing straight up in package, you should post them. It's quite gross, really.
    Support Green Mini-Comic Trap Jaw in MOTUC!

Land Shark in MOTUC!!!!!! Do it Mattel!!! Do it NOW!!!!

Support The Power & Honor Foundation

Power-Con/ThunderCon

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    I got mine on, with some struggle but the spot i fastened it is perfect, I had to do it to both BC and panthor but the saddles fit perfect and they look great on them. i won't lie you REALLY have to pull those straps to fasten them, but once you do it's tight and looks amazing.
    Thanks for the tips about the neck joint (using the clear bands), I think it helped some! But in regards to the saddle, it is a pain. I too am worried about breaking the saddle strap. Would you advise using a hair dryer and heating the strap a bit before putting it on? Thanks in advance!

OOOOOoo!!! Slide down the slippery slope... soon they shall ALL be open an posed an custom displayed... lol

Well, curious as to how to tackle the Battle Cat strap. Will try to heat it up soon. That'll probably do the trick.

And my first new MOC figs were He-Man and BC from the party-pack! I have left them MOC, but I saw a bunch of feedback from people regarding BC, so I figured I better open mine now, so Matty/DR could help me if there was a big issue....

He-Man, no major issues. Pretty good overall. Some tiny orange and green dots on his skin near the gauntlet, the hinges on the ball joints are a lighter flesh tone, and the swivel part on his ankles (the ones that move left to right) are loose. Actually my biggest issue was with the half power sword. I wanted to remove it while leaving the bubble in tact. Well, I tried bending the sword some, thinking it was soft and had some give. Bad idea! It left a plastic bend mark/burn. By that point I just cut the plastic. Kinda bummed, may try painting over the front of the sword to cover it up.

Battle Cat
    took a while to unpack, but better over packaged than under packaged! His helmet was wonky while in the box, and that resulted in a wonky helmet out of the box! It's shape is no longer symetrical and the top horns are now bent off to the left side. Kinda sucky. The harness strap does not fit. I have tried some with fair effort. Will try heating it soon. The main neck joint was pretty loose (looks like a common issue) but I read some advice and used about 4-5 of the clear bands to wrap around the joint and tighten it up. Seems much better.

Overall, I'd say an ok experience. Glad my BC's legs did fall apart or break off like other people's!!!

After opening 95% of mine....I found that about 16 figures out of 45 had more noticeable, or annoying issues, Battle Cat however, is a re-issue, resold last October I believe....and is actually perfectly tight, a first edition Panthor however had a loose ab section....but not enough to matter.

One thing that really bugs me the figures with the long furries, have issues posing, the loin cloth is too hard, Rattlor's is just perfect, since it's not the same one.

1st edition Keldor couldn't stand due to seriously loose feet, both of them....
    Teela has a deformed peg hole on one arm, and due to that her elbow is loose, and her heads sit too high on the peg, and her wrist was deformed by package
    July 2011 All-Star Sale He-Man, loose ankles, and his hair was too high
    1st edition She-Ra, hair too high on her Filmation styled head, and loose joints
    Re-issue Beast Man had all loose joints in his legs and feet
    Man-E-Faces has loose shoulders
    Frosta, loose knee, reversed forearms.
    Draego-Man's head pops off the socket is too big or not deep enough, the feet are looser, and the knees are looser
    Tri-Klops has loose feet and knees
    Mo-Larr Skeletor had loose knees, ankles and an elbow
    TRU Stratos has loose ankles and knees
    Re-issue Trap Jaw #1 had a reversed foot, making his calf backwards....
    BP She-Ra, head too high on peg, and a few loose joints
    Re-issue Faker #1, loose ankles, and knees
    Re-issue Skeletor had a bent leg
    1st Edition Mer-Man, looser joints, not major, but still notable

Some figures had a few paint issues, not serious....
    BA Skeletor has sloppy purple paint on the black bands of the armor....for example....
    And oddly enough, none (so far) of the Blastic figures I own aside from the MOSC Spikor....are just fine, maybe a pin hole where a spec under the paint that was painted over came off, and Rattlor has a few small spots that were not painted enough.

Perfect figures were
    Swiftwind
    Battle Cat (r)
    Prince Adam / Orko
    SMAA (sdcc)
    Mekaneck
    Rattlor
    DB Skeletor
    MAA (r)
    Sy-Klone (r)
    BA He-Man
    Faker (r) #2
    TP He-Man
    TRU Zodac

Still MOSC
    Shadow Weaver
    Stinkor (but has purposely (by Mattel design) reversed forearms)
    Trap Jaw (r) #2
    Spikor

Other figures not listed were OK, but had minor issues not worth complaining about, nor were the figures perfect....
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; November 18, 2012 at 01:58pm.
    Recent....Eldor
    Wanted....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Is this thread about quality issues or the fact that people are comparing MOTUC to their perfect childhood memories?

Quote Originally Posted by Atomicdios View Post
    Is this thread about quality issues or the fact that people are comparing MOTUC to their perfect childhood memories?
    Where do you get that?

I don't see anyone comparing MOTUC to memories of MOTU, unless you count how the Vintage Snout Spouts still have trunks after 30 years, and the Classics Snout Spouts trunk decayed after 30 days....then yeah....
    Recent....Eldor
    Wanted....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    Quote Originally Posted by RUNgZ View Post
    There are two kinds of toy collectors, MOC and people who open and play with them. You sir are the primer.
    Correction, there are THREE kinds of collectors. The two that you mentioned, plus the kind that buys TWO!: One to keep MOC and one to open!!! (I am the third type because I love toys, but I also love collecting, much to the chagrin of my wife. I do this with EVERY toy line I collect!)
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Heroic Warrior
    Sorry seth-man.

'Really can't take this thread seriously. Anyone that opens a toy and complains about the number of twist ties sounds like someone that's already set their mind to being negative. Friendly advice: never again open another action figure of any kind. Odds are you will always be disappointed.
    Last edited by Colder Soldier; November 18, 2012 at 03:41am.

Come from the land of the ice and snow...
    Quote Originally Posted by Colder Soldier View Post
    Sorry seth-man.

'Really can't take this thread seriously. Anyone that opens a toy and complains about the number of twist ties sounds like someone that's already set their mind to being negative. Friendly advice: never again open another action figure of any kind. Odds are you will always be disappointed.
    Yeah... what that guy said pretty much nailed it.

The ties in MOTUC are annoying but no where near as bad as they used to be in Transformers till they started using paper string. Not that it's ever been so bad it's made me not want to open a product i've brought.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    After opening 95% of mine....I found that about 16 figures out of 45 had more noticeable, or annoying issues, Battle Cat however, is a re-issue, resold last October I believe....and is actually perfectly tight, a first edition Panthor however had a loose ab section....but not enough to matter.

One thing that really bugs me the figures with the long furries, have issues posing, the loin cloth is too hard, Rattlor's is just perfect, since it's not the same one....
    Thanks Shadow! That list is a good breakdown, helpful for the MOTUC noob like myself!

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterio View Post
    Thanks Shadow! That list is a good breakdown, helpful for the MOTUC noob like myself!
    I forgot to add that Stinkor while mine is still MOSC due to his odor....his forearms are reveresed by Mattel....in an attempt to....make him POP....so his of all figures with reversed limbs, is not an accident, but however his is the hardest to fix because of the white stripe needing to be removed and re-painted on the other side of the forearm.
    Recent....Eldor
    Wanted....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Heroic Warrior
    I think this whole experience was based upon way to high expectations.
    Seeing the background where you have kept everything MOC and probably only seen pictures of the figures online you made it up in your mind for them to be perfect. Nothing is perfect, things that are mass produced have plenty of flaws, especially something as fragile as a collectible figure. Quality will range quite wildly as well.
    Sucks that it didn't live up to your expectations, but do with the collection as you want and what makes you happy, that's whats important. For me, an unopened figure kind of defeats the point, but then again I have never been a MOC collector so I am biased. But as a point to make, that does make my experience with figures vast, and will give me expectations that are realistic.
    Fabulous secret powers revealed

Heroic Warrior
    MOTUC are some of the least packaged figures I collect. Snip the couple of elastics and pop out the figure...done.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    There are lots of problems with this line.

However, I've collected it since the very beginning & all of my figures stand with no trouble. I've never had floppy ankles.
    Then you should've been playing the lottery. I didn't have a single figure that could stand on their own two feet (or explode) after Scare Glow (November 2009) until Vikor (Jan 2011). Including a re-issue Skeletor who had feet so loose they rattled when you picked the figure up and a Marzo who did the superman when you lifted the figure up; with his toes immediately pointing straight down once there wasn't something under them.

Personally the only way I could get the saddles right on Panthor and BC was to remove the saddle, reposition it to where it was right and then strap it back on, really putting those straps on tight across the underside of the figure. Once that was done, the saddle was fine.
    Matty, Great Black Wizard figure please!