Thread: "Make An Offer" On E-Bay Question

"Make An Offer" On E-Bay Question

You know I have bought & sold on E-Bay and have to ask this stupid question let's say you have an item for $50 with a BIN or an offer set up.

Now me personally if you will only knock off $1-2 on this item that seems like a waste of time because offers are usually "reasonable" and normal.

I used to be more flexible by being reasonable but $1-2 is a joke why even list it when ever offer & counter offer is a joke I see this alot of MOTUC figures that are going for $40 + shipping so you stand to make $10 or more and more than $2 will not happen?

I never get that what kind of deal are you actually getting?? Reasonable offer is that "reasonable" not $1-2 only.......
    Last edited by Megalodon; October 7, 2013 at 08:05pm. Reason: Typo

I think it's to create the illusion they are willing to be talked down. My mom has dealt with those types, she makes an offer half the price they are asking then the take off dollar or fifty cents from their asking price.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    I think it's to create the illusion they are willing to be talked down. My mom has dealt with those types, she makes an offer half the price they are asking then the take off dollar or fifty cents from their asking price.
    its kinda the same thing at a yard sale or flea market. the seller probley has double his asking price on a item so that way he's haggled down to what he wants for it anyways.so using this logic you sometimes can get it for little more then half the asking price.

but sertainly not in all cases, as when the seller says the price is firm.

Usually when I put up a "Best Offer" auction, I have a price in mind I want to sell at, and make the "Buy it Now" price a little higher than that. Also, if something has been sitting for a while, I'm more open to offers.

But, yeah, sometimes you have to wonder as to why people even bother listing their stuff as "best offer" when they (at most) will knock off 50 cents.
    Hey, if you want to wallow in the negative, go nuts. Sure, things aren’t absolutely perfect, and people passionate about a property can get all keyed up about things. But I don’t collect toys to be miserable. So I’d rather think about the things that do excite me
    http://thefwoosh.com/2014/06/masters...beyond-vintage

Yeah, I think some sellers do not understand the point of this feature or how to use it well. It's only frustrating to people if you don't use it correctly. I had one the other day where I have no clue what they would have accepted because they were auto-denying everything, including ONE DOLLAR LESS than the asking price! LOL.

I hate that stupid thing. Once I offered $37 on an item the guy was selling for 39.95. Denied. Offered another guy 70 on a 74.99 item. No dice.

Why use it if you don't want to go lower than your Buy It Now price? Darn teases.
    Classics TGR figures should be Filmation-based, but they NEED MORE COWBELL!

Heroic Warrior
    On the flip side I auction a lot of stuff and quit often put a "Best Offer" option. It never fails that you get some goofball offering 25% of what you are selling it for. This past week I put a bunch of Masterpiece Transformers up with "Best Offer". I always set my prices based on overall previous sales so they start out fair to begin with. I must have had 20 offers at 33% or less of my beginning price. I wouldn't even Counteroffer those guys.

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    The one time I made an offer, the counter-offered a price that took $1.25 off.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear-at-Arms View Post
    On the flip side I auction a lot of stuff and quit often put a "Best Offer" option. It never fails that you get some goofball offering 25% of what you are selling it for. This past week I put a bunch of Masterpiece Transformers up with "Best Offer". I always set my prices based on overall previous sales so they start out fair to begin with. I must have had 20 offers at 33% or less of my beginning price. I wouldn't even Counteroffer those guys.
    Same here. I have got to the point where I won't even put best offer on my listings anymore because I keep getting ridiculous lowball offers. For example, I will list an item that sells for around $100 and get $10-$15 offers. What a joke.
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

I've never been able to get a "make an offer" deal to work - from either end. As a buyer, most OBO listings I've run into require your offer to be 95%+ of the listing price or they auto-reject the offer. As a seller, I've only ever gotten ridiculously low offers. Even with an auto-reject set at 75% of the listing price, I still got messages saying "Would you take $40 total for this thing that currently sells on eBay for $90-100 + shipping???"

Heroic Warrior
    One more thing to keep in mind is that if the listing is new sellers may take their chances that a better offer may come along. My BUy-it-nows last for 30 days because I have a store on ebay. Just for an example I listed a Masterpiece Red Alert for $125.00. Within a day I had 4 offers with the best one being for $88.00. I have 48 hours to accept, reject, or counter. I held off on doing anything. 36 hours later somebody paid full price without even making an offer.
    The bottom line is if I have 30 days to sell an item I don't want to jump the gun and lose potential profit.

I made some offers on some Centurions parts for Ace McCloud and Skybolt. I think my offers for the parts were at about 50% of what he was asking and they were all accepted. I had Ace McCloud missing 1 part and Skybolt missing 3 parts in my collection for well over 15 years. It was bitter sweet to finally complete them.

Not ebay, but another "make me an offer" story. A comic shop got in a bunch of Transformers. They were all in good shape accept for Ratchet. The main Ratchet robot and the trailer was there but no other parts were present. He was completely YELLOW. The guy says, "make me an offer." So I offered $10. He actually responded by laughing at me and said, "Not a chance. Ratchet is worth about $300 in the box." I responded with, "Actually, Ratchet is worth about $200 in the box. But he doesn't have the box so what in the world does his boxed price matter. The figure is loose, incomplete, and solid yellow." I don't recall ever going back to that comic shop.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Well, I've had about 75% of the Best Offer deals I've done (as a buyer) go through. True, there are some sellers that won't budge more than a dollar so I don't waste my time. But for the most part, if a seller is willing to work with me then I'll work with them as well. Also, it helps that I don't try to low-ball anyone and only best offer items that are more or less reasonable priced. If there is someone selling a $100 item at $1000, then I won't even bother with a best offer. If someone has a $100 item, I'll offer $80. If they come down $5, I'll raise $5-$10. If they only come down $1-$2 then I won't counteroffer. So far I've mostly had good runs on my Best Offers.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Master of New Adventures!
    While I'm not a toy collector, I've bought more than a few things on eBay over the years and actually a pretty good number of Make an Offer items. It's been my experience -- and this is just me talking -- that many, although not all, that list Make an Offer think that a reasonable offer is within 10% to 20% off the asking price. What I've also found is that it frequently depends on how much time is left and how many bids there have been. If a lister only has four hours left to go and has to leave for work and has only had a couple of low bids, they're much more likely to feel 20% off their asking price is a "reasonable offer". For many it beats not selling the item and having to start all over again. Even better deals can sometimes be made in the last hour or so an item is listed.

By the way, disregard anything BJH says about it being difficult for him to buy on Make an Offer deals as the cost of shipping goods to The Underworld is prohibitive, as is the cost of insurance to guarantee that demon postal workers at Benny's post offices don't rip the packages apart in the frenzied madness that permeates the realm.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; October 7, 2013 at 05:56pm.

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    It could be worse- you could be stuck selling on a forum with no eBay. Stuff that would sell quick on eBay takes days, weeks or even months to sell, you will get AT BEST 50% of eBay value(more like 30% on most goods), and some people can be outright cheap with their lowball offers. Ebay is still the better sales option.

Widget
    I agree that Ebay is the fastest way to sell an item, but I usually make much better money off of items selling locally or through forums when I am not in a rush to sell. By the time Ebay takes their cut of the final value, the shipping, and their Paypal %, it drastically cuts into profits. Especially when the items are of a low value to begin with. The shipping fee is especially harsh when trying to ship from Canada.

Now to those that are changing the thread from $1.25 off to an item that goes for $100 then getting offered $40 is a different story I'm not talking about that

Here's one I JUST had:

Offer price: $39.50
    Buy It Now price:
    $42.50Buy It Now

Offer expires: Oct-09-13 08:53:10 PDT
    Seller Terms: $2?? I've come down $2.50 already and my price is already the lowest on ebay. i'm not getting close to $50 if i'm selling it for $40 or whatever. Plus ebay and paypal with take 15% of what it sells for. Don't beat me down on the price. Thank yo
    And he lies because on this certain item he WASN'T the lowest I offered him $39 and he gave me this...And like I said I buy and sell on E-Bay for the past 12 years and I see too many people buying stuff just to turn in fast for the highest price on E-Bay........

Plus he lied about not selling it for $50 when his shipping is $8.95...............

I just find this funny....
    Last edited by Megalodon; October 8, 2013 at 03:26pm.

i tried to buy An motu figure before with the best offer deal and what the seller went down to was STUPID!

figure was $150, so i chipped in and placed $125, nope.. then tried $130, nope, then $140, NOPE

then $145, NOPE

its $2 off... REALLY??????

so many items with that best offer are still around forever.. so dumb imo.

i bought my figure eventually for $65 bucks.. TAKE THAT
    Don't hate me cause ... (I'm Da Man)!

Carlo Hooks you up thread, just click HERE!

Inappropriate Tree Hugger The.Idea.of.Evil's Avatar
    From a sellers stand point, I can see why most "Make an Offer" prices are set so high that it's not really a deal for any buyer. First off, I don't want to give deals as much as I want what my item is worth - I personally look at completed auction prices and set my price according to what has sold before. Second, I put the "Make an Offer" option on my auctions so I can see what it is that a person is willing to pay. Just by giving them an option to set their own price gives me the power to make a deal with them if I want to or not. Third, a lot of people online like to think that they can "outsmart the internet" by throwing out ridiculous offers, like I would set something so low and/or think that I'd be forced to sell it to them against my will if I somehow was caught at such a low price. Plenty of times I've had auctions in the hundreds of dollars and have had people try offering only $10 (ugh).

What I tend to do is set a reasonable price based on the last completed auction. If an item recently sold for $100, and there's no other items of the same kind for sale, I'll raise my price to $125. I'll set the "Make and Offer" price to $110, and that way I can allow people to send me their offers at the very least while still trying to sell the item for a fair price. What usually happens for me is I set a price at $100, someone offers $70, and I counter with the difference between my "Buy-It-Now" price and their "Make an Offer" bid (My $100 minus their $70 equals $30. Cut that in half and add it to their offer, it's fair at $85). A couple of times I've had people think I'm stupid and try and do the math in their favor by making a new offer for a lower price so that I'd make the same counter offer and it coming out to their first offer price (I'll tell them $85 when they wanted $70 instead of $100, so they'll make a new offer of $40 so that I'd offer the difference in price again, but this time it equaling $70).

A seller has to deal with eBay fees and Paypal fees on top of material expenses for shipping (I never send items packed poorly, and I set my shipping prices a little higher so I can buy the materials so that the item(s) aren't damaged). This is why the Make an Offer price, for me, is more of a kindness for buyers to try and make a deal because my prices are genuinely fair after all the fees and bills are said and done.

Just my $0.02

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Only made an offer twice so far on e-bay. One time, denied. The other time, I offered $25 less than the BIN price, and when I went back to check right after that, the auction was closed already. I checked my messages and the offer had been accepted, apparently about 30 seconds after it was received.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    Only made an offer twice so far on e-bay. One time, denied. The other time, I offered $25 less than the BIN price, and when I went back to check right after that, the auction was closed already. I checked my messages and the offer had been accepted, apparently about 30 seconds after it was received.
    A seller can set an automatic option to accept an item at a certain price, or deny it for that matter. I never understood the accept at a certain price option though. Why not just start it there to begin with. I would rather have time to mull it over before I accept it.