View Poll Results: Would you like proper action-features in MOTUC?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. The MOTU Classics line should include everything the vintage line had.

3 5.17%
  • No. MOTU Classics does not need to implement gimmicky action-features for any figure.

32 55.17%
  • Kind of. Only for the figures that would require an action-feature to be made properly.

23 39.66%

Thread: Would you like proper action-features in MOTUC?

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!

Would you like proper action-features in MOTUC?

With the vintage characters quickly drawing to a close, we are in the midst of seeing some of the later figures, who were heavily dependent on their action features, being made. Indeed, some characters almost seem to be built around a specific action feature, like Dragstor and Blast Attak.

With this in mind, would you like it if MOTUC was a line that had implemented action features? Should Mosquitor have liquid-blood in his chest cavity? Should Kobra Kahn squirt water? Should Leech have a suction-cup maw?

The last of the vintage characters are some of the most gimmicky, but also some of the coolest. I can't wait for Dragstor, but I want to know how they're going to pull off his whole "wheel" torso, or Saurod's sparking mouth, or the Laser-Light figures.... you get the idea.

So, let us know what you think. Would you prefer your MOTUC figures with or without action-features? Or maybe you'd like a little of both? Discuss as to why you decided the way you did!
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Even as a child I never liked action features. They get in the way of sculpt and articulation and have ruined many figures over the years. It also used to take me out of my imaginary stories if I stopped to fiddle around with levers and buttons to make someone spin or fire a plastic missile etc.
    Removable limbs is the only 'action feature' I enjoy. I don't even like removable armor most of the time.

I imagine Saurod will have a plastic spark that can be attached to his mouth. Saurod is a favorite of mine but I could live without any spark feature, plastic or otherwise on his mouth.

I'm happier for the most part without them, but I admit I do enjoy the creative way some of the action features have been simulated in the MOTUC line.

As a child I didn't really care for them. Yeah it was cool that Saurod spat sparks out of his mouth, but given the ugly great lever on his back, if I'd had the choice back then I'd have had no sparks and no lever to have a nicer sculpted figure. In classics these toys are much nicer without the action feature.

In the case of Dragstor, I want the wheel to be able to move, but I don't want a rip cord and hole so that it can. The wheel would be able to turn in his chest, but essentially you'd have to push him to make him go.

Blast Attak is a different matter. Definitely no air pump thanks. As much as I would like him to break apart, my thinking is if the Horde Troopers don't explode then why should this guy? Then again, if he broke into smaller portions (more than just two halves) and bits were removable (like Extendar and Trap jaw) he'd be an interesting guy to pose on your self, sort of like a scaled back Modulok in a way.

On the same token, I see no reason why Mantisaur (if he's ever done) could not be constructed with snap together pieces like the original was.

Mattel really should have done him as a collect and connect pack in. But I digress.

As a kid I would get MOTU characters based on what the character looked like, rather than what he could "do" with a gimmicky action figure. So for example, when I got Snout Spout as a kid, it wasn't because of the water squirting function (already had Kobra Khan and he could do that) it was because the guy looked like a robotic elephant and that appealed to me at the time.

As an adult collector, I'm quite glad there's a lack of action features, but I can see that in Classics some representation of it is necessary. For the most part I've liked how the designs have handled it. Some figures need it (Man-E-Faces), and some would be better without it (Double Mischief).

One of my favourites is Kobra Khan's "venom spraying" head, which is my preferred display option for him.

Of the characters we have yet to see in Classics, I am most curious about how Rotar and Twistoid will be handled. I never had these guys as a kid, so I've rarely seen one in real life, and I've certainly never seen one in action.

Time will tell!

Last edited by MOTUforever; August 31, 2014 at 08:38am.

I imagine Blast Attack will be like Modulok with all his joints being separable so you can have him blown to bits if you want him suicide bombing Grayskull, which must be the funniest super power ever lol.

I voted "kind of" based on what MOTUforever was saying about characters like Man-E-Faces. Vintage MotU characters were sometimes all about their action feature, especially later ones. For the Laser Light figures, I've got some really high hopes . . .

My preference for characters like Rotar and Twistoid is that the 4H sculpt their vintage bases so that they can can plug in and "stand." It wouldn't take much to build it so that they could spin in that position if you just manually gave them a twirl. NO LEGS!
    Orko: It's like the Sorceress said: sometimes, the ones who seem the worst, need our help the most.
    He-Man: You're learning.

I said Kind Of. My instinct is "NO"

I would be perfectly fine had roboto not had the gears. I cannot lie and say that I am not pleased as punch that he does. I am very glad Manny Faces head rotates. I would have been really fine if he had 3 fully sculpted heads that went inside that helmet as well however.

I am ecstatic that Modulok is modular. I would have been ok had it only been the giant monster but didnt he really need to be modular?

Can't answer this poll because it doesn't have "my" answer. I would be fine with action features....so long as they didn't compromise the sculpt. Tri-Klops and Man-E-Faces are good examples. Having dials and levers, or having to pose the figure in a certain way for the feature to work (like Mekaneck)....no way.
    2015 MOTUC Line is ON! (Now make Tuskador PLEASE)

Heroic Warrior Zodak's new shoes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne-klops View Post
    Can't answer this poll because it doesn't have "my" answer. I would be fine with action features....so long as they didn't compromise the sculpt. Tri-Klops and Man-E-Faces are good examples. Having dials and levers, or having to pose the figure in a certain way for the feature to work (like Mekaneck)....no way.
    That is how I see it, would love simple things like a waist punch or arm feature on guys like Fisto
    Last edited by Zodak's new shoes; August 31, 2014 at 11:52am.
    Satma needs to happen. I will mow your lawn for life, Scott.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    No thanks. Most action features compromise the sculpt of the figure itself. I like MOTUC figures as they are.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Heroic Warrior
    NO! This is a terrible idea!
    Using the Man-E-Faces argument, well sure, that action feature worked out okay- but with figures like Mekaneck, Tallstar and Extendar, an internalized action feature would've ruined the figure.
    Also, with very few exceptions, Classics has deliberately stayed away from gimmicky action features, which is one of the reasons I love this line. Look at Max Steel- how's that action feature mentality workin' out for him?
    AUDACIEUX ET TENACE

I would LOVE for the laser light figures to have working lights!

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    no. I like possibility & appearance without gimmick stuff getting in the way of the sculpt.
    I dont like that clawful & the sorceress got a action feature that compromised there sculpt & posse ability
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

I like, for the most part, how "action features" have been handled in Classics. I like the gears in Roboto's chest, I like the fact that Stinkor and Moss Man have odor, I like the swappable pieces for Extendar, etc. I even like the dial sculpted on Hurricane Hordak's back. I don't like how the Sorceress's articulation is limited by her action feature, and I really wish that Sy-Klone would spin. But overall I think things have been handled well. I would like the Laser figures to have electronics, but won't be too fussed if they don't (although a clear plastic hand/staff for Skeletor is a must) .
    Hey, if you want to wallow in the negative, go nuts. Sure, things arenít absolutely perfect, and people passionate about a property can get all keyed up about things. But I donít collect toys to be miserable. So Iíd rather think about the things that do excite me
    http://thefwoosh.com/2014/06/masters...beyond-vintage

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    I imagine Blast Attak will simply have removable limbs and a torso that separates and Saurod will come with a "flame-breath" attachment - if he comes with anything at all... but I'll be damned if I can't think of how they will pull off Dragstor! He was one of my favorite bad guys as a child because he essentially acted like the bowling ball to the heroic warrior's pins! I loved revving this guy up! Now, I'm afraid his wheel will become a static part of his sculpt... for that reason, I vote: kind of.
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

It would be awesome if Blast Attak was modular, then he could contribute to Multi-Beast!
    I'm not sure how the overall figure would look with this design though. I'd have to see Multi-Bot first to get an idea.

I voted NO, although I love the vintage figures and their action features. But as an adult collector I don`t play with action figures any more of course, so these days I prefer good sculpts.
    MOTUC Most Wanted : Attak Trak, Stridor, Night Stalker, Masks of Power Demons,
    Alcala-Style-Figures, Point Dread & Talon Fighter

Filmation fan & proud redsquadron's Avatar
    As a rule, I'm fine without action features. They tend to compromise sculpts and lead to ugly 'buttons' contrived into the design. Having said that, I think the likes of Meckanek and Extendar would have been better with genuine 'extending' parts
    I survived the 2013 sub ordeal!
    "We achieved the impossible, and that makes us MIGHTY" (Mal Reynolds, captain of Serenity)

Sometimes the "action feature" is essential to the figure. Can you imagine a Modulok that you couldn't take apart?
    Hey, if you want to wallow in the negative, go nuts. Sure, things arenít absolutely perfect, and people passionate about a property can get all keyed up about things. But I donít collect toys to be miserable. So Iíd rather think about the things that do excite me

I voted no. At this point in the line it would be weird to have a few character at the end of the line made with their action features while we have years worth of figures with approximated features. That's all I need. I'd hate to see the last few figures be inferior in the quality of their sculpt just so they can have some gimmick designed to sell the toy to kids. I don't need Saurod to have a sparking mouth. Blast Attack being made up of parts you can remove is good enough, and the laser light figures will do well enough with cool translucent parts and great sculpts rather than having giant compartments for batteries sculpted on.

Quote Originally Posted by goluphi View Post
    Sometimes the "action feature" is essential to the figure. Can you imagine a Modulok that you couldn't take apart?
    I don`t really consider this to be an action-feature. When it comes to action-features, I`m thinking about Kobra Khan, Ram Man, Saurod, Dragstor, Sy-Klone etc.
    MOTUC Most Wanted : Attak Trak, Stridor, Night Stalker, Masks of Power Demons,
    Alcala-Style-Figures, Point Dread & Talon Fighter

Quote Originally Posted by Oo-Larr View Post
    I don`t really consider this to be an action-feature. When it comes to action-features, I`m thinking about Kobra Khan, Ram Man, Saurod, Dragstor, Sy-Klone etc.
    It's definitely an action feature. Every vintage figure had an action feature, Modulok's was that you could pull him apart and reassemble him. In Classics, they could have easily just made him an articulated figure that you couldn't take a part, or a staction in the 200x staction line. His action feature just doesn't hinder his articulation (for the most part), like some of the others you described.