View Poll Results: What playset would like after Grayskull and Snake Mountain?

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Fright Zone

80 41.45%
  • The Crystal Castle

35 18.13%
  • Eternos Palace

19 9.84%
  • The Towers of Eternia

30 15.54%
  • Castle Bright Moon

4 2.07%
  • Other (please specify)

16 8.29%
  • None

9 4.66%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Future Playset

Hybrid View

Future Playset

So, assuming Snake Mountain to be the next playset after Grayskull, what playset would fans like to see after it?

Either the slime pit or a proper Horde Fright Zone.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

I should have voted Other so I could vote Slime Pit.

But realistically, I'd think based on Grayskull specs alone, they could do a combo of both, since the were both Horde Presence on Eternia.

BUt Fright Zone.

Though you really could build the Slime PIt into it. I dont know.

I want Moon Nordor.

In a perfect world (or a movie year!) Mattel would cover all bases, but in reality, i'd have to side with Hordak and say Fright Zone for me too.
    Most Wanted MOTU Classics:

*MotU ~ Multi-Bot/Tung Lashor *PoP ~ Angella/Mermista *200X ~ Roboto/Calix *Filmation ~ Teela Na/Lord Masque
    *Play-Sets ~ Snake Mountain/Fright Zone *Vehicles ~ Roton/Land Shark *Beasts ~ Night Stalker/Stridor

Heroic Warrior
    The Crystal Castle.

Followed closely by the Fright Zone.

Then the Towers of Eternia.

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Eternos Palace is the most important playset that hasn't been released in any form yet. It was the most common location by far in the Filmation series, the home of all the main heroic characters and the starting point of most plots, and contains such iconic settings as the Royal Throne Hall, Man-at-Arm's laboratory, and Orko's bedroom.

Also, if Mattel Design were smart enough, they could make it happen with a relatively constrained budget, since in its most iconic Filmation incarnation, the symmetrical circular geometry readily lends itself to modularization (unlike highly asymmetrical Castle Grayskull). That is, they would only need to mold a quadrant (or even just an octant) of the structure and sell it as a build-a-palace kit for, say, $100. Those with limited display space could do with just one quadrant of the palace (e.g., to place in a corner), and those with more space and/or budget could buy multiples of it to interconnect into a half or a full palace. Then, the interior props (such as the royal thrones and Orko's bed) should be sold as separate diorama add-ons (just like Grayskull's weapons rack), so as to market them both to people with enough space to buy the playset and place them inside it, and to people with more limited displays with room only for dioramas of specific locations (such the throne hall).
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

I want the Slime Pit. It wouldn't be expensive, allows for some nice sculpting, and isn't too large. Include a translucent green slime pit He-Man and you have a real winner on your hands.
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecue17 View Post
    I want the Slime Pit. It wouldn't be expensive, allows for some nice sculpting, and isn't too large. Include a translucent green slime pit He-Man and you have a real winner on your hands.
    I agree, the Slime Pit was by far more popular than the Fright Zone with kids an fans. So I would much rather that be made THEN after that make the Fright Zone or any other they wanted to make

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    The Fright Zone...Hordak needs a place to put his stuff.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Heroic Warrior
    MOTUC Eternia Playset for me ! The holy Grail of them all !

Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    Eternos Palace is the most important playset that hasn't been released in any form yet. It was the most common location by far in the Filmation series, the home of all the main heroic characters and the starting point of most plots, and contains such iconic settings as the Royal Throne Hall, Man-at-Arm's laboratory, and Orko's bedroom.

Also, if Mattel Design were smart enough, they could make it happen with a relatively constrained budget, since in its most iconic Filmation incarnation, the symmetrical circular geometry readily lends itself to modularization (unlike highly asymmetrical Castle Grayskull). That is, they would only need to mold a quadrant (or even just an octant) of the structure and sell it as a build-a-palace kit for, say, $100. Those with limited display space could do with just one quadrant of the palace (e.g., to place in a corner), and those with more space and/or budget could buy multiples of it to interconnect into a half or a full palace. Then, the interior props (such as the royal thrones and Orko's bed) should be sold as separate diorama add-ons (just like Grayskull's weapons rack), so as to market them both to people with enough space to buy the playset and place them inside it, and to people with more limited displays with room only for dioramas of specific locations (such the throne hall).
    I think this a great idea, and probley the only way well ever get true to life playsets for our six inch MOTUC figs.I have made this suggestion before myself. don't know why they just don't put it to a fan vote. I belive this idea would allso work well for giving us an awesome Snake Mountain, or Eternia playset. ok back on topic I voted other because after Snake Mountain, I want Point dread.

I voted none.

I always preferred to use my imagination in cases of setting when I played. I loved my Castle Grayskull as a kid, but it disappointed me somewhat in its lack of size. So many times my action figures would enter it and then play out their adventures in an area that I'd set up to look like its interior.

Breaking up the Eternos palace into smaller pieces would just make me hate it. I don't have the space - but I would want the whole thing. It would just frustrate me. Also, I don't think they could do it justice. Again, I'd rather make my own settings and find environments that work, so that size doesn't become ridiculous. A palace like Eternos, to match the scale of the figures, should be the size of a house. Grayskull, at least, could be the size of my apartment.

Filmation Fright Zone is the same. It would just be too small, and I would ignore it for a better set, ie. one that I've created and/or scouted out for play.
    Orko: It's like the Sorceress said: sometimes, the ones who seem the worst, need our help the most.
    He-Man: You're learning.

Quote Originally Posted by Poweron View Post
    I voted none.

I always preferred to use my imagination in cases of setting when I played. I loved my Castle Grayskull as a kid, but it disappointed me somewhat in its lack of size. So many times my action figures would enter it and then play out their adventures in an area that I'd set up to look like its interior.

Breaking up the Eternos palace into smaller pieces would just make me hate it. I don't have the space - but I would want the whole thing. It would just frustrate me. Also, I don't think they could do it justice. Again, I'd rather make my own settings and find environments that work, so that size doesn't become ridiculous. A palace like Eternos, to match the scale of the figures, should be the size of a house. Grayskull, at least, could be the size of my apartment.

Filmation Fright Zone is the same. It would just be too small, and I would ignore it for a better set, ie. one that I've created and/or scouted out for play.
    That's how I feel about action features. It's weird what things we want as a physical item and what works better in our imaginations. To me the action features got in the way and were an inferior version of what I would imagine the character doing. It just took me out of the world I had created to stop and push a lever.

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poweron View Post
    I voted none.

But then, what's your suggestion? Do you mean that Mattel should never give us the Eternos Palace in any form because they could (obviously) never produce it "truly" in scale with the figures? Going by that reasoning, we could never get any playset whatsoever for our MotUC figures. The Grayskull we've got is obviously not "truly" in scale, and there are aspects of it I would have changed (I wanted it to be somewhat bigger and able to eventually expand to a full four-walled thing), but I'm so thankful that we got it in some form anyway, even if it wasn't exactly the way I would have designed it. Snake Mountain would be impossible to produce anywhere near in-scale with the figures, unless it were the size of the LEGO Empire State at Times Square Toys R' Us. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't get a MotUC Snake Mountain and I sure hope we finally get one eventually.

Playsets have to be limited in size for various real-life reasons (among them, the fact that it would not be possible for Mattel to ship a too-big playset to collectors because of mail packaging restrictions, and the fact that people have to be able to find some place for them in their homes). MotUC playsets, just like many of the vehicles (e.g. Filmation Attak Trak, the Collector, or Filmation four-seater Wind Raider), cannot be "truly" to scale. But that doesn't mean we can never have some amazing "downscaled" version of them. Maybe you didn't like the vintage or the MotUC castle, but I'm sure most fans who got one are pretty satisfied with their Grayskull and glad it got released.

That said, even though Eternos Palace is my personal #1 most-wanted playset ever, I think that to be fair the third playset after CG and SM should be the Crystal Castle, so that the Etherian displays can have their centerpiece.

The following would be my preferred order of release:

1-Castle Grayskull
    2-Snake Mountain [Filmation, hybridized with vintage elements]
    3-Crystal Castle
    4-Fright Zone [Filmation]
    5-Eternos Palace
    6-Three Towers of Eternia
    7-Starship Eternia
    8-Moon of Nordor
    9-Castle Brightmoon
    10-Fright Cave [vintage Fright Zone]
    -others (such as Darksmoke, Mystic Mountains, Mystacor, Beast Island, Galactic City, Gorn City, Levitan, Lady Slither's Lair, Merman's Crystal Sea, etc.)

Playsets #1, #2 and #5 are the centerpiece (CG) and the two faction "homes" (SM and EP) of the Eternian display. Playsets #3, #4 and #9 are the centerpiece (CC) and the two faction "homes" (FZ and CB, the latter together with the WW diorama) of the Etherian display. Playset #6 (TT) is the must-have one of the Preternian display (both its centerpiece and the "home" of both the Heroic and Snakemen factions), but can be complemented with #10 (FC, which I view as the Horde's stronghold in Preternia). Playsets #7 (SE) and #8 (MN) are the basic ones for each faction of the Tri-Solar display.

Note that above I'm only considering the bigger playsets. There are some smaller ones (as well as some that can be considered more like diorama sets):

-Whispering Woods
    -Slime Pit
    -Crystal Falls
    -others (such as some "swamp-like" environment that could double as Eternia's Tar Swamp and Denebria's Quagmi Swamp, etc.)
    Last edited by uaxuctum; September 1, 2014 at 03:10pm.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

[QUOTE=uaxuctum;3507392]
    But then, what's your suggestion?
    I don't have one, really. I just voted on the poll and explained why I voted that way.

Do you mean that Mattel should never give us the Eternos Palace in any form because they could (obviously) never produce it "truly" in scale with the figures? Going by that reasoning, we could never get any playset whatsoever for our MotUC figures. The Grayskull we've got is obviously not "truly" in scale, and there are aspects of it I would have changed (I wanted it to be somewhat bigger and able to eventually expand to a full four-walled thing), but I'm so thankful that we got it in some form anyway, even if it wasn't exactly the way I would have designed it.
    I think that Castle Grayskull is pretty cool. I can pass on it though until I'm super-wealthy. If Mattel wants to do playsets, and people want to buy them then more power to all parties. I was just stating the opinion that the poll asked me for.

I've never been a playset guy, so I'd be fine if they made none. I love that you love them though.
    Orko: It's like the Sorceress said: sometimes, the ones who seem the worst, need our help the most.
    He-Man: You're learning.

The Towers!!! That'd be so cool!
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Honestly, I'd prefer some of the mini playsets first. Point Dread, then the Slime Pit, maybe the vintage Fright Zone (I'd love to have the Filmation version as well, but that's not very realistic; in order to have it fit just one action figure inside, the base would be over three feet in diameter!).

For the next large one, I think I'd want to see the Crystal Castle: Filmation design with some of the interior details from the original playset. The Eternia Towers might seem unlikely because of the size, but if released individually, I think they could be affordable.
    "I damned the world to save my daughter once... and I will do it for her again."
    I do custom action figures, commissioned art, and I will make any Masters of the Universe costume, tailored to you!
    View my website! http://www.havocstaff.50megs.com

I voted fot the Towers, but I'd be happy just with Central Tower.

The Crystal Castle.
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2015!!!

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    the fright zone would be most fun as a play set & display piece.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

Heroic Warrior
    -Fright Zone
    Filmation of course. Evildustrial facade in front, throne room with high stepped altar, computers, large veiw screens, large tenacle monster in back.
    Also with large playmat depicting toxic fluids and iron grating.

-Eternos Palace
    Large pink half dome with throne room inside. His and hers thrones and awesome Kirbyesque deco. Long "concrete" wall that extends off one side of
    the dome depicting the courtyard featuring rectangular stone benches, a fountain, exotic foliage and more.

-Mystic Mountains
    ...or "Zodak's Sanctuary". Faux mountain top with a large one-roomed tower. Half-octogon with windows and detailed wood grain. Accessories include the Mystic Weapons Rack with a half dozen ultimate weapons, and the Enforcer's Chair. A guy can dream.

-Whispering Woods
    Modular playset that makes an even bigger forest by buying multiple. Throw in some catapults, picnic tables, some Twiggets etc. This playset can also be used as an Eternian Forest.

-Crystal Castle
    ...with Light Hope and whatever else should go in there. Wasn't there a bed in there or something?

Heroic Rock Warrior jdscissorhands's Avatar
    I'd love a Brightmoon Palace and an Eternos Palace. These never made it back in the 1980s, I think they would be great in toyform!

As for the Fright Zone, I'd much prefer a Filmation one: I find it scarier than the actual playset from the vintage MOTU...
    20 Most needed characters before MOTUC ends...

Heroic: Lizard Man / King Miro / Hawke / Dakon
    Evil: Evilseed
    POP: Angella / King Micah / General Sunder/ Twiggets 3 pack
    Horde: Vultak / Hunga / Prahvus
    POG: Veena
    SnakeMen: Tung Lashor / Sssqueeze
    Rock People: Granita
    NA: Darius / Sebrian

The Filmation Fright Zone was so scary looking, the toy version was just silly.

Point dread!