Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Answers to WTFWTK 2.155!

Answers to WTFWTK 2.155!

Mattel has once again provided answers to your questions.
    Thanks again to them for taking the time to answer these!
    Check out their answers to your Round 155 questions!

This round of questions were selected by DrumMaster.
    Thanks to that fan for their help!

1. DrumMaster: When Snake Mountain is offered for preorder, is it possible for MattyCollector to lock in a combined preorder amount for BOTH the playset and shipping? Having a shipping fee that's guaranteed is very helpful for budgeting, especially for international fans who pay a lot for shipping.

That is a great idea and something we will look into when setting the price for the playset. Things are still being worked out for the final price and for the overall set, so we can definitely keep that in mind.

2. Kid Canada: Have you worked on a way to combine all the subscriptions for 2016? When ThunderCats comes out, there will be three separate subs that we know of on Digital River and the ability to combine them would help with the current high shipping costs.

Hopefully we will have something like that worked out. Digital River is an on-going area we are trying to improve for you guys, but it takes time. We are very aware of the burden that shipping creates for multiple items, so we have been discussing ways to try and lighten the load for the fans.

3. FAKER II: Test shots of upcoming 2016 Collector's Choice and Classics 2.0 Filmation figures slipped out on eBay, showcasing a new ankle system to allow for better ankle articulation. While the improved ankle articulation is appreciated, there is fan concern over the elongated boots which make the figures look anatomically incorrect. It also seems that the new ankles will make all the new figures stand slightly taller than previously released figures. Are these new boot designs final or will they be tweaked to improve their appearance?

First off, it's a shame that those made it onto eBay. We cannot comment on the exact version you saw, since we have not seen the pics of what was being sold. Yes, the new ankle articulation is a bit different and we have had some issues in development. But if what you saw was a first shot, then it has been improved since those early versions. The overall range of motion for these new figures is pretty outstanding. And as a line, they will fit in nicely with your collection while also standing out great on their own.

4. Jean: Has any thought been put into how you will be celebrating MOTUC's 10th anniversary in 2018?

At this moment we are still focusing on getting 2017 up and running while finishing 2016. But we hope by 2018, we will still be going strong and we would love to be able to do something huge for MOTUC's 10 year anniversary!

5. AdultCollector: How much longer will Mattel have the rights to produce MOTU and POP Filmation characters as toys?

We have no comment at this time. But check back with us later in the year!

--------------------

Click here to ask questions in Round 157!
    Click here for a master list of all previous Q&A sessions.
    And, have fun discussing Mattel's answers to your Round 155 questions!
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    Power-Con returns in 2016! Hope to see you there!

The answer to number 5 is kind of interesting...

Widget
    I'd like to see the prototypes they were talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Man Ram View Post
    I'd like to see the prototypes they were talking about.
    Pictures were posted in the test shots thread starting with post #1655

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=1#post3626731
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Hopefully we will have something like that worked out. Digital River is an on-going area we are trying to improve for you guys, BUT IT TAKES TIME. We are very aware of the burden that shipping creates for multiple items, so we have been discussing ways to try and lighten the load for the fans.
    Apparently 7+ years is not enough time? This is bad comedy. Just get rid of them or tell us you have little to no control over the situation, which has been proven time and again. After 8 years, it is obvious that Digital River will NEVER be a quality vendor that everyone feels comfortable doing business with.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I read that as the He-Man and the Masters of the Universe (aka Classics 2.0) line continuing and that we'll see next year's figures at ComiCon. But who knows? Maybe it's something else completely.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Ask again at SDCC this year. They didn't say "we have the rights for a good long while so don't worry on that". I'm guessing they could extend the license agreement if profit numbers are sufficient. Maybe it's being negotiated now hence the vague answer.

Court Magician
    "But it takes time". This is the best answer, from scott to this team, the answer is always the same. When is it long enough?? Maybe they should rephrase it to, "it takes so long that itll never happen because you will continue to buy our products no matter what". Id have more respect for them with that answer. At least they wouldn't be blowing smoke up my fireplace.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
    "But it takes time". This is the best answer, from scott to this team, the answer is always the same. When is it long enough?? Maybe they should rephrase it to, "it takes so long that itll never happen because you will continue to buy our products no matter what". Id have more respect for them with that answer. At least they wouldn't be blowing smoke up my fireplace.
    This.

I will go on record as having NEVER had a problem with DR. I've never been ripped off.. or delayed or had anything damaged... Nothing that the hordes of people complain about.

However, 7-8 years is a BIT ridiculous to say 'it takes time'. Either they're locked into a contract... they don't think there's a problem (again, I haven't had one... I suspect it's another vocal minority thing) or most likely, they're the cheapest in town and are REALLY trying to keep costs down.

But really, 'These things take time' when they've already gone through over 190 figure/vehicles scattered through over 7 years just isn't right.

Court Magician
    Ive never had any issue other than the high cost for shipping. When shipping is a third of the cost, to me, that is high shipping cost. Ive had multiple items and it really amazes me that DR cant combine products and ship them out together. Are the items coming from multiple warehouses or just one warehouse? If the answer is one warehouse, then why cant they ship all items together?

Agreed....but as long as I get a Mer-Man head before their license expires (or whatever) I won't need to harm anyone.
    My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post

Either they're locked into a contract... they don't think there's a problem (again, I haven't had one... I suspect it's another vocal minority thing)
    I RARELY post, so I'm definitely not vocal and I've had numerous problems with Digital River over the years.
    I'm truly shocked that you and others have never had a problem with this worthless company.

Let's see, there was the time they sent my first run Roboto with the reissue "The Original" on it, and then again, forcing me to have to purchase one without The Original on it via ebay.

I lucked out and actually got my Sorceress and Fisto, unlike many other subscribers.

Then there was the time that they cancelled my sub accidently, and then reinstated it as well as reordering it, giving me two total subs. I had lots of fun trying to get my money back for the second sub that they kept sending me, since they couldn't cancel it this time? (huh?) They told me to wait at my house (hard to do when I work full time) and wait until the mailman was here to deliver my second package and to tell the mailman to Not Accept the second package so that I wouldn't have to pay for return shipping for this second sub that I never ordered. Then once it was received I would get my money back, but did I get shipping back, no. That was another four hours on the phone with them.

Then there were the several times my credit card number was changed by the bank because of a fraud scare..and everytime it screwed my sub up with Digital River, who I still believe cannot figure out how to type a number into a computer and hit save.

Anyways, I missed the cutoff this year for the Collector's Choice sub--which I'm really sad about. But I'm also very happy to FINALLY BE FREE OF DIGITAL RIVER after 8 years of dealing with their ineptitude. See ya Digital River. Na Na Na Na Goodbye....

I'm concerned by this answer. Doesn't it imply the rights will expire soon?
    Awesome sticker included!

I find myself wondering if Snake Mountain will be available for sale at all. And concerning the Filmation figures... well hey, if they lose th rights in the middle of the year, would they have to scrap what's left of the sub?

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maa5 View Post
    I RARELY post, so I'm definitely not vocal and I've had numerous problems with Digital River over the years.
    I'm truly shocked that you and others have never had a problem with this worthless company.
    In all of these years collecting Classics, I've only had a problem once.

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull's Heir View Post
    Nah.
    They just got the rights in what.. 2012 leading up to the 2013 minisub? They'll have them for a while.

If anything, it could mean even better news, especially with all the movie talk and such of late.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Same here. The only problem I ever had is how their shopping cart isn't editable at the final stage of checkout so that caused me to miss out on two items instead of just one that had sold out.

I guess you can count the red screen of death early on, turned white screen. But that wasn't a problem so much as just an annoyance due to all the traffic hitting the sales page at that time.
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    Power-Con returns in 2016! Hope to see you there!

Heroic Warrior
    Quite the interesting round of Q's and A's.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Nah.
    They just got the rights in what.. 2012 leading up to the 2013 minisub? They'll have them for a while.

If anything, it could mean even better news, especially with all the movie talk and such of late.

that was how I read that answer to 5. Positive and possibly exciting news.

Heroic Warrior
    hmmm....
    Question 5 IS interesting, i actually took it to mean 'something's going on, come back later' but haven't decided if i'm feeling positive or negative about it yet, hell it could even be Mattel buying the rights (it probably isn't, but didn't the Filmation rights change hands recently, since 2012 at least, maybe Dreamworks want to unload 'em or needs/wants to negotiate a new deal or something)
    As for 'it takes time' I'm guessing the New Team are talking just from when they took over?

Quote Originally Posted by dwitefry View Post
    hmmm....
    Question 5 IS interesting, i actually took it to mean 'something's going on, come back later' but haven't decided if i'm feeling positive or negative about it yet, hell it could even be Mattel buying the rights (it probably isn't, but didn't the Filmation rights change hands recently, since 2012 at least, maybe Dreamworks want to unload 'em or needs/wants to negotiate a new deal or something)
    As for 'it takes time' I'm guessing the New Team are talking just from when they took over?
    I'd say they prob are buying the rights... it's what Hasbro did with GI Joe and Transformers and their Marvel comic catalogs, and all their cartoon series from Sunbow.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull's Heir View Post
    No, but it's possible the license may be near a renewal milestone. Since I don't believe we know the original length, it may very well be up for its first renewal option. Or it may be set for years. The "no comment at this time" is because either contractually with the license-or or due to internal legal concerns, they simply can't share the details.

The second part leads me to speculate that it indeed is up for renewal, and we'll hear about a renewal somewhere like SDCC.

I like what MightyMegs said, though - it would be nice if Mattel would just buy the dang thing. But I'm just not sure they really want to do that, and just like they had to license the whole MOTU/PoP library and not get the characters piece-meal, I doubt that they could just buy part of the FILMation library. That was what made it easier for Hasbro because Sunbow only owned Hasbro material, whereas if Mattel bought the FILMation library they'd be buying a heck of a lot more.
    Last edited by SpiritOfTeela; January 9, 2016 at 12:37pm.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritOfTeela View Post
    No, but it's possible the license may be near a renewal milestone. Since I don't believe we know the original length, it may very well be up for its first renewal option. Or it may be set for years. The "no comment at this time" is because either contractually with the license-or or due to internal legal concerns, they simply can't share the details.

The second part leads me to speculate that it indeed is up for renewal, and we'll hear about a renewal somewhere like SDCC.

I like what MightyMegs said, though - it would be nice if Mattel would just buy the dang thing. But I'm just not sure they really want to do that, and just like they had to license the whole MOTU/PoP library and not get the characters piece-meal, I doubt that they could just buy part of the FILMation library. That was what made it easier for Hasbro because Sunbow only owned Hasbro material, whereas if Mattel bought the FILMation library they'd be buying a heck of a lot more.
    True, but lets say hypatheticly that Mattel did buy the Filmation rights, it would open up other action figure line avenues for them like Blackstar and BraveStarr. The Horsemen would still be sculpting the figures.
    Looking forward to the rest of 2016 with Collectors Choice, Club Grayskull & Thundercats.........Excited for 2017 with Brian Flynn of Super7 & Four Horsemen taking over the MOTUC's, Club Grayskull and Hopefully Thundercats collectors lines

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw41 View Post
    True, but lets say hypatheticly that Mattel did buy the Filmation rights, it would open up other action figure line avenues for them like Blackstar and BraveStarr. The Horsemen would still be sculpting the figures.
    I assume they'd probably just buy the He-Man and She-Ra related rights, not Filmation in it's entirety
    Last edited by dwitefry; January 9, 2016 at 09:34pm.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I too only had a problem once and they resolved it,(well besides the site glitching and making me miss out on EA stuff that I luckily got later) I had one QC issue this year but caught it too late so didn't try to remedy it. (Had a trade fall through and discovered a slight lazy eye on Perfuma when taking the picture for Ebay...it's now next to the Buzz Saw Hordak I couldn't get rid of on my 10 year Old's night stand) Guess I got lucky too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dwitefry View Post
    I assume they'd probably just buy the He-Man and She-Ra related rights, not Filmation in it's entirety
    I would think that would make the most sense.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by maa5 View Post

Let's see, there was the time they sent my first run Roboto with the reissue "The Original" on it, and then again, forcing me to have to purchase one without The Original on it via ebay.

I lucked out and actually got my Sorceress and Fisto, unlike many other subscribers.

Then there was the time that they cancelled my sub accidently, and then reinstated it as well as reordering it, giving me two total subs. I had lots of fun trying to get my money back for the second sub that they kept sending me, since they couldn't cancel it this time? (huh?) They told me to wait at my house (hard to do when I work full time) and wait until the mailman was here to deliver my second package and to tell the mailman to Not Accept the second package so that I wouldn't have to pay for return shipping for this second sub that I never ordered. Then once it was received I would get my money back, but did I get shipping back, no. That was another four hours on the phone with them.

Then there were the several times my credit card number was changed by the bank because of a fraud scare..and everytime it screwed my sub up with Digital River, who I still believe cannot figure out how to type a number into a computer and hit save.

Anyways, I missed the cutoff this year for the Collector's Choice sub--which I'm really sad about. But I'm also very happy to FINALLY BE FREE OF DIGITAL RIVER after 8 years of dealing with their ineptitude. See ya Digital River. Na Na Na Na Goodbye....
    I haven't encountered problems with DR either just the slow pace that is Newgistics they use to shipped their stuff. As for the Sorceress I was able to order her pretty easily. sure there were fiascos like the Horde trooper and such.