Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which MOTU character had the best revamp in the 2002/MYP cartoon?

Which MOTU character had the best revamp in the 2002/MYP cartoon?

I loved the way most of the MOTU characters were updated for the 2002 series, but some were better, and more drastic than others. So which character update was your favorite and why? I think Buzz-Off and Webstor got the best makeovers all around. The insect/spider qualities of both characters were used very well, and not to mention the change in thier voices.

Webstor
    (Sorry these are just pics of the figure, but I couldnt find any that were very good of the cartoon.)

Buzz-Off

Huge custard eating power flaming_knob's Avatar
    I loved Fistos look. He had a massive fist! Plus his character was a good balance for MAA who always came across as a slight know it all.
    We don't need no education...

Yes you do, you've just used a double negative!

Snappy Threader
    I would have to go with Webstor for sure.

Depends what we're talking about. If we're including the Staction Line. Then one (myself included) could make the case that any of these is a revamp. Those Stactions are by far the best MOTU pieces we've ever had IMO. As for the regular 200X figures brought to us through retail.....I'm going to think about this this one. I'll be back.......

Oh, man. For me, it was a LOT of them. I'll just list the best for me, but many are beyond awesome...

1. Man-at-arms: OK, I'm not a fan of the big shoulder pad, but everything else looked amazing. The details in the tech of the armor with the fur elements and gruff face expression is great. MUCH better than the original.

2. Skeletor: Especially the black-washed version. The pose and design details really show this overlord of evil and a much more menacing enemy to the denzians of Eternia. The skull sculpt is the best ever. Much more realistic and demonic than any version of Skeletor that came before.

3. Evil-lyn: Love the long back-skirt.

4. Teela: Hotness incarnate.

5. Man-E-Faces: I'm just bummed he, like many, did not have knee and elbow articulation.

6. Zodak: Bad-ass

7. Beast man: A real, savage brute. I love the size differences.

8. Mer-man: The new face is a more fishy version (and is like the card-back)

9. Orko: looks wicked, creepy.

10. Fisto: the Norse look works great

11. Rio Blast: The big ol' revolover for a limb is great!

12. Kobra Khan: The skinny-ness again shows great size difference among the characters keeping them more realistic. I like the clawed hands too.

I know it's off topic, but the new character design I had the most problems with was, ironically, the main character: He-Man. It sucks because there were so many other great updates the one that mattered most was a dud!
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

I agree with you guys on most of these, but mostly Fisto and Man-at-arms. They managed to take two characters, that I had little to no interest in originally, and make them completely badass. One of my other favorite character upgrades was Hordak. Man, when appeared in the episode 'The Power of Grayskull', I was blown away. He looked so evil, and powerful!

They were all great and I especially loved the details. I only hated the silly ankle bracelet pouches on the female figures.

The MYP show made the bad guys threatening which was a huge step up from how they were portrayed as blithering idiots in the old show.

Trap Jaw....He's style in 200x made him far menacing and more dangerous than original look..

Evil Lyn... Honesty I did not like her original yellow skin but in 200x version of her. She got better skin and more detailed look.

Overall I did like that MotU 200x had different scale of characters than each has same height.

I thought they were all updated great but I have to say I loved the 200X Skeletor. Trap-Jaw is a really close second.
    View my collection and customs HERE!

Man this tough, I don't think I can choose one they're all so good, but Skeletor, Trap Jaw, Clawful, Buzz-Off, Mer-Man are definitely up there, not to forget Marzo and Evilseed! I just wish Zodak had kept his original 4HM alien design.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

UK MOTU Fan Club Members - Add You Member Name to this Thread

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one

I thought Webstor was the best as I never thought of him as a Spider-like being until MYP. But to me it fit his name perfectly.

Double Trouble is MINE!! Shadow-Ra's Avatar
    Definitely Webstor. He became my new favourite villain. worst update was Clawful, I didn't like how they made him into a bumbling, dumb character.
    "Skeletor to King Randor, Skeletor to King Randor, come in you Royal Boob!"

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-Ra View Post
    Definitely Webstor. He became my new favourite villain. worst update was Clawful, I didn't like how they made him into a bumbling, dumb character.
    But his voice had nothing to do w/ his appearance. I loved the new Clawful look as a Staction. But yes I do agree his voice wasn't how it should have been.
    As a Staction bare in mind all the Statctions are amazing. I liked Jitsu's & Snake Face's revamp if you will. More detail on Snake Face & more get up for Jitsu meaning he was dressed to actually look like a ninja. For the retail 200X toys I loved Trap Jaw's new look. More detail on him and he looks menacing. From his bionic arm to the stitches in his chest. Loved this figure and especially the Mini Comic version by at least turning him green and giving him rock star status eye liner. Simply awesome.

I cannot think of a character that had a bad revamp from MYP. Between Buzz-Off and Webstor I would say Buzz-Off received more love from the writers. He or his people received at least 3 episodes. I loved his battle against the giants.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

I have to agree, I dont think there was a single character that got a 'bad' update.

Quote Originally Posted by Beastman83 View Post
    I dont think there was a single character that got a 'bad' update.
    I agree with this 100%
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

UK MOTU Fan Club Members - Add You Member Name to this Thread

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    I've gotta go with the many that have said it already, and name Webstor. Although I do like the "half-man, half-spider, but mostly man" " kinda Webstor of the vintage years, I love how they developed him and made him more creepy (and spider-y). Although I wasn't always a fan of some of the 200x looks, the Webstor staction is terrific. Also in a similar vein (and no pun intended here!), Mosquitor really looks good.

Some 200x designs didn't work for me - they lost the bold looks of the originals, though I did like the differences in size, and figures such as Beast Man, Leech, Tung Lashor etc., who were turned into giant hulking brutes, were often really impressive.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

I said Trap Jaw,Skeletor and Hordak were the best revamp of this series.
    Where are they? Where are your friends now? Tell me about the loneliess of good, He-Man. Is it equal to the loneliness of evil?

the snake-men.

Um... TRI-KLOPS, duh. The new battle kilt is what sold me.

Seriously though, it's hard for me to choose which is my favorite revamp. EVIL LYN probably got the best new color scheme, and amazing new details to her costume. TRAPJAW is definitely one of the best, as far as having better details but the same basic look. He looks like a total psycho! Really he almost looks too ****ed up to be in the world of MOTU, but that's what I love about him. DUNCAN is also among the best, but where TRAPJAW's oversized parts work, DUNCAN's GIANT pauldron looked like a salad bowl on his shoulder. If it were about half that size, he would be perfect. For TEELA, I liked the Horsemen's smaller-boobed, no-anklepurse sculpt before Mattel ruined it. Interestingly enough, it was BEAST MAN that made me decide to start collecting this line. When I saw the scale of that figure in comparisson to the human-sized ones, I knew this toyline was for me. I think the worst update (from Mattel's in-house team, not the Horsemen) was KING HSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.
    "I damned the world to save my daughter once... and I will do it for her again."
    I do custom action figures, commissioned art, and I will make any Masters of the Universe costume, tailored to you!
    View my website! http://www.havocstaff.50megs.com

Its easily Roboto for me. But after that, the stactions are amazing to say the least with their highly detailed sculpt and paint app. As for the figures, i think most had a fantastic modern incarnation of a revamp. It's a shame we didn't get more...
    Most Wanted MOTU Classics:

*200X ~ WMD Roboto/Sorceress *Filmation ~ Teela' Na/Hawke *Play-Sets ~ Eternia/Crystal Castle *Vehicles ~ Land Shark/Roton *Beasts ~ Stridor/Dragoon

I'd say Webstor. He looks more spider-ish than his vintage counterpart.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    Webstor, Clawful, Beastman, Leech, Trap-Jaw, Hordak, Buzz-Off, Rio-Blast, Jitsu, King Randor, Count Marzo, Evil Seed, Rattlor, Moss-Man

... are great improvements
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, King Miro, Melaktha, Crystal-Man, ABC Giants, Stridor, Road Ripper, Land Shark

I go with Webstor followed by Rattlor, Prince Adam and Buzz Off. Also Ram Man had a nice update compared to his vintage figure.

Figures that did the opposite are He-Man, Teela & Mek-A-Nek.