Thread: What if Mattel didn't turn down the Star Wars figures line?

What if Mattel didn't turn down the Star Wars figures line?

If Mattel took on the original Star Wars Trilogy toy line would MOTU have ever seen the light of day?I often wondered about this since the Star Wars movies toyline went on well into MOTU's run.Do you think MOTU would have even been considered by Mattel had they took on the Star Wars toyline?
    ICER
    Your friendly neighborhood org member!

I think we would all be buying the Star Wars Classics line as sculpted by the 4 Horseman

I would have alot more money in my bank account!!!
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    I highly doubt MOTU would have existed at all. This forum would not be around.

Mattel was looking to get back into the boy's action figure market, and I believe Roger Sweet commented in his book that the head at Mattel at the time, never got over turning down Star Wars. While MOTU was a win for Mattel, it's kinda like losing out on your first love, you can never forget it.

But for all of us here, it's great that Mattel turned it down, we got one creative and awesome toyline and franchise. Losing is a good thing, sometimes!

Freelance Gynecologist masterenglish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    I highly doubt MOTU would have existed at all. This forum would not be around.

Mattel was looking to get back into the boy's action figure market, and I believe Roger Sweet commented in his book that the head at Mattel at the time, never got over turning down Star Wars. While MOTU was a win for Mattel, it's kinda like losing out on your first love, you can never forget it.

But for all of us here, it's great that Mattel turned it down, we got one creative and awesome toyline and franchise. Losing is a good thing, sometimes!
    Great post, its really interesting to think about it from that perspective. No He-Man? I can't even imagine that! I wonder if I would have got into Star Wars...

i collected g.i. joes,mask,thundercats,etc.. so i would have been pre-occupied.. Had some early star wars figures but they just didn't do it for me. If there was no he-man i might be collecting the WWF legend line by Mattel these days. I was a huge wrestling fan as a kid.

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    He-Man and She-Ra is one of the greatest story and character structures ever thought up, it will never be topped, to suggest it was never thought up would only ask who would do it eventualy.

..(like if Biff didnt steal the time machine would Marttie be evil, rich and married to his own mom)

But the answer is that instead of Kenner making CareBears they would have made He-Man.
    ..just hopefuly not a rainbow power He-Man.

Wow. That question just blew my mind. GREAT thread! I don't know...I never got that into Star Wars and don't know if I would have, and while I loved all the other awesome 80's toys 'n toons, nothing resonated with and stuck with me like He-Man, so I don't know if I'd still be collecting today.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

When you stop and think about it it's amazing how 1 Companies decision affected millions of peoples lives worldwide!And still is today.
    Last edited by ICER; October 26, 2012 at 10:22pm.
    ICER
    Your friendly neighborhood org member!

Quote Originally Posted by ICER View Post
    When you stop and think about it it's amazing how 1 Companies decision affected millions of peoples lives worldwide!And still is today.
    It's not just one company. All the companies passed on Star Wars. I have thought about this question before but not with Mattel. The company that I think about and say "What if?" is Mego. Once Star Wars was a hit Mego gobbled up just about every space themed property they could license, from Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon to Superman the Movie and Star Trek the Motion Picture. Fast forward to 1983 and they are out of business. Arguably the biggest action figure manufacturer of the 70's and they don't even make it through the 80's. At least Mattel still exists; the blow of not getting Star Wars killed the Mego company, plus the fact that licensed properties that were easy to get in the 70's were now demanding serious money in the 80's.

It is compelling to think of how Mattel or Mego would have done Star Wars; would they have taken their queue from Takara like Kenner did and make it like Microman or would Mattel had made the Star Wars like their big line at the time, Big Jim. Would Mego had made Star Wars like their World's Greatest Superheroes line? Would they have been done as well as Kenner did the line? The world will never know.
    Last edited by Piccolo Daimaoh; October 26, 2012 at 10:42pm.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…