Thread: Watching She-Ra for the first time!

Watching She-Ra for the first time!

Eternians,

Thanks to Netflix, I've been watching MOTU for the past few days. So, I decided to check out She-Ra, too. When it originally aired, I was not interested in a "girl's" cartoon and toyline. I was 14 and He-Man was being overshadowed by GI Joe in my house, so what can I say?

Is it just me or does it seem to be a better cartoon? Is it just because it had 2 years on MOTU? When I started watching MOTU last week on Netflix, it seemed a bit sloppier than I remember. It is definitely fun to watch, but I'm kinda digging She-Ra just a bit more!

Yeah it was like they used thier experience from motu and improved upon it with better writing.
    Starchild's #1 fan!!

I think I feel the same. I don't know if it's because I have seen MOTU more & She-Ra is newer to me. I just started watching in like March, but before that my only She-Ra memories were an embarrassing picture my mom took of me kissing the TV while She-Ra was on screen (ahh childhood ), and somekind of rainbow rodent. Now I find myself enjoying it more than MOTU. If it had come first I'm sure it would be the same for MOTU.

At least your enjoying it & thats all that really matters.
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!
    The Space Mutants are missing something CRITAcal!
    Chocolate and Vanilla swiiiirl. Swur-Urrl. -Crazy Eyes

LOL - that's awesome. Any chance you can post that pic?

It's kind of sad because I realized that MOTU is not really THAT good once you take off the nostalgia goggles. I am enjoying watching them, but once I'm through them, I know that there won't be much repeat viewing - something I love to do!
    Last edited by Malev_Emperor; October 29, 2012 at 12:32am.

Widget
    It's a mixed bag. I think they improve on not having some of the quirks that He-man had (extra clunky animation scenes, questionable voice acting for secondary characters - although Queen Angela is pretty silly). But then, take a look at Bow, what the heck is with that design; the voice actor does make it up it quite a bit by doing a great job, but then there are episodes where he signs and ... wow - bad.

I'm surprised as how much of a jerk Kowl is too!

I just made another thread on Skeletor in She-Ra - whenever he is involved the show is fantastic.

There are some fun lore bits that were never resolved (The Red Knight) too.

I think overall it polished some of the stuff that might have stuck out in He-Man, but it still had quite a few of its own things that would make me

He-man is the better show, to me.

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    Angella with weird wings slapped on her back, and still fitting into that yoga outfit, is odd.

..but there is a way to make her a very interesting and important character.

(working on character structure is not something those filmation people did all the time)

She-Ra was in many way superior to MOTU and took many creative liberties in bringing a girls action cartoon to an audience in a time when girls entertainment was stagnant and dated.

She-Ra showed a physical and emotional strength equal to any male hero, along with a softness that girls could identify with. As a kid, my love for He-Man and his rippling muscles, and gorgeous tanned skin was matched only by my adoration's of She-Ra's killer boots, and ability to throw down with even the toughest of Horde goons

She-Ra and Jem & The Holograms broke boundaries and provided quality entertainment to girls in a way previously unseen in animation. The material was also such that boys could hop on board as well.

I would not go as far to say that She-Ra was a 'gay icon' as for me, as a woman that exudes confidence and physical power is not automatically a gay icon (as I am a man, who identifies with men), however I will say that She-Ra broke gender roles, and most likely encouraged young women (and those who have both feminine and masculine qualities) to follow their dreams, and that anyone can be a hero. I'm tired. Good night.
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; October 30, 2012 at 02:24am.

Heroic Warrior
    I discovered both He-man and She-ra on Netflix too. I had to admit, I did hate She-ra at first because I thought it was going to be some stupid girly cartoon (I watched mainly boy stuff growing up). But when I saw Secret of the Sword (AKA the first five episodes of She-ra without the fillers), I enjoyed it and became a fan of this.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm slowly making my way through all the episodes of She-Ra.

I initially tried watching MOTU, but it just didn't hold my interest for 20 minutes. I'd always get bored and wander off to do something else. But, most episodes of She-Ra manage to hold my attention and some are particularly good.

I think it has a lot to do with the basic premise of the She-Ra series. The idea of a small, yet powerful, band of rebels trying to overthrow the technological and magical might of The Evil Horde who rule almost the planet and surrounding universe is interesting. On MOTU, Skeletor never really seems like a genuine threat, but we know that Hordak is a threat since he has already managed to conquer most of Etheria (even if his actions usually indicate that he is a buffoon).

I particularly enjoy the episodes where Adora's past as a Horde Force Captain is referenced and I also like the ones where Adora gets tired of everyone thinking that She-Ra is the only hero of The Great Rebellion and actually does some "heroics" as Adora instead of She-Ra. It's no "Legend of Korra", but it's pretty decent given the era when it was created (i.e. when cartoons were nothing more than glorified commercials for toys).
    Last edited by Haephestus; November 1, 2012 at 01:08am.